end of Prime Video support for Blu ray app - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By pjp
  • 2 Post By DunMunro
  • 1 Post By bud16415
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-27-2019, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mfountain01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
end of Prime Video support for Blu ray app

Amazon is ending app support for Prime Video on my Blu ray player [Sony BDP S6700]. Their offer of a discount on a Firestick is a bit mute/mute since it is the Blu ray that feeds sound to the amplifier and the projector in my home theater. I get no useful information from Amazon or Sony. Are there other players that will still work, or is this end of all app support (perhaps Netflix as well)? I’m looking for a plug-n-play solution, without having to re-run cables through the ceiling to replace the digital optical I have currently.
Thanks,
mfountain01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 08-27-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfountain01 View Post
Amazon is ending app support for Prime Video on my Blu ray player [Sony BDP S6700]. Their offer of a discount on a Firestick is a bit mute/mute since it is the Blu ray that feeds sound to the amplifier and the projector in my home theater. I get no useful information from Amazon or Sony. Are there other players that will still work, or is this end of all app support (perhaps Netflix as well)? I’m looking for a plug-n-play solution, without having to re-run cables through the ceiling to replace the digital optical I have currently.
Thanks,
AFAIK Primevideo is still supported on the X700, so could upgrade to a UBP-X700 and simply replace your existing BD player.

If you're streaming 1080p, then you could add a PC and use it for streaming.
DunMunro is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 08-27-2019, 01:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Are their advantages to these player only devices? For a little more money, wouldn't a ps4 or xbox one be better? I think app support for those devices would last a long time. I don't know about the ps4, but I do know the Xbox One has a HDMI input cause it wants you to input your cable or whatever, and it'll provide you with tv guide. It tries to be your all in one hub. But the point is even when the Xbox one becomes obsolete the HDMI input will be useful, just plug in a fire stick.
moctodavs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,511
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Roku, AppleTV, Fire, and Chrome products will likely all support Amazon along with a LONG list of others for years and years to come. Don't ever count on a Blu-ray Disc player made by some uninterested 3rd party to actually support your service of the moment forever.

Get a dedicated player. They are out there for $100 or less. But, the $100 players are the one with 4K and additional connectivity.

Now, we don't know how you have things hooked up. A typical setup is SOURCE->AV RECEIVER->PROJECTOR & SPEAKERS - So, you would just plug in the Roku to your receiver using HDMI and be done with it. A Firestick would plug directly into your receiver and you would be done.

If you have some wonky setup, then it may require some additional work.

Or, get a gaming console as those are heavily supported for years and years.

Likewise, just plug a PC in and use a wireless keyboard and mouse and you can do the same thing.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mfountain01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
AFAIK Primevideo is still supported on the X700, so could upgrade to a UBP-X700 and simply replace your existing BD player.

If you're streaming 1080p, then you could add a PC and use it for streaming.
Thanks for the input. Simply replacing the Blu ray player itself is the path of least resistance. Finding one that will still play Prime Video after Sept. 26th and have the digital optical connection my system requires is the trick. I might hope that the x700 had slightly better reviews – about 20% on Amazon are pretty scathing. Just feels like the whole thing has become way more complicated and annoying than it needs to be.
mfountain01 is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 01:04 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I'm certain it takes zero effort on Amazon's part to maintain the app for Blu-ray players, it's just a dick move by Amazon to sell Fire devices in my opinion. They probably won't drop Roku, Apple TV, etc, at least in the near term, because they need Prime on those popular device to compete with Netflix (et al) on streaming services. We still use our Blu-ray and are out of HDMI ports on one TV to easily add another device, so I'm annoyed that they are doing this.
pjp is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfountain01 View Post
Thanks for the input. Simply replacing the Blu ray player itself is the path of least resistance. Finding one that will still play Prime Video after Sept. 26th and have the digital optical connection my system requires is the trick. I might hope that the x700 had slightly better reviews – about 20% on Amazon are pretty scathing. Just feels like the whole thing has become way more complicated and annoying than it needs to be.

