Lumen/brightness decreasing lens cover? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-14-2019, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lumen/brightness decreasing lens cover?

Hey everyone,

I have a projector in a bedroom that is simply too bright to enjoy at night. What could I use as a sort of DIY way of dimming the projection so it's not lighting up the entire room and so harsh on our eyes? Thinking of something like window tint used in vehicles but in the form of a lens cover. I have similar things for my telescopento make it easier to look at the moon when it is bright. Same concept here. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-14-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 488
You can use a ND filter designed for cameras. It won't fit on the lens so you need to devise a way to stick it to the front of the lens with Velcro/tape or some other way. A ND gray screen is another option if the settings in the projector are not enough to tame it down.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 4 Old 07-15-2019, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I remember somewhere here in that you could use a Black screen if you a have a very bright pj or just keep the existing one & use an ND filter.

https://projectortop.com/black-proje...ich-is-better/

or DIY paint

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-15-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
What is the make/model of the projector that you have? What is the screen size?

Most projectors have a 'low power' lamp mode which dims the light output significantly.

You should also be sure to put the projector into 'theater' mode, or similar, which often has a significant reduction in light output, but often is one of the best viewing modes for the projector.

Make sure to calibrate the projector as well, as brightness and contrast settings may significantly impact image quality.

For those who care enough to have a projector with a good setup that exists in daytime/night viewing, they create presets, or know the settings to change so that they can switch between daytime viewing mode and nighttime viewing mode.

Depending on your projector model, this may be as simple as a single button press.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page