Help choosing Epson 5050 vs 6050 vs NX7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By DRaven72
  • 1 Post By jpolachak
  • 1 Post By rekbones
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
  • 1 Post By Luminated67
  • 1 Post By movieFreak4Real
post #1 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Help choosing Epson 5050 vs 6050 vs NX7

After giving it a lot of thought, I finally decided to purchase a projector mainly for Movies (may be rarely TV/sports). I narrowed it down to these three projectors,
1. Epson 5050 UB
2. Epson 6050 UB
3. JVC NX7

I'm not really a videophile, as such, don't really go about looking how good are blacks or colors. As long as it looks great to my eyes I will be happy with it. Hence, narrowed down to above projectors.

I really need help to see if there are any real world difference in terms of picture quality/sharpness over 5050 vs 6050. So, far the only convincing factor to me is that 6050 is black. Mostly will be used in light controlled basement, gets as dark as I want it to be

Please suggest. I don't really want to consider other projectors atm.

Thank you in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I have seen all 3. There is no contest as it is in a field of its own. NX-7 all the way. True 4K 8 Million pixels vs. 4.15 Million pixels of the Epson shifters. And with the new Firmware coming for the NX-7, it really is a no brainer. Besides, you are way out of the Epson's category throwing that NX-7 in there. Double the price difference.
movieFreak4Real likes this.

Coming Soon~ new gear~ NX-7, 125" 2:35 Cinescope Screen~ 9.2 Atmos System featuring Martin Logan speakers
post #3 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I did a side by side of my brothers NX7 vs. my Epson 5030UB. He said the NX7 was nice but not worth the extra cost. I just bought a 5030 for 400 bucks used. Personally I would get a 5050 and call it a day. Save the extra money. However, with that said I would probably wait a few weeks to see what the new firmware actually does. The HDR settings on the NX7 is hard to get right. If they make it really automatic and it looks great it could be worth the money.

These were compared on a 133" Screen Innovations Fixed 1.3 gain screen. Both at close to the same throw of about 12'-14'

Last edited by jpolachak; 09-17-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 547
In a dedicated blacked out theater and money is of no concern the NX7 all the way. If your putting it in a less then ideal room I thinK the NX7 is a waste of money but again if money is of no concern the NX7. The 5050 is hard to beat value wise but is the 6050 any better, I doubt it but if black is worth it go for it.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
The only way to get a room as black as you want it to be is if the room has dark walls, dark carpet, and a dark ceiling. Otherwise, you really don't have a room that can be 'dark' at all. This is why theaters are painted dark and use dark furnishings.

This is a common mistake for newcomers who think that turning off the lights and having no windows is the same as having full light control.

You have a GIANT flashlight in the room and a HUGE reflector for that flashlight, so reflections matter a great deal and can have significant impact on the image.

That said, you didn't mention room colors, so it's possible that this is painted/treated fully as a space.

If it is not. If this is more of a 'rec-room' area, then the JVC is likely not the way to go. Instead, I would go with the 5050, unless you intend to go with an anamorphic lens, or just REALLY want the black case.

The JVC is the better product. Not even a real question on that. But, it carries a price tag and it requires a certain quality from the room to get the most out of the projector.

Then you have to consider screen size, viewing habits, and some other factors if you really want to be sure the Epson is the best choice. The Optoma UHZ65 isn't a bad choice for those who just want a good image with no lamps to replace and very good quality as well. If it fits the space, it's certainly a heck of an option and may be sharper than either the Epson or the JVC due to the single chip design.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 381
^Great advice there.

Ultimately the NX7 is far superior to either Epson and it would be silly for any of us to argue against this but that doesn’t make it a cut and dry decision because value for money might have to come in to the decision and if that’s the case then you need to way up if that improvement is worth potentially double the cost.

In my opinion if you are not use to JVC’s blacks then the Epson’s image will blow you away, feed it a good quality 4K or HD disc and you’ll be amazed how a projector costing less than $3K can throw such a good picture. This isn’t to say the NX7 is better because it is but then again it’s double the price, money that would buy you a kick ass speaker/amp combination and still have change.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #7 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I finally decided to go with Epson 5050 for now.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieFreak4Real View Post
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I finally decided to go with Epson 5050 for now.
Good choice. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Unread 09-21-2019, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieFreak4Real View Post
If you could be transported to my home cinema room and watch something like Avengers Endgame I think you would know you have made a wise decision. My whole room as it stands cost less than the NX7 and everyone and I mean everyone who has sat in there and watched a movie have been blown away.

Happy viewing mate.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #10 of 10 Unread 09-21-2019, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
If you could be transported to my home cinema room and watch something like Avengers Endgame I think you would know you have made a wise decision. My whole room as it stands cost less than the NX7 and everyone and I mean everyone who has sat in there and watched a movie have been blown away.

Happy viewing mate.
The deal was so tempting I went with 6050ub. After reading what you posted can't wait to get my hands on the pj

Over the years of slowly building my theatre and with this pj it'll take my movie feel to next level. Thanks again for your suggestion and time. Folks like you are the reason avsforum is awesome.
Luminated67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP