1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hawk71903

post #1 of 11 Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
ViewSonic PX725HD Thoughts

I purchased the PX725HD yesterday as the Prime Day Deal of the Day for under $500 with the Amazon credit, so I figured it was worth a shot. I’d been debating between this the HD27HDR, and the HT2050A, but jumped on this deal when I saw it.

Does anyone have any experience with this projector? There aren’t many reviews, but it seems comparable to the HT2050/3050 series. I currently have a BenQ MW526A(720p), so it seems this should be a decent upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-17-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk71903 View Post
I purchased the PX725HD yesterday as the Prime Day Deal of the Day for under $500 with the Amazon credit, so I figured it was worth a shot. I’d been debating between this the HD27HDR, and the HT2050A, but jumped on this deal when I saw it.

Does anyone have any experience with this projector? There aren’t many reviews, but it seems comparable to the HT2050/3050 series. I currently have a BenQ MW526A(720p), so it seems this should be a decent upgrade.
I think you got a wonderful deal and you are going to be blown away. I haven’t personally seen one in action but I own the predecessor Pro7827HD and love the thing having watched it daily for a couple years for all our evening viewing. It gets turned on about 7:00 and off around 12:00. TV OTA, movies streaming and BD and I have it also connected to my laptop and if I’m surfing the web and find something worthy of the 110” screen I pop it up there.

This 1080p RGBRGB DLP dark chip 3 technology is pretty bullet proof IMO and under 500 bucks there is nothing that will touch it. I don’t game on ours but this should also be a good one for that. You can also update the firmware on line something mine couldn’t do. The backlit remote I also wish mine had. Its fan noise is the same as mine and some people say it is too loud. I never notice it and it is not an uncomfortable sound if you do. The on screen audio covers it up very nicely I think. But a purest would hear it when the movie goes dead quiet.

You wont find much about Viewsonic here as there are no strong influencers here for Viewsonic.

Enjoy your new toy and coming from 720P you did great.

Keep us posted as to what you think when up and running.

Bud
post #3 of 11 Old 07-17-2019, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

That’s great to hear! I almost bought the Pro7827 refurb, but couldn’t pass up this deal. It should arrive on Friday. Can’t wait to check it out.
bud16415 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep the refurb while they last is a great deal. You get a little warranty with it at least enough if you had a problem right away they would send another.

But for 500 bucks stepping up to the full warranty is worth the little extra plus it is a 3 year newer design.

I think they left off a few nice features the older one had but they both have the large DMD chip and the RGBRGB color wheel and that’s the big things.

I wasn’t overly blown away with 720 – 1080 but I was with the black levels.

Good luck should be a fun weekend.

Bud
post #5 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Projector was delivered this afternoon. The display is simply stunning. Watched about 10 minutes of the Dunkirk blu and was floored. 3D looks exceptional as well(watched a bit of Infinity War). While only 2000 lumens, this Projector by far outperformed my 3300 lumen BenQ, even with all the lights on. The RGBRGB color wheel makes all the difference.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great to hear. Not that I didn’t expect your reaction.

If you look back in the review threads for this projector I commented a year ago about my expectations for it. I said they were doing the same thing with it that they did with the Pro 7827 HD, and it seems my prediction was correct. They build a pretty great projector with a couple minor flaws and then they price themselves just slightly higher than BenQ with a very similar product with the little flaws handled. In this case a couple dB of fan noise. And to be honest they add in some nice pluses that the BenQ doesn’t have but the cost issue sets the pace for the marketing. The projector doesn’t get the strong start out the gate and then they start offering crazy good pricing like found with the prime day deal. Some lucky folks like yourself take a chance but I’m willing to bet huge amounts of others let it sit in the shopping cart second guessing.

If history repeats every few months they will offer it up again at a good deal. After I bought my Pro 7827 HD for 499 six months later they had it for 399. I almost bought a spare. So anyone looking for a bargain but solid 1080p RGBRGB with the better bigger dark chip 3, should keep their eyes on this one.

Congrats on the new PJ and when you come back in 3 or 4 years thinking about upgrading again there should be some crazy new technologies down in our price range by then. Meanwhile enjoy your new toy and tell your friends it cost $5K and it is the latest 8k resolution. They will believe you as it will be so much more amazing than their 55” TVs.

Bud
post #7 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

The only lamp mode where I noticed the fan was in normal mode, and still it wasn’t as loud as my BenQ. Couldn’t hear it at all in Eco mode. Not really much of a difference in the picture between Normal and Eco. I know there have been reviews complaining of fan noise, but this one is whisper quiet. The only things I wish it had retained from the 7827 is lens shift and 2D keystone. For only paying $449, I feel as though I got a steal. My wife had complained about my purchase, but was immediately impressed with the upgrade in quality.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
The only lamp mode where I noticed the fan was in normal mode, and still it wasn’t as loud as my BenQ. Couldn’t hear it at all in Eco mode. Not really much of a difference in the picture between Normal and Eco. I know there have been reviews complaining of fan noise, but this one is whisper quiet. The only things I wish it had retained from the 7827 is lens shift and 2D keystone. For only paying $449, I feel as though I got a steal. My wife had complained about my purchase, but was immediately impressed with the upgrade in quality.
Best contrast and bulb life will be using Dynamic Eco.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have my 7827 carefully mounted to a forward inclined slide so I can increase its zoom enough to do CIH+IMAX sizing and then some. It is unheard of doing CIH without spending 4 times the amount on a projector. The vertical shift was a very nice feature I agree. When they build a budget projector like this I also thought 4way keystone and individual corner adjustments were all nice features even though I personally don’t use them. the 7827 also has a cool inside power and 3rd HDMI that is cool for someone wanting to do a streaming stick setup. I was disappointed the PX725HD came only as white I like black better in a HT and I didn’t think I would use the cable management back piece but I did and I love how it cleans up the cable mess.

I’m told Viewsonic is getting their act together with the 4k lineup and adjusting features and pricing to get peoples attention.

You didn’t mention screen color or type and size? I’m doing 110” max 16:9 with 8’ eyes to screen, and using a ND gray DIY painted screen wall. The gray is fairly dark at .5-.6 gain. Like you mentioned those RGBRGB lumens don’t have any trouble lighting up the gray screen even in eco mode and the gray is great when I want some ambient light in the room. If you are not going to large you might want to try a gray screen surface.

Bud
post #10 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

I’ve got an Elite Manual B 100” 16:9 pulldown screen. Due to the setup of my room I’m locked into a pulldown, I could only get about an 85” display with a fixed frame the way my walls are configured. Can’t paint it because I’ve got paneling in this room, although it’s painted. Any suggestions that would be an improvement?
post #11 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’ve got an Elite Manual B 100” 16:9 pulldown screen. Due to the setup of my room I’m locked into a pulldown, I could only get about an 85” display with a fixed frame the way my walls are configured. Can’t paint it because I’ve got paneling in this room, although it’s painted. Any suggestions that would be an improvement?
Well a 100” 16:9 screen is around 30 sq feet and at say 1500 lumens that would be 50 Foot Lamberts. You only need about 15FL in a darkened theater room to produce a good movie image. Even in eco with some lamp dimming with age say 1000 lumens or half the rated lumens for the projector you will be getting 33FL. So you have lots of fire power very similar to my projector and my 110” screen.

For 3D where you loose roughly half your brightness due to the glasses you would have enough.

You could try some ND gray samples .7-.8 gain or some of the ALR grays and see what you think. Some places samples are free still I think and some charge a couple bucks.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page