Epson 7000/3200 4K projector vs full-hd models - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-04-2019, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Epson 7000/3200 4K projector vs full-hd models

Epson is now shipping their new 4K projectors, 7000 (3200) and 7100 (3800). I was happily planning to wait longer for an update but there are some very good looking deals in my area now, and I'm looking for opinions.

My options (just imagine these are dollars if that helps):
* Epson 5650 (2150), 650€
* Epson 6700 (3700), 845€
* Epson 7000 (3200), 845€

The problem is, I can justify each of these:

* First one is a really good deal and should be easily good enough
* Second one is even a better deal, a true and tested model. It *is* better than 5650/2150, right? I'm hard-pressed to find any direct comparisons for some reason.
* The new 7000/3200 is quite similar in specs to 6700/3700, but with 4K for future proofing! Problem: not a single review is to be found. Is there a risk it's not as good with full hd content?

I currently have only full hd video sources, no immediate plans for 4K. Maybe during the life span of the projector though -- my current device is 8 year old 720p BenQ W600+ (which also means that I'm probably very happy with any upgrade I end up choosing).

My room:
* 167" diagonal picture
* 570cm (18.7ft) throw distance
* 1.54 throw ratio. All options can do this
* Only movies, only in dark-ish (because that's all my BenQ can do for 167" picture)
* White non-smooth wall

Any opinions? What would you do? Should I just wait for reviews for 7000/3200 and hope the good offers last long enough? Also, please let me know if there are already reviews/discussion on the new models and I've just missed them in my search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-04-2019, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The problem
Epson 7000 is only rated 40 000 contrast as for EH 5650 and 6700 are rated 60/70 000 in contrast

But 7000/7100 has 4K and HDR

First impresion I read was that the 7000 is a little bit mehh. due to low contras ( unit was not calibrated) But the Epson7100 has 100 000 in contrast and around 400-600 euros more

I am also waiting for reviews on both pj's

good source for reviews, he usaly do epson reviews and other pj's
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog/

/P
post #3 of 7 Old 10-04-2019, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. 7100 is out for me, that's quite a bit above what I'm willing to pay.

Also, I don't want to buy future features by compromising my current use case so I'm looking to get the one that's best for full hd now, 4K would be just a plus. That contrast comment suggests I maybe should leave 7000 out of consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-04-2019, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumes View Post
Thanks for the link. 7100 is out for me, that's quite a bit above what I'm willing to pay.
Quote:

Also, I don't want to buy future features by compromising my current use case so I'm looking to get the one that's best for full hd now, 4K would be just a plus. That contrast comment suggests I maybe should leave 7000 out of consideration.
If you have white walls your contrast is getting kicked in the teeth anyway. I'd lean towards looking at the 7,000 with a place that has a generous return policy. Most streaming you do will be in 4K and it appears you like to hold on to projectors for a while. If you aren't going with the 7,000 the second model you listed is far superior to the first with a minimal financial investment. The decision between those two is a no brainer.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
If you aren't going with the 7,000 the second model you listed is far superior to the first with a minimal financial investment.
Thanks for the input! I'll at least pass on the 5650 then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
If you have white walls your contrast is getting kicked in the teeth anyway. I'd lean towards looking at the 7,000 with a place that has a generous return policy. Most streaming you do will be in 4K and it appears you like to hold on to projectors for a while.
The offer for 7000 is only directly from Epson (Germany/Austria), I reckon they'll give the usual mandated 14 day return policy. But as said I'm pretty sure I wouldn't return it: I only have the old BenQ to compare against so I'll likely be perfectly happy with the first replacement I get.

I likely won't paint the wall, as it's the main wall of my living room. Might be a bit too much. So the white what I have, a screen of this size wouldn't really be an option either. I guess there are whites designed for projector use too, though?

All streaming is currently full hd only as that's what Chromecast supports. Future is 4K sure, but I'm a bit of a late adopter. 4K would likely be quite mature in 5-8 years when the time to update comes again 🙂
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I bought the EH-TW7000 model (HC3200). The IFA offer was just too good to pass.

I love the device. As expected, it's a major upgrade over my old 720p BenQ. Lens shift really is helpful, allows for more flexible image sizing so I was able to increase my picture from 167" to 178". This projector has no issues whatsoever to light up that much wall. It even works at daylight, which is a new one to me, though I doubt I'll use this option as all the blacks are obviously missing in daytime use.

I doubt the difference in contrast to the 7100 model is all that big, though we'll have to wait until someone does a proper review between these two. Missing speakers is a plus so I don't have to mute the projector all the time.

I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of comparison to any relevant models that I could provide. You can find some useful comparisons to 6600 and 6700 at hifi-forum.de/viewthread-94-15957.html (sorry, too little forum karma to make that a clickable link).
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
I bought the EH-TW7000 model (HC3200). The IFA offer was just too good to pass.

I love the device. As expected, it's a major upgrade over my old 720p BenQ. Lens shift really is helpful, allows for more flexible image sizing so I was able to increase my picture from 167" to 178". This projector has no issues whatsoever to light up that much wall. It even works at daylight, which is a new one to me, though I doubt I'll use this option as all the blacks are obviously missing in daytime use.

I doubt the difference in contrast to the 7100 model is all that big, though we'll have to wait until someone does a proper review between these two. Missing speakers is a plus so I don't have to mute the projector all the time.

I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of comparison to any relevant models that I could provide. You can find some useful comparisons to 6600 and 6700 at hifi-forum.de/viewthread-94-15957.html (sorry, too little forum karma to make that a clickable link).

Not that you needed my approval but I think you made a GREAT choice. As more and more content is going to be available in 4K you will be able to experience and enjoy it. Probably right the contrast difference isn't all that big from the 3800 but the jump over the 2150 is pretty substantial in that regard. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page