The best serious quality travel projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The best serious quality travel projector

I use projectors for my work because I don't see well and like to work on a 120" screen.

I'd like to be able to do that when I travel.

Budget is not a concern, though I expect answers under $3k for this thread, and I could even go a bit beyond that.

Unfortunately I don't think this ideal projector exists for me, Here's what I want
• Resolution: 1080p (720p would be compromising, 4k would be ideal)
• Throw: Short Throw because its more flexible (normal throw compromising, UST would be ideal)
• Weight: Under 5lbs ideal, Under 10 lbs compromising
• Volume: Under 500 cu-in, Under 200 cu-in ideal, Under 1000 cu-in compromising
• Color Wheel: RGBRGB quality. No rainbows. Not willing to compromise.
• Lumens: At least 2,000 lumens, less than that is compromising.

So far the best match I've found is the Casio XJ-A147 (or A252, I honestly don't know the difference they have several Casio XJ-A... models and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the difference and their color wheels)

But Casio XJ-A compromises on resolution, throw, and, I'm not sure its color wheel.

Xiamoi Mi 4K would be pretty ideal if it wasn't so heavy (over 15lbs) and if it was 25% smaller in volume. The UST would really make it easy to set up in any room I'd be staying at, all I'd need is a non-decorated wall.

Optoma ML1050ST+ came out last year but is compromising on lumens (only 1K), resolution 720p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1595 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
There isn't much out there which really hits your target. Keeping weight under 10 pounds, which I think is a critical factor for travel, and going with ultra short throw widescreen projectors, this is all that I get as results...
https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...=pop&sz=15#top

If you get rid of the short throw factor, and lower the weight down, and keep things in the LCD world (no rainbows, typically brighter)...
https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...=pop&sz=15#top

The Epson models that are 'flat' really are designed around portability, and they do keep throw short at about 1.04 at the closest, which is very good for these types of projectors.

They have the brightness, weight, resolution, and size. They aren't as close as you want, but as you said... nothing is that is portable and bright.

The LG laser models are another option, but aren't rated as bright and are a fair bit bulkier, which isn't ideal for travel.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-HF85JA.htm

Ultra short throw projection is a headache. It requires a mirror bounce or a very spherical lens system. This tends to be very difficult to work with while getting a very sharp on-screen image and you must have a very flat surface in use for proper results. So, while we are seeing more options available, and a influx of Chinese 4K models appearing, it's just not a part of the portable market because MANY on-the-go presenters don't have any control of their screen. UST is not 'easy' to place when an actual screen is in use. It's one of the most difficult technologies to properly align with a screen exactly. And, the screen must be perfectly flat, which is often not something a portable presenter can control.

I wouldn't expect this to be a hot market anytime soon.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Maybe one of these:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/aax...jector-review/

but I don't know if the throw ratio would work for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-06-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 3733 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
I agree with @AV_Integrated that the brightest projectors in the smallest packages for travel presentations are 3LCD UHP lamp models primarily from Epson. 3LCD is more light efficient than DLP and so can produce brighter colors from the same wattage UHP lamp. 3LCD also has the advantage of not producing DLP rainbows that bother a small number of people. The more presentations you make to more people the more likely that some will be bothered by DLP rainbows. So while all projectors have some compromises, from the listed goals I'd be looking at Epson 3LCD models.

A key issue is how large an image (diagonal in inches) you want to throw and how far the projector can be back from the image. Ultra short throw is tempting because it can produce the biggest image from the shortest distance. But dollar for dollar you will get a better overall image from a longer throw model.

The top model in Epson's portable projector lineup is the PowerLite 1795F. It's designed for travel, weighs only 4 lb. and is as compact as a laptop computer (2.10" x 11.50" x 8.40"). It's native 1080p and produces an honest 3,200 lumens with equal white and color brightness. It includes wireless connectivity via Miracast so it can mirror content from a smartphone or streaming device. It also supports Chromecast, Roku and MHL-enabled devices. While none of Epson's portable series is a true short throw, the 1795F can throw a 120" diagonal image from as close as 9', for example, which would be considered a medium throw.

Unless you want to skew your selection to some of your other preferences the Epson PowerLite 1795F seems to be the projector that's best optimized for business travel presentations.

epson.com/For-Work/Projectors/Portable/PowerLite-1795F-Wireless-Full-HD-1080p-3LCD-Projector/p/V11H796020

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you will only be using this projector for yourself and not sharing work with others then a 3LCD model optimized for business presentations may be at less of an advantage over DLP if DLP works for you.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 09-06-2019 at 09:04 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I agree with @AV_Integrated that the brightest projectors in the smallest packages for travel presentations are 3LCD UHP lamp models primarily from Epson. 3LCD is more light efficient than DLP and so can produce brighter colors from the same wattage UHP lamp. 3LCD also has the advantage of not producing DLP rainbows that bother a small number of people. The more presentations you make to more people the more likely that some will be bothered by DLP rainbows. So while all projectors have some compromises, from the listed goals I'd be looking at Epson 3LCD models.

A key issue is how large an image (diagonal in inches) you want to throw and how far the projector can be back from the image. Ultra short throw is tempting because it can produce the biggest image from the shortest distance. But dollar for dollar you will get a better overall image from a longer throw model.

The top model in Epson's portable projector lineup is the PowerLite 1795F. It's designed for travel, weighs only 4 lb. and is as compact as a laptop computer (2.10" x 11.50" x 8.40"). It's native 1080p and produces an honest 3,200 lumens with equal white and color brightness. It includes wireless connectivity via Miracast so it can mirror content from a smartphone or streaming device. It also supports Chromecast, Roku and MHL-enabled devices. While none of Epson's portable series is a true short throw, the 1795F can throw a 120" diagonal image from as close as 9', for example, which would be considered a medium throw.

Unless you want to skew your selection to some of your other preferences the Epson PowerLite 1795F seems to be the projector that's best optimized for business travel presentations.

epson.com/For-Work/Projectors/Portable/PowerLite-1795F-Wireless-Full-HD-1080p-3LCD-Projector/p/V11H796020

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you will only be using this projector for yourself and not sharing work with others then a 3LCD model optimized for business presentations may be at less of an advantage over DLP if DLP works for you.
Thanks looks great. Throw is only issue with that - I'd like 120" from more like 7' ideally.. Anything like the 1795F with 25-50% shorter throw?

Aaxa 4k1 looks interesting but I can't find its throw
post #6 of 11 Old 09-11-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@tylerweitzman , a 120" image from a 7' throw is a tough combo with only a few options available. For example from 7' the AAXA 4K1 you asked about can only throw an 80" image. But there are four options that could potentially work for you, each with a different set of pros and cons:

BenQ HT2150ST (most often recommended 1080p short throw model)
BenQ TH671ST (smaller and lighter than HT2150ST, it can produce brighter whites in brightest mode but less bright colors)
Asus F1 (new 1080p LED model)
ViewSonic X10-4K (new 4K LED model)

You can search the web and find a ton of data on the BenQ HT2150ST and TH671ST, which have both received consistently excellent reviews. They have a slightly different balance of pros and cons that you can get familiar with by reading the many reviews available on the web. Both are traditional UHP lamp projectors.

Both of the LED models are brand new so there isn't much data available on their performance. The Asus F1 is the smallest and lightest of the bunch but is also the dimmest at just 1,200 lumens. The ViewSonic X10-4K is rated at 2,400 lumens, which is really good for an LED model. But it's also the biggest and heaviest of the group at just under 10 lb. In general all 4K models are bigger and heavier than comparable 1080p models.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-11-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@tylerweitzman , not sure what's going on here as after making the above response to you I just came across the following that you posted this morning in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerweitzman View Post
I ended up going with ht2150st and it's working great. I like it much better than my px706st. HT2150st generally is just a better version of W1080ST *except* that it is slightly bigger, which is the only thing that could be better.

TH671ST I don't have so can't comment personally
It would have helped if you had included that information in this thread.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-11-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@tylerweitzman , not sure what's going on here as after making the above response to you I just came across the following that you posted this morning in another thread:

It would have helped if you had included that information in this thread.
Hey Dave, really appreciate your help here. To be clear, I bought the HTS2150ST a while ago (well before I decided I need a travel projector). I created this thread asking for suggestion looking for something smaller than the HTS2150ST.. It's too big for my travel purpose, as I'm looking for something more like the Epson compact series you recommended to add to my projector collection.

I just looked into the Asus F1, that seems like the best find so far due to its combined size and short throw, except for the lumens at 1,200 as you pointed out, might be a problem: I've never before owned a projector under 2,000 lumens so I'm not exactly sure what to expect out of something like that. I do like to work with light ambient lighting, meanwhile the short throw means that the projector does get to be closer which makes for a brighter image I believe

If I am okay with 100" from 7' (instead of 120") ratio is there's something >= 2k lumens at that travel size?
post #9 of 11 Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, I get it. Your HT2150ST is bigger than you want to carry. It's 4.8" x 14.9" x 10.9" and weighs 7.9 lb. Is the BenQ TH671ST at 4.7" x 11.6" x 8.8" and 1.9 lb lighter at 6 lb still too big and heavy? It would perform similarly to your HT2150ST but can go brighter than the HT2150ST at the expense of some loss of color. Best of all it can meet your goal of 120" from 7'.

Unfortunately, 100" from 7' is no man's land between short throw and long throw models. Nothing but a few really expensive specialty models can do that. On the other hand if you stretch that 6" to 7.5' the Epson PowerLite 1795F I mentioned in a previous post can throw a 100" image. It's less than half the size volume of the TH671ST at just 2.1" x 11.5" x 8.4", which is right at your ideal 200 cu-in. It also weighs just 4 lb, is optimized for travel and produces an honest 3,200 white and color lumens.

Question for you: If you want the smallest possible projector for travel you're obviously not going to be carrying a 120" screen with you. Are you planning to project on a wall in hotel rooms or what? Not all rooms have walls suitable for projecting such a large image due to obstructions. Some walls are dark colored and would require extra lumens to properly illuminate. In that case you would benefit most by going to the smaller 100" image and the brightest projector model like the Epson PowerLite 1795F. The smaller the image the brighter it is because you're spreading the same amount of projector lumens over a smaller area.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-11-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Basically you want something like LG HF65LA or HF85LA but with more lumens or basically compact UST but you are too early for this. Perhaps revisit this in a year when more options come up, right now a lot of bigger options are coming out.
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Basically you want something like LG HF65LA or HF85LA but with more lumens or basically compact UST but you are too early for this. Perhaps revisit this in a year when more options come up, right now a lot of bigger options are coming out.
Yes exactly. And thank you Dave that makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page