Benq tk850 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 62Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 120 Old 10-30-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,695
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cutter View Post
Thanks! This is great information and exactly why I have been checking this forum every day for a month. I've been waffling between holding out for this projector (to replace a flickering Viewsonic), or picking up a BenQ th683. Since we are in Germany right now there's a good chance the 850 won't be available for many more months. Don't want to wait that long.



Annnnnd... the th683 is now out of stock. <sigh>



Amazon is supposed to get more in mid November. Guess I'll have to wait a bit.


Yeah, I’m not expecting it to go on sale in Europe until after the new year. Sometime in January.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 120 Old 10-30-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Thanks Sage, I'll be on the lookout for it
@sage11x - any idea when you will have a review unit?

Last edited by longhornsk57; 10-30-2019 at 08:55 AM.
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #93 of 120 Old 10-30-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,695
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
Thanks Sage, I'll be on the lookout for it
@sage11x - any idea when you will have a review unit?


I really hope to have hands on with one soon but we’ll have to wait and see. My excitement for this one is pretty high. The HT3550 showed me what these DLP XPR projectors are capable of and I think a brighter projector with many of the Ht3550’s features is going to be very popular indeed.
noob00224 likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 120 Old 10-30-2019, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Currently there is a market gap in the 4K short throw x1.3< throw range (excluding UST) bright (er than RGBRGB). Basically 4K short throw projectors with more lumens for living room environments. There is only one Optoma (and it's upgrade) in this space, the Benq would be a welcome addition.
noob00224 is online now  
post #95 of 120 Old 10-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Member
 
scottphillips88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Currently there is a market gap in the 4K short throw x1.3< throw range (excluding UST) bright (er than RGBRGB). Basically 4K short throw projectors with more lumens for living room environments. There is only one Optoma (and it's upgrade) in this space, the Benq would be a welcome addition.
I wonder how the TK850 will compare to the UHD51ALV. Kind of surprised Optoma is behind in this space....they need to update to HLG; maybe CES?
scottphillips88 is offline  
post #96 of 120 Old 10-30-2019, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
I wonder how the TK850 will compare to the UHD51ALV. Kind of surprised Optoma is behind in this space....they need to update to HLG; maybe CES?
There already is an upgrade to the 51ALV, the UHD52ALV. 51ALV does not have HLG support, but 52ALV does.
The 51ALV is about 60% brighter (in Cinema mode) that the RGBRGB UHD51.

The Benq will probably have the 24p playback configuration that other 4K DLP XPR's don't, the iris, and it's superior(?) tone mapping feature. The Optoma might be quieter, but there have been some issues with the actuator on some Optoma units.
Not sure what the other differences, speakers, connectivity, AI assistant?

LE: the Benq will also feature the lens guard that will block the ceiling cone light spillage that a lot of projectors have.

Last edited by noob00224; 10-30-2019 at 10:54 AM.
noob00224 is online now  
post #97 of 120 Old 10-30-2019, 11:01 AM
Member
 
scottphillips88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
There already is an upgrade to the 51ALV, the UHD52ALV. 51ALV does not have HLG support, but 52ALV does.
The 51ALV is about 60% brighter (in Cinema mode) that the RGBRGB UHD51.

The Benq will probably have the 24p playback configuration that other 4K DLP XPR's don't, the iris, and it's superior(?) tone mapping feature. The Optoma might be quieter, but there have been some issues with the actuator on some Optoma units.
Not sure what the other differences, speakers, connectivity, AI assistant?

LE: the Benq will also feature the lens guard that will block the ceiling cone light spillage that a lot of projectors have.
Ahh of course. Didn't realize there was a 52. I had my heart set on a UHD50 the day they came out....but after 40 something pages of reading, the actuator noise was just too common for me to like. This is when I discovered BenQ after previously only owning Optoma.

The waiting game on this model is a bit painful for me.
scottphillips88 is offline  
post #98 of 120 Old 10-30-2019, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Yeah, I’m not expecting it to go on sale in Europe until after the new year. Sometime in January.
You think it could be that soon? I guessed that the rollout would be something like this:

December(ish): tk850 becomes available in US (BenQ site only)
February(ish): tk850 starts to move to retailers/Amazon
April(ish): tk850 sold in Europe (Euro name: "MHC7459A") (BenQ site only)
July(ish): MHC7459A available at Amazons across Europe

NOTE: I do not follow this stuff at ALL so I have no idea how long a projector rollout takes. ;-)

If there's a chance it could be available in Germany (Amazon) in January/February then I'll probably wait.