The X700 has really good industry reviews and I'm very happy with mine. I think most of the poor reviews were due to bad cables and overheating. People who transition from BD to 4K BD often aren't aware of the much greater data throughput of a 4K HDR BD and the consequent need for high quality cables on long runs. The X700 requires good ventilation and the only freezes that I had were due to overheating and they stopped immediately after I increased the air gap between the X700 and my TV box. Doubtless, though, some were defective.

However, definitely no optical out on the X700. I use the coax out but there is a dedicated HDMI audio out.

This is a list of Sony devices effected by the loss of Prime Video apps:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00230339
DunMunro is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,511
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfountain01 View Post
Thanks for the input. Simply replacing the Blu ray player itself is the path of least resistance. Finding one that will still play Prime Video after Sept. 26th and have the digital optical connection my system requires is the trick. I might hope that the x700 had slightly better reviews – about 20% on Amazon are pretty scathing. Just feels like the whole thing has become way more complicated and annoying than it needs to be.
Do you want a Blu-ray player or a media streamer?

You see, this is the problem. EVERYONE demands that their $100 Blu-ray player pull double duty as an all-purpose streaming device.

Then, this reality comes crashing in with the fact that Blu-ray players are just supposed to be Blu-ray players and none of the Blu-ray manufacturers really cares at all about your ability to get an amazing Netflix (or Prime) viewing experience, and they have no real care if they support the applications built into their player years after you have purchased it.

This is why Roku, Fire, and Chromecast devices all do so much better. Roku stock has jumped over 10 fold this year. Think about that.

You really haven't talked much about your setup and the requirements that you have to go along with it, but there are HDMI audio extractors which can be used, and HDMI switches with optical audio output if you need something to work with an old receiver that only has optical or coaxial digital audio inputs. I used my old non-HDMI receiver for years.

I had a few HDMI audio extractor's behind my gear to get digital optical audio out of my HDMI enabled devices. Worked like a charm.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 7,777
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post

This is a list of Sony devices effected by the loss of Prime Video apps:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00230339
My BD player is the Sony BDPS5500 it is a 2015 model.

I don’t see it listed. Will it be affected by this?

Bud
bud16415 is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
My BD player is the Sony BDPS5500 it is a 2015 model.

I don’t see it listed. Will it be affected by this?
I dunno, but probably not. However, I'd guess that in two years it'll get the chop...
DunMunro is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 7,777
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I dunno, but probably not. However, I'd guess that in two years it'll get the chop...
Thanks for the quick reply.

Maybe the solution is if everyone affected let them know they were canceling prime because of this.

I understand @AV_Integrated opinion that a dedicated device is a better way to go and I have Roku on our kitchen TV and it is assume. With old equipment like I have I run two HDMI cables to the projector one from OTA tuner and the other from the BD player and then deal with my audio only thru my old non HDMI AVR. It works great even though it is a work around. I have a 3rd HDMI to take a Roku hidden in the projector along with a port to power it. So that will work, but then I need to send audio back down from the projector to the AVR.

It is never easy when you are a cheapskate.
Panson likes this.

Bud
bud16415 is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 02:54 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
My BD player is the Sony BDPS5500 it is a 2015 model.

I don’t see it listed. Will it be affected by this?
I'm guessing no. Or at least not yet. I received 2 emails from Amazon warning me that Prime would be cut on my Sony Blu-ray player. I'm not sure what model Sony I have off the top of my head, but if you've used your Blu-ray for Prime so it's registered in Amazon's database, it seems like Amazon is proactively emailing affected customers. At least they did in my case. Cut & paste of Amazon's email below:

Quote:
Amazon will no longer be supporting the Prime Video app on your Sony Blu-ray Disc Player / Sony Network Media Player / Sony Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System / Sony AV Receiver (model year 2009-2013) as of September 26, 2019. We are continually upgrading our service and this occasionally means we can no longer support certain device models.

To help you to continue streaming your favorite content, we’re offering you a $25 discount off MSRP towards select Fire TV devices which will allow you to continue to stream your favorites from Prime Video. To redeem, add a Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Stick 4K, or Fire TV Cube to your cart and enter the below promo code at checkout. This offer ends on November 1, 2019.
bud16415 likes this.
pjp is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfountain01 View Post
Amazon is ending app support for Prime Video on my Blu ray player [Sony BDP S6700]. Their offer of a discount on a Firestick is a bit mute/mute since it is the Blu ray that feeds sound to the amplifier and the projector in my home theater. I get no useful information from Amazon or Sony. Are there other players that will still work, or is this end of all app support (perhaps Netflix as well)? I’m looking for a plug-n-play solution, without having to re-run cables through the ceiling to replace the digital optical I have currently.
Thanks,
I don't see the S6700 listed as losing Amazon Prime anywhere. Do you have a link to the Sony bulletin that lists the S6700 as losing it?

The Sony UK bulletin linked upthread doesn't list the S6700.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

Maybe the solution is if everyone affected let them know they were canceling prime because of this.

I understand @AV_Integrated opinion that a dedicated device is a better way to go and I have Roku on our kitchen TV and it is assume. With old equipment like I have I run two HDMI cables to the projector one from OTA tuner and the other from the BD player and then deal with my audio only thru my old non HDMI AVR. It works great even though it is a work around. I have a 3rd HDMI to take a Roku hidden in the projector along with a port to power it. So that will work, but then I need to send audio back down from the projector to the AVR.

It is never easy when you are a cheapskate.
It costs nothing to complain.

It looks like they provide 6 or 7 years of support for a device.

Adding a Roku is an issue for me as well. I use an old Phillips amp/BD player combo that has 4 aux audio inputs and I have to provide audio for 2 projectors. My HC1040 is used for cable TV and as a computer monitor (1920 x 1200 is a nice format for that) and I use a 4-1 HDMI switch to feed it TV, HTPC (two DPs) and Phillips BD, and I direct connect my X700 to the HDMI 2.0 port on my UHD50 and feed it's audio via coax to the amp, and direct connect the 2nd HTPC DP (via DP to HDMI cable) to the UHD50 HDMI 1.4 port. If I add a Roku then I need another HDMI switch or a new amp/sound system with multiple HDMI inputs. This setup is in our condo and I can't really use a better sound system here anyways.

As we say in Canada, we're not cheap, we're frugal...
bud16415 and Panson like this.
DunMunro is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 09-04-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 7,777
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
After thinking about this a little more all it really is a link to the prime web page where you go ahead and sign in and it remembers your info. Oh and they have an icon.

I have programmed other web sites to click to open no different than when I use my laptop as a HTPC. Seems like if you manually entered the prime site it should let you in.

Ether way why are they removing something that’s working. If they don’t want to support it as it’s old I can see that but just let it keep working.

Anymore about half the time I stream using the computer I have a VGA cable out, audio out and hit select on the AVR and comp on the projector and I’m off and running. I know the HDMI from the BD should look better but I can’t tell the difference. Its fun to find what I want to watch on the laptop from at least 30 streaming sites I have bookmarked and when I get ready turn on the projector.

With future upgrades a new PC / laptop with a BD drive and HDMI out and a OTA tuner and I can toss a lot of boxes and remotes.

Bud
bud16415 is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 09-08-2019, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mfountain01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I don't see the S6700 listed as losing Amazon Prime anywhere. Do you have a link to the Sony bulletin that lists the S6700 as losing it?

The Sony UK bulletin linked upthread doesn't list the S6700.
(A little delay in replying; I kept getting error messages about the post.)
This what I received from Amazon:

“Amazon will no longer be supporting the Prime Video app on your Sony Blu-ray Disc Player / Sony Network Media Player / Sony Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System / Sony AV Receiver as of September 26, 2019. We are continually upgrading our service and this occasionally means we can no longer support certain device models.”

A “best” case scenario might be that the message is in error and my hardware will continue to work. I suppose we will see what we see in 2 weeks.
mfountain01 is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 09-08-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfountain01 View Post
(A little delay in replying; I kept getting error messages about the post.)
This what I received from Amazon:

“Amazon will no longer be supporting the Prime Video app on your Sony Blu-ray Disc Player / Sony Network Media Player / Sony Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System / Sony AV Receiver as of September 26, 2019. We are continually upgrading our service and this occasionally means we can no longer support certain device models.”

A “best” case scenario might be that the message is in error and my hardware will continue to work. I suppose we will see what we see in 2 weeks.
Keep us in the loop. I'm curious to see what will happen.
DunMunro is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 09-08-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Where the Internet stinks
Posts: 4,376
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Do you want a Blu-ray player or a media streamer?

You see, this is the problem. EVERYONE demands that their $100 Blu-ray player pull double duty as an all-purpose streaming device.

Then, this reality comes crashing in with the fact that Blu-ray players are just supposed to be Blu-ray players and none of the Blu-ray manufacturers really cares at all about your ability to get an amazing Netflix (or Prime) viewing experience, and they have no real care if they support the applications built into their player years after you have purchased it.

This is why Roku, Fire, and Chromecast devices all do so much better. Roku stock has jumped over 10 fold this year. Think about that.

You really haven't talked much about your setup and the requirements that you have to go along with it, but there are HDMI audio extractors which can be used, and HDMI switches with optical audio output if you need something to work with an old receiver that only has optical or coaxial digital audio inputs. I used my old non-HDMI receiver for years.

I had a few HDMI audio extractor's behind my gear to get digital optical audio out of my HDMI enabled devices. Worked like a charm.
Although I agree with you that streaming is not the best from a BluRay player, and much better from a dedicated streaming device (e.g. AppleTV). However, you purchase an item and expect it to work with how it was advertised when you spent your hard earned money on it. When the item stops supporting any item that it did when you first purchased, that's not cool....regardless if you feel that item is best suited from another piece of equipment (although I agree with that point). It's like buying a non Subaru with AWD, and then two years later, the computer system shuts it down because the company no longer wants to support it as they don't really care about AWD, should have purchased a Subaru.
tonybradley is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 09-08-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Although I agree with you that streaming is not the best from a BluRay player, and much better from a dedicated streaming device (e.g. AppleTV). However, you purchase an item and expect it to work with how it was advertised when you spent your hard earned money on it. When the item stops supporting any item that it did when you first purchased, that's not cool....regardless if you feel that item is best suited from another piece of equipment (although I agree with that point). It's like buying a non Subaru with AWD, and then two years later, the computer system shuts it down because the company no longer wants to support it as they don't really care about AWD, should have purchased a Subaru.
Like it or not, companies have used disclaimers for many years.

Example from Sony BDP-S6500 manual:

Disclaimer regarding services offered by third parties

Services offered by third parties may be changed, suspended, or terminated without prior notice. Sony does not bear any responsibility in these sorts of situations.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 7,777
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Like it or not, companies have used disclaimers for many years.

Example from Sony BDP-S6500 manual:

Disclaimer regarding services offered by third parties

Services offered by third parties may be changed, suspended, or terminated without prior notice. Sony does not bear any responsibility in these sorts of situations.
My Sony BD player came with maybe 100 preset apps for streaming. Some open some were DOA and apps I never heard of. Many require you to get out a credit card before they let you go to far others have a selection of free content to get you hooked or to make you watch enough ads that you will pay to join.

I don’t see what the BD player is doing as anything different than what my Roku is doing except it is built into a device. I suspect there is some kind of a kick back to Sony or Roku for having your streaming site pop up automatically. It is IMO a side business Sony has going on. In the streaming marketplace 5 years is a long time many come and go and have to be culled out and new added. Prime Video isn’t such an app though. This is Amazon saying they wont support their own product on older equipment and telling Sony drop the app. Working today not working tomorrow. Prime Video is still alive and well though.

I’m in a unique spot where I can stream my Prime 3 different ways BD player, Roku, and HTPC. Each one is a different interface and the best is the computer and the worst is the BD player in terms of function. The PC is very 2019 and the BD player is more of a 1990s feel. For that reason I often sit down at the computer and search on stuff to watch Netflix and Prime preview a little and add them to my list. Then at night I fire up my projector and turn on the BD player and there they are on the first line. One click and I’m watching. It is just so much easier to type on a keyboard and move around with a mouse than those click keyboard things on TV.

Amazon is testing the water here to see at what point people will push back. They do the updates so you would think they know who has what out there. Even though I don’t think my Sony player is on the list yet I can see they are not keeping up as good as other platforms, and a lot of that could be the limited abilities of the older BD players. Sounds like they are trying to make a deal on getting these people some new hardware at a good price. Too bad they can’t just plug it into the BD player.

I’m beginning to think the only thing I’m not going to have to update every five years is my screen and my speakers.
Panson likes this.

Bud
bud16415 is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,135
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfountain01 View Post
Thanks for the input. Simply replacing the Blu ray player itself is the path of least resistance. Finding one that will still play Prime Video after Sept. 26th and have the digital optical connection my system requires is the trick. I might hope that the x700 had slightly better reviews – about 20% on Amazon are pretty scathing. Just feels like the whole thing has become way more complicated and annoying than it needs to be.
Unless I am missing something they are only ending support, meaning if you have problems you are SOL, but that the app will still work on the player.
liffie420 is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
My Sony BD player came with maybe 100 preset apps for streaming. Some open some were DOA and apps I never heard of. Many require you to get out a credit card before they let you go to far others have a selection of free content to get you hooked or to make you watch enough ads that you will pay to join.

I don’t see what the BD player is doing as anything different than what my Roku is doing except it is built into a device. I suspect there is some kind of a kick back to Sony or Roku for having your streaming site pop up automatically. It is IMO a side business Sony has going on. In the streaming marketplace 5 years is a long time many come and go and have to be culled out and new added. Prime Video isn’t such an app though. This is Amazon saying they wont support their own product on older equipment and telling Sony drop the app. Working today not working tomorrow. Prime Video is still alive and well though.

I’m in a unique spot where I can stream my Prime 3 different ways BD player, Roku, and HTPC. Each one is a different interface and the best is the computer and the worst is the BD player in terms of function. The PC is very 2019 and the BD player is more of a 1990s feel. For that reason I often sit down at the computer and search on stuff to watch Netflix and Prime preview a little and add them to my list. Then at night I fire up my projector and turn on the BD player and there they are on the first line. One click and I’m watching. It is just so much easier to type on a keyboard and move around with a mouse than those click keyboard things on TV.

Amazon is testing the water here to see at what point people will push back. They do the updates so you would think they know who has what out there. Even though I don’t think my Sony player is on the list yet I can see they are not keeping up as good as other platforms, and a lot of that could be the limited abilities of the older BD players. Sounds like they are trying to make a deal on getting these people some new hardware at a good price. Too bad they can’t just plug it into the BD player.

I’m beginning to think the only thing I’m not going to have to update every five years is my screen and my speakers.

I don't know who's doing or getting what. I haven't delved into it. I'd like to know, only out of curiosity. Other than kicking Netflix to the curb, I'm normally a peaceful fun-loving guy.

I've only had a handful of experiences with streaming apps--Panasonic and Sony TVs, Panasonic and Sony 4KUHD players, Sony Blu-ray player. The best quality is the Panasonic 4K UHD player. The others are distant in PQ and somewhat clumsy in operation.

I like the convenience of using the 4K UHD player , and am satisfied with its PQ and operation. However, with disclaimers in mind, another option may not be far off. Not too worried. Cheers.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 09-09-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Unless I am missing something they are only ending support, meaning if you have problems you are SOL, but that the app will still work on the player.
They would likely remove it with a firmware update. Don't know if they can disable it before doing that.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 09-09-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,135
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
They would likely remove it with a firmware update. Don't know if they can disable it before doing that.
That could be true. Personally I have never used any of the apps on my Sony UHD player. I always preferred my smart tv apps, mainly due to 1 button access, plus they seems to be more responsive. I did try the YouTube app on the sony but blah. I have everything running through a Logitech Harmony remote and it just seems to work better and faster through the TV.
liffie420 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off