Xiaomi WEMAX A300 (L1668FCF) 4k 9000 lumens UST - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 54 Old 07-31-2019, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yking90 View Post
Well, guess what? They brought back the 8 point keystone adjustment with this one

Also, no, I ordered it from GB and I live in UAE and I didn't have to pay any additional duties

You ordered if from GB?
I thought these were Chinese retailers?

Does this mean there are some that are already landed in GB - so do not require international shipping if already in GB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 07-31-2019, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath91sl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yking90 View Post
Well, guess what? They brought back the 8 point keystone adjustment with this one [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

Also, no, I ordered it from GB and I live in UAE and I didn't have to pay any additional duties [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]

You ordered if from GB?
I thought these were Chinese retailers?

Does this mean there are some that are already landed in GB - so do not require international shipping if already in GB?

I'm quite sure he means ******** and not Great Britain.
post #33 of 54 Old 07-31-2019, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 86
it's really Best to ask around otherwise tihs would really grind your Gears!

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4

Last edited by wheelee; 07-31-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 Old 08-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsmadhu View Post
I’m wondering if there are any additional customs duties that we’ve to pay on top of the price on these websites?
I didn't have to pay any. Shipped out for the exact value on the products listing for me. From HK to USA... I think you only pay duties and stuff like that when you have to return, exchange, repair something form my understanding...
post #35 of 54 Old 08-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RS-232 Cable?

I received my A300 yesterday and still waiting on my UST Screen, but I noticed that they included a USB to RS-232 cable in the box and the manual mentions the cable being included. Anyone have any ideas if this means the projector is controllable via serial and if so what the codes are?

I've reached out to xiaomi with no response yet. Also translated entire manual and there is nothing else about the serial cable, just that it's included in the box.
post #36 of 54 Old 08-02-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc74 View Post
https://youtu.be/ORxPgkP7nWg

More details and a better video later...
If the A300's superiority over any other projector in the Xioami ecosystem is "a tough call!!" then in my estimation, every parameter listed by the vendors is suspect. From contrast to brightness, to lamp life and color gamut.

Would rtings.com do an objective tests on the entire ecosystem of projectors I wonder? I mean at some point someone has got to stop drinking the cool aid and verify what is being pumped don't they? Especially considering how half-hazardly the specs are presented, in moving target units, first lumens, then Chinese lumens, then ANSI lumens, then Nits for example. The myriad of white label offerings for Xioami ecosystem projectors. The power supply being inaccurately labeled other than its purported functional range of 90 to 220 V. These are not good signs...

My A300 just landed in L.A. today and I'm having buyers remorse worrying that I just actually bought a pixel shifting Xioami Mijia along with a giant sized portion of age-old hype...
post #37 of 54 Old 08-02-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummm View Post
If the A300's superiority over any other projector in the Xioami ecosystem is "a tough call!!" then in my estimation, every parameter listed by the vendors is suspect. From contrast to brightness, to lamp life and color gamut.

Would rtings.com do an objective tests on the entire ecosystem of projectors I wonder? I mean at some point someone has got to stop drinking the cool aid and verify what is being pumped don't they? Especially considering how half-hazardly the specs are presented, in moving target units, first lumens, then Chinese lumens, then ANSI lumens, then Nits for example. The myriad of white label offerings for Xioami ecosystem projectors. The power supply being inaccurately labeled other than its purported functional range of 90 to 220 V. These are not good signs...

My A300 just landed in L.A. today and I'm having buyers remorse worrying that I just actually bought a pixel shifting Xioami Mijia along with a giant sized portion of age-old hype...

I would say to do any tests/reviews with a decent projector screen.

Projecting against a wall won’t allow any projectors to be their best. And it would make it very difficult to see differences between projector performance.

The video in the post above is projected without the use of a screen.

post #38 of 54 Old 08-02-2019, 06:26 PM

Liked: 3
Exclamation And now I have received an infraction...... Seriously? like for real!

Ok... I just logged in for the first time since I made the video comparing the old and the new and found that I have received an "Infraction"!!

Wow...
post #39 of 54 Old 08-04-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc74 View Post
Ok...
Wow...
Your impressions Sir, are alone putting the Xiomi ecosystem in it's rightful order. Nobody else has offered a comparison between such vastly different spec'd projectors. I read on your Youtube video that they AVSforum nixed your follow up comments and vilified you. Is AVSforums like HeadFi where they also make your post irrecoverable in such instances?

Or can you copy what you said and share it elsewhere more facilitating?

P.S. Forum politics may not be to blame here. You might have just been interceded by the filter algorithms, no? Anyway I'm looking forward to hearing how bad of an investment I made in my A300 currently going through customs as opposed to any of the substantially less expensive 4k ones...
post #40 of 54 Old 08-09-2019, 11:28 PM

I've been utilizing the Wemax A300 for a few days now and can say that it is indeed very bright to the point that it can hurt your eyes at night. Here it is with the florescents in my door room on as well. It was already set to English and there was no need to sideload anything for that.

The vendor I bought it from in Hong Kong I think also opens it and inspects it before shipping it out which helps with ensuring you don't get a dud and have to do all of the loss mitigation no one wants to undertake, especially with a foreign vendor.

But that does mean there will be greasy fingerprints on the product, scuffs on cords and dust/debri on the lens window. Mine shipped to me with a spec of dust on the inside of the glass. I can't see any effect on the image and those specs eventually form anyway but just a point to keep in mind if you are gifting one of these.

Last edited by Hummm; 08-09-2019 at 11:32 PM.
post #41 of 54 Old 08-09-2019, 11:56 PM

My only input device is my engineering laptop which is a Fujitsu T726 with an i7-6600u and integrated HD Graphics 520 sitting on the dedicated Fujitsu docking station. It took me days to research the capabilities of this laptop, the Xiaomi ecosystem of USTs and surprisingly even the cables and was fortunate that the disparate information that I found was indeed true.

The 520 graphics support 4k @ 60 Hz but no HDR over display port only on the T726 which requires the docking station I use anyhow. I found the perfect cable for the 520 in the following which also supports my laptops maximum resolution, is full size Display Port to HDMI, but does not support HDR which turned out to be perfect although I would have prefered a shorter length which I couldn't find.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am running the A300 directly from a US 120 Volt outlet without any Voltage conversion using a basic $6 adapter.

Unfortunately this leads the unit to produce a constant high pitched whine which fortunately for me is not an issue since I am in a dorm room a public university in California where I invariably consume media wearing bluetooth, noise cancelling headphones so I don't usually hear it.

Fujitsu does not recommend the latest graphics driver for this laptop for whatever reason so when I first connected the laptop my graphics settings maxed out a 30 Hz which I was surprised to see that the A300 displayed without issue. I updated the firmware on my 520 graphics and now am using 4k @ 60 Hz although I can change the refresh rate to suit my application and just streamed James Bond: The World is not Enough from Amazon with my graphics "card" set to 24 Hz and the A300 displayed it at that refresh rate without incident. I had heard that these Chinese projectors were locked at 60 Hz and actually bought this one under that presumption. Yet another cultural quirk of electronic marketing which stumps me as an electrical engineering student given that such specifications are "touch points" facilitating the supply chains viability. Go figure...

[IMG][/IMG]
post #42 of 54 Old 08-10-2019, 12:35 AM

I'm using the projector against a white wall since I am forbidden by The State to attach anything to the walls. I can't speak on how this projector compares to others in it's line or the market but I can say it is easily bright enough to strain your eyes and I have to mitigate the units brightness with Windows 10 Night Light settings and Microsoft Edges Night Eye extension in conjunction with tempering the A300 via it's own menus. So right now the colors at night are warped toward red since turning down the brightness shrouds most of the detail in media I have to keep the brightness as high as I can and use settings on my inputs to temper the A300 at this early juncture.

If you look at the vendors reviews for the A300 there is a gentleman from Ireland who shows you a short Youtube clip of him using it in daylight conditions and it indeed does look LCD bright like. I too afraid to post the Youtube link here since AVSforum fried the last guy who did so.

The unit appears to autofocus itself and fine adjustments are adequate although they are on a part of the menu which is not translated. One of my favorite thing is the SPDIF out. My previous projector didn't have one so I had to use an HDMI audio extractor which wouldn't decode DTS. The A300 does decode DTS (not sure the maximum channel count DTS version though) and I can consequently shoot the audio out of the projector via optical to an APTX-LL bluetooth transmitter to feed my bluetooth headphones of choice for anything I want noticeable bass frequencies in, the Denon AH-GC20 which are best in class as far as I've been able to establish having gone through:

1. Denon AH-GC20
2. Plantronics Backbeat Pro 1
3. Audio Technia WS990BT
4. Bang and Olufsen H9
5. Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2
6. Bose Quite Comfort Q35 i
7. Sony XB950N1
8. Nuraphone G2

That is the ranking I assessed these bluetooth noise cancelling headphones using Windows 10, Peter's equalizer APO, Tidal HiFi streaming, and a completely digital sound path implemented with a Soundblaster Omni soundcard for USB to optical and the same APTX transmitter I'm still currently using.

