Any hope for Viewsonic LS700-4k? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By nezz621
  • 1 Post By clearlynotstefan
  • 4 Post By nezz621

post #1 of 14 Old 09-08-2019, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Any hope for Viewsonic LS700-4k?

Hey guys,

I've been eagerly awaiting the LS700-4k as it seemed like the only upcoming answer to the HT3550, which didn't impress. The only recent blurb I've been able to find is that it was at infocomm 2019...do we know anything about it's release? Is anyone expecting it to be a winner around here, or am I just hoping for something that isn't real.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Input lag 100ms, it lost before it started

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 09-09-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was super excited about it when it was announced. Since that it's just been delay after delay. My hype just died.

At this point I would not be surprised if it is cancelled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
Any hope for Viewsonic LS700-4k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post
Input lag 100ms, it lost before it started

I thought this was the one that was supposedly going to be super low lag because of it’s laser light engine?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-09-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Someone emailed them about the projector and they said that the spec that was printed was a typo and they were fixing that the actual input lag was 100 millisecond

post #6 of 14 Old 12-20-2019, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
68ms slower than my TN

I don't have a high enough post count to link to the other thread, so I'll paste my message from there to here:

tldr: approx 68ms slower than a Viewsonic VX2433wm (TN) at 1080p60 (i.e. 4 frames)

I ran the test two ways and got the same results. I'll describe the more obviously fair way. My desktop PC is hooked up to my Onkyo receiver. There are two HDMI outputs from the receiver. One is hooked up to the LS700-4K and the other to my Viewsonic VX2433wm (TN). I displayed a webpage with a bit of javascript to constantly display the number of milliseconds since the page loaded in cells of a table. The difference in timestamps between adjacent cells was 3-4 milliseconds, so depending on the exposure timing, you could see about 5 cells transitioning simultaneously. The crisp pictures consistently showed a 68ms difference between LS700-4K and the VX2433wm. At 60fps, that's 4 frames. In pictures that included two frames (my exposures were 1/80 of a second), it looked like the difference in lag might be as little as 48ms.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-09-2020, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbonadio View Post
I was super excited about it when it was announced. Since that it's just been delay after delay. My hype just died.

LS700-4k is on it way!

I received a notice from projector people that my LS700-4K has shipped. Expected to arrive Tuesday 1/14/20. I'm super excited and honestly did not believe it would ship anytime soon. I was honestly thinking of purchasing an UST projector because this was delayed so long and there are very few 4k short throw projectors that will work for my room.

I currently have a Sony 40es so I'll be comparing the two. I have zero experience reviewing projectors but i'll give my honest opinion.
MJ DOOM likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-10-2020, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezz621 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbonadio View Post

LS700-4k is on it way!

I received a notice from projector people that my LS700-4K has shipped. Expected to arrive Tuesday 1/14/20. I'm super excited and honestly did not believe it would ship anytime soon. I was honestly thinking of purchasing an UST projector because this was delayed so long and there are very few 4k short throw projectors that will work for my room.

I currently have a Sony 40es so I'll be comparing the two. I have zero experience reviewing projectors but i'll give my honest opinion.
I can't wait to hear what you think. I'm shopping around and stalling buying anything because of the potential of this thing. Let us know how it looks!
post #9 of 14 Old 01-10-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRLIFE View Post
I was going to place an order for an LS700-4K today since they are showing in stock at various online retailers. However, the specs say it is using a .47" chip. Which means this unit will have the dreaded light border. Also, the passioncinema review of the 1080P version states it's out of box color accuracy was bad and it took long hours of calibration to bring out the full potential of this projector.

I was hoping this would be a viable option since I am coming from a Benq LK952 but it appears this would be a lateral move at best.

Is the light border a big deal if the screen has a black frame boarder? For me i don't think this will be a big deal, but i can see it being a problem for screens without the black frame to hide the "light border".

My big concern (and I'm just realizing this) is the LS-HD is a laser projector. I was under the impression it was a lamp based projector and that by going to the 4k model i would be getting an improvement in black level (seeing that laser projectors seem to have a natural advantage in blacks over their lamp based competitors).

I'm confident the sharpness and brightness will be an improvement over my Sony 40es, however my main concern is the black levels.

Color accuracy is another concern, however if i have to spend some time dialing in the colors, I'm ok as long as the end product is perceived to be on par or better than my sony.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-10-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Is the light border a big deal if the screen has a black frame boarder? For me i don't think this will be a big deal, but i can see it being a problem for screens without the black frame to hide the "light border".

My big concern (and I'm just realizing this) is the LS-HD is a laser projector. I was under the impression it was a lamp based projector and that by going to the 4k model i would be getting an improvement in black level (seeing that laser projectors seem to have a natural advantage in blacks over their lamp based competitors).

I'm confident the sharpness and brightness will be an improvement over my Sony 40es, however my main concern is the black levels.

Color accuracy is another concern, however if i have to spend some time dialing in the colors, I'm ok as long as the end product is perceived to be on par or better than my sony.
I highly doubt it will reach the HW40es's black level. Only the HT5550 (DLP in this price range) gets close, and that is with an active iris.
Is the room treated for reflections?

The light border is not a problem if the screen has a black border. The black border can be enhanced with black velvet if it's really necessary, but usually the black border of a screen or of a felt tape is enough.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-12-2020, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Looking forward to seeing some impressions. I’ve soured on the 3550 due to all of the issues folks are having with it.

post #12 of 14 Old 01-13-2020, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So in one of my crazier moments I went ahead and ordered this AND the other projector I was eyeing. I couldn't buy the lg knowing this might be better for the same cost, nor could I buy the lg knowing this may be terrible. Both with fair return policies. May the best projector win.
coderguy likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 02:40 PM

The Ls4k is here! Arrived a day late but its all good

I spent about an hour tinkering once installed. The installation isn't perfect. Currently I'm using a 92'' screen but i bought this projector mainly to use with a 110 or 120 inch screen which i have yet to purchase. The image is extended beyond the screen frame by about 3 inches on all sides due to my poor initial install. I can probably readjust but i wont bother as i'll be getting a bigger screen soon.

Initial Impressions: Huge improvement in brightness, sharpness and color! 1080p content appears crystal clear and this appears to be a big improvement over my Sony with 1 or 2 glaring issues. The biggest issue is the lens uniformity is terrible. This is my 4th home theater projector (in 13 years) and i don't ever remember not being able to focus the image on previous projectors. If I focus the center of the image, the corners tend to be blurred. Sometimes it seems unnoticeable and other times it's terrible. I'm hoping this is just a manufactures defect. I also question weather this could be an issue with projector being zoomed out all the way despite the image being bigger than my screen?

Color accuracy seems off but its hard to tell where to start as sometimes blues appear to pop out of the screen and other times reds do the same. I think i would get used to the extra saturated colors but not when it comes to unnatural skin tones (work in progress). BTW color accuracy appeared much better in Movie mode however i felt it muted the colors too much and also reduced brightness more than I'd prefer. Currently I've settled on Standard mode but its a work in progress.

So far I really like the improvement in picture quality (minus the focus issue). I'll be looking to swap this out with another one if i cant get the focus issue resolved.

Btw i love how this turns on so quickly! Also, its definitely louder than my Sony, but it doesn't bother me. Its sitting right above my seat abut 4 feet over my head.

I'm looking forward to testing Sports, 3D and 4k content soon. I'll continue to share my opinion as i test it out going forward.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
The Ls4k is here! Arrived a day late but its all good

I spent about an hour tinkering once installed. The installation isn't perfect. Currently I'm using a 92'' screen but i bought this projector mainly to use with a 110 or 120 inch screen which i have yet to purchase. The image is extended beyond the screen frame by about 3 inches on all sides due to my poor initial install. I can probably readjust but i wont bother as i'll be getting a bigger screen soon.

Initial Impressions: Huge improvement in brightness, sharpness and color! 1080p content appears crystal clear and this appears to be a big improvement over my Sony with 1 or 2 glaring issues. The biggest issue is the lens uniformity is terrible. This is my 4th home theater projector (in 13 years) and i don't ever remember not being able to focus the image on previous projectors. If I focus the center of the image, the corners tend to be blurred. Sometimes it seems unnoticeable and other times it's terrible. I'm hoping this is just a manufactures defect. I also question weather this could be an issue with projector being zoomed out all the way despite the image being bigger than my screen?

Color accuracy seems off but its hard to tell where to start as sometimes blues appear to pop out of the screen and other times reds do the same. I think i would get used to the extra saturated colors but not when it comes to unnatural skin tones (work in progress). BTW color accuracy appeared much better in Movie mode however i felt it muted the colors too much and also reduced brightness more than I'd prefer. Currently I've settled on Standard mode but its a work in progress.

So far I really like the improvement in picture quality (minus the focus issue). I'll be looking to swap this out with another one if i cant get the focus issue resolved.

Btw i love how this turns on so quickly! Also, its definitely louder than my Sony, but it doesn't bother me. Its sitting right above my seat abut 4 feet over my head.

I'm looking forward to testing Sports, 3D and 4k content soon. I'll continue to share my opinion as i test it out going forward.

Can you comment on the black floor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page