1080p vs 4k projector, strange new question I couldn't find the answer for - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By DunMunro
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
  • 1 Post By bud16415

post #1 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1080p vs 4k projector, strange new question I couldn't find the answer for

Hi everyone,
Over the years I have received great advice from here. I bought LG OLED 55" tv , and AFTER buying it I realize lot that I should have stuck with 1080p TV cause lot of images and videos (Netflix , amazon streaming and other SD source contents, etc) is not so high quality enough for 4K, that unless you are watching through bluray, they looks worst on 4K TV and 1080p TV would have been better choice. Now is it the same issue with 4k projectors?? Would lower quality SD contents which look good enough on 1080p TV resolution but suck in 4k resolution in TV would still look bad on 4K projector vs 1080p projector??? I tried searching on the net but no one had ask such a question or put any info out there. Let me know whats your experience has been! Thx!

Last edited by bigdaddycool; 07-14-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool View Post
Hi everyone,
Over the years I have received great advice from here. I bought LG OLED 55" tv , and AFTER buying it I realize lot that I should have stuck with 1080p TV cause lot of images and videos (Netflix , amazon streaming and other SD source contents, etc) is not so high quality enough for 4K, that unless you are watching through bluray, they looks worst on 4K TV and 1080p TV would have been better choice. Now is it the same issue with 4k projectors?? Would lower quality SD contents which look good enough on 1080p TV resolution but suck in 4k resolution in TV would still look bad on 4K projector vs 1080p projector??? I tried searching on the net but no one had ask such a question or put any info out there. Let me know whats your experience has been! Thx!
A lot of content is not going to look a whole lot better even when it's 4k, when viewed through a 55in TV, unless you're sitting very close.

To appreciate 4K you need a really big image and really finely focused source material so there will be scenes in 4K movies where they don't really show 4K to best effect, however, there will be times when the camera stops panning and focuses sharply when it looks really glorious. 1080p material that is upscaled by a good quality image processor can look a lot better on a 4K projector than on a 1080p projector.

Colour gamut and contrast is another area where 4K HDR can outperform 1080p, but not all 4K projectors can use the wider colour gamut available via HDR.
sage11x likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
A lot of content is not going to look a whole lot better even when it's 4k, when viewed through a 55in TV, unless you're sitting very close.

To appreciate 4K you need a really big image and really finely focused source material so there will be scenes in 4K movies where they don't really show 4K to best effect, however, there will be times when the camera stops panning and focuses sharply when it looks really glorious. 1080p material that is upscaled by a good quality image processor can look a lot better on a 4K projector than on a 1080p projector.

Colour gamut and contrast is another area where 4K HDR can outperform 1080p, but not all 4K projectors can use the wider colour gamut available via HDR.
Thanks for the info.......my main concern in 360p videos....those low quality ones all over the net. Now 1080p projector does good job with them to smoothed them out, same as 1080p tv. Problem starts when I hit 4k....360p videos looks terrible. But maybe 4k projector does good job??? If you got 4k projector...please just checkout 360p video on the screen and let me know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-15-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info.......my main concern in 360p videos....those low quality ones all over the net. Now 1080p projector does good job with them to smoothed them out, same as 1080p tv. Problem starts when I hit 4k....360p videos looks terrible. But maybe 4k projector does good job??? If you got 4k projector...please just checkout 360p video on the screen and let me know how it goes!
I have a fair collection of DVDs and I've been re-watching the HBO series "From the earth to the Moon" upscaled to 4K via my Sony X700 BD player on my 4K Optoma UHD50 (at ~145in,) and they look really good. I don't notice 360p content streamed from Youtube as being any worse on my UHD50 than on my 1080p HC1040 at roughly the same size, but streaming the same youtube video always looks better when the X700 upscales it, than when my PC upscales it.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I don't know what model of TV you have, but I know that cheaper TVs don't have as good of scalars in them as more expensive ones. I have a cheap TV and 480i looks like crap if I let the TV upscale. If I let my Sony BDP S3700 player do it ,it looks a lot better.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-16-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4784 Post(s)
Liked: 3068
Quote:
360p videos look terrible on a good sharp 4k projector. If it helps you get a feel for your question, on my JVC RS500, I was pretty happy with 720p content. On my RS4500 I consider 720p content almost unwatchable and min is 1080p content (which looks fantastic).