Maybe I will open a separate thread discussing NC headphones since people default to Sony's mx series or Bose Quite Comforts. I'm haven't heard the popular Sony's because I specifically am after something that is going to be able to pump bass and anything monitor like is not what I would use for media. I have HiBy and Sony Android DAPs and IEMs for that kind of stuff and wouldn't use bluetooth anything for critical listening. I can say I found a set of Quite Comforts a fellow student forgot in the bathroom one night and they are the only headphone on my list that I had to turn DOWN the bitrate for on my computer in order for them to receive the signal. They are only rated above the Sony XB950N1 for build quality. Note the Audio Technicas listed above have the most fidelity and are the most accurate but surprising, besides being marketed as "Solid Bass" actually have very little bass, most certainly not embellished in any perceivable measure, and that marketing designation is a misnomer. The Audio Technicas are the highest fidelity bluetooth headphones I've heard and are several leagues above Quite Comforts. I can only deduce that if the Bose are seriously competing, irrespective of fanboy hype, with the mx-series Sonys that they resolve better than those too.

Anyhow I might erase all this headphone stuff and put in a new thread. The point is I'm disinclined to use the inbuilt speaker of the A300 since I'm in a dorm room and habitually respect my fellow customers / peers / neighbors...

P.S. What I've learned since getting this unit which is my first 4k display is that for whatever reason streaming services are disinclined to stream 4k over desktop internet browsers even if your hardware can handle it and much like HDR, USB-C, Xioami ecosystem UST projectors, and Display Port there is a great deal of confusion pursuant to lack of specificity on the industries part regarding these tech products. I'm under the impression that I will need a TV box like a Roku, Fire stick etc to get the most out of this projector. I'm set on a Nvidia Sheild TV, which unlike my 6th generation Intel laptop can also do HDR although I have compunctions about spending full original retail price for a 4 year old device even though in an ecological sense it is good that it has held it's value since then because they don't end up being haphazardly desoldered in India or Africa by peasants for subsistence.

Last edited by Hummm; 08-10-2019 at 12:53 AM.
post #43 of 54 Old 08-10-2019, 01:21 AM

I'm too jealous to watch professional sports (a lot of politics in who gets a shot in sports) but I can say that I don't notice any extraneous smearing or anything during fast action but you might want to ask the guy from Ireland more about that. I also couldn't begin to tell you what the lag is although I feel like the vendor should have more specifics available considering they have two Youtube channels dedicated to showcasing their less expensive wares.

Look at the Youtube video entitled "MESTEK DM100 Digital Multimeter Maintenance Tool" (again I'm too scared to post the link directly) and you will see that they use equipment ranging from $1k to $20k+ to showcase the product. It would be trivial for them to validate the lumens, input voltage, noise and maybe even color gamut of these units if they were so inclined yet they focus their studio on aggrandizing toys... electronics marketing is getting weird beyond the inflated stats of yesteryear from less reputable manufacturers in such industries as car audio. There is like a growing opaque sheen forming over the market place.

I already have to use google to search Amazon for electronics otherwise I would be on Amazon for hours, which I have often been trying to wade through their busted search results which are often seemingly arbitrary and lately have been further mangled by immensely distracting sponsored links.
post #44 of 54 Old 08-10-2019, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Greetings Hummm, hope you're having fun with the a300. It does comes with gold trim, and is supposed to use a quieter fan...
Anyway, I wonder if you've had any chance to install YoutubeTV on this unit and getting 4K HDR contents to play correctly?
Thanks and best regards,
post #45 of 54 Old 08-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Has anyone tested the input lag on it? Very curious if it's as high as the previous Xiaomi offerings.
post #46 of 54 Old 08-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
...install YoutubeTV... and [get] 4K HDR...?
Your suggesting that instead of a TV Box like an Nvidia Sheild I might be able to stream directly in the units smart features. That is an idea. I just plugged in the Ethernet and had some trouble with the internet log in page. The A300 takes me to it easily enough but the check box proved difficult for it to work with. Furthermore when I plug in a keyboard it thinks I'm trying to form Chinese words so I can't even type English. It was quirky. I had to put in my credentials with the A300 remote, go the check box, plug in the keyboard, then press enter on the check box with the keyboard in order to log satisfy the fields of my internet log in.

