Wemax 300 horrible picture noise during playback. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-20-2019, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Wemax 300 horrible picture noise during playback.

So I received a Wemax A300 about a week ago, I noticed during a scene of a 4k movie that there was loads of noise in the image. I checked the same footage on my laptop and it looks perfect.

I have now played serval clips and when I look somewhat closely I can see a large pixelation/artifacting as well as image noise. It seems to be worse with some colours.

Here are a couple of pictures showing what I mean:

Does anyone have any idea whats causing this?

I have tested in multiple video players, and played back direct from the PJ and also from a Shield. I tried also turning off HDR but nothing made a difference.

Edit: Now I'm looking at this more closely I realise the pixelation/artifacting/noise is everywhere, even on the boot image. I just did a factory reset and I can see it in the image displayed whilst the PJ is resetting...

Last edited by Mega_Maniac; 10-20-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-21-2019, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ok... so in an odd twist 4k video played back from Youtube has none of this artifacting... if I look up the same video that plays back with significant noise played locally it looks absolutely fine on the Youtube playback even though it is much more compressed.

So, beginning to think there is a fault with whatever chip is decoding the video for the projector.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-21-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, think I may have this figured out.

I tried playing back in MX Player via software decoder, noise still there - so that poo pood my hardware decoding fault idea.

I had another look at the movie I was trying to play back. It's an mkv of a blu ray in mp4 format (For a movie I own for clarities sake). I whacked the brightness right up on my laptop and scaled it to 100% and I can see there is infact noise in the image, but hiding behind a better calibrated display which wasn't exacerbating the noise.

Once the projector had it's brightness turned way down, sharpness way down and contrast tweaked a little it is much better.I had requested a Banggood return but if I can fix this just by fiddling with the calibration then I may end up keeping it... it's just a shame it is SO bad out of the box, and I'm still struggling to get a decent picture that retains details in the shadows whilst not adding a ton of noise to the mids and highs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-21-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 1194
A big test is not to see how good you can get garbage to look. That is, get a 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc and play it back and do all your calibrations based upon the quality of the highest possible source you are feeding it.

If you are working with 4K MKV files, make sure they are in the 30GB+ range, as that's a proper encode. If you have a sub 10GB 4K movie, then that's not going to represent nearly what the quality of that movie offers. Things in the 2GB range represent what a compressed DVD would look like. Yeah, it'll be better than DVD, but really, not really.

Nobody can tell you how that MKV was actually encoded. But, odds are darn good that if it is a MP4 file under 50GB, then it was reencoded by whatever free software was available and may represent a serious quality falloff from the original.

All my MKV encodes tend to be 1:1 copies with zero additional re-encoding, and I don't even bother at this point with my 4K discs.

My Blu-ray Discs look exceptional on my projector and all my displays in my home.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-22-2019, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yea thats the thing, this was a 90GB copy which is why I was so sure it was a good source to use as a test.

The 4k demo file I was using was this one: https://4kmedia.org/sony-bravia-uhd-hdr-4k-demo/ - again it's bitrate should be high enough to prevent obvious artifacting.

I'm now trying to decide if the image is good enough as is... when I have the PJ set up to 'solve' this issue the resulting image gives a very dim set of menus and struggles much more under an open window or ceiling light, I'm not sure how normal this is.

I have an i1 Display Pro so I'm going to see if I can calibrate it to some extent today.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-23-2019, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

So just to add a bit more to this...

Using Light Illusion Calimages the 'correct' settings after using the brightness and contrast calibration images are more or less what the settings were from the factory. At these settings the noise is awful, like watching a compressed 720p feed. I think the noise exists in the source footage but this projector is doing a god awful job or processing the image and making any noise looks simply awful. I haven't bothered to calibrate the colours with my i1 Display Pro as none of the built in 'cool', 'warm' etc colour modes make any difference, and this OOB experience is IMO unacceptable.

Turning down the brightness until it goes away is no option at all really, so hopefully Bang Good wont jerk me around. Their initial email at least sounds very encouraging, so fingers crossed. This may well have stung me enough to fork out another 50% for the Optoma.

I would be truly interested to know if anyone else with this projector has noticed any artifacting and/or noise.

Last edited by Mega_Maniac; 10-23-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page