Ultra Short Throw Furniture question... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Ultra Short Throw Furniture question...

Hey Guys,

As I'm planning for my first UST projector, I'm realizing I may not have enough vertical clearance because my current console/credenza is a bit too high. My question is... does a UST projector work if its left and right sides are blocked? I'd like to modify my credenza so that there is a center slot to put the projector in. Here is an illustration:

Click image for larger version

Name:	credenza.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2635816

Would that work? Please advise, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Like all projectors the light emits from the lens and travels out in an expanding cone shape. So what can be at the sides has to be outside the cone or you will have some of your image shadowed.

Without knowing dimensions and how high the projector will sit in your case it is impossible to say.

Bud
post #3 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3833 Post(s)
Liked: 3032
There must be a clear field of view from the projector lens to every square inch of the screen. In your drawing, take a straight edge and draw straight lines from where the UST projector lens will be located to just clear the top inside edges of the left and right inside high corners of the credenza center slot and extend the straight lines up onto the wall. The bottom left and right corners of the screen must be within these two straight lines wherever they may fall on the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. For UST, the light also shoots up too, right? So it shoots UP and Expands in cone like pattern? I think I'll trial and error situating the projector at similar heights before cutting into furniture.

I have 92 clearance from floor to bottom of crown molding. My credenza is 22 high. Which is good for 100 inch screen, but not 120. I'm trying to go 120 to avoid feeling I need to upgrade down the line.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by moctodavs View Post
Thanks guys. For UST, the light also shoots up too, right? So it shoots UP and Expands in cone like pattern? I think I'll trial and error situating the projector at similar heights before cutting into furniture.

I have 92 clearance from floor to bottom of crown molding. My credenza is 22 high. Which is good for 100 inch screen, but not 120. I'm trying to go 120 to avoid feeling I need to upgrade down the line.
It shouldn’t be about screen size it should be about seating distance and proper immersion at that distance.

TV has kind of lured us into bigger is always better because we have always watched it under-immersive.

Mocking it up with piles of books or boxes is a good way to figure it out.

Bud
post #6 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Counting frame a 120" 16:9 Silver Ticket screen is 64" tall. You have 70" between the top of the credenza and the crown molding. If the top of the screen frame is flush with the crown molding the bottom of the screen frame would be 6" above the top of the credenza. The screen's image area is 59" tall so the bottom of the image area would be 8.5" above the top of the credenza. That's probably not quite enough clearance but you shouldn't need to put too deep a recess into the credenza to get the correct projector height. Once you have the projector you'll be able to set the projector on top of the credenza and throw a 120" image on the wall and that will tell you exactly how deep the recessed area needs to be.

Just to give you an idea, when projectorcentral.com reviewed the LG HU85LA 4K UST laser projector they said the bottom of the image was 14" above the top of the platform they had it sitting on. But of course this distance will vary from model to model of UST projector.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Counting frame a 120" 16:9 Silver Ticket screen is 64" tall. You have 70" between the top of the credenza and the crown molding. If the top of the screen frame is flush with the crown molding the bottom of the screen frame would be 6" above the top of the credenza. The screen's image area is 59" tall so the bottom of the image area would be 8.5" above the top of the credenza. That's probably not quite enough clearance but you shouldn't need to put too deep a recess into the credenza to get the correct projector height. Once you have the projector you'll be able to set the projector on top of the credenza and throw a 120" image on the wall and that will tell you exactly how deep the recessed area needs to be.

Just to give you an idea, when projectorcentral.com reviewed the LG HU85LA 4K UST laser projector they said the bottom of the image was 14" above the top of the platform they had it sitting on. But of course this distance will vary from model to model of UST projector.
I'm looking at the ALR CLR screens from Elite. The 120 is 60 inches high, so that will give me a little more room than the Silver Ticket.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-04-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm looking at the ALR CLR screens from Elite. The 120 is 60 inches high, so that will give me a little more room than the Silver Ticket.
Right, if you go from 2.5" screen borders to .5" screen borders the screen's image area can be 2" higher and require 2" less recess depth.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-05-2019, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hey Guys,

As I'm planning for my first UST projector, I'm realizing I may not have enough vertical clearance because my current console/credenza is a bit too high. My question is... does a UST projector work if its left and right sides are blocked? I'd like to modify my credenza so that there is a center slot to put the projector in. Here is an illustration:

Attachment 2635816

You need numbers to solve it out.

post #10 of 13 Old 11-05-2019, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Attachment 2635816

Hope this maybe useful to you

post #11 of 13 Old 11-06-2019, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liet Hoang View Post
Hope this maybe useful to you

Thank you.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-06-2019, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Guys, I've also seen high end UST furniture similar to my mock-up, but with glass on top and the UST beams through the glass. Could I "DIY" the same at home? Or is that a special glass they use? Here's an example... https://aegisav.com/product/apollo/
post #13 of 13 Old 11-07-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any glass you project through would need to be lens quality glass. Any lesser quality glass would introduce some degree of distortion and artifacts. Different people have different tolerance levels for compromised images, so what you're willing to tolerate isn't predictable.

Note that the premium furniture you linked to features active cooling. That's because when a glass top is used over a UST projector it will trap heated air and raise the operating temperature of the projector, which can lead to premature failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
credenza , tv stand , ust projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page