Last edited by John Cutter; 10-31-2019 at 07:51 AM.
John Cutter is offline  
post #99 of 120 Old 11-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Member
 
ClassicQ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I talk today with BENQ and they say the TK850 will be release in two weeks from now, and they will have an official announcement soon
https://twitter.com/BenQAmerica/stat...08238073270272
ClassicQ8 is offline  
post #100 of 120 Old 11-01-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
Ahh of course. Didn't realize there was a 52. I had my heart set on a UHD50 the day they came out....but after 40 something pages of reading, the actuator noise was just too common for me to like. This is when I discovered BenQ after previously only owning Optoma.

The waiting game on this model is a bit painful for me.
I would probably prefer a TK850 over the UHD50 as well for it's higher brightness but...: Excessive actuator noise is a defect and is probably as likely to occur on any given XPR projector, as on another. My UHD50 is very quiet and if it wasn't I would have immediately returned it. OTOH, the case design of the UHD50 series is inherently quieter than the HT3550/TK850 series case design and almost certainly the fan noise will be higher on the TK850.

I don't think the higher fan noise on the TK850 alone would dissuade me from purchasing it, rather I would look at the other features and then decide.
scottphillips88 likes this.
DunMunro is offline  
post #101 of 120 Old 11-01-2019, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I have a TK800M and it runs quiet, I don't hear anything hum or buzz
scottphillips88 and DunMunro like this.
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #102 of 120 Old 11-03-2019, 03:00 AM
Member
 
Kreationz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Down to two Options for me...

I'm down to likely choosing between two models. The Optoma UHD52ALV or the BenQ TK850.

My situation:
Ambient Light = Light Cannon Need = 3,000+ Lumens
Price =<$2000
3D = Must Have (Tons of 1080P 3D in current Collection)
4K = Must Have
HDR = Prefferred, but unknown how it will factor

That limits me to 5 models:
UHD51ALV
UHD52ALV (Wins vs the UHD51ALV)
TK800
TK800M
TK850

Currently, I'm leaning toward the UHD52ALV (10% Brighter than the BenQ+lens shift+HLG). Although, the TK850 has caught my attention and depending on final specs, might be the better alternative.
Kreationz is offline  
post #103 of 120 Old 11-03-2019, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I wouldn't trust the lumen output till you see both in action.

I'd rate the 850 above all because it likely has the 3550 superior tone napping for HDR.

If HDR tone mapping doesn't mean **** to you then I'd save some money and go TK850.

the 3D comes out nice as well as everything else you've mentioned
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #104 of 120 Old 11-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Member
 
Kreationz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
I wouldn't trust the lumen output till you see both in action.

I'd rate the 850 above all because it likely has the 3550 superior tone napping for HDR.

If HDR tone mapping doesn't mean **** to you then I'd save some money and go TK850.

the 3D comes out nice as well as everything else you've mentioned
Lumen comparison was made according to a popular calc not MFG specs. The TK800M and UHD51ALV are similar, but the UHD52ALV is brighter.

Tone mapping for HDR is a slight consideration, but so is the 52's wifi capability (it does more than just Alexa and also supports Tapcast AFAIK). The 16ms lower lag of the BenQ or ~1 frame faster is also a consideration. The longer throw of the BenQ is also a plus for it (max 1.65 vs 1.59) as that is a consideration for uniformity on an ALR screen.

So far:
UHD52ALV = Connectivity and Brighter(a bonus for ALR and 3D), Lens Shift
TK800M = Better HDR Tone mapping, lower lag, longer max throw(ALR bonus).

While I think the TK800M will provide a slightly improved image the features UHD52ALV give it a slight edge for me. I'm waiting to see the specs on the TK850 in order to see if it improves on the good without getting worse on anything important to me.
Kreationz is offline  
post #105 of 120 Old 11-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Ok but you used a calc and not an actual screen measurement right? so we still don't know the brightness nor the calibrated brightness.

I would wait to se actual Lumen numbers in different modes from an actual measurement taken on a 1:1 screen and before deciding which is "brighter" especially if the lamp isn't running at a higher wattage.
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #106 of 120 Old 11-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Member
 
scottphillips88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreationz View Post
I'm down to likely choosing between two models. The Optoma UHD52ALV or the BenQ TK850.

My situation:
Ambient Light = Light Cannon Need = 3,000+ Lumens
Price =<$2000
3D = Must Have (Tons of 1080P 3D in current Collection)
4K = Must Have
HDR = Prefferred, but unknown how it will factor

That limits me to 5 models:
UHD51ALV
UHD52ALV (Wins vs the UHD51ALV)
TK800
TK800M
TK850

Currently, I'm leaning toward the UHD52ALV (10% Brighter than the BenQ+lens shift+HLG). Although, the TK850 has caught my attention and depending on final specs, might be the better alternative.

Wow - I had to double check that I didn't type this. I am in exactly the same boat.
momofx likes this.
scottphillips88 is offline  
post #107 of 120 Old 11-07-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 413
BenQ has a full section on the TK850:

https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector...ent/tk850.html

They claim 98% of REC709, similar to TK800M.
ryudoadema, sage11x and ClassicQ8 like this.
DunMunro is offline  
post #108 of 120 Old 11-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Talked to BenQ

I sent a message to BenQ on their FB page and here's what I've been told.

It goes on sale Nov 15th on their site, and on other outlets in 2020.

Tariffs are driving up prices right now, which will hopefully go back down now that the two countries seem to have hammered out a deal.

I asked about input lag, since this projector has a gaming mode, and they say the input lag is 80ms. That sounds ridiculous to me given that they have a gaming mode, which is a first I've seen in 4K projectors, and the TK800 is around 40ms. So I don't trust what this specific guy said to me.

I'm really torn, TBH, about which way to go. This seems like the perfect projector that checks all the boxes I want. Up until now it was the HT3550, but this one is brighter and has lower input lag. It is the first one to check all the boxes. At the same time, I'm intrigued by the HD39HDR. It is very bright, fast, and does HDR. It may not be as sharp as a 4K, but I'm debating about the importance of that if a downsampled 4K looks great with HDR. I'm truly torn.
momofx likes this.
Ray Pastora is online now  
post #109 of 120 Old 11-07-2019, 09:35 PM
Member
 
scottphillips88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Pastora View Post

I'm really torn, TBH, about which way to go. This seems like the perfect projector that checks all the boxes I want. Up until now it was the HT3550, but this one is brighter and has lower input lag. It is the first one to check all the boxes. At the same time, I'm intrigued by the HD39HDR. It is very bright, fast, and does HDR. It may not be as sharp as a 4K, but I'm debating about the importance of that if a downsampled 4K looks great with HDR. I'm truly torn.
Thanks for getting more info from BenQ! I guess I better take a look at the HD39. I ruled out 1080p but I guess I didn't realize you can get HDR in 1080 and 4000 lumens would sure be nice. Torn X2
scottphillips88 is offline  
post #110 of 120 Old 11-08-2019, 12:41 AM
Member
 
Kreationz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have the HD27HDR, but my receiver doesn't support the needed data rate for sending a 4kHDR signal to the PJ. I have used a ROKU Ultra to test it and it was nice, but would rather keep it SDR with my full surround system than use HDR and onboard audio. Building my new system in early Dec, so I will likely look at reviews and hands on Tests between now and then.
Kreationz is offline  
post #111 of 120 Old 11-08-2019, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Pastora View Post
I sent a message to BenQ on their FB page and here's what I've been told.

It goes on sale Nov 15th on their site, and on other outlets in 2020.

Tariffs are driving up prices right now, which will hopefully go back down now that the two countries seem to have hammered out a deal.

I asked about input lag, since this projector has a gaming mode, and they say the input lag is 80ms. That sounds ridiculous to me given that they have a gaming mode, which is a first I've seen in 4K projectors, and the TK800 is around 40ms. So I don't trust what this specific guy said to me.

I'm really torn, TBH, about which way to go. This seems like the perfect projector that checks all the boxes I want. Up until now it was the HT3550, but this one is brighter and has lower input lag. It is the first one to check all the boxes. At the same time, I'm intrigued by the HD39HDR. It is very bright, fast, and does HDR. It may not be as sharp as a 4K, but I'm debating about the importance of that if a downsampled 4K looks great with HDR. I'm truly torn.
The HD39HDR can do 120Hz 8.4ms lag in 1080p, the HT3550 can do 120Hz ~30-40ms lag in 1080p. Depends what games you play.
The 39HDR has a RYGCWB color wheel, whereas the HT3550 has a RGBRGB one, which means more accurate colors vs more brightness from the Optoma.
So it comes down to what type of use it will receive.
noob00224 is online now  
post #112 of 120 Old 11-08-2019, 02:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
QUICK SUMMARY: I sent an e-mail to someone at BenQ Europe to ask when the TK850 would be available in Germany. Was told "first quarter of 2020". That's not really new info, and I have no idea if this guy knew what he was talking about, but I figured I would share.

I'll start with a quick note about my projector "history"...

Many of my friends own projectors and they rave about them. Since I've never had a dedicated home theater room I figured a projector made zero sense. To be honest, I didn't get the "hype". It's just a way to get a dimmer, worse, picture right?

My wife and I moved from the US to Berlin Germany two years ago and our bedroom doesn't have space for a television. So I set up a kind of crude shelf that essentially rests on the headboard, and I brought home a super cheat projector (~49 euros) so we could "occasionally" watch TV or movies before bed.

My wife, who is home all day, loved it!

It was a cheap projector, kind of dim, and pretty noisy, so I went out and bought a ~400 euro Acer (720p). It was awesome! We used this projector EVERY DAY and started ignoring our living room television in the evenings. My wife even used it during the day. In fact, she used it so much that in 18 months the bulb started flickering and I think it was ready for a replacement.

Instead of spending ~200 euros on a new bulb, and since we had become projector lovers, I upgraded to a 4K unit. We started with the PX-747 and it was a huge difference! Unfortunately, it crashed every morning when we turned it on, so we had to return it. Then I bought an Optoma 350x and in a dark room the picture was even better than the PX-747!! We were blown away. Unfortunately, it made a very annoying hum sound. (Much louder than the Viewsonic.) An even bigger problem was that it only looked great in a dark room. That's not a huge issue at this time of year, but in the summertime it can get very hot in Berlin and we HAVE to leave the windows open, with no blinds down. This projector would be unwatchable for most of the summer.

Another thing we loved about the new Optoma, which we didn't even think about before, was that it had a different throw compared to our other projectors. We suddenly had a 100 inch screen on our wall, which is absolutely perfect for the space we have.

Yesterday, I returned the Optoma and set the Acer back up. I've been doing tons of research on projectors and I realized that I only wanted/needed a few things:

- 300+ lumens
- a 100 inch screen from 8.5 feet
- bulb life of 10,000 hours or more (in eco mode)
- decent colors/contrast for a "home theater" (no classroom-style projectors)
- reasonably quiet, since the projector is inches from our heads

I was about to order the BenQ TH683 (1080p) (which checks most, but not all, of the boxes above), when I heard about the TK850. Holy smokes. I don't know about the noise part, but this projector sounds absolutely PERFECT for us. The only problem is, I have no idea when it will be released in Germany. For now I've decided to wait, but we are back to the Acer, with the small screen and the flickering bulb which may be going out soon. Wish I had more info about the 850. :-(

A few days ago I sent a message to BenQ Europe to ask about release dates. Was told: "We hope to release it in Germany in the 'first quarter' of 2020." That's kind of vague, plus I have no idea if this guy knows anything about release dates. I have found that salesmen can be really clueless about these sorts of things. (Or maybe they are told not to commit to anything...) Anyway, sorry this was so long. Just wanted to share.
John Cutter is offline  
post #113 of 120 Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cutter View Post
QUICK SUMMARY: I sent an e-mail to someone at BenQ Europe to ask when the TK850 would be available in Germany. Was told "first quarter of 2020". That's not really new info, and I have no idea if this guy knew what he was talking about, but I figured I would share.

I'll start with a quick note about my projector "history"...

Many of my friends own projectors and they rave about them. Since I've never had a dedicated home theater room I figured a projector made zero sense. To be honest, I didn't get the "hype". It's just a way to get a dimmer, worse, picture right?

My wife and I moved from the US to Berlin Germany two years ago and our bedroom doesn't have space for a television. So I set up a kind of crude shelf that essentially rests on the headboard, and I brought home a super cheat projector (~49 euros) so we could "occasionally" watch TV or movies before bed.

My wife, who is home all day, loved it!

It was a cheap projector, kind of dim, and pretty noisy, so I went out and bought a ~400 euro Acer (720p). It was awesome! We used this projector EVERY DAY and started ignoring our living room television in the evenings. My wife even used it during the day. In fact, she used it so much that in 18 months the bulb started flickering and I think it was ready for a replacement.

Instead of spending ~200 euros on a new bulb, and since we had become projector lovers, I upgraded to a 4K unit. We started with the PX-747 and it was a huge difference! Unfortunately, it crashed every morning when we turned it on, so we had to return it. Then I bought an Optoma 350x and in a dark room the picture was even better than the PX-747!! We were blown away. Unfortunately, it made a very annoying hum sound. (Much louder than the Viewsonic.) An even bigger problem was that it only looked great in a dark room. That's not a huge issue at this time of year, but in the summertime it can get very hot in Berlin and we HAVE to leave the windows open, with no blinds down. This projector would be unwatchable for most of the summer.

Another thing we loved about the new Optoma, which we didn't even think about before, was that it had a different throw compared to our other projectors. We suddenly had a 100 inch screen on our wall, which is absolutely perfect for the space we have.

Yesterday, I returned the Optoma and set the Acer back up. I've been doing tons of research on projectors and I realized that I only wanted/needed a few things:

- 300+ lumens
- a 100 inch screen from 8.5 feet
- bulb life of 10,000 hours or more (in eco mode)
- decent colors/contrast for a "home theater" (no classroom-style projectors)
- reasonably quiet, since the projector is inches from our heads

I was about to order the BenQ TH683 (1080p) (which checks most, but not all, of the boxes above), when I heard about the TK850. Holy smokes. I don't know about the noise part, but this projector sounds absolutely PERFECT for us. The only problem is, I have no idea when it will be released in Germany. For now I've decided to wait, but we are back to the Acer, with the small screen and the flickering bulb which may be going out soon. Wish I had more info about the 850. :-(

A few days ago I sent a message to BenQ Europe to ask about release dates. Was told: "We hope to release it in Germany in the 'first quarter' of 2020." That's kind of vague, plus I have no idea if this guy knows anything about release dates. I have found that salesmen can be really clueless about these sorts of things. (Or maybe they are told not to commit to anything...) Anyway, sorry this was so long. Just wanted to share.
The Optoma UHL55 might be something to consider:
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/
or the Viewsonic X10-4k
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/

They show poor contrast values, but in a less than optimal theatre space this might not be very apparent on screen.

Personally, I would consider reordering a PX-747 or UHD350X as it seems unlikely that you'll receive two defective units in a row, but it would be interesting to hear your opinion of the TK850.
DunMunro is offline  
post #114 of 120 Old 11-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Newbie
 
KleenKut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Well for the first time after hitting the "coming soon" button on the TK850, I was offered to enter my e-mail address for notification when ready for purchase. I have been checking almost daily and this was a first. The 15th might be accurate. Thoughts?
scottphillips88 likes this.
KleenKut is offline  
post #115 of 120 Old 11-11-2019, 03:10 AM
Member
 
momofx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
Wow - I had to double check that I didn't type this. I am in exactly the same boat.



LOL I had to double check that I did not type what you said haha . I'm in the same boat too minus the Optoma models which are a little out of my budget though...
momofx is offline  
post #116 of 120 Old 11-12-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,695
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Benq tk850

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenKut View Post
Well for the first time after hitting the "coming soon" button on the TK850, I was offered to enter my e-mail address for notification when ready for purchase. I have been checking almost daily and this was a first. The 15th might be accurate. Thoughts?


Unfortunately, it’s not accurate.

I spoke with BenQ this morning and the Tk850 is not expected to go on sale on BenQ’s website until December. We’re close though!
scottphillips88 and _seb like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 11-12-2019 at 01:16 PM.
sage11x is offline  
post #117 of 120 Old 11-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
getting there.... few more weeks thanks for the update guys
sage11x likes this.
_seb is offline  
post #118 of 120 Old 11-14-2019, 08:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but the TK850 manual, quick start guide, and data sheet are up on the BenQ site:

https://www.benq.com/en-us/support/d...50/manual.html
sage11x and ClassicQ8 like this.
John Cutter is offline  
post #119 of 120 Old 11-14-2019, 09:16 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was really hoping for this projector during November as well, since the Benq facebook page posted it would be released November 15th. After talking to someone today about why there has been no announcement with a imminent release tomorrow they stated that as of now December 23rd was their target release date.
Adam Fritz is offline  
post #120 of 120 Old 11-14-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,695
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fritz View Post
I was really hoping for this projector during November as well, since the Benq facebook page posted it would be released November 15th. After talking to someone today about why there has been no announcement with a imminent release tomorrow they stated that as of now December 23rd was their target release date.


Yeah, someone jumped the gun. This model just entered production this month.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off