Benq tk850 (No Price Talk) - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 409Likes

post #631 of 652 Old 03-24-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Get a Stick that plugs directly into the back of the projector? Personally, I never concern myself about smart features as they’ll be outdated in a couple of years even though I’m still using the display. Heck, sometimes they’re outdated as soon as you buy the thing (Disney Plus has made a number of my ‘smart’ displays obsolete). But that’s me. You have to get what makes the most sense to you.

My issue with the Lg is it’s contrast. DLP is certainly not known for being high contrast but the LED LG’s (with the exception of their one laser equipped model) all have an especially poor reputation for contrast/blacks beyond what 4K DLP already sort of gets away with. Now, this might not be of great concern depending on your usage case. But considering it’s price— I’d rather have a higher performing lamp model. But, again, that’s ME. The LG should be brighter than the HT3550 but won’t be as bright as the TK850 (at least not in normal lamp). The one thing that entices about the Lg is it’s dynamic tone mapping. But BenQ is already really good there so it’s hard to say what if any visible difference there would be especially considering the Lg is even less HDR capable.
The HT3550 should be brighter than the LG, even by going by the lowest measurements (of the HT3550).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 652 Old 03-24-2020, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The HT3550 should be brighter than the LG, even by going by the lowest measurements (of the HT3550).

You may be right...

I’m looking at Projectorcentral and they’re pretty comparable actually... At least when the HT3550 is in it’s wide color mode which is known to dramatically cut it’s lumen output. The LG is dimmer in it’s most aggressive power saving mode but the mid and bright setting are pretty close. The HT3550 can get significantly brighter in it’s ‘bright’ mode but that’s not really usable for serious viewing.

Yeah. That’s even more reason not to go with the Lg. I had thought it was at least brighter than the HT3550 but it’s not. That level of lumen output is really intended for dark room duty and in a dark room you’re really going to want the iris of the BenQ. IMO of course. With the Lg you’re really paying a premium for the solid state lamp source. Which is fine but in this price range I’m trying to squeeze as much performance as I can.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #633 of 652 Old 03-24-2020, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 530
LGHU70LAB:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

HT3550:

Eberle states that the LG's dynamic lamp dimming won't engage with static tests but does work with actual content, so that has to be born in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 652 Old 03-24-2020, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Benq tk850 (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
LGHU70LAB:

HT3550:

Eberle states that the LG's dynamic lamp dimming won't engage with static tests but does work with actual content, so that has to be born in mind.

Still, he’s measuring a .24 nit black. Compared to the Ht3550’s .05 nit black. And the Ht3550’s black, while excellent for DLP, isn’t exactly world beating at this price point. The Epson 4010 can manage .01 with it’s iris engaged. Idk, depends on use case. While Chris does mention that contrast seemed better in action that what he was able to measure— he still mentioned contrast as being a weak point of that particular projector. Contrast was something he felt the HT3550 did really well.

I’m not ready to give up on lamp yet. Especially at this price point. I think you give up too much. For me, solid state requires a bump in price up to the UHZ65 or the LG HU80KA (just remembered). Especially considering the long lamp intervals of current models. But again: IMO.
noob00224 and DunMunro like this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #635 of 652 Old 03-25-2020, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a question for TK850 owners...

Our unit was delivered by Amazon yesterday. (Which was good timing because the th683 we bought in November suddenly stopped working well the day before!) The default settings on the 850 were pretty bad so I played around with the various options and it felt kind of... glitchy.

For example, I turned down Brilliant Color and made a bunch of other adjustments. Had things looking pretty nice. Then I was curious about the color modes, so I changed from "Normal" to "Warm". Didn't like that look so I changed back to "Normal". But the picture suddenly looked really grainy. This happened a few times. I'd have the picture looking nice, I'd change a setting and then change it right back to what it was, but the picture wasn't the same. Once when that happened I changed Brilliant Color back to 0 and instantly the grain went away. Then I bumped it back up to 2, where I had it before, and everything looked fine again.

Another example. I was messing with one of the settings and suddenly half the screen (vertically) looked very bright and "unfiltered"? The other half looked darker, like there was a filter that made all the colors and everything smoother. It stayed that way until I changed a few more settings and suddenly everything was fine again. (See picture. That's not my image but that's how it looked.)

Once I get some settings that I like everything works fine. It's just while making adjustments that I'm getting some strange issues.

Has anyone else experienced that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2443171616_2bb406ae76.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	2701494  
post #636 of 652 Old 03-25-2020, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cutter View Post

Our unit was delivered by Amazon yesterday. (Which was good timing because the th683 we bought in November suddenly stopped working well the day before!) The default settings on the 850 were pretty bad so I played around with the various options and it felt kind of... glitchy.

For example, I turned down Brilliant Color and made a bunch of other adjustments. Had things looking pretty nice. Then I was curious about the color modes, so I changed from "Normal" to "Warm". Didn't like that look so I changed back to "Normal". But the picture suddenly looked really grainy. This happened a few times. I'd have the picture looking nice, I'd change a setting and then change it right back to what it was, but the picture wasn't the same. Once when that happened I changed Brilliant Color back to 0 and instantly the grain went away. Then I bumped it back up to 2, where I had it before, and everything looked fine again.

Another example. I was messing with one of the settings and suddenly half the screen (vertically) looked very bright and "unfiltered"? The other half looked darker, like there was a filter that made all the colors and everything smoother. It stayed that way until I changed a few more settings and suddenly everything was fine again. (See picture. That's not my image but that's how it looked.)

Once I get some settings that I like everything works fine. It's just while making adjustments that I'm getting some strange issues.

There was another user here that experienced the split screen issue. I’m not sure what response I’ll get in the middle of the pandemic but I’ll send this up to BenQ. Do me a favor and PM me your email address and/or phone number.

post #637 of 652 Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cutter View Post

There was another user here that experienced the split screen issue. I’️m not sure what response I’️ll get in the middle of the pandemic but I’️ll send this up to BenQ. Do me a favor and PM me your email address and/or phone number.
I had the split screen issue with my first TK850 and sent my unit back to Amazon. Just got another one from another vendor to make sure got another batch.

I just installed the new one and the problem seems to be gone for now. My first one also had similar issues you mentioned so I am assuming yours is also defective. I have a colorimeter and noticed the problem while calibrating the unit. I can tell you that I could not calibrated the first one well but the second one could be better calibrated in both HD and UHD. Interesting that the first one was brighter. Also interesting that both were made on December 2019 and my second one that works better is an earlier serial number than the second.
post #638 of 652 Old 03-25-2020, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab373 View Post
I am having a split screen problem with my TK850. Half of the screen becomes dimmer than the other half. It happens when I am calibrating the projector more often than when I am watching a movie. Also, when I change the brilliant color setting the whole screen also dims. To solve these two problems I have to go to the lamp settings and select a lamp mode (any mode will do), and it goes back to normal screen full brightness.

Any one else having these problems? I am still within my 30 days so planning on returning.

I saw people talked about this in the HT3550 thread last year after it’s launched.
1. Did it happen too when you watching movies? Or only when you are adjusting the color or brightness settings?
2. What’s your source? Do you have a AVR or you have your player connected to TK850 directly?
3. What’s the length of your HDMI cable? Did you try different cables to make difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sage11x and maglo125 like this.
post #639 of 652 Old 03-26-2020, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Chiafu Hsieh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab373 View Post
I am having a split screen problem with my TK850. Half of the screen becomes dimmer than the other half. It happens when I am calibrating the projector more often than when I am watching a movie. Also, when I change the brilliant color setting the whole screen also dims. To solve these two problems I have to go to the lamp settings and select a lamp mode (any mode will do), and it goes back to normal screen full brightness.

Any one else having these problems? I am still within my 30 days so planning on returning.

I saw people talked about this in the HT3550 thread last year after it’️s launched.
1. Did it happen too when you watching movies? Or only when you are adjusting the color or brightness settings?
2. What’️s your source? Do you have a AVR or you have your player connected to TK850 directly?
3. What’️s the length of your HDMI cable? Did you try different cables to make difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. That unit was defective. I returned and got a new one that is working as expected.
maglo125 likes this.
post #640 of 652 Old 03-31-2020, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Going back to my comparison between the Benq tk850 and the LG HU70LA:

My biggest question was more regarding the perceived brightness and contrast of the LG because I have heard that LED projectors can seem twice as good as their numerical measurement due to efficiency of providing pure RGB colors. This is why I was specifically looking for someone who has seen both instead of making assumptions from the measured results. Ron Sabin from Projector Central weighed in by saying:
"I think the reviews--both by the same reviewer--speak for themselves, Robert, to the point that any direct comparison would be a silly use of resources. If you read them, you'll see that the LG is not really a serious home theater projector, and in using an LED light engine gains some degree of additional portability and the elimination of lamp replacements in place of the TK850's higher brightness, much better contrast, and very good HDR performance in a dark room. If you need an LED projector you can bang around and not worry about damaging a lamp, or are wow'd by the LG's built in smart TV platform, perhaps it's a consideration. Otherwise, if you're serious about image quality, the TK850 would be the choice in my view."
I was really hoping to justify the LG due to size, fan noise, smart apps, TV tuner, and LED lamp). I knew the picture wouldn't be quite as good, but I had hoped it would be close. His statement confirms the measurements to some degree and the expectations voiced by Sage and Noob, so I pulled the trigger on the tk850 and I should have it today.
sage11x likes this.
post #641 of 652 Old 03-31-2020, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcollns View Post
Going back to my comparison between the Benq tk850 and the LG HU70LA:

