Xiaomi WEMAX A300 (L1668FCF) 4k 9000 lumens UST - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #61 of 92 Old 08-28-2019, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ortega View Post
So if i understood correctly i should go for the lg cinebeam instead of the epson5050/5040, or is the optoma p1 worth the wait? My ideal throw distance would be 12-13feet i want to acheive 100-120inch screen, and its a living room (all white..) condo. I could set it up on a tower in the back at 17ft, i would like i ust so i can acheive a "cleaner" look since my ceiling is concrete and i have a concret Beam (11 inch height) on the ceiling 6 feet from the wall i want to project on (parallel)
That is my personal recommendation, as an electrical engineering student and owner of the A300. If you are willing to wait for a Optima P1 for which a launch date is not even given and have the room for something comparable but not UST, then get something with a manufacturers warranty which none of these imported units have.

I think the Cinebeam or something similar, is a good stop gap for people while they wait for that rumored $3k Optima P1 mythical unicorn to fly down or even a launch date to be given. I would not import any Xioami ecosystem product unless there was dire need. And I'm unsure why anyone would import a Xioami 1080p model over a LG PF1000 or such for instance except for a better incorporated bluetooth speaker and better design without the large exposed mirror. Neither attribute is worth importing an alternative to me, unless the price was appreciably lower but 1080p Xioami ecosystem models are actually more expensive than LGd UST. Maybe people import 1080p Xioami UST because they hope it is brighter than an LG?

What I'm saying is even if a Cinebeam refurb was on 24/7 before you get it, there will still be way more life in it left then you can possibly use before the next best thing comes along substantially better than an A300 or Cinebeam.

That's what I would do, hedge my bets something nearly ideal will be out soon enough to kind of wait for and just buy something discounted to hold me over for now instead of importing something half-cocked like the A300 unless you absolutely can not have but a UST, and you need it today, or yesterday. Those are the only two reasons I would buy this personally.

I mean some of the long throw projectors out there offer more technology for the money, that's what I would pursue.

Last edited by Hummm; 08-28-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 92 Old 08-28-2019, 10:39 PM

A300, daylight brightness mode, User picture setting profile with brightness at about 70 which was the maximum value I could still get a respectably recognizable image quickly for picture purposes. As you can see my windows are open but there is a rather large overhang of about 10 feet beyond my window in addition to copious 100+ foot tall Redwood trees preventing my designated nesting chamber from incurring direct sunshine, so I also turned on the room fluorescent light to better demonstrate the units performance. My recent import has been running continuously since it's delivery a few weeks ago. Given the lifespan of the light source and my previous ownership history of two other UST's most competitive in price at the time of their purchase, I predict that I will likely be anxious to trade up to a subsequent market leader when this thing bites the dust.

Keep in mind that the image is projected onto a wall coated with ordinary white paint and slightly textured in the "Orange Peel" pattern. Not an ideal projection surface since there are discernible non-uniformities in sharpness however it is hardly distracting. I wish there was a menu keeping track of how many hours were on the projector. Given the light source is a wear part it would be nice to have access to that number like laptops and phones give for their battery but it seems that the industry hasn't done so since DLP was used for those awkward rear projection TV's...

Last edited by Hummm; 08-28-2019 at 10:57 PM.
post #63 of 92 Old 08-29-2019, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ortega View Post
So if i understood correctly i should go for the lg cinebeam instead of the epson5050/5040, or is the optoma p1 worth the wait? My ideal throw distance would be 12-13feet i want to acheive 100-120inch screen, and its a living room (all white..) condo. I could set it up on a tower in the back at 17ft, i would like i ust so i can acheive a "cleaner" look since my ceiling is concrete and i have a concret Beam (11 inch height) on the ceiling 6 feet from the wall i want to project on (parallel)
That is my personal recommendation, as an electrical engineering student and owner of the A300. If you are willing to wait for a Optima P1 for which a launch date is not even given and have the room for something comparable but not UST, then get something with a manufacturers warranty which none of these imported units have.

I think the Cinebeam or something similar, is a good stop gap for people while they wait for that rumored $3k Optima P1 mythical unicorn to fly down or even a launch date to be given. I would not import any Xioami ecosystem product unless there was dire need. And I'm unsure why anyone would import a Xioami 1080p model over a LG PF1000 or such for instance except for a better incorporated bluetooth speaker and better design without the large exposed mirror. Neither attribute is worth importing an alternative to me, unless the price was appreciably lower but 1080p Xioami ecosystem models are actually more expensive than LGd UST. Maybe people import 1080p Xioami UST because they hope it is brighter than an LG?

What I'm saying is even if a Cinebeam refurb was on 24/7 before you get it, there will still be way more life in it left then you can possibly use before the next best thing comes along substantially better than an A300 or Cinebeam.

That's what I would do, hedge my bets something nearly ideal will be out soon enough to kind of wait for and just buy something discounted to hold me over for now instead of importing something half-cocked like the A300 unless you absolutely can not have but a UST, and you need it today, or yesterday. Those are the only two reasons I would buy this personally.

I mean some of the long throw projectors out there offer more technology for the money, that's what I would pursue.
What a big wall you have... why don’t you get a proper screen?

Black-Tactical.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 92 Old 08-29-2019, 11:30 AM

Liked: 4
Everything just looks better in black....hahahaha

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...pe=3&sfns=xmwa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2530F713-60E1-4A9F-A893-0CDF64F2AB49_1567099785143.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2608680  
Casey_Bryson likes this.

Black-Tactical.com
post #65 of 92 Old 08-30-2019, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I will... A nice screen but if its a ust i would buy a corresponding screen (electric tab tensioned that would hide in a cabinet) if its a ub5050 iam not sure maybe i would put a fixed frame screen. Thats why i was talking about the wall (just giving reference to the placement of things and my obstacles.) Ust = clean look (i will hide screen with nlt in use since nothing shows) regular throw... I might but in a tower on the back wall but might get people passing in front of lens when watching movie..) ceiling would just make things messy
post #66 of 92 Old 09-01-2019, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am very interested in this product, but not especially for daylight viewing.....

I am going all winter to Thailand, taking a XGIMI Z6 Polar with me in my suitcase. I have at home a Sony VW 95 projector, that starts to show its age. Although I can make my living-room quite dark, and my very good Beamax screen helps for more contrast, I am not thrilled by it, and even the cheap Z 6, gives a more crisp impression, except of nocturnal scenes. Not bad for the price.

Now this projector, I may not be so interested in that daylight stuff, a movie has to be seen in the dark, I do wonder how this projector handles HDR, and if on regular 1080 P, image would be better then on my Sony. Many people state that HDR is all fine, but more problematic, on Projectors then TV.

Also, except my concerns about video quality, how is fluidity, movements? I am not a fan of motion enchanters, on the Sony, I put it off, but I also hate movements are not fluent and natural. Comes the next question, if this projector handels 50/60/24 hz material equally well.

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
post #67 of 92 Old 09-02-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
Has anyone got any information on this? They have a 5000 lumen model that ends up around 1700 measured in real life use. I am hoping for around 3000 calibrated actual lumens for this 9000 lumen model.
hi, just wondering what happens if the light source is that bright, wouldnt the black be overexposed and look washed out? Or is the case, always the brighter the better for projectors? And can anyone clarify its indeed 3000 lumens? I suspect manufacturer probably make their lumens rating base on the power of the laser but power rating of a light source doesnt always translate into lumens.
post #68 of 92 Old 09-05-2019, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
even running wemax A300 at 220V , it is still have an incessant high pitch whine,I think it because of the Laser technology——XPR.
It is said that all non-native 4K USTs have this situation, but some manufacturers' models are not too obvious, such as LUNE 4K PRO, perhaps because the it is much bigger than A300.
post #69 of 92 Old 09-06-2019, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyevo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
Has anyone got any information on this? They have a 5000 lumen model that ends up around 1700 measured in real life use. I am hoping for around 3000 calibrated actual lumens for this 9000 lumen model.
hi, just wondering what happens if the light source is that bright, wouldnt the black be overexposed and look washed out? Or is the case, always the brighter the better for projectors? And can anyone clarify its indeed 3000 lumens? I suspect manufacturer probably make their lumens rating base on the power of the laser but power rating of a light source doesnt always translate into lumens.
The brighter image allows you to use a grey, silver or black screen to increase the blacks. If you have a dim image you are stuck with a white screen to keep the brightness but like you said you end up with milky blacks when you use a white screen.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #70 of 92 Old 09-06-2019, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[quote=Hummm;58404824]My only input device is my engineering laptop which is a Fujitsu T726 with an i7-6600u and integrated HD Graphics 520 sitting on the dedicated Fujitsu docking station. It took me days to research the capabilities of this laptop, the Xiaomi ecosystem of USTs and surprisingly even the cables and was fortunate that the disparate information that I found was indeed true.

The 520 graphics support 4k @ 60 Hz but no HDR over display port only on the T726 which requires the docking station I use anyhow. I found the perfect cable for the 520 in the following which also supports my laptops maximum resolution, is full size Display Port to HDMI, but does not support HDR which turned out to be perfect although I would have prefered a shorter length which I couldn't find.

I am running the A300 directly from a US 120 Volt outlet without any Voltage conversion using a basic $6 adapter.

Unfortunately this leads the unit to produce a constant high pitched whine which fortunately for me is not an issue since I am in a dorm room a public university in California where I invariably consume media wearing bluetooth, noise cancelling headphones so I don't usually hear it.

Fujitsu does not recommend the latest graphics driver for this laptop for whatever reason so when I first connected the laptop my graphics settings maxed out a 30 Hz which I was surprised to see that the A300 displayed without issue. I updated the firmware on my 520 graphics and now am using 4k @ 60 Hz although I can change the refresh rate to suit my application and just streamed James Bond: The World is not Enough from Amazon with my graphics "card" set to 24 Hz and the A300 displayed it at that refresh rate without incident. I had heard that these Chinese projectors were locked at 60 Hz and actually bought this one under that presumption. Yet another cultural quirk of electronic marketing which stumps me as an electrical engineering student given that such specifications are "touch points" facilitating the supply chains viability. Go figure...

Thats a surprise for me as well that you actually managed to set the A300 to a refresh rate not equal to 60 Hz. Would you please do me a favour and try to persuade the projector to accept 50 Hz ?! I am looking for a brighter replacement for my LG Adagio (LED-based UST 1080p) but 60hz with judder and stutter effects is a no go for me ...
I mainly watch 24 and 50 fps content! Thx in advance!
post #71 of 92 Old 09-06-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The obvious and continuous high pitched whine, as well as the obvious fan noise, is the reason that prevented me from buying the wemax A300, because these make the wemax A300 too inconsistent with it price.
post #72 of 92 Old 09-06-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JX Liu View Post
The obvious and continuous high pitched whine, as well as the obvious fan noise, is the reason that prevented me from buying the wemax A300, because these make the wemax A300 too inconsistent with it price.
I think all (or most) of the xiaomi's suffer from this, though?
post #73 of 92 Old 09-06-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Xinglong View Post
What a big wall you have... why don’t you get a proper screen?
The wall belongs to The State (California) who expressly forbids leaving any marks on it including wear and especially holes...

I had to learn the hard way, and only after being woken up in my bed at my own home from otherwise normal sound sleep by one of their armed henchmen (policeman) tazing me awake, kicking me in my stomach until I defecated in my attire while still continuing to simultaneously taze me, rob me of several thousand dollars of legally obtained cash through secret forfeiture proceedings, left in a cold waiting cell for 13 days with no blanket, mattress or cup before being mis-sentenced with fabricated enhancements, that when The State says "jump" my only recourse is to ask "how high" and anticipate sometime thereafter having to inevitably prostrate myself once more, on command, for my own wellbeing...

No, I don't put **** on the walls besides projections in their directions. That is for my own safety considering the history I've recounted and the general impunity under which capitalist's enforcers operate... For instance the cop who shoots a hoodlum already in custody because his Batman belt is all screwy and not up to code.

https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/vid...blank-62383137

Last edited by Hummm; 09-06-2019 at 12:48 PM.
post #74 of 92 Old 09-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas2k View Post
Thats a surprise for me as well that you actually managed to set the A300 to a refresh rate not equal to 60 Hz. Would you please do me a favour and try to persuade the projector to accept 50 Hz ?! I am looking for a brighter replacement for my LG Adagio (LED-based UST 1080p) but 60hz with judder and stutter effects is a no go for me ...
I mainly watch 24 and 50 fps content! Thx in advance!
Yes, I run mine at 50Hz every day because although I bought the best passive DisplayPort to HDMI cable I could find using Amazon's ever worsening, bloated, and irrelevant search results, I experience noise on the screen at 60 Hz when using the A300's "monitor" preset which must be because my laptop's dedicated docking station's DisplayPort output voltage is borderline for a 6ft cable. The 6th generation of mobile intel graphics is already maxed out with this arrangement having only h.264 hardware decoding which drastically ups the demands on the cable.

The A300 will do your requisite frequencies. I've used them all myself. But you don't set it via a menu in the projector but rather it will match what your source is providing automatically. I can freely adjust the refresh rate in Windows after the obligatory navigation through several hierarchical steps down through its ubiquitously ill-sized explorer containing only a partial list of pertinent needs alongside links to Microsoft "help" web pages containing next to nothing of import other than motivation to use the Microsoft forum where you are instructed to try a list of 10 things...

Regardless, anyone considering an A300 should instead be looking at a OptomaX P1 which ships in 9 days.

FORGET ABOUT THE A300, A DOMESTIC PRODUCT FROM AN ESTABLISHED COMPANY IS YOUR BEST BET. NAMELY THE OPTIMAx p1...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58498352
g4s, mas2k and TTBear like this.

Last edited by Hummm; 09-06-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #75 of 92 Old 09-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummm View Post
The wall belongs to The State (California) who expressly forbids leaving any marks on it including wear and especially holes...
You can mount the frame on a stand made from ikea parts. No drilling required.
Hummm likes this.
post #76 of 92 Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
press the 3 lines on your remote and under playback settings choose hdmi 2.0 and you will achieved the 60 hz you will looking for, no judder and stutter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F246C903-BCA2-4369-A7AA-198768C265AD_1568051729717.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2612944  
post #77 of 92 Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26

Thought I'd share a quick photo. It's not in its permanent home (mid-move!) but I wanted to see how the A300 looked on the Vividstorm ALR screen. Even directly by a window, which it won't be in the future, the picture is fantastic. A photo doesn't capture it quite right, but the brightness is great. This combo will be built into a media console and will replace my TV in the living room.
Brajesh, Casey_Bryson and g4s like this.
post #78 of 92 Old 09-29-2019, 05:38 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JX Liu View Post
Maybe that high pitch whine are not present on every Wemax A300? I have read that some Milja UST laser projectors had that noise too and many others not,must be isolated case.
post #79 of 92 Old 09-29-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyevo View Post

Yes I suspect that is the case. I don't believe that Wemax A300 can push that much lumens or ether that is too much brighter then Milja 4k as power consumption are similar rated like on Milja 4k. How can one projector make so much brighter image without significant higher power drain from the outlet. It doesn't make any sense to me.
post #80 of 92 Old 09-29-2019, 06:21 PM

Just found this Wemax A300 video review, it looks interesting
He compare A300 to the Milja 4k as well. Video seems nice and well informative.
As far those advertised ''9000'' lumens goes A300 seems that is not really ''that'' much brighter then Xiaomi 4k. I thing the Wemax has only higher the brightness in picture profile settings
That's why it looks a bit wash out in some of those movie scenes. It seems that Milja 4k is still the best choice when it comes to price tag.
post #81 of 92 Old 09-30-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Williams View Post
Maybe that high pitch whine are not present on every Wemax A300? I have read that some Milja UST laser projectors had that noise too and many others not,must be isolated case.
I have that high pitch on mine and heard it on others too. Does anyone not have it?