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-16-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
I think the OP is asking the wrong question.

Resolution is NOT the question. If you have a garbage video, it will look like garbage, regardless of the projector that it is showing on.

But, as video quality improves, there is still a step, which is of significant importance, and that is the quality of the video processor that is in the projector itself. This used to be a very common test with displays to use lower quality DVD content, and then run it through a HDTV and see how the lower resolution was handled by the display. I haven't seen this test in a while, but it is the main crux of the question.

The answer is that your LG 4K display is NOT the issue, but the video processing of the display you have isn't up to the task of dealing with lower resolution content.

When people pay more for displays, that is one of those costs that they often ask about.

"Why am I paying more for this display?" - "It has better video processing!" - "Why would I care about that?"

Now you know why you care about that.

Your 4K LG doesn't look bad with lower resolution content because of the resolution of the displays.
It looks bad because the video processing isn't as good as it needs to be to convert that lower resolution up to 4K smoothly.

Same is going to be the case with projectors and it really depends on the projector in use as to whether or not you get any real quality boost from the onboard video processing with low-quality content. Some may do a very good job, and some will not. Unfortunately, that's not a test I often go through when I try my displays out because the lowest quality I go with may be 720p HDTV or 1080i, from the cable box. When I stream from the Internet, off of YouTube or similar, I am not looking for, nor expecting quality video and I don't look at my display and blame the display for the cruddy video. I don't blame YouTube either. I blame myself for choosing to put cruddy video on my display.

Garbage in... garbage out.

Blaming your display for your poor choice of video content is ludicrous. If you have a projector, don't stream weak content from the Internet. Get good quality HD content and see how it performs.

That said, there are some excellent 1080p projectors out there which are almost a steal these days. They have great optics and fully developed processing engine with years of engineering behind them and an industry that is almost fully saturated in the resolution.

4K is an toddler technology by comparison with weak content support, so-so processing, and poor industry coherence on standardization and information. Especially when we get to the best quality HDR content.
ng4ever likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-16-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2065 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
I watch a lot of very poor content with streaming. I keep finding old TV series from the 50’s-80’s that I haven’t seen in years and want to watch again. It is poor transfers plus poor sources ported to a huge screen with the potential for high visual immersion.

These shows were intended to be watched on a 25” TV sitting 10’-12’ away. My variable zoom lets me view 65”-110” from 8’ away. The shows look awful full size but I zoom them down as far as they will go and they are still 4 times the screen area and look great. This type of content wouldn’t benefit from greater immersion no matter how good the quality was.

So IMO the counter part to poor resolution / poor transfer quality is greater pixel density.

I’m still rocking 1080p by the way.
ng4ever likes this.

Bud
post #9 of 10 Old 07-16-2019, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
I have a fair collection of DVDs and I've been re-watching the HBO series "From the earth to the Moon" upscaled to 4K via my Sony X700 BD player on my 4K Optoma UHD50 (at ~145in,) and they look really good. I don't notice 360p content streamed from Youtube as being any worse on my UHD50 than on my 1080p HC1040 at roughly the same size, but streaming the same youtube video always looks better when the X700 upscales it, than when my PC upscales it.
Do the sony x700 auto upscale when u select output as 4k?
Not sure if I'm missing out any upscaling.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrick View Post
Do the sony x700 auto upscale when u select output as 4k?
Not sure if I'm missing out any upscaling.

You can select the output resolution and whether to upscale to 4K or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page