LG HU70LA 4K UHD Laser Smart Home Theater CineBeam Projector - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 108 Old 09-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by realperson View Post
how does HU70LA compares to the xiaomi 4k or the lg HU80KA? also the avsforums page says price is 1599, while the first post here says 1799? which one is it, do we know?
HU70LA uses the same 0.47" DMD chip for XPR "4K" as they do, but has an LED light engine and no color wheel. The other two have lasers and traditional color wheels. I've seen the 1799 price quoted mor often, including Engadget, I'd go with that:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/13/...jector-HU70LA/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 108 Old 09-18-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarota View Post
Yes, that's what I said above... but I tried to find information on the laser based JVC LX-NZ 3color wheel, as laser light engines can use them, but couldn't find it. please post if you can!
My mistake. Misread your post.

Jack
post #33 of 108 Old 09-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post
No DLP have ever come close to that, regardless of lamp/light technology.
Generalizations are usually difficult territory, and in this case very problematic. The top two projectors for CR are actually DLP based and far superior performers than JVC's top projector. The problem is that one costs 100K and the other costs about 200k and is the size of a fridge. You may argue that both projectors are too expensive for the common consumer and one of the projectors is too impractical for most HT rooms. Both are reasonable arguments, but neither supports your claim "No DLP have ever come close to that, regardless of lamp/light technology"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post
Also, ANY 1 chip DLP projector has to be based on sequential color/white rendering, which means it won't be rainbow free, no matter what the technology.
This is an interesting argument because there seems to be some question whether anyone has been able to see rainbows in the Benq HT9060 which is LED based. One highly respected reviewer that was critical of many aspects of the Benq basically concluded that it was rainbow free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 108 Old 09-19-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Doesn't this LG compete directly with the latest JVC entry 4K laser. The JVC is $3,700+ and the LG is $1,700. Aside from LED isn't as bright as laser what is missing from the LG compared to the JVC for more than twice the price?
JVC has far better native contrast ratio and can do frame by frame HDR tone mapping. Also greater range of tone mapping plus also being far brighter than LED. In other words: far better than the LG.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
post #35 of 108 Old 09-19-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin GS View Post
Generalizations are usually difficult territory, and in this case very problematic. The top two projectors for CR are actually DLP based and far superior performers than JVC's top projector. The problem is that one costs 100K and the other costs about 200k and is the size of a fridge. You may argue that both projectors are too expensive for the common consumer and one of the projectors is too impractical for most HT rooms. Both are reasonable arguments, but neither supports your claim "No DLP have ever come close to that, regardless of lamp/light technology"

This is an interesting argument because there seems to be some question whether anyone has been able to see rainbows in the Benq HT9060 which is LED based. One highly respected reviewer that was critical of many aspects of the Benq basically concluded that it was rainbow free.
The effect is not the same rainbow effect as a colour wheel system but artifact rainbow is there. I personally saw it constantly on SIM2 LED projector and BenQ too.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
post #36 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
HU70LA uses the same 0.47" DMD chip for XPR "4K" as they do, but has an LED light engine and no color wheel. The other two have lasers and traditional color wheels. I've seen the 1799 price quoted mor often, including Engadget, I'd go with that:
Thanks @ccarota for the info, the price i was mentioning is listed here: www avsforum com/lg-introduces-hu70la-4k-laser-dlp-projector-cedia-2019/ but i did check Engadget link which you posted and lg's website which points to b and h's website, which has it at 1799, so 1799 is the final price it seems. Anyways I am coming from pf1500, do you think 4k XPR would be upgrade to it? not really sure how the XPR thingy works and how it affects the resolution, I am assuming it does some fast pixel shifting, so pixels are still 1080, but just shifted at high speed to cause an impression of getting 4k? maybe i don't get how the technology works for XPR, any help would be appreciated.
post #37 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 11:23 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16172
Quote:
Thanks @ccarota for the info, the price i was mentioning is listed here: www avsforum com/lg-introduces-hu70la-4k-laser-dlp-projector-cedia-2019/ but i did check Engadget link which you posted and lg's website which points to b and h's website, which has it at 1799, so 1799 is the final price it seems. Anyways I am coming from pf1500, do you think 4k XPR would be upgrade to it? not really sure how the XPR thingy works and how it affects the resolution, I am assuming it does some fast pixel shifting, so pixels are still 1080, but just shifted at high speed to cause an impression of getting 4k? maybe i don't get how the technology works for XPR, any help would be appreciated.
Typo... sorry. Price updated to $1799.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #38 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have had a PF1500 for four years. I bought two different .47 4K projectors, the UHL55 and the UHD51a, and returned both of them because the black level and contrast was so much worse than the PF1500. There is some technical reason why but I can't remember what it was. I saw HU80KA at Cedia last year and although the lighting was disappointing, I could clearly see that it had the same problem as the previous two that I mentioned, even though it had the .66 chip. There is no doubt that the 4K picture was a finer resolution picture and the colors were very good, but I couldn't live with the problem I stated before.

This projector may do a better job but I would wait until real reviews are out on it before I made a move. Perhaps LG read Kraine's review on the Xaomi 4K UST where he measures native contrast at 2114+ and dynamic contrast at 2500+. This is new territory for the .47 chip and hopefully signals a breakthrough. Only time will really tell.

Jack
post #39 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Casual 4K living room projectors are getting really affordable. Now if only they made them to support screen sizes larger than 150" for dark room use and offered Dolby Vision... that's when the magic will happen.
post #40 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Typo... sorry. Price updated to $1799.
Thanks @imagic !

Quote:
I have had a PF1500 for four years. I bought two different .47 4K projectors, the UHL55 and the UHD51a, and returned both of them because the black level and contrast was so much worse than the PF1500. <snip>..

This projector may do a better job but I would wait until real reviews are out on it before I made a move. Perhaps LG read Kraine's review on the Xaomi 4K UST where he measures native contrast at 2114+ and dynamic contrast at 2500+. This is new territory for the .47 chip and hopefully signals a breakthrough. Only time will really tell.
Thanks @JackB for the advise. yep will wait till people try it out and see how it compare instead of pre-ordering it, the pf1500 is still going strong for 3rd year now, so not in a hurry to upgrade
post #41 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
XPR works far faster than the eye can perceive and each displayed frame has 3840x2160 displayed pixels. The result is that resolution is far superior to 1080p DLP displays, which in turn are superior to 1080p 3LCD displays. Given equal optics 4K .47in XPR is roughly equal in resolution to "native" 4K displays when displaying actual content. These still frame images give some idea of how 4K .47in XPR compares:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58503890

to 'native' 4K.
post #42 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 01:30 PM
IRJ

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Seems a very nice unit.
Personal preference would be to wait for a 2,000 Lumen unit though.
Does anyone disagree?

Ian
post #43 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks @imagic !

Thanks @JackB for the advise. yep will wait till people try it out and see how it compare instead of pre-ordering it, the pf1500 is still going strong for 3rd year now, so not in a hurry to upgrade
Have you used the Esegan's settings from Page 1 of the 1500 thread? I have updated mine with a new setting from him that makes it even better. They are:

IRE R G B
Low 0 0 0
High -4...-8 / 0 /-20...-25

I have updated Page 1 with these changes.
scoobdude likes this.

Jack
post #44 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
In my experience, having spent time with the BenQ HT5550, BenQ HT9060, Optoma UHZ65, Epson 5040UB, Sony 295ES and JVC RS540, I would rank them on 4K detail and resolution (ONLY) from worst to best as follows:

6. 5040UB (mediocre 3xLCD 1080p Pixel Shifting, mediocre lens, color bleed and enlightenment issues, screen door effect)
5. BenQ HT5550 (0.47" DMD 1080 x4 shifting XPR, decent lens, color wheel)
4. JVC RS540/x790 (good 3xLCD 1080p pixel shifting, decent lens)
3. UHZ65 (0.66" DMD 2x 2716x1528, mediocre lens, color wheel)
2. 295ES (native 4K 3xLCD, decent lens, chroma bleed and alignment issues)
1. HT9060 (0.66" DMD 2x 2716x1528, excellent lens, no color wheel)

Basically, in my opinion, a single 0.47" DLP chip will be sharper than the 1080p 3xLCD because of the alignment issues and color bleed associated with 3LCD. Will 0.47" DLP XPR 4K be an upgrade for your 1080p LED projector? well, a bit, but it's only really worth it if you are adding better contrast and light output as well, otherwise it won't make that big of a difference.