For reference this is the noise (not the fan sound):

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #82 of 92 Old 09-30-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My A300 has a whine but it is not loud. I can never hear it over ambient noise of my home or if any audio whatsoever is playing. I can only hear it from <2 feet away from the projector, so I consider it a non-issue.
post #83 of 92 Old 10-01-2019, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 35
nybody experience better input lag after rooting? Posting this here and in the Mijia and A300 threads since it may apply and possibly assist in sub 50ms input lag response times in 1080p:

Quote:
Looks like Rooting and installing the Xiaomi Mi Laser Projector tools might be the reason for the lower input lag according to the changelog:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...tools-t3851755

2.17 : added ability to reduce input lag and disable noise reduction by long pressing "back" button.

I'll try it later this week and report back.
post #84 of 92 Old 10-07-2019, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just found about this Wemax a 300 on line.
No demos in the U/K.

How would this PJ compare with others as a JVC X3 and other high end later bulb projectors...
post #85 of 92 Old 10-07-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
nybody experience better input lag after rooting? Posting this here and in the Mijia and A300 threads since it may apply and possibly assist in sub 50ms input lag response times in 1080p:
Just a follow-up with my experience after rooting: I'm not sure if it's 32ms or not, but it's much better than Monitor mode, which is better than Gaming mode, which is much better than any other mode/picture setting. The best part is you can use User mode settings with custom color, Dynamic Color, and Dynamic Contrast and achieve the best input lag. The projector tools that you install after rooting give you the option of disabling Noise Reduction AND De-interlacing, the latter of which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere and was one of the cons listed in Victor's review on youtube. So not only do you get a better input lag you also get a much sharper and cleaner picture than you could ever get even with Monitor mode

I know this is purely anecdotal evidence, but if User mode without rooting is 125-175ms+ and Monitor mode is 100ms then rooting with Noise and deinterlacing turned off has got to be between 75ms and what Gregory "Kraine" tested at 32ms even if his method of testing could be faulty. I used 4 player Mario Kart and used the "hop" button used in drifting to gauge the input lag/response in each mode in my testing, before and after rooting--Monitor Mode before root was acceptable but you could still see a difference. Rooting with all input lag options in effect it was very snappy and responsive. I could barely tell the difference between it and my TCL R6517 and it has an input lag of 18-23ms from what I've read. I'm not a professional gamer now, but I used to be a QA tester for several video game companies and I know what to look for.

So for whatever it's worth I'm pleasantly surprised with the 1080P results on my Fengmi 4k Cinema unit. Now to see if the input lag for 4K HDR gaming is acceptable.
post #86 of 92 Old 10-11-2019, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
any settings for hdr, although my netflix is playing hdr it doesnt look like its bright enough to be hdr, is there any switch i have to activate from projector, im using nvidia shield with 3840x2160 59.940 hz yuv 420 10 bit rec 2020
post #87 of 92 Old 10-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatching View Post
any settings for hdr, although my netflix is playing hdr it doesnt look like its bright enough to be hdr, is there any switch i have to activate from projector, im using nvidia shield with 3840x2160 59.940 hz yuv 420 10 bit rec 2020
HDR detection should be automatic. Did you enable HDMI 2.0? Does your Netflix show HDR next to the title of the movie or show? The projector Menu on the left side of the screen should be a little blown out and whiter than normal if you're in HDR mode.
post #88 of 92 Old 10-16-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 493
I confirm that the 9000 lumens are indeed absent.........

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/

The review is up, in French and in English
dreamstate and f.c.g. like this.
post #89 of 92 Old 10-17-2019, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
151 ms of lag... LOL
post #90 of 92 Old 10-18-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstate View Post
151 ms of lag... LOL
It was surprising to see the lag that high even with the noise reduction and de-interlacing disabled. I thought it would help all of the Xiaomi/Fengmi projectors, but not this one it appears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP