54Likes

post #211 of 315 Old 03-22-2020, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Is this really a problem or simply tech moving on. These new projectors work great for most bluray players. If recording is the issue, then all cable boxes record that I know of. Players have to be 4k compatible, like bluray players. If bluray players are up-scalable to 4k, they still won't show 4K videos, just 1080p movies upscaled to a 4k TV. Is your Tivo 4k capable or 4k scalable or simply 1080p. Don't blame Optoma, your Tivo is most likely outdated--and I have a lot of that sitting around....
my tivo is a 9 month old bolt, which has 4k and hdr. its not old tech. Its also the case that new tech sometimes doesnt play nice. I dont have cable, from my understanding tivo sends two hdcp handshakes, one for tv and one for streaming and that likely the projector isnt 'listening' for quite long enough. Other people have this issue with their tivo's too, but my other 4k tv's work just fine, so honestly I think its both the tivo and the optoma doing it wrong or at least different. The only reason Im not happy about it is that I wanted all of my tv to come from one source which in theory the tivo is great for, however, the app creators arent putting nearly the resources into tivo as they are apple and android boxes. Ive added a roku ultra and it seems to be working really well for what I want it to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 315 Old 03-22-2020, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
And discussing why optoma chose to change the 3d setting from user selectable to requiring an edid. There is no optoma solution at this time.
This is a bummer. I was going to get this pj connected to PC for playing all sorts of videos from NAS including 3d.
post #213 of 315 Old 03-22-2020, 08:28 PM

Windows display resolution, 3840x2160 or 1920x1080?

A question I have to anyone who has connected a PC to 52alv for 4K movie. What is the display resolution I will need to set with Windows 10, 3840x2160? As the native resolution of the pj is still 1920x1080, will Windows desktop be displayed clearly when resolution is set to 3840x2160?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 315 Old 03-22-2020, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC8813 View Post
A question I have to anyone who has connected a PC to 52alv for 4K movie. What is the display resolution I will need to set with Windows 10, 3840x2160? As the native resolution of the pj is still 1920x1080, will Windows desktop be displayed clearly when resolution is set to 3840x2160?
The 'native resolution' of the DMD is not 1920 x 1080 when XPR is active.

Use 3840x2160 @ 60hz or 30hz, if your PC supports it. On my UHD50, this provides much better sharpness
post #215 of 315 Old 03-22-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
The 'native resolution' of the DMD is not 1920 x 1080 when XPR is active.

Use 3840x2160 @ 60hz or 30hz, if your PC supports it. On my UHD50, this provides much better sharpness
Thanks DunMunro, for the confirmation.
post #216 of 315 Old 03-22-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
This is a bummer. I was going to get this pj connected to PC for playing all sorts of videos from NAS including 3d.
a windows pc may work as it can send the 3d edid if you set it correctly, however plex will not so youre just opening the file with vlc etc which isnt very elegant.
post #217 of 315 Old 03-23-2020, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
my tivo is a 9 month old bolt, which has 4k and hdr. its not old tech. Its also the case that new tech sometimes doesnt play nice. I dont have cable, from my understanding tivo sends two hdcp handshakes, one for tv and one for streaming and that likely the projector isnt 'listening' for quite long enough. Other people have this issue with their tivo's too, but my other 4k tv's work just fine, so honestly I think its both the tivo and the optoma doing it wrong or at least different. The only reason Im not happy about it is that I wanted all of my tv to come from one source which in theory the tivo is great for, however, the app creators arent putting nearly the resources into tivo as they are apple and android boxes. Ive added a roku ultra and it seems to be working really well for what I want it to do.
@Frost , I should have read your previous posts before I responded. You are obviously a well seasoned user. I had a lot of issues with my 51ALV when first got it. I tried three different hdmi cables and finally found one that worked without glitching. These all were hdmi 2.0 cables handling 4k 60fps--some cables can only handle 4k 30fps. There is an EDID switch through the menu (see page 27 of your manual) to switch to 1.4 hdmi if colors don't look right, especially for 3D, since 3D is 1.4 compliant. 4k requires 2.0, though I believe, and it defaults to 2.0. Another issue is what you turn on first. I usually turn on the projector first, then the bluray player, but sometimes that doesn't work, especially for 3D. While it doesn't make intuitive sense, the cable that finally worked, was not the best cable I had, and if you go over 15 feet, you can have all kinds of issues. Have you tried different cables? Looks like you have a top of the line cable, but you never know. Cheers...and stay safe.
post #218 of 315 Old 03-23-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
@Frost , I should have read your previous posts before I responded. You are obviously a well seasoned user. I had a lot of issues with my 51ALV when first got it. I tried three different hdmi cables and finally found one that worked without glitching. These all were hdmi 2.0 cables handling 4k 60fps--some cables can only handle 4k 30fps. There is an EDID switch through the menu (see page 27 of your manual) to switch to 1.4 hdmi if colors don't look right, especially for 3D, since 3D is 1.4 compliant. 4k requires 2.0, though I believe, and it defaults to 2.0. Another issue is what you turn on first. I usually turn on the projector first, then the bluray player, but sometimes that doesn't work, especially for 3D. While it doesn't make intuitive sense, the cable that finally worked, was not the best cable I had, and if you go over 15 feet, you can have all kinds of issues. Have you tried different cables? Looks like you have a top of the line cable, but you never know. Cheers...and stay safe.
Yeah, tivo is just known to deal with handshakes poorly and the 3d part, theres literally no way to select it myself, it has to come from the edid which plex doesnt send. I do a lot of huge scale projection as part of my business, so Im pretty versed in how to get this done, but when hdcp issues come up theres little one can do as a consumer. In the end, an expensive hdcp stripper and adding a roku ultra got this all working nicely. The picture looks great. I dream of inky black blacks and even brighter brights but thats just not the state of where we are at in technology yet. all in all, the picture is sharp, and bright with realistic colors.
post #219 of 315 Old 03-23-2020, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, blacks are relative. I have brightness at 0 and contrast at 50 and different gamma for different movie types, mostly Cinema for movies and Graphics or Video for 3D. I use a Sony bluray for 3D, and it's the best 3D I've seen in all the years I've had projectors. And of course, my 51ALV has the dead-sea of pixels around the image--don't bother me though as they fall on a dark wall outside my screen.
post #220 of 315 Old 03-23-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, blacks are relative. I have brightness at 0 and contrast at 50 and different gamma for different movie types, mostly Cinema for movies and Graphics or Video for 3D. I use a Sony bluray for 3D, and it's the best 3D I've seen in all the years I've had projectors. And of course, my 51ALV has the dead-sea of pixels around the image--don't bother me though as they fall on a dark wall outside my screen.
they must have changed the brightness and contrast settings as mine are centered at 0 and i dont think even go up to 50. mine are -4 brightness -8 contrast in cinema mode. I used tools to set that.
post #221 of 315 Old 03-23-2020, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
they must have changed the brightness and contrast settings as mine are centered at 0 and i dont think even go up to 50. mine are -4 brightness -8 contrast in cinema mode. I used tools to set that.
Interesting--I did look it up in the 52ALV manual and the controls are the same as the 51ALV. If it works for you, that's all that matters. I picked up the settings I'm using from another owner. I use Cinema mode for my settings too. Hmm. Only big issue I've had is the need to turn down red. The 51ALV does use an older dlp chip, though, so maybe that makes a difference.
post #222 of 315 Old 03-26-2020, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yesterdsy after 3 continous hours use of the projector, first I found like if the image has broke in two, like a flickering. I restarted it , the problem went away, but I realized that the fan noise was too loud. Then I turned off dinamic black and the projector was silent again. Does anyone has the same problem? Or the projector too loud after using dinamic black with 4k hdr?
post #223 of 315 Old 03-26-2020, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanma10 View Post
Yesterdsy after 3 continous hours use of the projector, first I found like if the image has broke in two, like a flickering. I restarted it , the problem went away, but I realized that the fan noise was too loud. Then I turned off dinamic black and the projector was silent again. Does anyone has the same problem? Or the projector too loud after using dinamic black with 4k hdr?
Your HDMI cable might be marginal.

You might have the projector in a poorly ventilated place. The UHD50 series cases are very quiet.
post #224 of 315 Old 03-26-2020, 09:19 AM

I have a fiber optic hdmi cable and the projector is hanging form the ceiling. I don’t think that is a poor ventilation problem . Today Ipowered on it and tried it for 10 minutes and have no issues. Tonight I will try it again to see if it happen again
post #225 of 315 Old 03-26-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a fiber optic hdmi cable and the projector is hanging form the ceiling. I don’t think that is a poor ventilation problem . Today Ipowered on it and tried it for 10 minutes and have no issues. Tonight I will try it again to see if it happen again
Ceilings can get much warmer than you'd think, especially if there is no air movement in the room.
post #226 of 315 Old 03-26-2020, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like you are suffering from dust and grime being sucked into your projector. Or you are getting heat buildup in a room that has baseboard heat, not hot-air furnace heat that continually moves air across the ceiling.

Check page 40 of the user manual to clean out dust filter, if one installed. See if there is dust in the channel. You could try holding a vacuum up to the channel and getting any dust out of there, but be careful. You can also open the bulb location and see if there is anything in there. Never use your bare hands when doing this. Touching the bulb with bare hands can destroy it with the oils on your hands--us thin cloth gloves. Are you in a high altitude, there is a high altitude switch in the sub menu. Switching it on will speed up the fan for better cooling high altitudes with thinner air. If you continue to have problems, switch it on if it's off and see if that makes a difference. The projector should be mounted at least 4" down from any ceiling and have free space on all four sides. Plus projectors usually shouldn't be pointing up or down more that 15 degrees off horizontal. This can cause heat buildup in uneven part areas.

If you are in a high dust area or smoky environment, then get a filter to keep it out of the light channel. When all else fails call Optoma for warranty repair. Don't ask them what to do, just say you're are having this problem and want it fixed. Asking them for advice is usually a wasted effort.
post #227 of 315 Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM

Hi thanks for Botha anwsers! I’m sending a picture of my living room . Last night was a very hot night and I didn’t turn on the air conditioner. The projector has less than a month , but little use time since I bought it . Maybe is dust. The other day I check that has no dust filter . Only a place to install it I think? I don’t won’t to take it off the ceiling to clean it . Should I try to vacuum it with a normal vacuum put near the projector ventilation holes when it’s turn off?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF503411-16CB-4A5D-90A1-11E6B1078A6C_1585243847953.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2701914  
post #228 of 315 Old 03-26-2020, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi thanks for Botha anwsers! I’m sending a picture of my living room . Last night was a very hot night and I didn’t turn on the air conditioner. The projector has less than a month , but little use time since I bought it . Maybe is dust. The other day I check that has no dust filter . Only a place to install it I think? I don’t won’t to take it off the ceiling to clean it . Should I try to vacuum it with a normal vacuum put near the projector ventilation holes when it’s turn off?

I don't think a dust filter is needed, but if you don't turn on the AC, then you should have a fan on to move the air in the room, and prevent hot air from pooling on the ceiling.
post #229 of 315 Old 03-26-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree with @DunMunro .
post #230 of 315 Old 04-06-2020, 04:15 PM

Liked: 5
Hopefully someone can help me with some opinions. I've been doing a lot of projector research for my next upgrade and I'm torn between this one and the BenQ HT3550.

I currently have the Optoma UHD51ALV and was my first 4K after having the Epson 5030. I love the 4K image of the Optoma but heard the BenQ has better for blacks and dark scenes with the iris which has now become my biggest complain with the UHD51ALV.

My settings were all calibrated and I don't have issues with most images but I've noticed with specific movies (Terminator: Dark Fate 4K) the image is super dark in places. Almost so dark that it's hard to see. I notice in other movies but not as often or bad - but definitely noticeable. I'm in a completely light controlled room with dark grey walls with a black wall behind the screen and a white ceiling.

I'm drawn to the UHD52ALV for the additional lumens and what I've read is superb 3D. But being my issue is dark scenes, the BenQ seems better for contrast and dark scenes in general because of the iris, though I'm worried that the decrease in lumens - even from what I have now - will make all images noticeably darker and be bad for 3D. I enjoy 3D enough that I still want the option, but 4K is my primary method of watching.

The only issue I can see that my UHD51 has is the lamp life but I'm only at 2587 total hours split between Bright 862 hours and Dynamic 1742 hours and that seems too low to be causing darkness issues to that degree.

Ideally I'd like to be able to just compare visually compare myself, but not as easy to do these days.

Thoughts?
post #231 of 315 Old 04-06-2020, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls1981 View Post
Hopefully someone can help me with some opinions. I've been doing a lot of projector research for my next upgrade and I'm torn between this one and the BenQ HT3550.

I currently have the Optoma UHD51ALV and was my first 4K after having the Epson 5030. I love the 4K image of the Optoma but heard the BenQ has better for blacks and dark scenes with the iris which has now become my biggest complain with the UHD51ALV.

My settings were all calibrated and I don't have issues with most images but I've noticed with specific movies (Terminator: Dark Fate 4K) the image is super dark in places. Almost so dark that it's hard to see. I notice in other movies but not as often or bad - but definitely noticeable. I'm in a completely light controlled room with dark grey walls with a black wall behind the screen and a white ceiling.

I'm drawn to the UHD52ALV for the additional lumens and what I've read is superb 3D. But being my issue is dark scenes, the BenQ seems better for contrast and dark scenes in general because of the iris, though I'm worried that the decrease in lumens - even from what I have now - will make all images noticeably darker and be bad for 3D. I enjoy 3D enough that I still want the option, but 4K is my primary method of watching.

The only issue I can see that my UHD51 has is the lamp life but I'm only at 2587 total hours split between Bright 862 hours and Dynamic 1742 hours and that seems too low to be causing darkness issues to that degree.

Ideally I'd like to be able to just compare visually compare myself, but not as easy to do these days.

Thoughts?
What are you using as a 4K source?

I found that I was able to get substantially better dark and shadow detail performance with my UHD50 from a Panasonic UB420 and it's HDR optimizer. Your source should be sending YUV as this results in somewhat better contrast and colour performance.

Using the UB420 I can keep the HDR hilights from blowing out and I can preserve dark shadow detail and still use HDR Bright or standard and Gamma 2.4. On some movies I can set the UB420 to output 4K HDR BDs to 4K BT2020 SDR and use Reference mode along with Gamma 2.0 to 2.4.

My Sony X700 4K BD player also does well, but I find that I typically have to use gamma 1.8 or 2.0 to preserve shadow detail, but accept some blown out hilights.

Last edited by DunMunro; 04-06-2020 at 04:41 PM.
post #232 of 315 Old 04-06-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
What are you using as a 4K source?

I found that I was able to get substantially better dark and shadow detail performance with my UHD50 from a Panasonic UB420 and it's HDR optimizer. Your source should be sending YUV as this results in somewhat better contrast and colour performance.

Using the UB420 I can keep the HDR hilights from blowing out and I can preserve dark shadow detail and still use HDR Bright or standard and Gamma 2.4. On some movies I can set the UB420 to output 4K HDR BDs to 4K BT2020 SDR and use Reference mode along with Gamma 2.0 to 2.4.

My Sony X700 4K BD player also does well, but I find that I typically have to use gamma 1.8 or 2.0 to preserve shadow detail, but accept some blown out hilights.
I have it go through a Sony STR-DN1080 receiver and use an Xbox One X. I needed something to serve as a media player as well and didn't want to buy two separate devices.
post #233 of 315 Old 04-06-2020, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have it go through a Sony STR-DN1080 receiver and use an Xbox One X. I needed something to serve as a media player as well and didn't want to buy two separate devices.
OK, but adding a UB420 or X700 will be a lot cheaper than a new projector.

Make sure that the XB1X is outputting YUV.
post #234 of 315 Old 04-06-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
OK, but adding a UB420 or X700 will be a lot cheaper than a new projector.

Make sure that the XB1X is outputting YUV.
My settings are good. It's one of the first things I always get right when I do a new setup. I'll give the X700 a shot being Best Buy can have it available tomorrow for curb side. Initially I went with the Xbox for the updates as well being it was more likely to receive them over a stand alone player. We'll see if that was the wrong choice. I'll report back the results. Thanks!
DunMunro likes this.
post #235 of 315 Old 04-07-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
My settings are good. It's one of the first things I always get right when I do a new setup. I'll give the X700 a shot being Best Buy can have it available tomorrow for curb side. Initially I went with the Xbox for the updates as well being it was more likely to receive them over a stand alone player. We'll see if that was the wrong choice. I'll report back the results. Thanks!
I turned the HDR off on the Xbox and and watched the same really dark scene from Terminator. It was a lighter image, but seemed washed out with the blacks being more grey. Not a horrible difference, but noticeable.

I then hooked up the X700 up and went through all the settings and tried again. It was a noticeable upgrade from the Xbox which was nice. The image felt like it had more depth, but in terms of darkness, it was a less noticeable difference than when turning HDR off. In terms of a solution, it would work as a nice overall upgrade to my system, but not viable for dealing with the issue of dark scenes being overly dark and void of details. Thanks for the suggestion though.
DunMunro likes this.
post #236 of 315 Old 04-07-2020, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I turned the HDR off on the Xbox and and watched the same really dark scene from Terminator. It was a lighter image, but seemed washed out with the blacks being more grey. Not a horrible difference, but noticeable.

I then hooked up the X700 up and went through all the settings and tried again. It was a noticeable upgrade from the Xbox which was nice. The image felt like it had more depth, but in terms of darkness, it was a less noticeable difference than when turning HDR off. In terms of a solution, it would work as a nice overall upgrade to my system, but not viable for dealing with the issue of dark scenes being overly dark and void of details. Thanks for the suggestion though.
The X700 has a setting for projector output which changes HDR tone mapping to that more suitable for projectors.

Have you experimented with changing the HDR Dynamic range options on the projector (Try Bright-Standard-Film-Details) and the gamma (try video - 1.8 - 2.0)? With the X700 Dynamic Range = Bright and Gamma 1.8 or 2.0 often works well.

Last edited by DunMunro; 04-07-2020 at 05:18 PM.
post #237 of 315 Old 04-07-2020, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone compared this to the UHD50X? Is so, what are your thoughts on which performed better picture-wise in general and with 3d?
post #238 of 315 Old 04-08-2020, 02:23 PM

Got an open box

Just got an open box item. Here are two questions.

1) I can't find anywhere around the box nor on the side or top/bottom of the projector which says UHD52ALV. How do I know it is UHD52ALV? Only a piece of paper for the mobile app which shows UHD52ALV. For all who have brought the projector, is this the case?

2) I can't find the fan filter in the housing. The housing is empty. Is the projector shipped with the filter in it? Or you need to buy the filter by yourself?

Thanks in advance.
post #239 of 315 Old 04-08-2020, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just got an open box item. Here are two questions.

1) I can't find anywhere around the box nor on the side or top/bottom of the projector which says UHD52ALV. How do I know it is UHD52ALV? Only a piece of paper for the mobile app which shows UHD52ALV. For all who have brought the projector, is this the case?

2) I can't find the fan filter in the housing. The housing is empty. Is the projector shipped with the filter in it? Or you need to buy the filter by yourself?

Thanks in advance.
Filters are optional on most DLP projectors as they have a sealed light engine. Typically they're never needed.

The case should be white with 2 x HDMI 2.0 ports on the back. IIRC, there's a metal plate on the underside with a model number(An Optoma ID code) and power requirements which you can google.

Last edited by DunMunro; 04-08-2020 at 02:45 PM.
post #240 of 315 Old 04-08-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And a UHD52ALV review:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/optoma-uhd52alv

Overall, it's pretty positive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP