Please recommend a projector based on the following criteria - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2019, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please recommend a projector based on the following criteria

Hello,
Please recommend a projector based on the following criteria

-The most important criteria is that the projector must have a low FL rating. FL rating measures the total light that is being reflected back toward the audience. The projector will be used a lot of hours per day with Windows 10 and the goal is to reduce the amount of eyestrain and computer vision syndrome. The less bright the better.

-1080p resolution is required.

-The projector must also be affordable and budget friendly. Preferably under 1000 usd.

Any recommendations?

Personally I have tested the Epson 5030Ub. This projector has a very low FL rating according to my experience, because I can stare at the projection 8 or more hours a day and feel very little discomfort. The price of the Epson 5030 UB was approximately 2000 usd in 2016.

This projector has a low brightness setting out-of-the-box, and furthermore it is easy to lower the brightness to -20 in the configuration menu to make it even less bright which in this situation is better.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 528
You most likely want to stick to LCD projectors. The Epson 2150 might be a good choice as it has $50 replacement lamps and should be no brighter then the 5030 but with lower contrast. Assuming placement isn't an issue as the 2150 has a lot less placement flexibility compared to the 5030. A refurbished 5030 is around your price range.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 7 Old 09-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 37
How many inches is the screen? Ambient light? Screen gain?

If you need a sort of pj monitor I would prefer a dlp led:

Dlp has clear pixels/text lines and icons borders, without color bleeding that lcds have.

It is less bright and you can add a nd filter if needed (depending on how many inches is the screen)

It is smaller and can be placed closer

A led dlp has no color wheel or rainbow effect.

No lamp wear for heavy duty and no lamp replacement cost, and hopefully longer projector life due to less inner heat stress.

Low power consumption and cost.

I don't know much about current dlp led models, but there are many in your budget more or less, with test reviews to choose the right model.

The Epsons you cited have high color lumens and fl/nits, less than office models but I find curious that you consider them good for your needs, unless you have a giant screen to lower their fl or a bright environment, in the last case I would recommend a low gain gray screen/wall to preserve some black and contrast.

Anyway a good way to avoid eyestrain is to reduce contrast, more than brightness.

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, 3D RF glasses: Epson, Samsung, Xpand.
FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max, Moeyes 3D Tablet F892B
YT 3D Video Library

Last edited by Car67; 09-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-08-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
I’ll throw my 2 cents in.

As it sounds like it is going to be some sort of giant office monitor and likely the office setting wont be a blacked out bat cave. Given the high hours I would pick something with long lamp life or low cost lamp replacements as mentioned above. I would look for a bright projector and then attenuate the light down to what you want with a dark neutral gray DIY painted screen surface. Something with a low gain. That will help with ambient light and IMO the dark gray surface will possible help with eyestrain.

Bud
post #5 of 7 Old 09-08-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Single chip DLP regardless of the lamp tech still must flash each color one at a time on the screen so RBE is possible. This tech causes eye strain in some people more often then the other techs. You have seen LCD but I agree DLP is a sharper tech for text. As mentioned above if a projector is too bright after calibration it can be easily fixed with either a ND filter or a darker screen.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #6 of 7 Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
As mentioned above if a projector is too bright after calibration it can be easily fixed with either a ND filter or a darker screen.
I would give the advantage to the ND screen over the ND filter in terms of PQ unless you are using the ND filter say as a way you can remove it when lamp dimming hits a certain point or say you wanted to remove it to watch 3D movies.

Bud
post #7 of 7 Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Quoted: 3725 Post(s)
Liked: 2950
First of all, projected images are generally easier on the eyes than emissive screens like computer monitors and less likely to cause eyestrain. Beyond that almost all projectors can have brightness lowered from the configuration menu. In addition almost all projectors have low and high lamp settings and also have different modes that are brighter or dimmer. Bottom line is that brightness can be substantially reduced on almost every projector. Obviously you don't want to go too dim or whatever is on the screen will be too dim to see.

Two critical missing pieces of data are screen size and amount of ambient light in the room. The bigger the screen the dimmer the image because you are spreading the same amount of projector lumens over a larger area, so screen size affects how many lumens you need from the projector. And the more ambient light in the room the more lumens the projector will need to produce to overcome image washout. For example, if there's a fair amount of ambient light in the room the suggestion from @bud16415 to have a dark grey screen with a bright projector makes a lot of sense.

Knowing screen size and lighting conditions will help narrow down choices. Also important to know is how many feet from the screen you prefer to have the projector. Different projector models have different throw ranges so they can't all produce the same size image from the same distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page