Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best upgrade for W1070?

Hi All,

I've had my W1070 for five years now and am thinking of upgrading. While I generally enjoy the W1070, the subpar black levels bother me so ideally looking for something with much better black levels and contrast ratio. 4K would be nice as I do have a 4k blu-ray player but not a must-have. The projector is currently ceiling mounted above where I sit with the lens 9 feet from a 100" AT screen. I wouldn't be able to move it any further back as it is only a few inches from the back wall. I have black velvet around the screen in a light controlled basement. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Also - primary usage would be for movies
post #3 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Unfortunately all the higher contrast projectors namely Epson, Sony and JVC require a longer throw. The projector bodies are also larger so lessening your throw even more. BenQ 3550 is your only option and has even worse native contrast then your w1070 but dynamically perceived contrast with 4K/hdr might be better.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 2731
Best upgrade for W1070?

The HT3550 will replace your W1070 without having to move your mount.

While rek is right, 4K DLPs do not have quite the native contrast as their best 1080p predecessors, in practice the Ht3550 has really good contrast. Thanks to some inspired tone mapping and the addition of a dynamic iris, the Ht3550 will typically look better than some HD DLPs with technically superior native contrast.

If you’re interested, I performed a comparison of the Ht3550 and the HT2050A in post 2 of my review thread. I did this specifically for people looking to upgrade from a W1070/HT1075/HT2050/HT2050A/HT3050.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...or-review.html

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I upgraded to a NX5 in your situation. However I moved into a new home with a dedicated media room so all light controlled. My primary use is movies and tv (sports) and it has been working fine for the past month or so. Probably way more than your budget but figured I’d go to a bigger upgrade and hopefully be set for a while.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice/suggestions. I was looking at the H3550 as it would be the easiest upgrade but after reading some of the complaints on here and Amazon about various bugs I'm a bit leery of spending so much on it. I am intrigued by the dynamic iris and WCG as that should improve black levels (I'm currently using an ND filter on my W1070 to cut the brightness) although I'm not sure if I would be sensitive to iris pumping and if the lower native contrast would bother me. Proper HDR tonemapping would be good - I'm using SDR conversion on my 4k UHD player (Panny UB200) but it does clip highlights. Other thought would be get a better 1080p projector and upgrade the blu-ray player to one that can do better tonemapping to SDR like the Panny 820 but that does add to the cost.

Other idea would be to rearrange the room. It's tricky because the area is a shared space in a half-finished basement. The finished side of the basement in total is about 40' deep x 11.5' wide with 7' ceilings. The front area serves as the living area/media center but I'm projecting on the short end of the front section as it works better with the seating.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 2731
Best upgrade for W1070?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly328 View Post
Thanks all for the advice/suggestions. I was looking at the H3550 as it would be the easiest upgrade but after reading some of the complaints on here and Amazon about various bugs I'm a bit leery of spending so much on it. I am intrigued by the dynamic iris and WCG as that should improve black levels (I'm currently using an ND filter on my W1070 to cut the brightness) although I'm not sure if I would be sensitive to iris pumping and if the lower native contrast would bother me. Proper HDR tonemapping would be good - I'm using SDR conversion on my 4k UHD player (Panny UB200) but it does clip highlights. Other thought would be get a better 1080p projector and upgrade the blu-ray player to one that can do better tonemapping to SDR like the Panny 820 but that does add to the cost.

Other idea would be to rearrange the room. It's tricky because the area is a shared space in a half-finished basement. The finished side of the basement in total is about 40' deep x 11.5' wide with 7' ceilings. The front area serves as the living area/media center but I'm projecting on the short end of the front section as it works better with the seating.

The HT3550 had a rough launch. That being said, benQ has improved the firmware (we’re now on 1.0.2) and does package the projector with a 3 year warranty. The wide color filter I find a bit superfluous with SDR content but enjoy for HDR content. The iris, for me, is best kept at low strength to avoid pumping. An alternative is to use the lamp dimming which I actually use when watching with some light in the room.

For 4K picture quality the HT3550 is, IMO, the best option at it’s price point. But it is, obviously, not the only option if you can stretch your budget a little. For another $500 Epson will sell you a 4010. The 4010 is a different animal. First of all, it’s enormous, more comparable to higher end 3LCD/LCOS projectors with it’s large chassis and trick motorized lens. Native contrast is about on par with HD DLP and it has an iris to improve things further. It’s not actually 4K— Epson’s pixel shifting results in only half the pixels the HT3550 and other 4K DLPs produce. It’s still sharp but not in the same ballpark as DLP. To this point, Epson’s MEMC doesn’t work in 4K and they didn’t even bother equipping the 4010 with a full bandwidth HDMI so 4K/60 is not possible. Still, it comes equipped with a color filter and Epson has improved their HDR tone mapping greatly since last gen. Every review I’ve read of the 4010 has given it high marks for picture quality.

Personally, I prefer the DLP. In addition to saving some money, I like the sharper image while the contrast difference— which on paper seems significant— doesn’t fully materialize IRL. I really respect what Epson has done with the 4010 in bringing some premium features to an affordable projector. The motorized lens alone is a standout feature for the price. The flip side is the Epson is so large that placement in a smaller room can be a chore (it doesn’t sound like this will necessarily be an issue for you). And the motorized lens is really only any help at install UNLESS you’re running a 2.35:1 screen and want to adjust aspect ratios between the two on the fly— which is admittedly awesome but somewhat a niche case. If you’re a gamer, the Epson has lower input lag but I don’t really find either of these displays an ideal solution for gaming. The BenQ’s lag is too high and the Epson lacks an overdrive feature so blur is a problem in addition to lacking full bandwidth HDMI which limits it’s compatibility with future consoles.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 07-09-2019 at 05:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page