Weird Green problem with LG UST LED Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-22-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry Weird Green problem with LG UST LED Projector

A few months back I bought an LG HF65LSR - which I believe is basically the European version of the HF65LA, which in turn seems to be an update of the PF1000UW. Well, for the most part I was pretty happy with the purchase, until, that is, I turned the Energy Saving Mode down to "Off". Suddenly everything went bright green. I mean, *really* green. With any other level of energy saving, the colours were as you would expect, dimmer/brighter depending on the level, but neutral. But turn it off, and as well as being brighter, it was really, really green.

So I sent it back; they tested it using the internal test screens, sent it back to me saying there was nothing wrong with it; I sent it back again with a message saying "actually read what I wrote to you this time", they tested it through the UI with the mode switch, found the problem, and tried to fix it. This was a 3rd party repair place that is LG's official after-sales service agent in Spain; they tried everything, up to and including replacing the main PCB, and couldn't fix it. So they sent it back to me and told me to return it for a refund/replacement through the original retailer. Fair enough. I sent it back for an exchange, got a new projector, and obviously the first thing I did was to test the energy saving mode: exactly the same.

LG have been reasonably helpful - they've told me to send it back for a refund, and have promised to get their engineers on the problem and come back to me when they have a proper solution - which might be a software update if this is some sort of general fault in (the particular local version of?) WebOS. I'm disappointed, because there really weren't a great deal of other options that met my requirements (tolerably bright UST LED projector) and I spent a lot of research time working out which product to buy... online to find it's systematically broken :-( Has anyone else (ideally in Europe) encountered this problem/heard of it? I'm wondering if I try and buy something from e.g. Germany if I'm likely to get one that actually works....

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-10-2019, 07:15 PM

Interesting. Just bought similar projector, LG HF85LSR in the Czech Republic and have exactly the same issue. Did you get anywhere with replacements/other sources?
post #3 of 3 Old 09-10-2019, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeer View Post
Interesting. Just bought similar projector, LG HF85LSR in the Czech Republic and have exactly the same issue. Did you get anywhere with replacements/other sources?

Sadly, no. I sent the projector back and bought an OLED TV instead. Since we didn't really want a massive screen anyway it ended up being a better fit for our needs - a much better picture per watt of power usage than we could ever have hoped for from a projector. I haven't heard anything back from LG yet about a resolution to the original issue. They strongly implied that there would have to be an update to the product line to fix this. It still astonishes and horrifies me that a company the size of LG could release a product like this with such a glaring fault, and apparently no one's talking about it. Is no one buying these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page