New setup: projector and screen advice needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By rekbones
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
  • 2 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-20-2019, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jw131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New setup: projector and screen advice needed

Hello,

I am currently in-construction on a remodel and would love some help in selecting a screen and projector for my living room (image attached) home theater set-up. In my current home, which is a rental, I have a 100" motorized screen, an older model Acer projector (ceiling-mounted), and older Jamo 360 speakers for 5.1 surround. It's been a good system for us, but I know there is better available now.

As I will no longer be in a rental, I have the option of making something even more in line with my style - minimalist and hidden.

SCREEN: I am thinking a motorized in-ceiling screen. The room has 11 foot ceilings. It might be necessary to have quite a bit of empty-black space (is that called drop?) above the screen until it will have descended to the proper viewing level. Is that possible? What screen and size screen would you recommend that won't break the bank?

PROJECTOR: I was thinking the projector could be hidden on a high shelf above the sofa. Those are in our architectural plans, but not in the included drawing. I don't want what I have now - ceiling-mouted in the middle of the room disrupting the clean lines of the ceiling. I will have window treatments to block light, but I would like a projector with better black levels than my current one. What projector would you recommend for this set-up?

AUDIO: On another forum, I inquired about speakers. It was recommended I look at Focal speakers. Would you recommend a specific screen with that audio setup? There is a challenge with the windows, which are 7' high from the floor. And having the projector in-ceiling poses a challenge for the placement of the front-center speaker.

Apologies if I'm providing an extraneous amount of detail. This is new to me, and any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR.png
Views:	37
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	2617936  
jw131313 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 09-21-2019, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,171
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 547
You need to give us your budget as about $500 to $3K is a large range. If shelf mounting you need lens shift and long throw
depending on screen size so selections are limited. I will list what might recommend but a lot more info would help. Some questions like are you going to only use this at night or expect to use it during the day, do you watch in the dark or always want some lights on, do you need 4K support, what content do you primarily watch like movies, sports, general TV or gaming ?

Epson 5050ub most expensive best all around
BenQ 5550 best at 4K poor contrast but good for living rooms
Epson 4010 cheaper then 5050 lower contrast
Epson 5040 refurbished hard to get but best value for the money
Sony 45es 1080p best 1080p projector for the money
Epson 3100/3700 1080p brightest HT class projector under $1k with inexpensive replacement lamps.

They all have their pros and cons and each one is best at one aspect or another.

A drop screen should be tab tensioned but it gets very, very complicated selecting a screen for less then ideal conditions.
jw131313 and AV_Integrated like this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 09-21-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,354
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
In addition to knowing budget numbers for projector and screen, since not all projectors can throw any screen size from any distance the exact throw distance (from front of projector lens to screen surface) and screen size (diagonal in inches) will dictate which projectors can and can't work. Distance from viewers to screen and personal preferences will dictate screen size. So, how far do you sit from your current 100" screen, how far will you be sitting from your new screen and do you have any personal preference for filling more of your field of vision than your current setup?

Also, knowing how high the projector will be in relation to the top of the screen's image area will determine how much lens shift your projector will require. As @rekbones points out the Epson 4000/5000/6000 series has a lens system that can handle longer throws than most and its extensive vertical lens shift works well for sitting high and upright on a shelf at the back of the room. Depending on the fine details of your setup you may or may not need that long a throw or that much vertical lens shift.
jw131313 likes this.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 09-21-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Dave in Green is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 Old 09-22-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jw131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you so much for your replies. These are, of course, excellent things to consider.

Budget and quality: flexible for the right set-up. I actually scored my current projector at a significant discount. I believe it originally retailed for $700 and I got it for $125! That said, it's not the best. I would like something that I could occasionally run during the day, which the one I have now is not the best. Part of that is not having proper window treatments to block light, which my new home will have. Still, I'd like something with better brightness/black levels. I'd like to not spend $3k -- maybe something in the 1-2k range? I'm not sure what price to expect for what I need.

Support: For electronics, I kind of feel like you have to buy with the future in mind without putting yourself in a super-charged system that will quickly become outdated. I think it's probably important to have 4k, and I would be using it to watch movies and television.

Positioning: This is all in flux and flexible to what is needed, as we're currently in construction and finalizing design details. I think a slightly larger screen would be ideal for the space, but any bigger would be uncomfortably large with the viewing distance. Projector to screen will be around 15-16 feet. Viewer to screen is around 13-14 feet. The projector will probably be on a shelf that is 7-8 feet from the floor, but the shelving is probably going to be modular and could be adjusted.


Thank you again for all your help!
jw131313 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 09-22-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,171
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 547
The new soon to be released Epson 3800 might be just the ticket but I would wait for the reviews. As it stands the Epson 4010 would be my best recommendation. No mater how bright FP just doesn't work well if you can't control the ambient light to some extent.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jw131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
The new soon to be released Epson 3800 might be just the ticket but I would wait for the reviews. As it stands the Epson 4010 would be my best recommendation. No mater how bright FP just doesn't work well if you can't control the ambient light to some extent.
Thank you! I'll keep an eye out for it. Looks like it's going to be very reasonably priced too!

Any suggestions on a screen/speaker setup?
jw131313 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,074
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
@jw131313, how much 4K do you watch now? You can get great deals on really good 1080P projectors, and also waiting until after November time frame might help, as newer projectors come out, and you can get a great deal on a used 4K model that would fir your throw range.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jw131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@jw131313, how much 4K do you watch now? You can get great deals on really good 1080P projectors, and also waiting until after November time frame might help, as newer projectors come out, and you can get a great deal on a used 4K model that would fir your throw range.
I don't watch any 4k now because my current projector is very old.

I can hold off purchasing a projector for quite awhile, but will need to decide on a screen soon. It will need to be installed/hung by the contractor when finishing the ceilings. That is still some time away.
jw131313 is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
So, keep in mind that a tab-tensioned screen with custom black drop at the top puts you into more of the mid-tier brand screen manufacturers and you will spend about $2,000-$3,000 very easily on the screen for your room. This is something to bear in mind as these screens aren't cheap. This doesn't include if you go with an exotic screen material, but standard white minimal gain screens. Put a different material on there and you could add a grand or more to the cost easily.

Yes, the screen will be stupid expensive, and needs to be carefully considered in your budgeting of this system. But, a screen can be a 10-20 year purchase while a projector is a 5-7 year (or so) buy. So, spending more can give you several projectors worth of use.

The Epson 3800 is likely the one to wait for to see how it compares to the 4010. The 4010 is decent, but really just not the way I would go if I wanted really good quality. For that, I'd go to the Epson 5050. Still, in a non-dedicated room without dark walls/ceiling/carpet, the 4010 (or 3800) would perhaps be the best choice.

The DLP models out there are limited as you will need lens shift to get the image to fill the screen.

I will refrain from speaker options as I think you need to carefully pick some locations that are possible to use, then ask in a more audio specific section of the forums. Speakers are tough for minimalist designs. Especially if you are avoiding floor standing speakers. In-wall speakers generally aren't a good way to go for best sound quality, but certainly offer the most in terms of minimalist design. In-ceiling is an even worse way to go. Any in-wall/ceiling speakers should keep in mind adjoining spaces which may hear that audio as well.

With about a 13' viewing distance, I would go with at least a 130" - 150" diagonal screen in the 16:9 aspect ratio. Probably a 133" diagonal.

Be aware that the math on screens can be tricky for some. You want to know exactly what screen you will be using, and how much drop you will need. Down to the inch (or so). You should not adjust tab-tensioned screens after you buy them. So, getting a screen with 5' of drop, then adjusting it up to 3' of drop will impact how the screen tensions and may introduce waves to the screen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jw131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
So, keep in mind that a tab-tensioned screen with custom black drop at the top puts you into more of the mid-tier brand screen manufacturers and you will spend about $2,000-$3,000 very easily on the screen for your room. This is something to bear in mind as these screens aren't cheap. This doesn't include if you go with an exotic screen material, but standard white minimal gain screens. Put a different material on there and you could add a grand or more to the cost easily.

Yes, the screen will be stupid expensive, and needs to be carefully considered in your budgeting of this system. But, a screen can be a 10-20 year purchase while a projector is a 5-7 year (or so) buy. So, spending more can give you several projectors worth of use.

The Epson 3800 is likely the one to wait for to see how it compares to the 4010. The 4010 is decent, but really just not the way I would go if I wanted really good quality. For that, I'd go to the Epson 5050. Still, in a non-dedicated room without dark walls/ceiling/carpet, the 4010 (or 3800) would perhaps be the best choice.

The DLP models out there are limited as you will need lens shift to get the image to fill the screen.

I will refrain from speaker options as I think you need to carefully pick some locations that are possible to use, then ask in a more audio specific section of the forums. Speakers are tough for minimalist designs. Especially if you are avoiding floor standing speakers. In-wall speakers generally aren't a good way to go for best sound quality, but certainly offer the most in terms of minimalist design. In-ceiling is an even worse way to go. Any in-wall/ceiling speakers should keep in mind adjoining spaces which may hear that audio as well.

With about a 13' viewing distance, I would go with at least a 130" - 150" diagonal screen in the 16:9 aspect ratio. Probably a 133" diagonal.

Be aware that the math on screens can be tricky for some. You want to know exactly what screen you will be using, and how much drop you will need. Down to the inch (or so). You should not adjust tab-tensioned screens after you buy them. So, getting a screen with 5' of drop, then adjusting it up to 3' of drop will impact how the screen tensions and may introduce waves to the screen.
These are all excellent points to consider! Thank you!

What screen manufacturers do you think I should research? 130-150' diag is what I was considering too. What is a typical good viewing height for a screen?

I found one early review of the 3800 and sounds like the brightness levels make it a better fit than the 4010. But since the projector can be installed later, there's no reason to rush.

Thank you again. Very grateful for all the minds and advice on this forum.
jw131313 is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw131313 View Post
What screen manufacturers do you think I should research? 130-150' diag is what I was considering too. What is a typical good viewing height for a screen?
I think most people put their screens way too high. You want your eyes about 1/3 to 1/2 up from the bottom of the image. This means that you likely want the image about 1' to 2' from the floor for most comfortable viewing results.

Seated viewer at about 48" eyes to floor, maybe lower if leaning back/reclined. A 133" screen is about 65" tall, so call it at least 21" lower to the bottom of the image, so right about 2' from the floor to the bottom of the image.

This is following best practices.

With an in-ceiling screen in use, and 11' ceilings, with 2' from the floor to the bottom of the image the math is as follows:
132" floor to ceiling height.
24" from floor to bottom of 133" diagonal screen.
65" from bottom of screen to top of screen, making top of screen 89" from the floor.
132" - 89" = 43" of black drop needed from flush mounted screen for image to be at proper height.

For screens, I would reach out to Elite, DaLite, and Draper. Elite may be a fair bit less money on certain models, but perhaps not. They also don't have the same material lineup as someone like DaLite will have.
https://elitescreens.com/kcfinder/up.../SMSG_2015.pdf
https://www.draperinc.com/projection.../surfaces.aspx
https://www.legrandav.com/en/product...een%20Surfaces
https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials

For the big bucks, it's always worth mentioning Stewart Filmscreen. Stupid expensive, but you know... it's only money.

My favorite may very well be DaLite. But, they aren't exactly cheap either.

Depending on the design of your front wall, you could build a cover for the screen that acts as a shelf in the room, or put the screen into a soffit which could lower overall cost a bit. But, not a ton.
jw131313 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,354
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
You asked for a screen that wouldn't break the bank, but a large, tab tension electric screen hidden in the ceiling is going to take a big chunk out of your bank account. I don't believe you mentioned why you couldn't go with a fixed screen on the wall. But if you did that you would cut your screen budget more than in half. Fixed screens are a more consistent, reliable design than tab tension electric screens yet cost way less.
gibson61 and AV_Integrated like this.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
As a quick reference, a inexpensive QUALITY tab-tensioned screen is in the $2,000 range for 106". I use a 161" diagonal in-ceiling tab-tensioned model which costs (no less than) about $5,500 online.

It's worth checking Draper's website as they have a nice 'Sizes, Part Numbers, and Prices' section for every single screen. You can then search Google for pricing after you get a part number.

ie: https://www.draperinc.com/projection...il/243/premier

That's their 'cheap' on-wall tab-tensioned model.
Here's some Google results, with pricing a bit over $2K...
https://www.google.com/search?q=drap...=2560&bih=1337

I would build a soffit around it and call it done.

Going fixed frame, with a Silver Ticket or Elite entry level model comes in at a few hundred bucks.

It's certainly a very reasonable aesthetic choice to go with a tab-tensioned recessed screen, but budget accordingly. Sometimes people in the forums get hung up on price as the screen certainly can eat into budget for the rest of the room.
jw131313 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jw131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
You asked for a screen that wouldn't break the bank, but a large, tab tension electric screen hidden in the ceiling is going to take a big chunk out of your bank account. I don't believe you mentioned why you couldn't go with a fixed screen on the wall. But if you did that you would cut your screen budget more than in half. Fixed screens are a more consistent, reliable design than tab tension electric screens yet cost way less.
I cannot do a fixed screen due to window placements. I thought I'd mentioned this, but it can be seen in the image attached to the thread start. I understand it will be expensive, but I also know there is a large range of options and prices. I wish I could do a fixed screen! But unfortunately, I cannot.
jw131313 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jw131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
As a quick reference, a inexpensive QUALITY tab-tensioned screen is in the $2,000 range for 106". I use a 161" diagonal in-ceiling tab-tensioned model which costs (no less than) about $5,500 online.

It's worth checking Draper's website as they have a nice 'Sizes, Part Numbers, and Prices' section for every single screen. You can then search Google for pricing after you get a part number.

ie: https://www.draperinc.com/projection...il/243/premier

That's their 'cheap' on-wall tab-tensioned model.
Here's some Google results, with pricing a bit over $2K...
https://www.google.com/search?q=drap...=2560&bih=1337

I would build a soffit around it and call it done.

Going fixed frame, with a Silver Ticket or Elite entry level model comes in at a few hundred bucks.

It's certainly a very reasonable aesthetic choice to go with a tab-tensioned recessed screen, but budget accordingly. Sometimes people in the forums get hung up on price as the screen certainly can eat into budget for the rest of the room.
Thank you! This sounds like a good option. How is the sound permeability if I have to mount my center speaker behind the screen? Some have suggested I do a phantom center, but I'm worried it'll sound weird -- only one person can sit in the exact center of the viewing area!

Last edited by jw131313; 09-23-2019 at 12:25 PM.
jw131313 is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 09-23-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw131313 View Post
Thank you! This sounds like a good option. How is the sound permeability if I have to mount my center speaker behind the screen? Some have suggested I do a phantom center, but I'm worried it'll sound weird -- only one person can sit in the exact center of the viewing area!
Very bad with the 1.3 gain standard white material, but they do offer some acoustically transparent (AT) screens from that model lineup.

Review fabric options and check the DaLite website and their pricing as well. Not sure what Elite has in terms of a similar product, but likely something.
jw131313 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 09-25-2019, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jw131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow. So got a few prices on screens... They are indeed very very expensive, averaring in the high $4k's to $6k...
One of the manufacturers suggested I could probably get away with not having tab-tension if I don't modify it from the factory settings. What is your expert take on that? It literally cuts the price to less than half.

Obviously the cheapest solution would be an out of the box Elite screen, but the maximum drop they offer is 30".
jw131313 is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 09-26-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mntneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 2,931
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
The new soon to be released Epson 3800 might be just the ticket but I would wait for the reviews. As it stands the Epson 4010 would be my best recommendation. No mater how bright FP just doesn't work well if you can't control the ambient light to some extent.
I've been testing a 4010 for about a week now. For the price point, it's pretty solid option for people, especially in a light controlled room, and the installation is a breeze. Size and weight could be an issue in a smaller room with low ceilings, but so far I've been pleased with it.

Screens can go from very budget minded, to very expensive. It all depends. How are you handling your LCR's? Do you want them behind the screen? Do you want 16:9 or 2.35:1?
Mntneer is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 09-27-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jw131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post
I've been testing a 4010 for about a week now. For the price point, it's pretty solid option for people, especially in a light controlled room, and the installation is a breeze. Size and weight could be an issue in a smaller room with low ceilings, but so far I've been pleased with it.

Screens can go from very budget minded, to very expensive. It all depends. How are you handling your LCR's? Do you want them behind the screen? Do you want 16:9 or 2.35:1?
I will also look at the 4010.

My LCR's will be angled in-ceiling I think. I'm looking at 16:9. Because my ceilings are high (11' 6") I have the challenge of finding/ordering a screen with a large drop to bring it to viewing level.
jw131313 is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 09-27-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw131313 View Post
I don't watch any 4k now because my current projector is very old.

I can hold off purchasing a projector for quite awhile, but will need to decide on a screen soon. It will need to be installed/hung by the contractor when finishing the ceilings. That is still some time away.
Where is your current projector located and what model is it? It might be possible to replace it with a newer projector that can utilize the same ceiling mount, which would simplify installation.

Edit: Are you moving to a new home? I would suggest rearranging the room's furniture layout and making the right hand wall the projection wall and simply painting it with an appropriate paint, rather than using a dedicated, and costly screen.

Last edited by DunMunro; 09-27-2019 at 11:55 AM.
DunMunro is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 09-27-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw131313 View Post
One of the manufacturers suggested I could probably get away with not having tab-tension if I don't modify it from the factory settings. What is your expert take on that? It literally cuts the price to less than half.
I'm not sure which manufacturer suggested that. In 20 years I've yet to see a non-tensioned screen that didn't develop waves in the material within 1-2 years of use. Some come out of the box with curled edges. I had a non-tensioned screen for a few years and it got waves in the material within a year. Not bad, but noticeable, and progressively worse over the years. As well, the more drop you have, the more likely you are to run into curling and waves.

It's frustrating, and as I said, part of the expense if this is a hard requirement.

Lowering the screen to get it in-room, and building a soffit around it, or a casing/shelf to make it more appealing, is a much more budget friendly way to go.
jw131313 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 09-27-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,354
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw131313 View Post
... One of the manufacturers suggested I could probably get away with not having tab-tension if I don't modify it from the factory settings. What is your expert take on that? It literally cuts the price to less than half. ...
From what others have posted on AVS Forum, non-tab-tension electric screens from premium manufacturers (like Stewart Filmscreen for example) are less likely to develop significant waves over time than lower-cost screens. You might want to start a new thread in the Screens section of AVS Forum to ask what experience others have had with premium non-tab-tension electric screens.

Unfortunately you are discovering as others have that the more unusual and restrictive your requirements the fewer the available options and the more costs go up.
jw131313 likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 10-06-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jw131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone,
Thank you for your help. I am close to making a decision/ordering, but finalizing a few details. I have posted about it in the screen forum, but if anyone following this thread has advice. Please share.

Post is here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...expertise.html
jw131313 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off