However, if you upgrade to a 0.66" single chip, I believe it can almost match a native 4K 3LCD for sharpness even with a mediocre lens, and can actually beat it when paired with excellent lens optics and no color wheel. This is because of the convergence issues associated with 3 chips vs 1 chip. The BenQ HT9060 with its large single chip XPR, no color wheel, and excellent optics can actually beat the native 4K on the Sony 295ES. Again, this is for resolving 4K resolution only.

Contrast and perceived detail is another matter... in that case, the JVC RS540 and Sony 295ES can give a more compelling image in a dark room given their higher native contrasts.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you are not sensitive to rainbows, I think that the UHZ65 is best combination of 4K detail and contrast implementation, along with good color and brightness uniformity over the life of the projector, all for good price when compared to other lasr or native 4k projectors. If that's too expensive, then the BenQ HT5550 is about 1000 less and is still very good, but its 0.47".

If you are sensitive to rainbows and want the best resolution and contrast, then Sony 295ES is the winner for me, but the JVC RS540 is a better all round package with slightly less resolved 4K detail, but better contrast, a iris and lens memory. I can't recommend the Epson projectors, I just don't like the look of translucent LCD.

The absolute sharpest 4K image you can get will come out of a 4K XPR 0.66" DMD with excellent optics and no color wheel, such as with the LED based BenQT9060/9050. Contrast isn't great, but they actually beat native 3LCD 4K projectors like the Sony 295ES for resolving 4K detail IMO. This video shows what I'm talking about:

Those projectors are probably best for sports and video games in a family rooms with some ambient light setup with an ALR screen. The black levels are unacceptable to some, but for me who is extremely sensitive to rainbows yet hates the 3LCD alignment issues, it's a possible solution. Its too bloody expensive tho lol

Last edited by ccarota; 09-20-2019 at 04:01 PM.
post #45 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Have you used the Esegan's settings from Page 1 of the 1500 thread? I have updated mine with a new setting from him that makes it even better. ...
Thanks @JackB i haven't tried those setting, will give it a try tonight.
post #46 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
In my experience, having spent time with the BenQ HT5550, BenQ HT9060, Optoma UHZ65, Epson 5040UB, Sony 295ES and JVC RS540, I would rank them on 4K detail and resolution (ONLY) from worst to best as follows:
2. 295ES (native 4K 3xLCD, decent lens, chroma bleed and alignment issues)
1. HT9060 (0.66" DMD 2x 2716x1528, excellent lens, no color wheel)
Wow thanks for the detailed explanation @ccarota , Frankly I hadn't looked at any of them except 5040UB which was on deep discount at b and h recently when i found this thread. Anyhow i don't like the lcd look after using dlp projector for sometime now, i am not sure i can put a finger on it but the image looks bit different on lcd and thus didn't go for 5040UB and then i landed on this thread!
ccarota likes this.
post #47 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Wow thanks for the detailed explanation @ccarota , Frankly I hadn't looked at any of them except 5040UB which was on deep discount at b and h recently when i found this thread. Anyhow i don't like the lcd look after using dlp projector for sometime now, i am not sure i can put a finger on it but the image looks bit different on lcd and thus didn't go for 5040UB and then i landed on this thread!
I agree, and Hollywood does too... most movie theaters use 3 chip DLP projectors because of the "look" and motion handling it affords. The Epson projectors are my least favorite of all, while a good value, all translucent LCDs have this kind of milkiness I don't like. Unfortunately, rainbows are an issue with certain single chip DLP implementations, so I'm looking on the horizon for 0.66" DLP with 3xLaser or RGB LED light engines to avoid the traditional color wheel. Cost then becomes the biggest issue, and like the recently announced LG HU85LA, 6000 USD and up is common for this kind of emerging technology. Maybe the HU70LA will be a cheaper but good alternative!

