Epson 5040UB haze light colored walls/ceiling/carpet - what's the best can expect? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 2 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By Cattledog
  • 1 Post By Cattledog
  • 2 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By DavidinGA
  • 1 Post By cardoski

post #1 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Question Epson 5040UB haze light colored walls/ceiling/carpet - what's the best can expect?

I sold my Epson 5040UB to someone who wants to return it complaining of haze in the image saying the projector isn't living up to what it is advertised to be even saying the projector is defective. The buyer has already initiated a return with eBay which would cost me a lot of money with to/from shipping costs I'd eat. I'm looking for objective opinions on what can be expected for quality of image (e.g., haze) for these conditions considering having light colored walls, ceiling and carpeting and not a light controlled room from the looks of the pics (see attached pic)? I've explained my feelings on the matter but am looking for objective opinions. Thanks for your opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	924.4 KB
ID:	2608220  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
I sold my Epson 5040UB to someone who wants to return it complaining of haze in the image saying the projector isn't living up to what it is advertised to be even saying the projector is defective. The buyer has already initiated a return with eBay which would cost me a lot of money with to/from shipping costs I'd eat. I'm looking for objective opinions on what can be expected for quality of image (e.g., haze) for these conditions considering having light colored walls, ceiling and carpeting and not a light controlled room from the looks of the pics (see attached pic)? I've explained my feelings on the matter but am looking for objective opinions. Thanks for your opinion.
That room is washing out the image by far. Honestly a waste of money to try and use a projector under those room conditions. An ALR screen would help significantly but a projector is still not going to perform optimally due to all the direct light and light reflections in that room. The buyer was not prepared for a projector.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WynsWrld98 and cardoski like this.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That person didn't even correctly build their screen frame. Look at top center and the corners. Screen has to be affected by the frame not being straight. I would ask them to take a picture when it isn't daylight or all the lights on. Image will look much better then even with all the light reflecting back onto the screen from the white walls and ceiling. Honestly sounds like someone who found a better deal on another display they prefer such as a tv and realized they made a mistake trying to put a projector in such a contrast and image destroying room. It isn't my situation but I am enraged at your buyer for this obviously deceitful attempt to return a working projector. Trying to use a picture taken under the worst viewing conditions with all that light to state the projector is defective is duplicitous.

WynsWrld98 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
That person didn't even correctly build their screen frame. Look at top center and the corners. Screen has to be affected by the frame not being straight. I would ask them to take a picture when it isn't daylight or all the lights on. Image will look much better then even with all the light reflecting back onto the screen from the white walls and ceiling. Honestly sounds like someone who found a better deal on another display they prefer such as a tv and realized they made a mistake trying to put a projector in such a contrast and image destroying room. It isn't my situation but I am enraged at your buyer for this obviously deceitful attempt to return a working projector. Trying to use a picture taken under the worst viewing conditions with all that light to state the projector is defective is duplicitous.

I did ask for a pic at night with no lights on but haven't received such a pic.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately you are not going to get one this is a very disreputable buyer in my opinion who is just trying to get his money back, not due to a defective projector, but due to the fact that he doesn't want to go to the trouble making his room suitable for a projector.

WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I think this is a case of buyers remorse. Ebay sucks for sellers!
WynsWrld98 likes this.

Reality Based.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Honestly I'm getting angrier by the minute the more I stare at this picture I mean you can see the Shadows on the wall better being cast from just the knick knacks on the floor. This is clearly a living room with as much light reflecting on the screen as humanly possible from all the white and light objects in the room. This is seriously just a case of a buyer who didn't understand what it takes to display a projector correctly. I feel so bad for you. I guarantee to the left is a window which is why he cropped it out of the picture if not a window on the right as well and the gentleman clearly has the light streaming in hasn't even closed his curtains or put down as blinds. This picture is clearly being staged to send to eBay so that he can have his money back. I would make sure when you rate the buyer on eBay that you leave a comment about this deceitful picture used to get his money back. There is absolutely not a thing wrong with your projector I am 100% confident in that.

WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Honestly I'm getting angrier by the minute the more I stare at this picture I mean you can see the Shadows on the wall better being cast from just the knick knacks on the floor. This is clearly a living room with as much light reflecting on the screen as humanly possible from all the white and light objects in the room. This is seriously just a case of a buyer who didn't understand what it takes to display a projector correctly. I feel so bad for you. I guarantee to the left is a window which is why he cropped it out of the picture if not a window on the right as well and the gentleman clearly has the light streaming in hasn't even closed his curtains or put down as blinds. This picture is clearly being staged to send to eBay so that he can have his money back. I would make sure when you rate the buyer on eBay that you leave a comment about this deceitful picture used to get his money back. There is absolutely not a thing wrong with your projector I am 100% confident in that.

Sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers on eBay, but buyers can leave negative feedback for sellers. It's insane!
WynsWrld98 likes this.

Reality Based.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for sellers on eBay. It's insane!
So sellers can no longer rate buyers on eBay? That is absolutely ridiculous. So a buyer can just buy things all day long without any negative repercussions and return them on a whim because they didn't plan ahead on how to use the item properly. That has some real horse pucky

WynsWrld98 and cardoski like this.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I actually have a pj for sale on eBay now and know full well the risks; eBay ALWAYS caters to the buyer and screws the seller. It's asine.
WynsWrld98 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-30-2019, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I actually have a pj for sale on eBay now and know full well the risks; eBay ALWAYS caters to the buyer and screws the seller. It's asine.
That's a problem but a worse problem are UNETHICAL buyers. The only way they should initiate a return is if the item is defective and wasn't revealed as such. Just because "you don't like it" isn't ethical to return something to a seller that says they don't take returns. In that situation an ethical buyer would turn around and sell it vs. ask for a return. eBay has obviously swung too far towards buyers vs. evaluating the situation.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-30-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked: 2980
Not sure you could come up with a worse scenario(room) short of trying to watch it outside. Their expectations were unreasonable and likely not researched, you are getting screwed if they make you take it back.
WynsWrld98 likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-30-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Were they using it in dynamic mode?

Bright Cinema/Cinema mode will show poorly in those conditions.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-30-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Were they using it in dynamic mode?

Bright Cinema/Cinema mode will show poorly in those conditions.
I think they were using it in buyerremorse mode

WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 65
They must not understand you can't project black. Oy.

Epson HC5050UB | 110" DEA Infinity Edge FF | Marantz NR-1607 | Kodi HTPC | Panasonic DP-UB820 | PS4 Pro
JimK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page