Difficult mounting scenario - massive skylight in center of room ! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By descalabro

post #1 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Difficult mounting scenario - massive skylight in center of room !

Hi guys,

I've installed probably 20 or so projectors commercially but I find myself in a challenging scenario for an install in a Tap House.

Specifics:

150" 16:9 Motorized screen suspended from ceiling just 6" or so

16:9 projector w/ installation features such as vertical lens shift, 12v trigger out, etc

3 Possible projector locations:
1. 18'-25' directly in front of projector
2. 9' 6" directly in front of projector
3. 9' directly behind projector

Location 1 would be the obvious choice if there wasn't a goddamn skylight. Pretty much all my top pick choices for 5000 lumen installation projector are within this throw range. The issue here is we are literally shooting through light coming in from above skylight on route to projector screen.

Location 2 should be better.. still ambient light will reach the screen but the projector will be brighter at this distance and not shooting through ambient light. The trick here is finding one with a throw range that will work.. .7-.8 ratio puts us into short throw territory though.

Location 3 just occurred to me.. rear projection scenario, imagine there is an ambient light rejection screen that is meant for rear projection and will block out the front-facing ambient light. Again the throw range is a tough one. This Optoma seems to fit the job though: Optoma EH515st

* I installed a short throw projector once.. it looked terrible, sure they're better these days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Layout / Photo attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	886.2 KB
ID:	2592052   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190712_111425.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	556.4 KB
ID:	2592054  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

That entire area that is not drywalled in is becoming a skylight LOL

I will update on the progress of this project regardless but welcome all input too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencarson View Post
Hi guys,

I've installed probably 20 or so projectors commercially but I find myself in a challenging scenario for an install in a Tap House.

Specifics:

16:9 projector w/ installation features such as vertical lens shift, 12v trigger out, etc

Location 1 would be the obvious choice if there wasn't a goddamn skylight. Pretty much all my top pick choices for 5000 lumen installation projector are within this throw range. The issue here is we are literally shooting through light coming in from above skylight on route to projector screen.

Location 2 should be better.. still ambient light will reach the screen but the projector will be brighter at this distance and not shooting through ambient light. The trick here is finding one with a throw range that will work.. .7-.8 ratio puts us into short throw territory though.

Location 3 just occurred to me.. rear projection scenario, imagine there is an ambient light rejection screen that is meant for rear projection and will block out the front-facing ambient light. Again the throw range is a tough one. This Optoma seems to fit the job though: Optoma EH515st

* I installed a short throw projector once.. it looked terrible, sure they're better these days
Hi,

why is there no option of installing a device to cover and uncover the goddamn giant skylight?

I think shooting through light doesn't make any difference. As far as I know, light rays do not interfere with each other, so you'll have the same amount of natural light hitting the screen on all 3 situations.
rekbones likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2065 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Hi,

why is there no option of installing a device to cover and uncover the goddamn giant skylight?

I think shooting through light doesn't make any difference. As far as I know, light rays do not interfere with each other, so you'll have the same amount of natural light hitting the screen on all 3 situations.
This is correct. You can set up two projectors 90 degrees to each other and one wont interfere with the other.

With a skylight that big there is little you can do to expect it to work in the daytime IMO. At night you have a chance.

Bud
post #6 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Hi guys,

Specifics:

2- The BenQ LK953ST would work:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm = 152in at 9ft

and:
https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...w-performance/ = ~4000 lumens.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
The skylight is the issues because it's a skylight.

It won't actually interfere in any way with the light that is coming out of the projector, it is just going to completely destroy the on-screen image because it is letting a ton of daylight in.

If the use of the 150" setup is for after dark only, then just install any projector in front of, or behind the skylight and call it a day.

I don't really see any problem here at all.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-21-2019, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank You for the input!

Suppose I will just proceed as normal and tell them that it won't work in daylight unless they invest in skylight covering.

That said, even with the front ambient light rejecting screen / rear projection scenario, it won't make it that much better ? I've never done one of these. I gather though that the extra costs would be better put towards skylight covering.

Projector will be mostly used at night, but during summer hours it's light out until 10pm here.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-22-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
A moveable covering for the skylight would be the most effective, economical and elegant solution along with a standard projector and screen. If the customers ask for an explanation ask them if they've ever been to a commercial movie theater with a giant skylight in the middle of the ceiling flooding the theater with sunlight.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-22-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Thank You for the input!

Suppose I will just proceed as normal and tell them that it won't work in daylight unless they invest in skylight covering.

That said, even with the front ambient light rejecting screen / rear projection scenario, it won't make it that much better ? I've never done one of these. I gather though that the extra costs would be better put towards skylight covering.

Projector will be mostly used at night, but during summer hours it's light out until 10pm here.

I would suggest that you go look at any sports bars in your area that have projectors set up to get a feel for it. Since you have projector installation experience, looking at some actual install's will be worth a thousand opinion posts on a forum. I would also suggest that you stay away from rear projection. There is a propensity to have hot spotting with on axis viewing with rear projection and rear projection usually has reduced brightness uniformity off axis as well.

There is a local watering whole near me overlooking a lake. They have three projectors set-up on very inexpensive (cheap) 120" pull down screens. The projectors are Epson HC 21xx units and they do a good job for sports and TV.

I've attached a customer snapshot from their facebook website. The picture is not in focus, but, you can see there is a fair amount of ambient room light and the front of the room projector is backed by windows over looking the lake. The projector still works during the day by adjusting the window shades.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page