Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TV or Projector????

Hi fellow members,

I just got a projector recently and I am curious why other people switched from the norm of the crowd TV's to projectors

For those members who respond frequently, are y'all on here solving issues for fun?

The main part of this that I want to ask is,

Why are people switching from TV's to projectors and is there a wave of people doing this?

Will projectors ever become a normal household appliance?

- Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
My humble 2¢:

- My reason for getting a PJ was that for HT I wanted the most screen I could get for the money I was prepared to spend and a PJ was the no-brainer way to go.

- I doubt PJs will become "normal household appliances" (outside of HT rooms), especially now that relatively large-screen TVs can be had for pretty cheap. And with TVs you don't have to worry about things like lighting / room brightness the way you do with PJs.

- Re. "For those members who respond frequently, are y'all on here solving issues for fun?": Yup.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
My humble 2¢:

- My reason for getting a PJ was that for HT I wanted the most screen I could get for the money I was prepared to spend and a PJ was the no-brainer way to go.

- I doubt PJs will become "normal household appliances" (outside of HT rooms), especially now that relatively large-screen TVs can be had for pretty cheap. And with TVs you don't have to worry about things like lighting / room brightness the way you do with PJs.

- Re. "For those members who respond frequently, are y'all on here solving issues for fun?": Yup.
Thanks so much for your 2 cents!

I got a projector for my bedroom for it's massive screen size, which is the 3100...

Now I'm considering setting up a home theater type deal in my living room because it can get nearly pitch black with the shutters down, should I just move up to a high end Epson model too, such as the 5050 I see a lot on this forum? Or are there other aspects to consider that i haven't thought of.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Do the math:

>200,000,000 units = annual global TV sales

>10,000,000 units = annual global video projector sales

Global video projector sales for business, education and home use are predicted to have a CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of ~10%.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2065 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Another TV or Projector thread.

I voted for projector because they were here before TV back when the UHD BluRay of the day was a 16” roll of film with individual frames printed on. They are still around today and will be around a million years from now long after the death of TV.

Seriously they really are 2 different things. One the screen is emitted light the other is a screen reflected light. One is plug and play the other requires building a special room and understanding everything there is to make projection work, and putting all the pieces together. One can magically make an image 200” large on a painted wall from a box the size of a toaster. The other takes 4 guys to get it in the house and hang it on the wall and you only get 85”. One you can take out in the back yard and watch a huge movie on the side of your house the other not so easy.

Its like what is the better pet a cat or a dog?

Yep I post to help other people when I can and it is fun.

Oh and welcome to the forum Johnny.

Bud
post #6 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Projectors are a small market with I suspect most sales go to corporate use. When I show my setup to people they are absolutely amazed, but very few are willing to dedicate a room to a projector. Using a projector in anything other then a dedicated room is a big compromise in PQ with every aspect except screen size. Of course screen size can be a very big factor so that's why people put projectors in less then ideal rooms and are very happy with them, but they are defiantly not the norm as most use a TV.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Projectors are a small market with I suspect most sales go to corporate use. When I show my setup to people they are absolutely amazed, but very few are willing to dedicate a room to a projector. Using a projector in anything other then a dedicated room is a big compromise in PQ with every aspect except screen size. Of course screen size can be a very big factor so that's why people put projectors in less then ideal rooms and are very happy with them, but they are defiantly not the norm as most use a TV.
Exactly this. Projectors are for dedicated spaces. Most people don't necessarily place movies (or gaming) in such a priority to have a dedicated space and a room built around it. The dedicated space needs to be fairly big, a 10 x 11 common size room doesn't really cut it.

Without a dedicated space and for casual netflix usage (which is for most people), a large TV is the way to go.

People are amazed at my setup, and it's not necessarily an expensive one either, but if you can get that cozy theater feeling across, you did good!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2019, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 358
TV will always be the most popular option regardless of size simply because it’s an all in one solution where you have sound and all the smart apps already built in, with any projector it’s a major outlay that requires not only the projector and screen but amplification, speakers, TV set top box and either fire stick or the equivalent.

That all said in my opinion the rewards far out weigh the expense, I am probably in a minority but I think a projector really only makes sense in a dedicated room because unless the room is fully treated it’s picture doesn’t compete with a TV, especially is your average living room with light coloured walls and white ceiling.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
best choice , projector , right choice , television

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page