Ready to purchase my first UST projector. Help me choose! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 2 Post By ERuiz
  • 1 Post By ERuiz

post #1 of 23 Old 08-31-2019, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Ready to purchase my first UST projector. Help me choose!

Hey guys, it's been a few years since I had a nice home theater set up (135" 2.35:1 screen paired with a JVC 500R) and now that I am living in an apartment with some limited spacing, I am going the UST route.

I will be purchasing a Vividstorm 120" ALR motorized floor rising screen and my seating distance will be 12 feet.

Now comes the real question... Which 4K UST to pair it with?

I have been doing some reading up and it seems that everyone is waiting for the Optoma P1 but there is no release date for it.

This leaves me with the likes of:

Vava 4K UST
Xiaomi Mijia 4K
Wemax A300
LG HU85LA

My budget for the projector is in the $2500 - $3500 ball park. I could stretch it to $4000 if need be.

What you guys recommend?

BTW, I have a 7.2.2 Klipsch setup to wrap up the home theater experience. =)

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

LG OLED-65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-31-2019, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unless you know something I don’t, the LG is way out of your budget at $6000. If you find it for under $4k, please let us know.

The Optoma looks great on paper and is at the top of my list for now. Currently using. Viewsonic ls820 and it’s not too shabby, but I want 4K capability, even if it isn’t true native 4K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 Old 08-31-2019, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
Unless you know something I don’t, the LG is way out of your budget at $6000. If you find it for under $4k, please let us know.

The Optoma looks great on paper and is at the top of my list for now. Currently using. Viewsonic ls820 and it’s not too shabby, but I want 4K capability, even if it isn’t true native 4K.

Yea, I put the LG in there knowing it's a $6000 unit. I figure I wanted to hear input on it and if it was worth making the ultimate sacrifice of jumping my budget to $6K lol

LG OLED-65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-31-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
Hey guys, it's been a few years since I had a nice home theater set up (135" 2.35:1 screen paired with a JVC 500R) and now that I am living in an apartment with some limited spacing, I am going the UST route.

I will be purchasing a Vividstorm 120" ALR motorized floor rising screen and my seating distance will be 12 feet.

I have been doing some reading up and it seems that everyone is waiting for the Optoma P1 but there is no release date for it.

Vava 4K UST

Xiaomi Mijia 4K

Wemax A300

LG HU85LA

My budget for the projector is in the $2500 - $3500 ball park. I could stretch it to $4000 if need be.

What you guys recommend?

Wait for the Optoma P1 you won't be disappointed if the specs turn into real world performance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 23 Old 08-31-2019, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Wait for the Optoma P1 you won't be disappointed if the specs turn into real world performance.

Are there any rumors as to when it could come out? I think I read somewhere that Optoma had mentioned Q2 2019. So it could be coming out very soon.

post #6 of 23 Old 08-31-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Are there any rumors as to when it could come out? I think I read somewhere that Optoma had mentioned Q2 2019. So it could be coming out very soon.

September 15th was the latest I heard.

Should know more next week.

post #7 of 23 Old 08-31-2019, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
September 15th was the latest I heard.

Should know more next week.

Oh wow, really? I will definitely wait then. Anyone has any ideas as to probable price range for it?

post #8 of 23 Old 08-31-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh wow, really? I will definitely wait then. Anyone has any ideas as to probable price range for it?
MSRP is $2999. September 15th is the date Robert, owner of Value Electronics, has been telling people that date for months. Projectorscreens.com has it up on its site for mid-September as well.

https://www.projectorscreens.com/opt...r-3-000-lumens

Matt2026 likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-31-2019, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
MSRP is $2999. September 15th is the date Robert, owner of Value Electronics, has been telling people that date for months. Projectorscreens.com has it up on its site for mid-September as well.

https://www.projectorscreens.com/opt...r-3-000-lumens

Nice!!! This will definitely work better for me. I rather wait and go with a name brand like Optoma for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #10 of 23 Old 09-01-2019, 05:41 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Nice!!! This will definitely work better for me. I rather wait and go with a name brand like Optoma for peace of mind.

Regardless of which one you prefer, even if Optoma P1,you also need to pay attention to the fan noise level and whether the laser component will emit high frequency howling. It is said that within 2 meters, almost all USTs have obvious fan noise problems when the mute or the volume is small, but the manufacturer or the seller will not tell you. As I know,The fan noise of Xiaomi Mijia 4K and Appotronics Wemax A300 is relatively large .A300 noise is smaller than Mijia 4K,but the price of appotronics Wemax A300 is much more expensive than Xiaomi Mijia 4K
post #11 of 23 Old 09-01-2019, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

That vividstorm screen is dope. Looks like a Chinese company, and from what I've researched it's either pet crystal or pet grid. Do you happen to know which material they use for that?

I more I dig into this world, the more lost I get. LOL! Not wanting to spend $5k for a 82" was the reason I started to look at projectors. But the "most bang for you buck" doesn't seem to apply to UST projectors, especially when you factor in the special screen.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-02-2019, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Vava 4K UST
Xiaomi Mijia 4K
Wemax A300
LG HU85LA

What you guys recommend?

Greetings ERuiz.
1. The preferred UST screen for daytime viewing is the Fresnel type hard screen, but size is limited to 100" atm.
2. The alternative is the cheaper but more flexible lenticular type screen, but the low gain may be an issue.
3. A white/grey screen may be a better option in a dark room.
4. The Optoma P1 should be your first choice budget 4K UST, There could be new Vivitek release a few months down the road. The cheaper chinese made models are mostly first generation and not recommended for the novice.
5. The LG is a dual laser design that's out of your budget.
Best regards,
post #13 of 23 Old 09-02-2019, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
From what I've heard, a companies IP is liable for appropriation when doing business in China. Given the Optima is likely made there and it seems to share performance with recently released Fengmi A300 I wouldn't be surprised if the Optima CinemaX P1 is a white label Fengmi A300 with preferable warranty and software, including "Pure motion"...
post #14 of 23 Old 09-02-2019, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummm View Post
From what I've heard, a companies IP is liable for appropriation when doing business in China. Given the Optima is likely made there and it seems to share performance with recently released Fengmi A300 I wouldn't be surprised if the Optima CinemaX P1 is a white label Fengmi A300 with preferable warranty and software, including "Pure motion"...
Optoma's parent company is Coretronic Corporation which is headquartered in Taiwan. Your concerns about intellectual property theft being more prevalent in China for the last 50 years are not unfounded. China has always favored domestic corporations over foreign ones. Now more than ever their commerce now depends on their significant trade partners such as the United States, China has become more vigilant in protecting the IP rights of foreign corporations.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...l-it-quicktake

post #15 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
ViewSonic has the LS820 laser projector. And also Epson has the LS100. Is look at both if 4K isn’t a must. If joy like others have said there will be quite a few 4K coming out within 6 months.
post #16 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by moctodavs View Post
...But the "most bang for you buck" doesn't seem to apply to UST projectors, especially when you factor in the special screen.
You do NOT need to get a UST screen for UST projectors!!!

This is a myth. People need to stop spreading it and thinking that this is the case.

The standard Silver Ticket white screen is a model which has extremely high dispersion of content and is rated for use with UST projectors and is just a few hundred bucks.

Some screens are too reflective to use UST projectors, but many have high dispersion and work fine with UST models and don't cost a lot of money. Just check the specifications for the screen that is being purchased.

Most screens specially made for UST projectors are ALR screens. So, you can use the screen in a room with overhead lighting on with minimal on-screen impact. That's awesome, if you need it. But, it isn't ideal for proper theater use in a dark room with dark walls and dark ceiling/carpet. In that room, a white screen with high dispersion is ideal for all projectors, including UST models.
https://silver-ticket-products.mysho...een-material#1

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 09-04-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #17 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Vava 4K UST
Xiaomi Mijia 4K
Wemax A300
LG HU85LA

What you guys recommend?

BTW, I have a 7.2.2 Klipsch setup to wrap up the home theater experience. 😃

Are you considering the Xgimi Lune 4k Pro?
post #18 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
You do NOT need to get a UST screen for UST projectors!!!

This is a myth. People need to stop spreading it and thinking that this is the case.

The standard Silver Ticket white screen is a model which has extremely high dispersion of content and is rated for use with UST projectors and is just a few hundred bucks.

Some screens are too reflective to use UST projectors, but many have high dispersion and work fine with UST models and don't cost a lot of money. Just check the specifications for the screen that is being purchased.

Most screens specially made for UST projectors are ALR screens. So, you can use the screen in a room with overhead lighting on with minimal on-screen impact. That's awesome, if you need it. But, it isn't ideal for proper theater use in a dark room with dark walls and dark ceiling/carpet. In that room, a white screen with high dispersion is ideal for all projectors, including UST models.
https://silver-ticket-products.mysho...een-material#1
I actually understand you don't need a special UST screen. Heck, you don't need a screen at all, right? Just throw it on the wall! I guess I'm just thinking from a TV replacement perspective. To only watch it at night, it wouldn't be a tv replacement. So I would like to get an ALR. Then I'm learning movies won't be as good at night with an ALR. More dilemma, one step forward, one step back. With the prices of 82 inches dropping like crazy these days, you really have to think long and hard.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by moctodavs View Post
I actually understand you don't need a special UST screen. Heck, you don't need a screen at all, right? Just throw it on the wall! I guess I'm just thinking from a TV replacement perspective. To only watch it at night, it wouldn't be a tv replacement. So I would like to get an ALR. Then I'm learning movies won't be as good at night with an ALR. More dilemma, one step forward, one step back. With the prices of 82 inches dropping like crazy these days, you really have to think long and hard.
ALR screens will look better with lights off than lights on.
With lights on, they reflect some of the ambient/source light, but not all of it, which is why the less light, the better.
If the room has white/colored walls, ALR will help with (perceived) contrast, including with the ights off.

Last edited by noob00224; 09-05-2019 at 06:48 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 09-06-2019, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guys, I decided to go with the LG HU85LA. Already ordered and should be delivered next week. Then hopefully before the end of the month, receive the Vividstorm motorized pull up 120" ALR screen to pair it up with the projector.

Thanks for everyone's help, insight and suggestions.

TTBear and mas2k like this.

post #21 of 23 Old 09-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Hey guys, I decided to go with the LG HU85LA. Already ordered and should be delivered next week. Then hopefully before the end of the month, receive the Vividstorm motorized pull up 120" ALR screen to pair it up with the projector.

Thanks for everyone's help, insight and suggestions.

ERuiz, please keep us informed of how your new LG ST projector and new screen work out. I am considering the same type of move in about six months if I move. I’m currently enjoying my HT setup (jvc rs420, Carada 128” 2.37 AR screen, Denon AVR-X 3600, 7.2.2 Orb2s/klipsch reference subs,) but may have to include much of it in the sale of the house to get the best offers. I’ll be very interested in your experiences.
post #22 of 23 Old 09-08-2019, 11:08 PM

I notice LG doesn't boast large lumen numbers like their competitors. For $6k, the LG HU85LA is 2700 lumens. That seems kinda low compared to cheaper models all boasting between 3000 to 4000. Can someone explain why I should or shouldn't put too much emphasis on lumen numbers?
post #23 of 23 Old 09-09-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmack View Post
ERuiz, please keep us informed of how your new LG ST projector and new screen work out. I am considering the same type of move in about six months if I move. I’m currently enjoying my HT setup (jvc rs420, Carada 128” 2.37 AR screen, Denon AVR-X 3600, 7.2.2 Orb2s/klipsch reference subs,) but may have to include much of it in the sale of the house to get the best offers. I’ll be very interested in your experiences.
I will definitely let you guys know how it all pans out. It will be a few weeks before all is said and done. My pj is scheduled to be delivered this Wednesday and the screen before the end of the month. I am also considering having a new media cabinet custom built, so I can have both the projector and screen concealed inside them. I will be very busy the next few weeks but as soon as I get it all set up, I will let you all know.
mas2k likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page