My biggest question was more regarding the perceived brightness and contrast of the LG because I have heard that LED projectors can seem twice as good as their numerical measurement due to efficiency of providing pure RGB colors. This is why I was specifically looking for someone who has seen both instead of making assumptions from the measured results. Ron Sabin from Projector Central weighed in by saying:
"I think the reviews--both by the same reviewer--speak for themselves, Robert, to the point that any direct comparison would be a silly use of resources. If you read them, you'll see that the LG is not really a serious home theater projector, and in using an LED light engine gains some degree of additional portability and the elimination of lamp replacements in place of the TK850's higher brightness, much better contrast, and very good HDR performance in a dark room. If you need an LED projector you can bang around and not worry about damaging a lamp, or are wow'd by the LG's built in smart TV platform, perhaps it's a consideration. Otherwise, if you're serious about image quality, the TK850 would be the choice in my view."
I was really hoping to justify the LG due to size, fan noise, smart apps, TV tuner, and LED lamp). I knew the picture wouldn't be quite as good, but I had hoped it would be close. His statement confirms the measurements to some degree and the expectations voiced by Sage and Noob, so I pulled the trigger on the tk850 and I should have it today.

Let us know what you think when you get it! I haven’t been able to use mine for awhile and won’t be able to for the next few weeks while I attempt to quarantine myself in my own home.

post #642 of 652 Old 03-31-2020, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 176
God I feel like I'm just 3D cursed.

I got this projector and watched some stuff over the weekend and 3D has a sharpness issue. I adjusted every setting but it just looks blurry even compared with the Optoma UHD52ALV.

The Optoma has better 3D sharpness but the motion is a bit jarring. The Benq has better motion but the picture is not sharp.

All I've ever wanted is a DLP 4K that does 3D as well as the 1080p models but it looks like I may never get that.

At this point I'm probably going to go back to the Optoma until next year's models but I'm starting to think I should just buy a 1080P UST for 3D and a regular throw 4K for everything else.

It's so damn aggravating sometimes I think maybe I'm just being stupid but I hook up the old HD142x and the 3D picture is so much better it's crazy.

Anyways the 4K picture is good and the HDR is nice, so I guess that's good ..

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk
post #643 of 652 Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
God I feel like I'm just 3D cursed.

I got this projector and watched some stuff over the weekend and 3D has a sharpness issue. I adjusted every setting but it just looks blurry even compared with the Optoma UHD52ALV.

The Optoma has better 3D sharpness but the motion is a bit jarring. The Benq has better motion but the picture is not sharp.

All I've ever wanted is a DLP 4K that does 3D as well as the 1080p models but it looks like I may never get that.

At this point I'm probably going to go back to the Optoma until next year's models but I'm starting to think I should just buy a 1080P UST for 3D and a regular throw 4K for everything else.

It's so damn aggravating sometimes I think maybe I'm just being stupid but I hook up the old HD142x and the 3D picture is so much better it's crazy.

Anyways the 4K picture is good and the HDR is nice, so I guess that's good ..

Hm.. again, I’m not extremely picky when it comes to 3D but I thought the TK850’s 3D image was fantastic. To my memory it was as least as good as my previous reference for 3D— ironically the really inexpensive BenQ MH530 I reviewed a couple years back. But I don’t have that model anymore to compare.

I would say maybe the smaller mirrors of the 4K model are the culprit but the Optoma uses the same chip. I have noticed that when comparing 1080p modes (when you put the benQ in silent mode) that the image isn’t *quite as pretty as my HT2050A (which I keep connected for games). The image seems a bit more granular— like the pixel gap is wider on the 4K models. Which makes sense as these were designed to be used with pixel shifting on pretty much all the time. Of course, with pixel shifting on I think 1080p content looks significantly better on the 4K projector thanks to the extra resolution and complete lack of pixel gap. So maybe that does have something to do with it..
noob00224 likes this.

post #644 of 652 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Chris Eberle's review should be out shortly:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/news/pro...ector-preview/

Regarding 3D:

" The TK850 also includes 3D and its high brightness makes that a winning proposition. 3D is best enjoyed on a bright display and this is one of the best 3D projectors I’ve seen in a while."
sage11x likes this.
post #645 of 652 Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Chris Eberle's review should be out shortly:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/news/pro...ector-preview/

Regarding 3D:

" The TK850 also includes 3D and its high brightness makes that a winning proposition. 3D is best enjoyed on a bright display and this is one of the best 3D projectors I’ve seen in a while."

Always look forward to his reviews.
DunMunro likes this.

post #646 of 652 Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Alright so it might be my unit.

It won't detect HDR now from my PS4 Pro or my 4K player at all. And at the moment my PS4 says it's not a 2160P device and is outputting 1080p

Any ideas?

post #647 of 652 Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Alright so it might be my unit.

It won't detect HDR now from my PS4 Pro or my 4K player at all. And at the moment my PS4 says it's not a 2160P device and is outputting 1080p

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, every time I had that issue with previous 4K projectors it was my HDMI cable. My solution was to move my equipment to the back of the room directly under the projector to run a shorter Premium certified HDMI. BTW, HDMI is a terrible cable/connector. Just the worst. Was hoping with 8K they would have gone to something new but no such luck.

post #648 of 652 Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

It's not the cable, it works fine with the UHD52ALV and I'm running a 5' cable.

On HDMI 1 it won't even display 2160P, on HDMI 2 it will but no HDR.

post #649 of 652 Old Today, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not the cable, it works fine with the UHD52ALV and I'm running a 5' cable.

On HDMI 1 it won't even display 2160P, on HDMI 2 it will but no HDR.

That is very strange. Did you try power cycling your source? Could be a handshake issue.

post #650 of 652 Old Today, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Let us know what you think when you get it! I haven’t been able to use mine for awhile and won’t be able to for the next few weeks while I attempt to quarantine myself in my own home.
I apologize for anyone who gets stuck reading this in two threads, but I just realized that this seems to be the more active thread.

I just got this yesterday, and have tested it on multiple sources.

I love the brightness and the resolution on computer sources, the Smithsonian's gigapixel tour is absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately, I have encountered tons of issues. Here is a list:
- I have a magenta or green outline on any high contrast items, it seems to be a little more than a pixel wide (looking at Sage's screen shots it looks like he has a thinner blue outline that is much less obnoxious, but still present). This is even present on Benq's setup pages such as keystone correction.
- Major pixelation issues on video sources. Sometimes it is the entire screen, at other times I can get a clear image, but random items on screen will be pixelated next to stuff that is crystal clear. I thought maybe my internet was having trouble with the high-def, so I throttled back to 720p, and it was still heavily present. Then I switched to my old projector, and the image looked perfect again. I keep turning down the projector's many video processing settings, and I can improve this, but I can't get rid of it.
- Colors gradients are very blocky, again, these colors were are much smoother when I pause and swtich the cable to an older projector.
- I can't focus the right and left sides of the screen at the same time (and yes I made sure I am dead center and shooting at 90 degrees to the wall) This isn't as noticeable with images, but very noticeable with computer text.
- Changing certain settings results in a black screen for 10 seconds.
- Changing certain settings results in the setting being applied slowly over four different areas of the screen one by one.
- All menus are slow, even key-stoning is painfully slow.

I'm wondering if anyone else is dealing with these issues, or if I got a bad machine, or need to perform a firmware upgrade, or something altogether. Many of the reviews I read said that this was a very refined machine, but not even close here. I'll follow up with a second post with pictures.
post #651 of 652 Old Today, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have encountered tons of issues. Here is a list:
- I have a magenta or green outline on any high contrast items, it seems to be a little more than a pixel wide (looking at Sage's screen shots it looks like he has a thinner blue outline that is much less obnoxious, but still present). This is even present on Benq's setup pages such as keystone correction.
- Major pixelation issues on video sources. Sometimes it is the entire screen, resetting sometimes helped a little, at other times I can get a clear image, but random items on screen (look at red dot) will be pixelated next to stuff that is crystal clear. I thought maybe my internet was having trouble with the high-def, so I throttled back to 720p, and it was still heavily present. Then I switched to my old projector, and the image looked perfect. I keep turning down or off the projector's many video processing settings, and I can improve this, but I can't get rid of it.
- Jumpy video - this was another item I thought could be related to streaming in 4K, but I dumbed it down to 720 and it continued on this projector, but not on an older model.
- Colors gradients are very blocky, again, these colors were are much smoother when I pause and swtich the cable to an older projector.
- I can't focus the right and left sides of the screen at the same time (and yes I made sure I am dead center and shooting at 90 degrees to the wall) This isn't as noticeable with images, but very noticeable with computer text.
- Changing certain settings results in a black screen for 10 seconds.
- Changing certain settings results in the setting being applied slowly over four different areas of the screen one by one.
- All menus are slow, even key-stoning is painfully slow.
Here are some photos of these issues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Purple Haze.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	922.2 KB
ID:	2704772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pixelization on small parts.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	866.1 KB
ID:	2704774   Click image for larger version

Name:	No pixelization on same scene 720p projector.jpg
Size:	764.1 KB
ID:	2704776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pixelization on entire image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	916.2 KB
ID:	2704778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gradient tk850.jpg
Size:	700.4 KB
ID:	2704780  

Name:	Gradient 720p Projector.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	870.1 KB
ID:	2704782  
post #652 of 652 Old Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here are some photos of these issues.
What projector did you have before?

Can you set your video source output to YUV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page