The result is many more untranslated Chinese tabs and thumbnails, most of which do not work. There is no Android App store since this is a sandboxed Chinese OS on which Youtube seemingly does not exist using the inbuilt Chinese Appstore. I would image one might sideload Google Apps or what I would prefer to do in lieu of getting a TV Box is supplant the OS with a custom ROM like the Youtube video "Xiaomi projector root and English menus" guides viewers through although at this juncture I'll wait until someone else with an A300 successfully does so. I think that would make the inbuilt software immensely more functional, unlock the playstore and facilitate the streaming quality the projector is capable of...

Anyone rooted the A300 yet?
post #47 of 54 Old 08-10-2019, 05:19 PM

Connecting the A300 to the internet didn't do anything useful for me. One thing that surprised me immensely though is that its "Media Center" app accesses all of the content on my Qnap NAS automatically. It just found the NAS which shares a switch with it and can access everything on it including password protected files which is somewhat troubling.

The A300 poses a business liability for that reason and I would be careful with it on a network containing IP. The Qnap doesn't just let my Windows 10 computer access all of the files although it too is on the same switch. Nor does Windows 10 let the A300 access its contents. The Qnap is an open door to the A300 however which lists the NAS as an SMB device...
post #48 of 54 Old 08-10-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
The Qnap is an open door to the A300 however which lists the NAS as an SMB device...
I really hope that information is not used for nefarious purposes. I guess I'm morally obligated to report it to Qnap posthaste.
post #49 of 54 Old 08-10-2019, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The xda forum has a thread on rooting xm4k that you may find helpful.
Most chinese made devices do not come with gapps installed. You may have to begin by first installing the framework and play services before anything else.
Best regards,
post #50 of 54 Old 08-10-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Unfortunately this leads the unit to produce a constant high pitched whine which fortunately for me is not an issue since I am in a dorm room a public university in California where I invariably consume media wearing bluetooth, noise cancelling headphones so I don't usually hear it.
That whine exists on my 1080p international version as well which is rated 110 volt officially. Although they probably all use the same PSU.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #51 of 54 Old 08-12-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 31
From what I am gathering this is basically a re branded Wemax One (which I own and love) with an added power button and some spiked up watt usage and not even a real 4K UST but rather a pixel-shifting gimmick. Initially I was excited and almost pulled the trigger but thank goodness I became aware that I will eventually end up buying something that I already own and for a grand more.
post #52 of 54 Old 08-17-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samckaz View Post
...I am gathering this is basically a... pixel-shifting gimmick...
The A300 is substantially better than a 1080p projector, I've personally previously owned the LG PF1000u and I wouldn't trade down to a WEMAX 1080p whatsit sans pixel shifting technology, not even for upwards of a $1k refund. Cinema or Native 4k chips are low volume products due to their intricacy/expense and the market for them is select. That is why few manufacturers implement their products using them especially when the performance disparity between faux-k and native is purportedly slight. Resolution has not even been the frontier of display technology for years now. It is instead wide color gamut and contrast ratio i.e. HDR, which 1080p displays are not spec'ed to have...

Can you intelligibly communicate any personal experience assessing projectors of the two varieties "gimmick[y]" vs. non-"gimmick[y]", neither of which you evidently have?

Outside of the Sony is there even a non-"gimmick" laden UST of the 4k variety available or reportedly planned by anyone anywhere? What you refer to as "real"...

Last edited by Hummm; 08-17-2019 at 09:41 PM.
post #53 of 54 Old Today, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
Has anyone got any information on this? They have a 5000 lumen model that ends up around 1700 measured in real life use. I am hoping for around 3000 calibrated actual lumens for this 9000 lumen model.
I'm new to the projector world, and I'm curious about something. You don't seem shocked or offended. So I'm curious if this is normal for all projectors or just Xiaomi brand? Lets take Epson for example, if their projector says 4000 lumens, is that what we're getting? Or, will there be a drop off in real life too?

That fact that you're not upset, and still willing to buy their 9k lumens projector, but hoping for at least 3k real world use tells me this is common in this world.

Please advise. I'm a newbie and I'd like an UST that will be great during daytime too. Thanks!
post #54 of 54 Old Today, 02:11 PM

iam looking for a projector... pretty new to this

iam looking at this projector or an epson 5050ub, this one looks simple(i have an nvidiashield tv) so iam not really into the smartfeatures
but performance whise.. and i will be using it in the living room.watching tv and movies..( i dont watch alot of tv) i want to setup a 120'' you think the xiaomi would suit me better or the epson?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page