Some personalized projector help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By awblackmon
  • 1 Post By DunMunro
  • 1 Post By DunMunro
  • 1 Post By noob00224
  • 1 Post By noob00224
  • 1 Post By DunMunro
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green

post #1 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Some personalized projector help

Can someone give me some advice? I’m looking for a projector for my basement, which for the most part will be pretty dark most of the time. I don’t know what it is about projectors but I just can’t seem to get a grasp on what or which one is good. I'd say I've probably done over 10 hours of research this last year and don't feel like I know a single thing to really look for. I’d feel comfortable making a TV or Laptop recommendation for anyone depending on their wants and budgets but when it comes to a projector I don’t know what to do. I’m going to chalk this up to never having one…which brings me to my point. Can someone recommend one to me? I’ve read through forums and posts here but a majority seem to be building a theater room my dreams couldn’t even afford and I’ve gotten lost in the technical details of it all that I come out more confused than when I went in. So if someone is willing to give me some personalized help, much appreciated. I don’t trust the people at the stores

The room I will be putting this in is 10’-5” across, so I’d imagine a throw distance of like 9’6” (Subtracting about a foot for the projector itself and any protruding cables). And personally, for the screen size, the bigger the better. I’m thinking I would like to be able to hit 120” (if possible). I’ll be using this for watching sports, playing games and watching movies, in that order of importance with the latter probably once a month at best. Naturally, I’d love a projector that could offer 4k quality and HDR support and only cost me like $500 but no matter how many times I hit search on google it won’t pop up

Now I don’t want to come across as lazy. I’ve found a few that I’m interested in because they check some boxes but it seems like for projectors, moreso than TVs, it doesn’t matter if they say they do something because they may not do it well. Here are the ones I have been looking at (no links, trying to obey the rules):
BenQ HT2550
BenQ HT2150
ViewSonic px700HD

Anyways, if someone has a suggestion, it would be appreciated. I’d love to be closer to $500 than $1,000 but lets call that range my budget. I also know I’m not going to get the worlds greatest picture, but I would like something that’s….respectable.

Also, bonus question. For the screen would you recommend a pull down, or wall paint? I haven't even begun researching what to do there so that question is just a lazy shortcut

Thanks! Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Have you researched the tk800 or ht3550?
post #3 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Have you researched the tk800 or ht3550?

Replace what I said earlier about the HT2550 with the tk800. That was one of the 3 I was looking at. (They're under the same page on Amazon and I goofed when putting the name up here). This seems like my best choice if I want to reach that 4k + HDR possibility but I also don't think I could hit my desired screen size with this model based on the specs I'm reading. I could go with a 75" Vizio TV at around the same price if I can't get the screen as big as I'd like so that seemed like a deterrent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonSUG View Post
Replace what I said earlier about the HT2550 with the tk800. That was one of the 3 I was looking at. (They're under the same page on Amazon and I goofed when putting the name up here). This seems like my best choice if I want to reach that 4k + HDR possibility but I also don't think I could hit my desired screen size with this model based on the specs I'm reading. I could go with a 75" Vizio TV at around the same price if I can't get the screen as big as I'd like so that seemed like a deterrent.
Ok, the tk800 might get you to 90 inches from that distance. The HT3550 for 1,500 would allow you to go with a 110” screen at least.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Doing a DIY painted screen would be a great idea. I have done it and was happy with it. I then build a acoustically transparent screen which is much more involved. If you do paint your own use a foam roller and a soft touch if you don't spray it. I light gray screen helps the blacks seem much deeper. Got to the DIY screen section and prepare to have your mind blown. Then you can decide if you will DIY it or get a pull down screen.
DunMunro and DillonSUG like this.

Video Mitsubishi 3800 onto 108 inch DIY AT screen.
Processor Marantz 5502A
7.4.4 with front wides and no rear surrounds.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked: 596
I think the ht3550 might be the only pj that meets your throw requirements.

Recommend visiting projector central dot coms throw calculator.

