UST - projecting smaller section of screen only. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By klas
  • 1 Post By Mega_Maniac

post #1 of 11 Old 09-11-2019, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
UST - projecting smaller section of screen only.

So I'm fairly close to pulling the trigger on a Wemax A300 and 80" XY Screens PET Crystal.

It's for my front room so even at 80" with an active picture it will dominate the room a bit.

So my question is: Is it possible to project say a 50" image into the lower centre of the screen and just have the built in Android TV fill in the rest with black?... I mean I assume it is in fact possible, as it would be trivial in software to do so, but is it a particularly bad idea? I don't know a huge amount about the chips so I am wondering if doing this would create a hot spot on the chip and if I would end up with a burned in or faded square from only projecting that small bit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I couldn't wait and ordered in an 80" XY Pet Crystal and a Wemax A300 - despite the weak pound with a voucher and cashback I wasn't too upset with the price, any western brand would have been double the price. Although I am braced for another 35% in taxes and import!

Here is a mockup I made of my front room to help me decide:

post #3 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You just move projector close to the wall and you will get the size you need, there is no digital zoom in Xiaomi. You could kind of reduce it with keystone adjustment but it's not much. Also you won't be able to reduce it to 50" unless you put projector under the screen. As I recall it can only go down to somewhere 65" if you put it right against the wall. Although it's a waste of screen size to reduce it if you got 80 ALR screen. If you need 50" it would have been cheaper to get 50" tv
dreamstate likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
You just move projector close to the wall and you will get the size you need, there is no digital zoom in Xiaomi. You could kind of reduce it with keystone adjustment but it's not much. Also you won't be able to reduce it to 50" unless you put projector under the screen. As I recall it can only go down to somewhere 65" if you put it right against the wall. Although it's a waste of screen size to reduce it if you got 80 ALR screen. If you need 50" it would have been cheaper to get 50" tv
Not quite what I meant - as I don't always want a 50" screen.

Most of the time, watching movies or high quality TV I will want to watch the screen at 80". However if its just day time TV then there is no need to have such a massive image - so I would like to be able to reduce it in software. It was also my understanding that 80" is the minimum size to maintain focus, you can't just move it closer to reduce the size unless I am mistaken.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega_Maniac View Post
Not quite what I meant - as I don't always want a 50" screen.

Most of the time, watching movies or high quality TV I will want to watch the screen at 80". However if its just day time TV then there is no need to have such a massive image - so I would like to be able to reduce it in software. It was also my understanding that 80" is the minimum size to maintain focus, you can't just move it closer to reduce the size unless I am mistaken.
Bottom line it's not a feature in Xiaomi to adjust size digitally the way you want, you will have to move the projector. I have tried putting right against the wall to get the minimum picture it can get around 65", focus wasn't an issue as I recall, but it's not the size I used frequently. I generally adjust picture size in the range of 90" to 130".

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #6 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Bottom line it's not a feature in Xiaomi to adjust size digitally the way you want, you will have to move the projector. I have tried putting right against the wall to get the minimum picture it can get around 65", focus wasn't an issue as I recall, but it's not the size I used frequently. I generally adjust picture size in the range of 90" to 130".
Ok cheers, I wasn't thinking it would be a feature of the software, but it seems likely to me to be possible after rooting the device. No guarantee that it will be of course but it's my suspicion that it will be.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Perhaps you can.

The upcoming optoma P1 has 0.8x - 2.0x digital zoom which is might be what you are after with Xioami.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Perhaps you can.

The upcoming optoma P1 has 0.8x - 2.0x digital zoom which is might be what you are after with Xioami.
That will be interesting to see, unfortunately the landed price would be more than double until they release in the UK which could be years away.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 528
If you use a HTPC as a source you can size the image to any size you want but of course scaling/lowering resolution along with it.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #10 of 11 Old 09-13-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
As @rekbones mentioned a HTPC method would do a great job of digitally scaling and also allow you to move the image anyplace on the screen. Think of it as a large monitor and you are using a media player window on it and the window can be sized and positioned on the screen.

I have used such an approach only with a standard throw projector. Doing this allowed me to use what we call a DIY stealth screen wall. It is painted with a paint formulated for projection and gives no clue as to it being a screen until the projector fires. I can do both the digital zoom/position method thru HTPC and I can also zoom the image at the projector. My seating distance is 8’ and I range image sizes between 60” and 110”. A size of 60” is perfect for most network TV news and sitcoms and 110” is perfect for a movie like Dunkirk with its IMAX framing and cinematography.

Bud
post #11 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies -

I used to run a HTPC, but these days I just stream pretty much everything, I got a little fatigued with keeping my media library organised!

It's useful to know however as as you say, a smaller screen size suits network TV much better.

If I manage to find a way to achieve this with the in built android smart TV I'll be sure to make a post so any other curious souls can have a crack.
bud16415 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page