AVS Forum banner

HDMI question regarding projector upgrade

552 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  skylarlove1999 
#1 ·
Making the upgrade from an Epson 3700 to either an Epson 5050 or 3800. My HDMI cable in was put in (basement finish pre-wire) in 2015 with the instructions to put in the best cable we could at the time with a 25 foot run. Although they didn't (regrettably) run a conduit they did put in Cat 5 cabling so we could at least use an HMDI extender on either end. My question is one of necessity as I'd rather save the $500ish dollars to have them come out and reconnect the ends and buy the extender. The only thing I'll being watching differently with a new 4K projector (please no e-shift discussion) now is 4K discs or streaming from my Apple TV. I won't be doing any gaming and can't think of when or how I would need 4K HDR @ 60. So the question is will the current HMDI work fine for normal 4K HDR from discs and Apple TV? IF not, what is being compromised in the transfer. Thanks again for the expertise and help to all who contribute.

#3 ·
I feel for your situation. Not sure anyone can accurately provide an answer besides the installer ,if he keeps records of the HDMI cable he installed. We just don't know what type of signal your HDMI cable is capable of carrying.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As best I could read the tiny fine print on the part of the cable that is exposed to the projector its:
Binary high speed HDMI with ethernet CL2 28AWG

#10 ·
That cable is unlikely to work with 4k/ hdr but worth a try before spending money. Your solution is a signal restorer. Ethereal HDM-GA1 or GA2 if it is shipping yet. Crutchfield has a good price on it.

ALL Cat5/6 solutions for 4K/HDR use compression and decrease picture quality, some more than others but ALL have some decrease in quality. The reason is cat6 cable is simply not capable of that bandwidth.

For those doing projects like this in the future, run 2" conduit!!! That way you can change to a better cable or solution if needed.

#11 ·
That cable is unlikely to work with 4k/ hdr but worth a try before spending money. Your solution is a signal restorer. Ethereal HDM-GA1 or GA2 if it is shipping yet. Crutchfield has a good price on it.

ALL Cat5/6 solutions for 4K/HDR use compression and decrease picture quality, some more than others but ALL have some decrease in quality. The reason is cat6 cable is simply not capable of that bandwidth.

For those doing projects like this in the future, run 2" conduit!!! That way you can change to a better cable or solution if needed.

Correct and I'm not very pleased about there not being conduit. That would have been too easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.