Measure twice cut once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 528
The BenQ 2050a is my recommendation. It will give you a 110" screen, better contrast, good motion handling for sports and low lag for gaming at a budget around $700. It is only 1080p but how much sports are broadcast in any thing better then 720p ? 4k/HDR still has a long way to go in projectors and the 2050a is an excellent starter projector to get your feet wet.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #8 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2107 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
The BenQ 2050a is at a great price right now that @rekbones mentioned above and uses the dark chip 3 technology with the larger chip and the RGBRGB color wheel. Viewsonic has a similar projector that is slightly more expensive right now and has a louder fan, so really not a price competing option. Viewsonic still is selling refurbs of the model I’m now using for about 250 below the BenQ’s price if you are really looking for a bargain on a first DLP RGBRGB Dark Chip 3 1080p projector. It is being sold by viewsonic directly and goes under the model number Pro 7827 HD-S. The only downside for you might be the slightly higher input lag than the 2050a along with a couple dB higher on the fans. It is a great projector still and priced as low as you will find.

Bud
post #9 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 359
You might find a refurbed UHD50 or an HT3550 but take a look at the HT2150ST.

The UHD50 can throw 107in 16x9 at 9ft 5in and the HT3550 can throw 115in at the same distance. The UHD50 will be quieter.

The ideal 1080p unit might be the HT2150ST which can give any possible size for your space:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

for example 180in at 9ft.
DillonSUG likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I think the ht3550 might be the only pj that meets your throw requirements.

Recommend visiting projector central dot coms throw calculator.

Measure twice cut once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, this site was extremely helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
The BenQ 2050a is my recommendation. It will give you a 110" screen, better contrast, good motion handling for sports and low lag for gaming at a budget around $700. It is only 1080p but how much sports are broadcast in any thing better then 720p ? 4k/HDR still has a long way to go in projectors and the 2050a is an excellent starter projector to get your feet wet.
Seeing a few people back this one up makes me feel more comfortable. I'm leaning towards this model after doing some reading and such. BenQ offers the TH671ST which is for higher brightness (3,000 lumens vs 2200) at nearly the same price. I plan on putting this in a basement with very little natural light. But I don't enjoy it being pitch black down here so normally I'll have a couple lamps on and/or some led lighting. I don't believe this would make a major impact...but again, completely clueless on this topic. So I guess my last question would be would you go with the 2050a which has better color accuracy, or the TH671ST which has higher brightness. The main use for this I would say is watching football if that makes any impact on the thought process behind choosing.

As for the HT3550 mentioned, its just a little too much above my budget and the TK800 doesn't quite hit the screen size I would like at the throw distance :/ Otherwise this one did seem like it checked all the boxes outside of the shaky reviews.
post #11 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Seeing a few people back this one up makes me feel more comfortable. I'm leaning towards this model after doing some reading and such. BenQ offers the TH671ST which is for higher brightness (3,000 lumens vs 2200) at nearly the same price. I plan on putting this in a basement with very little natural light. But I don't enjoy it being pitch black down here so normally I'll have a couple lamps on and/or some led lighting. I don't believe this would make a major impact...but again, completely clueless on this topic. So I guess my last question would be would you go with the 2050a which has better color accuracy, or the TH671ST which has higher brightness. The main use for this I would say is watching football if that makes any impact on the thought process behind choosing.

As for the HT3550 mentioned, its just a little too much above my budget and the TK800 doesn't quite hit the screen size I would like at the throw distance :/ Otherwise this one did seem like it checked all the boxes outside of the shaky reviews.
The HT2150ST is really what you want and it will be bright enough, as long as room has dark walls and any lights are directed down, away from the screen. Here's a review:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/ben...tor-review.htm
noob00224 likes this.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The ViewSonic Pro7827HD-S might have more lag (40-50ms) than the Benq HT2050A and HT2150ST (16ms), but it's almost half the price. So it depends on what type of games you play. Otherwise about the same type of projector.

As @DunMunro said, strategically placed lights will help with the image quality, but so will an grey or ALR screen.
More info here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...ey-screen.html
DillonSUG likes this.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Projectors like the TH67ST have a RGBCYW color wheel the W is for a clear segment for making white. It is great in a business application but in the making of color lumens it produces around 700 lumens. Where the RGBRGB can do 2000 lumens. The white segment makes the spec misleading as yes you can get 3000 lumens but the image will have a green cast to it and not look so great.

This is why we have been recommending just RGBRGB’s to you.

Bud
post #14 of 22 Old 08-05-2019, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Projectors like the TH67ST have a RGBCYW color wheel the W is for a clear segment for making white. It is great in a business application but in the making of color lumens it produces around 700 lumens. Where the RGBRGB can do 2000 lumens. The white segment makes the spec misleading as yes you can get 3000 lumens but the image will have a green cast to it and not look so great.

This is why we have been recommending just RGBRGB’s to you.
I had no idea a color wheel was even a factor to consider, so thank you. It seems like the RGBCYW wheels are best for business purposes, but maybe thats my gross oversimplification.

There was a mention of a UHD50 above and I found I could get one locally around $1000 and I can finance it, opposed to having to shell all the $$ out upfront so now that's creeped into my decision making. I was comparing the HT2050A and the HT2150ST and it seems like the only differences are the ability for the HT2150ST to short throw as well as cost a little more than $100 extra. Since the HT2050A should be able to hit my desired screen size (110" - Had to reduce after some debate at home) I believe I've narrowed it down to one of these two. The Optoma UHD50 offering 4k, HDR quality or the BenQ HT2050A with lower input lag about 2/3rds the price.

I appreciate all the help received and if anyone has any further thoughts between the two above I'd be happy to hear. Going to begin my screen research
post #15 of 22 Old 08-05-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Going to begin my screen research
Don't buy a screen until you've spent some time projecting on the wall, to get an idea of size is best.
DillonSUG likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-05-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had no idea a color wheel was even a factor to consider, so thank you. It seems like the RGBCYW wheels are best for business purposes, but maybe thats my gross oversimplification.

There was a mention of a UHD50 above and I found I could get one locally around $1000 and I can finance it, opposed to having to shell all the $$ out upfront so now that's creeped into my decision making. I was comparing the HT2050A and the HT2150ST and it seems like the only differences are the ability for the HT2150ST to short throw as well as cost a little more than $100 extra. Since the HT2050A should be able to hit my desired screen size (110" - Had to reduce after some debate at home) I believe I've narrowed it down to one of these two. The Optoma UHD50 offering 4k, HDR quality or the BenQ HT2050A with lower input lag about 2/3rds the price.

I appreciate all the help received and if anyone has any further thoughts between the two above I'd be happy to hear. Going to begin my screen research
If your game source can output [email protected] then the UHD50 should be able to go into a special reduced lag 1080p mode , with about 25ms lag. I haven't tried this.

I would probably go for the HT2050A if sports and gaming were my primary concerns.
DillonSUG likes this.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-05-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:

That really is a short throw distance for 120" image and any regular throw projector, and there aren't any 4k short throw projectors in your price range.

Luckily, mirrors are cheap. You can mount a projector so it points at a mirror on the back wall and bounces onto the screen. All projectors have settings to flip the image so that will work. Doing that, the TK800 would work in your room by placing it 3' away from the back wall and pointed at a mirror 2' wide and 14" tall. By putting black velvet tape on the mirror you can even eliminate the "bright border" problem all of the first generation 4k DLP projectors had.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #18 of 22 Old 08-07-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
That really is a short throw distance for 120" image and any regular throw projector, and there aren't any 4k short throw projectors in your price range.

Luckily, mirrors are cheap. You can mount a projector so it points at a mirror on the back wall and bounces onto the screen. All projectors have settings to flip the image so that will work. Doing that, the TK800 would work in your room by placing it 3' away from the back wall and pointed at a mirror 2' wide and 14" tall. By putting black velvet tape on the mirror you can even eliminate the "bright border" problem all of the first generation 4k DLP projectors had.
As neat as that would be to see in action I think I'd like to avoid the extra mirror on the wall. A good idea though!
post #19 of 22 Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 3729 Post(s)
Liked: 2953
Quote:
... It seems like the RGBCYW wheels are best for business purposes, but maybe thats my gross oversimplification. ...
It's true that projectors with non-RGBRGB color wheels have traditionally been considered as optimized primarily for business use as they prioritize brightness over color saturation and color accuracy in their brighter settings. However, some people are willing to sacrifice the color accuracy and color saturation of RGBRGB color wheels in order to get more lumens to help fight ambient light when not viewing in the dark. Non-RGBRGB projectors being sold for home use are often referred to as crossover projectors, i.e. a crossover between a dedicated business projector and a dedicated home theater projector.
DillonSUG likes this.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-07-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
As neat as that would be to see in action I think I'd like to avoid the extra mirror on the wall. A good idea though!
Bouncing off a mirror is how all the Ultra Short Throw projectors work -- the ones that can sit just a foot away from the screen. It is also how rear projection TVs worked, of course. And the business conference room hidden ceiling mounts that lower from a drop ceiling tile are made that way as well -- pointing away from the screen. So it is hardly unusual except in the DIY world. One of the users here at AVS @bud16415 did it in his home theater for a few years. I did it for a test but ultimately decided to mount my TK800 over a stairway -- and I now occasionally bump my head on it.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #21 of 22 Old 08-08-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Bouncing off a mirror is how all the Ultra Short Throw projectors work -- the ones that can sit just a foot away from the screen. It is also how rear projection TVs worked, of course. And the business conference room hidden ceiling mounts that lower from a drop ceiling tile are made that way as well -- pointing away from the screen. So it is hardly unusual except in the DIY world. One of the users here at AVS @bud16415 did it in his home theater for a few years. I did it for a test but ultimately decided to mount my TK800 over a stairway -- and I now occasionally bump my head on it.
Seeing as how I was mentioned I will comment on the seldom used DIY mirror method. There are a few of us here that have used the method long term and quite a few I think that have tried it just out of curiosity. I used my setup for around 3.5 years and only went away from it when a projector upgrade allowed for a short enough throw in my price range to make the mirror unnecessary. I have no regrets in doing it and it was a very workable solution to my room and screen size I desired. The draw backs were slight and the advantages far outweighed them.

There were a few advantages I actually miss now that I have straight on projection. One being any light spill that most projectors have from the front was cast to the back wall outside the mirror and didn’t affect the image or the front of the room in any way. Another is I had a manual adjustment on the mirror angle and along with the projector tilt I could give a projector without vertical offset that function. Then there was the 4way masking I had rigged to the steel frame of the mirror with magnets. Even though the mask was out of the focal plane I could mask close enough to the edge to block out most of the gray bar light spill and the mask then made a fuzzy gradient that ended at the image. I have a dark gray stealth screen wall and the image looked great without masking at the screen. The projector I was using had the dark chip 2 light engine.

I wont recommend the idea or not recommend the idea. But will say it will work for someone with out enough throw length.

I have had a few people that were a little sad when I switched back saying they missed the cool factor of seeing the mirror rig. It reminded them of a window into a projection room in an old time theater.

Bud
post #22 of 22 Old 08-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Can someone give me some advice? I’m looking for a projector for my basement, which for the most part will be pretty dark most of the time. I don’t know what it is about projectors but I just can’t seem to get a grasp on what or which one is good. I'd say I've probably done over 10 hours of research this last year and don't feel like I know a single thing to really look for. I’d feel comfortable making a TV or Laptop recommendation for anyone depending on their wants and budgets but when it comes to a projector I don’t know what to do. I’m going to chalk this up to never having one…which brings me to my point. Can someone recommend one to me? I’ve read through forums and posts here but a majority seem to be building a theater room my dreams couldn’t even afford and I’ve gotten lost in the technical details of it all that I come out more confused than when I went in. So if someone is willing to give me some personalized help, much appreciated. I don’t trust the people at the stores

The room I will be putting this in is 10’-5” across, so I’d imagine a throw distance of like 9’6” (Subtracting about a foot for the projector itself and any protruding cables). And personally, for the screen size, the bigger the better. I’m thinking I would like to be able to hit 120” (if possible). I’ll be using this for watching sports, playing games and watching movies, in that order of importance with the latter probably once a month at best. Naturally, I’d love a projector that could offer 4k quality and HDR support and only cost me like $500 but no matter how many times I hit search on google it won’t pop up

Now I don’t want to come across as lazy. I’ve found a few that I’m interested in because they check some boxes but it seems like for projectors, moreso than TVs, it doesn’t matter if they say they do something because they may not do it well. Here are the ones I have been looking at (no links, trying to obey the rules):
BenQ HT2550
BenQ HT2150
ViewSonic px700HD

Anyways, if someone has a suggestion, it would be appreciated. I’d love to be closer to $500 than $1,000 but lets call that range my budget. I also know I’m not going to get the worlds greatest picture, but I would like something that’s….respectable.

Also, bonus question. For the screen would you recommend a pull down, or wall paint? I haven't even begun researching what to do there so that question is just a lazy shortcut

Thanks! Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
If your looking for screen size then I would go with the Epson Home Cinema 1060.
It will give you 128in from 9ft away

Video: BenQ HT3550 4K Projector - Elite Screens Manual Grande Series - 128inch
Pre Amp: Marantz 7705/ Power Amplifiers: Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-700
JBL - Stage A190 Towers L/R , Stage A135 Center , Stage A190 surrounds , Atmos Klipsch rp-500sa
Subwoofer PSA 2xV1801 / Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield, Darbee Darblet 5000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page