• 1 Post By noob00224
  • 1 Post By shpitz316

post #1 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Optoma GT1080HDR

Hi everyone. New member here. I had the Optoma GT1080Darbee earlier in the year and saw that Optoma now has the GT1080HDR releasing. Specs seem good but was wondering do you think there will be an advantage having the HDR feature? I don't have the option of a projector 15'-20 ft away so the short throw would work best for me. Unfortunately no native 4k projectors in short throw range and not interested in pixel shifting.

If anyone is wondering I watch movies in darkness. Zero lights on. Will be getting an Elite Screen or painting my wall (it has no defects, I know this from experience as the GT1080 looked great on the wall) with silver screen.

Thanks all and look forward to the discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Optoma is doing a heck of a job leveraging their 1080p models with 4K/HDR support which certainly adds something to their models and value. The price point is solid, but if you aren't gaming and watching actual 4K content, I'm not sure what advantage you are going for here. By more reports, for 1080, the short throw BenQ tends to do a better job (2150ST) with the 6 segment RGB/RGB color wheel.

That said, I don't think most would be able to tell them apart unless they actually were side by side.

Not sure why you wouldn't be interested in pixel shifting as all reports are that it does an excellent job delivering the goods.

But, you aren't getting any short throw 4K pixel shifters yet. UST yes, but regular short throw, no. And, the UST models carry a serious price tag right now.

The usual USA trickle factor on projectors. They will take a few more years to get a couple of 4K ST models into the marketplace, and we will slowly see the Chinese UST models come in, or US models get released with sub $3K price points.

But, nobody seems to be rushing towards that 4K ST model for $1,500 or less yet.

If you are buying, and comfortable with 1080p, then I wouldn't have any qualms about someone picking up the 1080HDR. It certainly is a solid value for the money.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback. I would like to go to 4k but the UST are definitely too expensive at this time. I was hoping the Optoma P1 was going to be under 3 but sadly that didn't come to fruition. I honestly can afford up to $3,000 but will possibly be moving out of state within the next year and that would be a nice condo and the rules will not allow running wires for a Sony or JVC native. I was looking at the BenQ 2150 but wasn't sure if HDR on the Optoma will actually have deeper colors and back levels when in that mode. I also see that the bulb is much more affordable for the Optoma GT1080 HDR. While I'm not an avid gamer I do enjoy playing a couple times a week for a few hrs or so each session. Not into online, competition driven gaming though.

Thank you again for the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that I have a Sony 4k player and about 60 4K Ultra HD Discs I would be using with the Optoma GT1080HDR
post #5 of 26 Old 09-12-2019, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

The big river showing 1 to 3 months still before it ships. Hmmmm, really want to try this one out.
post #6 of 26 Old 09-18-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Everyone !

I subscribed just recently to the forum. I'm very interested in the projector field, since the CES 2019, mostly where we seen some interesting presentations of UST projectors (P1, viewsonic x1000-4k, LG etc...).

Well, concerning the gt1080HDR, as I understand, it is an improvement of the gt1080Darbee with the same crazy low input lag and better contrast and brightness. We even seen a black version of it during the CES, which is dope !

I'm also looking for informations about this one (release date and so on), so if anyone could help it would be great.

Can we trust "the big river" and deduce a release date between 1 to 3 months ?
post #7 of 26 Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jordan. Welcome to the group. I don't think it's accurate really for the 1-3 months and noticed the price dropping so that is a good sign it's getting close to release. Soon as it shows in stock think I'll take a chance on it and see how much improvement there is over the GT 1080 Darbee.
post #8 of 26 Old 10-06-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone hear any more on this one? I see it available online now for next week but that's about it.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-09-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPanda View Post
Hi everyone. New member here. I had the Optoma GT1080Darbee earlier in the year and saw that Optoma now has the GT1080HDR releasing. Specs seem good but was wondering do you think there will be an advantage having the HDR feature? I don't have the option of a projector 15'-20 ft away so the short throw would work best for me. Unfortunately no native 4k projectors in short throw range and not interested in pixel shifting.

If anyone is wondering I watch movies in darkness. Zero lights on. Will be getting an Elite Screen or painting my wall (it has no defects, I know this from experience as the GT1080 looked great on the wall) with silver screen.

I was initially considering this PJ, but ultimately decided on the HD39HDR instead. I wanted the zoom feature for installation ease, as my new setup doesn't require short throw & I am using a fixed frame Elite.... as opposed to my regular wall-painted/treated screens.

Like you, I was interested in some sort of interim upgrade from regular 1080p until the affordable 4K units resolved their issues with input lag.

Its rather quiet on these forums for Optoma's new line of HDR 1080p PJs but something tells me that this will change as more people get over their mystification with "faux-4K" and truly recognize the benefit of a large immersive 1080p HDR image being fed an HDR 4K signal & essentially no input lag.

Good luck! (Im actually in the process of mounting the Optoma HD39HDR right now)
post #10 of 26 Old 10-09-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post
I was initially considering this PJ, but ultimately decided on the HD39HDR instead. I wanted the zoom feature for installation ease, as my new setup doesn't require short throw & I am using a fixed frame Elite.... as opposed to my regular wall-painted/treated screens.

Like you, I was interested in some sort of interim upgrade from regular 1080p until the affordable 4K units resolved their issues with input lag.

Its rather quiet on these forums for Optoma's new line of HDR 1080p PJs but something tells me that this will change as more people get over their mystification with "faux-4K" and truly recognize the benefit of a large immersive 1080p HDR image being fed an HDR 4K signal & essentially no input lag.

Good luck! (Im actually in the process of mounting the Optoma HD39HDR right now)
The feature set of these HDR ready 1080p units is decent and they are fantastic for gaming, the real issue is that the over-all image quality is so-so.

I owned the HD27HDR and I bought it new for $398, I still returned it because the image was just meh (the BenQ 2050a throws a much better image IMO).

With that said, their price point makes for an undeniable value (especially for gaming).

- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #11 of 26 Old 10-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPanda View Post

What do you think of the hd39hdr? I own the hd27hdr and no zoom is awful. I think I may buy the 39 to try it out.
post #12 of 26 Old 10-13-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So far I've spent the last couple of days trying to tame the brightness of this little guy... It's got lots of Lumens.

I have managed to find out how to work the HDR features... They are going to take some time to really get down pat but I can confirm that the unit handles HDR. Albeit it's not as good as the HDR features on my 70" Vizio, but I think with more tweaking & calibrating things will become more familiar to me.

Once I get a better white & black level dialed in I believe I will be in a better position to really speak on the image... All in all so far, I am not dissatisfied with my purchase.
post #13 of 26 Old 10-15-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
Quote:

The feature set of these HDR ready 1080p units is decent and they are fantastic for gaming, the real issue is that the over-all image quality is so-so. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

I owned the HD27HDR and I bought it new for $398, I still returned it because the image was just meh (the BenQ 2050a throws a much better image IMO).

With that said, their price point makes for an undeniable value (especially for gaming).

- Jason
I'm actually going to order the BenQ 2050a later today. Overall I am disappointed in the image of the HD39HDR... But in fairness to the unit, I believe the issue is that this unit is too bright for my application.

I'm only projecting at 110" in a fully light controlled environment.... I'm getting nearly 100fl which I'm finding is nearly impossible to dial in a decent black/white level. I'm gonna do some A/B comparisons with both units since their have very similar mount specs.
post #14 of 26 Old 10-16-2019, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Wow, that is bright. My cousin had a silverstar screen I believe. I had just bought an epson 3010 and took it over there and turned it on, that screen was headache bright. It was a squint only experience. Haha.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-27-2019, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Has anyone got an update on the new GT1080HDR?

I have the 1080 Darbee and looking to upgrade.
post #16 of 26 Old 11-08-2019, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hubbard View Post
Has anyone got an update on the new GT1080HDR?

I have the 1080 Darbee and looking to upgrade.
I'd say that you should for 2 big reasons:

1. HDR: most people think UHDTV (4K) is great over HDTV monitors/projectors, but it's actually the HDR format that makes everything look better. You can test this by playing a non HDR source on a 4K monitors/projectors. Although most 4K contents nowadays will have HDR included.
So the HDR feature on this is great comparing to the standard or Darbee vision - worth the upgrade for me. I've watched a few movies on this projector for both HDR and non HDR contents. HDR, as expected, looks amazing; even at 1080P.
And note that it does accept 4K content; it'll just downscale to 1080P.

2. Gaming at 120Hz/HDR: this is still the best 1080P gaming projector at this time i think - 120Hz and super low input lag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	809.3 KB
ID:	2638342  
Alper AYKUT likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Hello Have you received an HDR image with a PC in Windows? Does HDR appear too bad when HDR opens on Windows PC? I would love to share your HDR settings.
Thank you.
post #18 of 26 Old 11-10-2019, 03:35 PM

Hi Guys !
Any news about this PJ ? for me this is just what I need but it's kinda difficult to find information about it.
Thank you !
post #19 of 26 Old 11-16-2019, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phong Huynh View Post
I'd say that you should for 2 big reasons:

1. HDR: most people think UHDTV (4K) is great over HDTV monitors/projectors, but it's actually the HDR format that makes everything look better. You can test this by playing a non HDR source on a 4K monitors/projectors. Although most 4K contents nowadays will have HDR included.
So the HDR feature on this is great comparing to the standard or Darbee vision - worth the upgrade for me. I've watched a few movies on this projector for both HDR and non HDR contents. HDR, as expected, looks amazing; even at 1080P.
And note that it does accept 4K content; it'll just downscale to 1080P.

2. Gaming at 120Hz/HDR: this is still the best 1080P gaming projector at this time i think - 120Hz and super low input lag.

How are the black levels in a dark room?Thank you.
post #20 of 26 Old 11-16-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan B. View Post
Hi Guys !
Any news about this PJ ? for me this is just what I need but it's kinda difficult to find information about it.
Thank you !
What information do you need?
post #21 of 26 Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan B. View Post
Hi Guys !
Thank you !
It’s strange that there are almost no reviews to this model (except few on amazon). The Darbee model had many reviews.
I guess that there is no demand for 1080p projectors in 2019...
post #22 of 26 Old 12-04-2019, 12:17 PM

Hey guys, I’m new here at the forum.
I was wondering if you could help me. I am thinking about changing my video setup from TV to projector and this model 1080HDR from Otpma caught my interest, but I have some doubts…

1-How this projector work with an Xbox One X? I ask this because of the super sampling feature in the device (One X), and so I wonder about that. Do the One X recognize the device as a 1080p and make use of the feature, or send the signal 4K and the projector do the work?

2-When the projector do the change from 4K to 1080p, make use of the same feature (super sampling) as the One X or use different approach to make the conversion? I ask this because when I first buy my One X, had a FHD TV and make use of the feature for several months until I buy a entry level 4K TV and really must say the super sampling is amazing and show a super clean and sharp 1080p image.

3-The back of the projector says Full 1080 3D but in the Optoma page from the product doesn’t say is 3D compatible. Someone know if I will be able to see movies on 3D with this projector?

Thank you all for your help on advance.
¡Regards!
post #23 of 26 Old 12-04-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago S. View Post
Hey guys, I’m new here at the forum.
I was wondering if you could help me. I am thinking about changing my video setup from TV to projector and this model 1080HDR from Otpma caught my interest, but I have some doubts…

1-How this projector work with an Xbox One X? I ask this because of the super sampling feature in the device (One X), and so I wonder about that. Do the One X recognize the device as a 1080p and make use of the feature, or send the signal 4K and the projector do the work?

2-When the projector do the change from 4K to 1080p, make use of the same feature (super sampling) as the One X or use different approach to make the conversion? I ask this because when I first buy my One X, had a FHD TV and make use of the feature for several months until I buy a entry level 4K TV and really must say the super sampling is amazing and show a super clean and sharp 1080p image.

3-The back of the projector says Full 1080 3D but in the Optoma page from the product doesn’t say is 3D compatible. Someone know if I will be able to see movies on 3D with this projector?

Thank you all for your help on advance.
¡Regards!
This projector will accept a 4K signal (HDR10).
Not sure how the Xbox works, if resolution can be changed from the Xbox.

This PJ is Full 3D compatible. A pair of 3D glasses is required.
Page 2:
https://www.optoma.com/us/wp-content...atasheet-1.pdf
Page 45:
https://www.optoma.com/us/wp-content...1080HDR-UM.pdf
Santiago S. likes this.
post #24 of 26 Old 12-05-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago S. View Post
When the projector do the change from 4K to 1080p, make use of the same feature (super sampling) as the One X or use different approach to make the conversion? I ask this because when I first buy my One X, had a FHD TV and make use of the feature for several months until I buy a entry level 4K TV and really must say the super sampling is amazing and show a super clean and sharp 1080p image.
It's not the same feature because it's not the same implementation, but the idea is the same of bringing the extra data of 4K/UHD to 1080p resolution.
in a review of a similar projector (but without short-throw) they mention the extra detail that can be seen in downscaling:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm
Santiago S. likes this.
post #25 of 26 Old 12-05-2019, 10:29 AM

[quote=shpitz316;58916742]It's not the same feature because it's not the same implementation, but the idea is the same of bringing the extra data of 4K/UHD to 1080p resolution.
in a review of a similar projector (but without short-throw) they mention the extra detail that can be seen in downscaling:

Thanks for the info! This review help a lot.
post #26 of 26 Old 12-05-2019, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=Santiago S.;58917696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz316 View Post
It's not the same feature because it's not the same implementation, but the idea is the same of bringing the extra data of 4K/UHD to 1080p resolution.

Thanks for the info! This review help a lot.
May I ask if it helped you decide? I’m also on the fence regarding this projector. It’s really good for gaming and not too expensive, but doesn’t have 4K and its HDR is pretty mediocre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP