Epson HC 3200 and 3800 revealed - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 283Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 833 Old 06-30-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,621
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by srees304 View Post
Thanks!

The price is crazy low...that contrast, though...12000:1 sounds pretty painful.
Which one? The 727 has ~500:1 native and ~1200:1 dynamic and 747 has ~370:1 native and ~750:1 dynamic.

The HC3800 has ~1700-2000:1 native and ~35 000:1 dynamic.
The HC3200 has ~450:1 native and not sure about dynamic. It does have an active iris which helps.


Something that can cause irregular focus is the projector not being perpendicular to the screen. If screens are just mounted to walls it may not straight, since walls are often not straight.

Last edited by noob00224; 06-30-2020 at 09:47 AM.
noob00224 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 833 Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Which one? The 727 has ~500:1 native and ~1200:1 dynamic and 747 has ~370:1 native and ~750:1 dynamic.

The HC3800 has ~1700-2000:1 native and ~35 000:1 dynamic.
The HC3200 has ~450:1 native and not sure about dynamic. It does have an active iris which helps.


Something that can cause irregular focus is the projector not being perpendicular to the screen. If screens are just mounted to walls it may not straight, since walls are often not straight.
HC3200 has 40 000:1 dynamic, and is OK but not impressive by any means. I haven't seen the native contrast ratios, I guess I'll have to dig more for that info.

The projector is perpendicular to the screen. The difference in focus requires moving the particular corner multiple feet closer to the projector to rectify (tested with a sheet of paper walked closer, and I can guarantee you my wall/screen are not _that_ uneven.

Flipping the projector (ceiling mount vs tabletop) results in the blurry section moving to the opposite quadrant, which is also proof it isn't the wall.
srees304 is offline  
post #813 of 833 Old 06-30-2020, 11:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by srees304 View Post
The difference in focus requires moving the particular corner multiple feet closer to the projector to rectify (tested with a sheet of paper walked closer, and I can guarantee you my wall/screen are not _that_ uneven.



Flipping the projector (ceiling mount vs tabletop) results in the blurry section moving to the opposite quadrant, which is also proof it isn't the wall.
I'm no pro, but it sure sounds like a defective or damaged unit to me. There's no way having that much area be so out of focus (multiple feet) be acceptable for a properly functioning device, assuming no environmental or installation flaws.


Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Trapani likes this.
GeoGemini is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #814 of 833 Old 06-30-2020, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Trapani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Ouchers on that 3200s native contrast

450 vs 1700-2000 is a big difference in true native contrast... where is the source for that data?

The irises are probably the same

Also sounds like each respective tier has lesser and lesser defects
IE 3200<3800<4010<5040<5050

If your focus is that far off though like it takes multiple feet, I'd return it

My focus on my 3800 isn't perfect but it was equal to the DLPs in its class
When I say not perfect, I can't get the focus razor sharp, not like it is physically out of focus
In no area can I not resolve individual pixels on the screen in other words

The best test is to bring a friend over and have them look at it.
If they can see wrong stuff, yeah your machine is broke.

If not, you may have projectoritis; a mild form of OCD contracted from owning a projector. This is remedied by spending more money.
elee532 and GeoGemini like this.

My Rig :)
Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
Martin Logan Aeon i - DefTech CS8060hd - Klipsch Reference RW-12D - B&W SCM8
Logitech Harmony Ultimate (Making sure everybody plays nicely)
Trapani is online now  
post #815 of 833 Old 06-30-2020, 11:35 AM
Newbie
 
XK_HT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapani View Post
Ouchers on that 3200s native contrast

450 vs 1700-2000 is a big difference in true native contrast... where is the source for that data?

The irises are probably the same

Also sounds like each respective tier has lesser and lesser defects
IE 3200<3800<4010<5040<5050

If your focus is that far off though like it takes multiple feet, I'd return it

My focus on my 3800 isn't perfect but it was equal to the DLPs in its class
When I say not perfect, I can't get the focus razor sharp, not like it is physically out of focus
In no area can I not resolve individual pixels on the screen in other words

The best test is to bring a friend over and have them look at it.
If they can see wrong stuff, yeah your machine is broke.

If not, you may have projectoritis; a mild form of OCD contracted from owning a projector. This is remedied by spending more money.
LOL Projectoritis - most people on this form have mild-severe symptoms of that.

Are the 3800 black levels significantly better than the DLP units? what about Mixed scenes (Mid-High APL)?
XK_HT is offline  
post #816 of 833 Old 06-30-2020, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,621
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by srees304 View Post
HC3200 has 40 000:1 dynamic, and is OK but not impressive by any means. I haven't seen the native contrast ratios, I guess I'll have to dig more for that info.

The projector is perpendicular to the screen. The difference in focus requires moving the particular corner multiple feet closer to the projector to rectify (tested with a sheet of paper walked closer, and I can guarantee you my wall/screen are not _that_ uneven.

Flipping the projector (ceiling mount vs tabletop) results in the blurry section moving to the opposite quadrant, which is also proof it isn't the wall.
I'm certain the HC3200 does not have 40 000:1 dynamic. I assume that you're taking that figure from Epson's specification. Which are not true (contrast).
The HC3800's contrast claimed by Epson is 100 000:1, which is obviously not true.

@Trapani
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59021304
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/
Trapani likes this.
noob00224 is online now  
post #817 of 833 Old 06-30-2020, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,621
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by XK_HT View Post
LOL Projectoritis - most people on this form have mild-severe symptoms of that.

Are the 3800 black levels significantly better than the DLP units? what about Mixed scenes (Mid-High APL)?
Those scenes will have an advantage with DLP, at least on paper. IRL the difference is not that big, with the room hampering whatever advantage DLP might have. Even in a treated room the difference is not significant IMO, and noticeable. However poor black level in low ADL scenes will be noticeable.
noob00224 is online now  
post #818 of 833 Old 07-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
mostau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Which one? The 727 has ~500:1 native and ~1200:1 dynamic and 747 has ~370:1 native and ~750:1 dynamic.
Something that can cause irregular focus is the projector not being perpendicular to the screen. If screens are just mounted to walls it may not straight, since walls are often not straight.
Hi,

I've had issues with uniform focus as well and played around with placement for a while.

This is a snippet from my 3800 review on Amazon (You can go there for my full review, I have the picture of my Panel Alignment pattern there, sorry I can't find the original at the moment to post here).

"Update: As some have commented on inability to focus across the entire screen. I had to work on the projector position a bit as I had a similar experience, but after I pointed the projector "slightly up" (still no keystoning), and used lens shift to bring the image down I was able to get a completely uniform focus at all sections of the screen. I added a picture of the Panel Alignment pattern to show it is sharp on all locations of the screen (the missing lines are due to my black velvet screen masking). Maybe I got lucky with mine but I've had no issues with focus or blurring after adjusting."
mostau is online now  
post #819 of 833 Old 07-01-2020, 01:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostau View Post
Hi,

I've had issues with uniform focus as well and played around with placement for a while.

This is a snippet from my 3800 review on Amazon (You can go there for my full review, I have the picture of my Panel Alignment pattern there, sorry I can't find the original at the moment to post here).

"Update: As some have commented on inability to focus across the entire screen. I had to work on the projector position a bit as I had a similar experience, but after I pointed the projector "slightly up" (still no keystoning), and used lens shift to bring the image down I was able to get a completely uniform focus at all sections of the screen. I added a picture of the Panel Alignment pattern to show it is sharp on all locations of the screen (the missing lines are due to my black velvet screen masking). Maybe I got lucky with mine but I've had no issues with focus or blurring after adjusting."
Is that ceiling mount or tabletop? I think you got lucky. I've been through three of them, all easily reproducible. A major Epson benefit is the flexible placement, and if you have to stand just so with it to get it to work, that benefit is nullified.

Projectoritis definitely...funny...I'm certainly looking at the spending more solution.
srees304 is offline  
post #820 of 833 Old 07-01-2020, 03:14 PM
Member
 
Trapani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by srees304 View Post
Is that ceiling mount or tabletop? I think you got lucky. I've been through three of them, all easily reproducible. A major Epson benefit is the flexible placement, and if you have to stand just so with it to get it to work, that benefit is nullified.

Projectoritis definitely...funny...I'm certainly looking at the spending more solution.
I've tried ceiling, low table, and I'm currently doing high table floating-shelf style mount

The third is best for me at this point because it's less precarious and prone to vibration than the hanging (underneath my furnace unfortunately) so I have mine on a floating shelf.

Image uniformity was best with the low table style mount... IE just over your couch or on a table or shelf
When I hung mine, I used an extended ceiling mount which also did bring the PJ closer to center, just more upside down.

Mostau might be right about pointing the projector slightly up too, my setup is actually slightly inclined, though I'm using a lot more lens shift to bring down the high shelf upright style mounting.

My Rig :)
Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
Martin Logan Aeon i - DefTech CS8060hd - Klipsch Reference RW-12D - B&W SCM8
Logitech Harmony Ultimate (Making sure everybody plays nicely)
Trapani is online now  
post #821 of 833 Old 07-01-2020, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Trapani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Also, btw for those who might have been curious the list of official accessories is at this link

https://files.support.epson.com/doci...3200_3800.html

That has the part #s for filters, lamps, the official mount that's supposed to go on this, etc.
There's even some wifi chip but it looks limited

My Rig :)
Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
Martin Logan Aeon i - DefTech CS8060hd - Klipsch Reference RW-12D - B&W SCM8
Logitech Harmony Ultimate (Making sure everybody plays nicely)
Trapani is online now  
post #822 of 833 Old 07-01-2020, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I've got a 3800 and focus uniformity is not much of an issue, I get pretty good clarity on a 150" screen.

Ceiling mounted about a 1.4x zoom.
GeoGemini likes this.
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #823 of 833 Old 07-02-2020, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
kensingtonwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 780
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Epson HC 3200 and 3800 revealed

The 3800 has been nothing short of amazing for me. I will never go back to regular TV!
GeoGemini likes this.

Last edited by kensingtonwick; 07-02-2020 at 06:45 AM.
kensingtonwick is offline  
post #824 of 833 Old 07-02-2020, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
mostau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by srees304 View Post
Is that ceiling mount or tabletop? I think you got lucky. I've been through three of them, all easily reproducible. A major Epson benefit is the flexible placement, and if you have to stand just so with it to get it to work, that benefit is nullified.
I am ceiling mounted, however I have a vaulted ceiling and I've lowered the projector 16" so it is a tad below the top of the screen (maybe 1 foot down a 6 foot tall screen) so I have some headroom to point the projector up. You view can my setup here (scroll down past the video zoom screen shots for the room setup, or up a tad to see the projector mount)...

Unfortunately I deleted my original picture of the alignment pattern after I uploaded it to Amazon. I grabbed it back from there but it is lower resolution than the original. I'll try to take another this weekend (after the sun is down).

Update: I took a new full resolution picture of my panel alignment pattern. Have a look.

Last edited by mostau; 07-03-2020 at 09:42 PM.
mostau is online now  
post #825 of 833 Old 07-08-2020, 08:07 AM
Member
 
bradsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It seems like this model is discontinued? Price shot up and out of stock everywhere now
bradsh is offline  
post #826 of 833 Old 07-08-2020, 08:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Guess I just solved the no uniform focus issue by play with len shift+keystone correction.
Basically there seems a bad area in the lens and you tryto move away from it.
It's still not perfect but I feel likeimproved 80% of it and It's now acceptable to me.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
mostau and noob00224 like this.
DU Ethan is online now  
post #827 of 833 Old 07-08-2020, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,621
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh View Post
It seems like this model is discontinued? Price shot up and out of stock everywhere now
It's because of Covid, hasn't been discontinued.
noob00224 is online now  
post #828 of 833 Old 07-08-2020, 09:00 AM
Member
 
bradsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh View Post
It seems like this model is discontinued? Price shot up and out of stock everywhere now
It's because of Covid, hasn't been discontinued.
Main reason I thought this was because it went on deep discount everywhere right before going out of stock. Felt like a stock liquidation
bradsh is offline  
post #829 of 833 Old 07-08-2020, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,621
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh View Post
Main reason I thought this was because it went on deep discount everywhere right before going out of stock. Felt like a stock liquidation
It's not just the 3800, but other projectors, and a lot of electronics as well.
noob00224 is online now  
post #830 of 833 Old 07-08-2020, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,016
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh View Post
It seems like this model is discontinued? Price shot up and out of stock everywhere now
Epson wouldn't discontinue a projector after one year. At least I haven't seen it done in the last 10 years or so. Like others said it is probably more because of COVID19 and everyone is at home more. It seems like a pretty good projector for the money.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #831 of 833 Old 07-08-2020, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
scoobdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I bought my 3200 on Father's day. It was a good chunk off as well as the 3800, 4010, and even the 5050. The day after they shot back up to msrp.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
scoobdude is online now  
post #832 of 833 Old 07-09-2020, 03:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still listed as being on sale where I ordered my HC 3800 from, eastporters.com, for Canadians. That being said, I see several other locations where it has indeed returned to the MSRP price.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
GeoGemini is offline  
post #833 of 833 Old 07-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Member
 
Roy G Biv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Seems odd they had such a big sale with limited stock, but maybe they weren’t expecting to be so popular.
Roy G Biv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off