Epson Projector LCD Panel Alignment and or Convergence - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Epson Projector LCD Panel Alignment and or Convergence

I just recently purchased a used Epson 6020ub projector. It had quite a few Dust globs, so I took it apart and blew off the LCD panels and lenses, etc (used hand pump air not compressed air). That was a little nerve racking, but it worked perfectly. All my dust globs are gone and the picture looks great. I put a new lamp in as well which really helped with brightness, etc...

I am finally starting to work on the panel alignment and I just cant seem to get things to converge correctly. I am wondering if when I cleaned the projector I did something inside that took it out of alignment and now the onscreen convergence alignment is not as effective.

I start the process by doing all the corners and that seems to work relatively good. I start with red on the RGB screen grid, then I move the blue and do the corners. At this point the screen seems okay. But as you move to the center of the screen the alignment gets worse. So I try to use the intersection part of the on screen alignment and that seems to help but I can't get it perfect. I mean I know it wont be perfect, but on some of the grids the red is way off to the right. When I move the intersection to the left it doesn't seem to be moving the red line at all.

I feel like i am doing something incorrect here? Maybe I am looking at the wrong part of the screen when I am moving the cross hair? Am I supposed to be trying to get the lines to turn white and line up, is the yellow box supposed to be my reference, or am I trying to get the red crosshair to line up with the red offset line on screen?

I will try and take some pics and see if I can explain/show it better.... Ultimately the image looks great and movies are spectacular, but I knwo tehre is room for improvements. And of course I an live with what I have. This projector was always intended to be an interim projector until I decide when I want to jump to 4K or something else upgraded. INterim is a few years for me, so I would liek to have it look its best during that time.

Just a side note i am somewhat familiar with convergence because I used to have an old JVC I'Art pro tv which I had to adjust quite frequently, and my Uncles 65" mitsubishi from back in the day would need adjustment as well.

Maybe this has been addressed already, I have been trying to find info on this but not much luck and the lack of videos on youtube are astonishing. Any help or comments is appreciated.

Denon x4400h, Sony x700, Klipsch Pro in-wall/ceiling, JBL 12" Subwoofer, Epson 6020ub, Roku Ultra, Logitech Harmony Hub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Hi,

Yes, I think we'll need photos. In a situation where the convergence isn't perfect, the lens (and the use of lens shift) may accentuate the misalignment in some areas of the screen more than others, the same way focus can be uneven with an unperfect lens. By the way, is the focus uniform? By your description, it seems to be worse than it should. Convergence correction should always be minimal and it usually comes down to choosing the lesser of 2 evils, one of which at least won't be noticeable at normal viewing distance. Do you need to adjust both red and blue?

P.S.: It's very unlikely (I would say impossible) that you caused any convergence problems by cleaning the panels with air.

Last edited by descalabro; 10-19-2019 at 06:39 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey,

Sorry for hijacking the thread but here's the convergence I've got with a new TW7400 unit.
Wonder if I should return it while I can or is it the best results I can get and a replacement unit will have the same issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-03 23.30.02.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2636090   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-03 23.29.35.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2636092  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-04-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWr View Post
Hey,

Sorry for hijacking the thread but here's the convergence I've got with a new TW7400 unit.
Wonder if I should return it while I can or is it the best results I can get and a replacement unit will have the same issues?
Convergence is a matter of luck, most of the times. Even projectors with good quality control often come with their convergence at least a bit off. But since yours looks really bad, I'd say it's likely you'll get a better one if you ask for a replacement.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #5 of 7 Old 11-04-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Convergence is a matter of luck, most of the times. Even projectors with good quality control often come with their convergence at least a bit off. But since yours looks really bad, I'd say it's likely you'll get a better one if you ask for a replacement.
Apparently there's an option hidden in the menu (Extended -> Display -> Panel Alignment) to adjust panels, as suggested in another thread.
All the screenshots out there in the Internet showed it one level higher (Extended -> Panel Alignment), which was not there for me, so I got an impression that this model doesn't have this feature.

Now I'm happy again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-04 20.35.18.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	850.0 KB
ID:	2636408   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-04 20.25.53.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2636410  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-04-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWr View Post
Apparently there's an option hidden in the menu (Extended -> Display -> Panel Alignment) to adjust panels, as suggested in another thread.

All the screenshots out there in the Internet showed it one level higher (Extended -> Panel Alignment), which was not there for me, so I got an impression that this model doesn't have this feature.

Now I'm happy again

That’s great. I was not aware this projector has this feature either. Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #7 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 54
DannyD13, I feel your pain, I'm fighting with a 3500 model, that was dropped. Lens mounting base cracked. Red in on one side, and blue on the other of the white line. I'm trying to figure out, what else could I do to it.
I have glued together the base, but after that I had one side of the image nice and crisp and the other a bit blurry.
I have added some washers as spacers behind the lens, to compensate for the crookedness. It is almost perfect.
Unfortunately, this did not help with convergence issue.

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-160M,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800II-Atmos,Klipsch R115SW,Klipsch R110SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page