Do you guys take your projectors outside? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By jeahrens
  • 1 Post By tonybradley
  • 3 Post By airscapes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By shasta
  • 1 Post By b curry

post #1 of 19 Old 08-28-2019, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you guys take your projectors outside?

Just curious for those who have a nicer 2-3k projector for you take it outside for the kids movie night etc? I’m thinking of purchasing my first projector a 5050ub and wondering if it’s a bad idea to have it do double duty? I could buy something cheap to use outside but why sacrifice quality if I don’t have to? Anyone do the same? Things to be careful of besides dropping it and moisture? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-28-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post
Just curious for those who have a nicer 2-3k projector for you take it outside for the kids movie night etc? I’m thinking of purchasing my first projector a 5050ub and wondering if it’s a bad idea to have it do double duty? I could buy something cheap to use outside but why sacrifice quality if I don’t have to? Anyone do the same? Things to be careful of besides dropping it and moisture? Thanks!
Personally I would never take my 6050 outside. Dust blobs are a real thing. Too many particles in the air outside. Smoke, pollen, soot and dust to name a few. Moisture content that you mentioned. Also always a chance you stumble and drop your $3k projector. Portable very inexpensive 1080P projectors can be found which have very small small speakers for outdoor movie night can be found without jeopardizing the main attraction for your indoor home theater. I would say overall a very, very bad idea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 Old 08-28-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Mine will only go outside if the house is on fire.

As Skylar said way better options for outdoor viewing than transporting a fragile expensive investment into an environment it wasn't designed for.
Wesley Hester likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-28-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
No Way. I do take my previous 720p PJ outside for movies.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-28-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 423
wish "I" could go outside at night .. mosquitoes would love to watch a slasher movie while feasting on me, but I think NOT! Also, it is very costly to air condition the outdoors..

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #6 of 19 Old 08-28-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
I have 3 working projectors and my current pride and joy won’t come down until I upgrade it in a year or two. It is a $500 1080 DLP that most would conceder an outdoor contender. I also have two other working projectors an XGA and a WXGA the WXGA is my backup projector and my on the road projector when needed. The XGA is the loaner projector and one I would take out in the garage or the back deck. It is an older DLP with a sealed light path. It doesn’t owe me anything and is also a light cannon that would be great for watching at dusk.

Bud
post #7 of 19 Old 08-29-2019, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 93
No, and I don't take mine for a walk either...

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-29-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
In short no, there are too many $500-$800 dollar projectors available that will perform great outside, secondly I don't believe your going to add much to the experience with a 4k projector in an out door environment, at least not enough for me to haul it outside and risk the dozens of bad things that could happen to it. I've been using my 1st projector, an Epson 2150, outside this summer and have no complaints, it produces a clear large bright picture that wowed everyone that saw it.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-31-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 158
As someone else already mentioned, I would use a DLP with sealed lightpath to watch movies outside. And even these will have a warning against outdoor use on the manual. Used high end business projectors can be purchased for as low as $200 including the lens and a lamp. they will be much better at resisting damage, they will also be brighter. Motion might not be great, but it will be good enough if you buy one of those that was $5000+ on release. Besides, in theory it may seem like a good idea to use the same projector for indoors and outdoors, but soon you’ll find out that setting it up and aligning it with the screen each time isn’t practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 19 Old 09-04-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post
In short no, there are too many $500-$800 dollar projectors available that will perform great outside, secondly I don't believe your going to add much to the experience with a 4k projector in an out door environment, at least not enough for me to haul it outside and risk the dozens of bad things that could happen to it. I've been using my 1st projector, an Epson 2150, outside this summer and have no complaints, it produces a clear large bright picture that wowed everyone that saw it.

Epson G7500U with 4K Enhancement on a 272" diagonal (21'X9') 2.39:1 screen outdoors...

Actually, 4K adds quite a lot to the viewing experience.

post #11 of 19 Old 09-04-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Epson G7500U with 4K Enhancement on a 272" diagonal (21'X9') 2.39:1 screen outdoors...

Actually, 4K adds quite a lot to the viewing experience.

I am sure it does add quite a bit at that size when watching 4k content. Most people would not feel comfortable taking a $3500 projector outside. Along with the 9 available lens that is quite an expensive setup for being outside. I am sure 6500 lumens it is quite breathtaking for outdoor viewing. Hopefully it is all covered.

shasta likes this.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-04-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I've got to disagree here. Sure in a controlled environment like my theater room, 4k is fantastic, but outside on a random BBQ night at the house, most people are not going to discern the slightest bit of difference between a 4k enhanced picture and a bright 1080p one. Also, you're talking about a $4,000.00 dollar projector, I feel it's safe to say that most of us are not going to be comfortable lugging our expensive projectors outside into the elements for a backyard movie when a $600.00 dollar projector is going to wow 99% of the people watching.
Wesley Hester likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-04-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've got to disagree here. Sure in a controlled environment like my theater room, 4k is fantastic, but outside on a random BBQ night at the house, most people are not going to discern the slightest bit of difference between a 4k enhanced picture and a bright 1080p one. Also, you're talking about a $4,000.00 dollar projector, I feel it's safe to say that most of us are not going to be comfortable lugging our expensive projectors outside into the elements for a backyard movie when a $600.00 dollar projector is going to wow 99% of the people watching.
I agree most people won't appreciate the 4k but I think AV addicts will be wowed. Maybe this is his "inexpensive" take outside projector and he has a JVC 4500 in his theater room. I wouldn't say no to an invite for either home theater in or out.

post #14 of 19 Old 09-04-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I agree most people won't appreciate the 4k but I think AV addicts will be wowed. Maybe this is his "inexpensive" take outside projector and he has a JVC 4500 in his theater room. I wouldn't say no to an invite for either home theater in or out.

Good for him if that's his cheap projector. lol I've been using my 1st projector, an Epson 2150 as my outdoor projector and it's been really fantastic. It just wouldn't be worth the hassle to drag out my 4010, not to mention the risk of weather, kids, and a generally uncontrolled environment. Maybe I'll feel different when I win the lotto and upgrade.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-04-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good for him if that's his cheap projector. lol I've been using my 1st projector, an Epson 2150 as my outdoor projector and it's been really fantastic. It just wouldn't be worth the hassle to drag out my 4010, not to mention the risk of weather, kids, and a generally uncontrolled environment. Maybe I'll feel different when I win the lotto and upgrade.
I am in your lane. I am not taking my 6050 outside. The G7500U is really a large venue large screen projector really not intended for home theater use because for most screens under 200 inches 6500 lumens would be way too bright hell inside a blacked out HT it might be too bright for 300 inches. I do take my 2009 Epson 6500UB outside for movie night.

post #16 of 19 Old 09-04-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I am sure it does add quite a bit at that size when watching 4k content. Most people would not feel comfortable taking a $3500 projector outside. Along with the 9 available lens that is quite an expensive setup for being outside. I am sure 6500 lumens it is quite breathtaking for outdoor viewing. Hopefully it is all covered.

Quote:

As a wise man once wrote, "One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor"...

4K is 4K, doesn't really matter if it's indoors or outdoors. Whether or not one can discern, appreciate, or care about the difference is a personal choice and opinion at best and we all know that opinions vary. One could opine the same about 4K's value on an indoor screen and not be wrong taking into account "most people" and their varied opinions. Like you said, "... a $600.00 dollar projector is going to wow 99% of the people watching."

The price of the projector is somewhat superfluous in my opinion but FWIW, that unit can be purchased for ~$3000 or less with lens.

I've been doing backyard movies for some time now. We set up a 5.2 sound system that supports lossless codecs and tear it all down at the end of the night. Life is short and fun is fun.

With regards to the OP, I see nothing wrong with using his Epson 5050ub outside on occasion. Sure, there is some risk. But there's risk using it indoors too; power surge, water leak, someone/something hitting it, etc... Most people using front projection will move on to or update the machine long before its useful life has come to an end. Craigslist and ebay is full of last years model projectors for sale.

Again, I've been doing backyard movies for sometime now and I've yet to have a problem with or find a bug inside the light engine. I use Epson units for outside because they have great PQ and light output for the money. I don't pretend to know why, but bugs do not get sucked into the unit. We are set up in a forest, surrounded by lakes, and have more than our fair share of flying insects. I suspect it has something to do with the heat generated by the lamp that keeps the bugs away. I've never had any problem with dust, pollen, etc., and the Epson filter is as clean as using it indoors.

Unless you live in a hermetically sealed home, using a projector outside is not that much different than using it inside. That is unless you ignore common sense or intend to use it in storm type weather conditions. I live in Michigan and we've even set up in the snow for ice skating parties and the equipment preforms flawlessly.

While I can certainly understand one placing such value on their projector and not wishing to take it outside, it's not a very valid reason with regards to its enjoyment, use, or physical capability when used outside.
Cheddarhead likes this.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for all the reply’s.....this would be my first projector. I am now leaning towards something like a refurbished Ben Q TK800 for pretty cheap, to get a taste of projector life. At the price they go for I’m ok with the outside risk. We do plan on moving in another year or so and will go more higher end dedicated inside projector at that point. Thanks for the opinions.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-04-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for all the reply’s.....this would be my first projector. I am now leaning towards something like a refurbished Ben Q TK800 for pretty cheap, to get a taste of projector life. At the price they go for I’m ok with the outside risk. We do plan on moving in another year or so and will go more higher end dedicated inside projector at that point. Thanks for the opinions.

Be careful, once the bug bites, you'll be looking to upgrade and upgrade, a fun expensive hobby.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-04-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 820
I used to borrow a cheap epson projector from my church for outdoor (dive in) movies by the pool.

By the time it got dark tho it was cold and buggy and a much better experience was a few feet away inside so I think I'm over the outdoor movie thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page