Last edited by ccarota; 09-20-2019 at 04:03 PM.
post #48 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
...Cost then becomes the biggest issue, and like the recently announced LG HU85LA, 6000 USD and up is common for this kind of emerging technology. Maybe the HU70LA will be a cheaper but good alternative!
hoping for same, that HU70LA will be a cheaper but good alternative!
post #49 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
has anyone heard what the "input latency is on the hu70la?
post #50 of 108 Old 09-20-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks @JackB i haven't tried those setting, will give it a try tonight.
I'll certainly be interested in your impressions. Esegan did a complete instrument calibration on it.

Jack
post #51 of 108 Old 09-22-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I'll certainly be interested in your impressions. Esegan did a complete instrument calibration on it.
Wow, the picture is definitely better then the standard setting on projector, Esegan seems really have done a good job on it. Thanks @JackB appreciate your help is getting those settings out there for everyone.
post #52 of 108 Old 09-24-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Sold!

Chemist
post #53 of 108 Old 10-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How is this expected to compare to the epson ls10500? I've been looking at a used ls10500, but the price of this lg is much less and still a laser projector.
post #54 of 108 Old 10-15-2019, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Question

bhphotovideo shows unit is in stock ready to sale ship so any updates reviews ?Does this unit have plastic lens or glass lens ?

Denon 4k avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount at diy 135 inch screen triple 15 boss build .
Pending buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains new 4k lg hu70la projector 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #55 of 108 Old 10-19-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Has anyone seen any reviews on this projector? Buying a projector next month and very interested.
post #56 of 108 Old 10-20-2019, 10:15 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
bhphotovideo shows unit is in stock ready to sale ship so any updates reviews ?Does this unit have plastic lens or glass lens ?
I’d love to know this too. Plastic would be a deal breaker for me as I’ve owned one of these (LG) projectors with a plastic lens and it was flimsy and I did end up scratching it while cleaning. Wasn’t a fun day but I won’t go that route again.
post #57 of 108 Old 10-21-2019, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbottone View Post
I’d love to know this too. Plastic would be a deal breaker for me as I’ve owned one of these (LG) projectors with a plastic lens and it was flimsy and I did end up scratching it while cleaning. Wasn’t a fun day but I won’t go that route again.
Glass lens is preferred but on the other hand my 2014 lg pf1500 has a plastic lens and works good.I use eyewear cloth to clean lens .

How did you damage your projectors plastic lens ?

I just changed my yamaha avr to new 4k capable denon avr.

Denon 4k avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount at diy 135 inch screen triple 15 boss build .
Pending buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains new 4k lg hu70la projector 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp

Last edited by Russell Burrows; 10-21-2019 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to update my sig from yamaha avr to new 4k capable denon avr
post #58 of 108 Old 10-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
Glass lens is preferred but on the other hand my 2014 lg pf1500 has a plastic lens and works good.I use eyewear cloth to clean lens .

How did you damage your projectors plastic lens ?

I just changed my yamaha avr to new 4k capable denon avr.
Somehow I managed to scratch it during cleaning :/
post #59 of 108 Old 10-23-2019, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Anyone here has this unit as yet? It looks like its in stock and shipping at many places in the US. I'm interested as I have an LG PF1500 and this looks like a logical upgrade. Hoping for a brightness increase even though the ANSI lumens on paper look exactly the same.
post #60 of 108 Old 10-23-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyplace View Post
Anyone here has this unit as yet? It looks like its in stock and shipping at many places in the US. I'm interested as I have an LG PF1500 and this looks like a logical upgrade. Hoping for a brightness increase even though the ANSI lumens on paper look exactly the same.

This is a video review:

The review is in German, but you can turn on closed captions and use the autotranslate feature for your language of choice.

It does seem to have a bright image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP