Replacing 15 year Simm 300HT - What To Buy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-27-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Replacing 15 year Simm 300HT - What To Buy

Need help and/or opinions on replacing my 15 yr old Simm 300HT. At the time, it was top of the line, 720P. It's cost was $10,000. Now I want to upgrade, here's my dilemma. The lumens of the Simm was 900 and believe it or not I was satisfied with that. At that time, I did know any better and thought it was one of the best ones out there. Was looking into 1080P than I thought what the heck might as well look at 4K's. Budget is about $1500 more or less. I like BenQ 3550, but have heard a lot about the 800 and 2150. Also like the Epson's due to lamp life and cost of replacements. The higher end of Epson's are so big and bulky.

So, back to my old $10,000 Simm 300HT. Due to this experience, I don't want to spend a lot of money or the top of the line. As I experienced from my Simm, projectors are changing and getting better daily. Second question what about the lumens? My Simm was 900, I imagine anything would be brighter and would be a great improvement. My living room has shades when closed, the room gets petty dark. I'm a little hesitate on the BenQ 3550 due to 2000 lumens. But, then again my Simm was 900 lumens. I have a gray 110" Stewart Firehawk screen with a deluxe black felt border. The projector is placed behind me, the distance between the screen and projector is about a little under 17ft.

Am I wrong for looking into the BenQ 3500, Epson or any BenQ for that matter? I'm thinking 2500 lumen would be perfect, but then again my Simm was only 900. Just don't want to spend a fortune when I think I would be thrilled with anything or lower cost projector compared to my 15 yr old Simm.

Last edited by Jrbrass; 07-27-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-27-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Going 4K if the rest of your hardware is not up to date its going to cost a lot. We need to know the exact distance from the front of the projector to the screen if you want the projector in the exact same spot. The BenQ 3550 might be a good choice if you are sure you want run down the 4K rabbit hole but I suspect it has a shorter throw then your Sim. I recommend the Sony 45es if all your other equipment isn't up to 4K standards. Its the best 1080p projector for the money, has enough zoom and shift range where it should fit where your Sim is without and changes. Sim made really good projectors but the Sony should best it by a wide margin.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 4 Old 07-27-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Going 4K if the rest of your hardware is not up to date its going to cost a lot. We need to know the exact distance from the front of the projector to the screen if you want the projector in the exact same spot. The BenQ 3550 might be a good choice if you are sure you want run down the 4K rabbit hole but I suspect it has a shorter throw then your Sim. I recommend the Sony 45es if all your other equipment isn't up to 4K standards. Its the best 1080p projector for the money, has enough zoom and shift range where it should fit where your Sim is without and changes. Sim made really good projectors but the Sony should best it by a wide margin.
Distance between my 110" 16.9 screen and the projector is a little under 17ft. You're right, a short-throw projector probably wouldn't work. Hopefully, someone in the forum will advise me what projectors I should be looking into. As I stated, budget is $1500 more or less. Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-27-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrbrass View Post
Distance between my 110" 16.9 screen and the projector is a little under 17ft. You're right, a short-throw projector probably wouldn't work. Hopefully, someone in the forum will advise me what projectors I should be looking into. As I stated, budget is $1500 more or less. Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.
Moving up to 4K doesn't have to cost a bundle. The easiest way is to add a 4K BD player such as the Sony UBP-X700 which in the USA has fair selection of 4K streaming apps, will upscale your existing DVDs and BDs to 4K, and of course will play 4K UHD BDs. You can then use the X700 coax audio out to connect to your amp or in many cases 4K PJs will have an audio out which can be connected to your amp.

110in at 17ft is a long throw. It would be worth considering a larger screen to make more PJs available and to take better advantage of 4K resolution and/or moving your projector mount/mounting position forward several feet.

Current options:

17ft throw, 110in 16x9 screen

Acer H7850/V7850 (refurbs)

Epson HC5040 refurb (4K compatible)

Optoma UHD60/65 (refurbs)

This is a video review comparison of the HC5040/UHD65/LX-UH1:

a list of all available PJs under $2000 including 1080p:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...0&ltg=&db=#top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version