Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-26-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ANSI Lumens vs. Lumens

Hello,

I have a question that I'm sure people here can answer. I'm looking for a projector to replace my old Simm 300HT 720P projector. For my Simm 300HT, I believe it states the ANSI Lumens is about 900. Looking at the current projectors out there they only list Lumens. Example 2000 to 3000 being the norm. Is there a difference between ANSI Lumens vs. just Lumens? I was pretty satisfied with the picture quality and brightness of my Simm 300HT, but could have been brighter when there was a little light in the room. Guess my question would be, would today's projectors with 2200 Lumens be brighter than my old Simm 300HT at 900 ANSI Lumens?

Guess any 1080P or 4K projector would be better than my old Simm 300HT 720P projector. Any suggestions, don't want to spend a fortune when just a simple plain 1080P or 4k projector would be better than what I currently have?

Thank you very much, I just love your site.

John B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-26-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Typically when a major brand states lumens they are actually stating ANSI lumens, but what is really important is the number of lumens in modes that have accurate (or at least tolerable) colour accuracy and saturation and for that you need to read the various reviews available online or on youtube, etc

If you are considering a replacement machine, you also need to consider the differences in lens characteristics, size, weight and whether the replacement will fit your existing theatre space.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-26-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 561
First you need to know is what the manufacture states and reality are two completely different #'s. Epson is one of them that is close to accurate but still what they quote is a poorly color calibrated number. Any single chip DLP rated over 2000 lumens generally will have a white segment in the color wheel so they are claiming white lumens only but when calibrated are rarely brighter then a RGBRGB wheel rated much lower.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-27-2019, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Hi,

as a general rule, most known brand projectors will be brighter than your Sim2 from 15 years ago. The brightness of projectors has increased considerably. You may not trust the claimed numbers for an accurate comparison between current models, but you can be sure that today's claimed 1500+ lumens projectors will be brighter than your Sim2 even after calibration.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page