Optoma UHD40 crazy brightness effect from Macbook HDMI - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Optoma UHD40 crazy brightness effect from Macbook HDMI

Hey guys,

No problems in general when watching my Optoma UHD 40 connected to Netflix etc through XBox1X, however when I watch a football match through the Sky Sports app (in Europe) on my Macbook, and connect via HDMI into my amp and then to the projector, all of the whites and lighter colours are completely blown out giving a strange over-contrasty over-saturated effect. The picture on the laptop still looks completely normal.

I have noticed a similar effect when watching the occasional downloaded 4K movie through an external drive connected to my laptop, and usually end up just downloading the same movie again in 1080 because the colours look much better. Which is also a bit of a shame because obviously I got the projector with 4k movies in mind.

Any idea why these two issues are happening? Is it something to do with a conflicting HDR setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie88 View Post
Hey guys,

No problems in general when watching my Optoma UHD 40 connected to Netflix etc through XBox1X, however when I watch a football match through the Sky Sports app (in Europe) on my Macbook, and connect via HDMI into my amp and then to the projector, all of the whites and lighter colours are completely blown out giving a strange over-contrasty over-saturated effect. The picture on the laptop still looks completely normal.

I have noticed a similar effect when watching the occasional downloaded 4K movie through an external drive connected to my laptop, and usually end up just downloading the same movie again in 1080 because the colours look much better. Which is also a bit of a shame because obviously I got the projector with 4k movies in mind.

Any idea why these two issues are happening? Is it something to do with a conflicting HDR setting?
What picture mode are you watching your sports and downloaded movies in? Many laptops cannot pass an HDR signal through external HDMI.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2019, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
What picture mode are you watching your sports and downloaded movies in? Many laptops cannot pass an HDR signal through external HDMI.
I just have it set on Cinema mode all the time, and HDR: auto...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-11-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie88 View Post
I just have it set on Cinema mode all the time, and HDR: auto...
Can you set your laptop to output YcbCr? Also try using limited range (16-235) rather than full range (0-255). I don't use a Mac so I don't know the display settings on them.

Last edited by DunMunro; 09-11-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page