UDH50 vs HT3550 vs Something I have not considered - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
UDH50 vs HT3550 vs Something I have not considered

I am beginning to shop for a new projector if I can resurrect my Vango.

Having been bitten by the "boutique" company a couple of times, this time I want to go more main stream.

My eyes are not what they used to be so while I want good picture quality, the standard is not quite as high as it used to be.

I have been checking and as far as bang for the buck, this range of projectors offers the positioning flexibility I want and a good image.

I have a mostly darkened theater. (had a dedicated in the last place we lived) The Vango has been just fine in there but now I have one last effort to fix it but am not hopeful.

I am looking at the Optoma UDH50 and Benq HT3550. My projector sits at about 12 feet on a PJ stand center of screen. If we move, I would want to mount this on the ceiling.

I have been a DLP guy since day one but would consider other things based on the benefits.

This has always been a good community so, I value your inputs.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 81
ViewSonic LS700-4K, dropping this month. 4k laser, 3500 lumens.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post

Having been bitten by the "boutique" company a couple of times, this time I want to go more main stream.

My eyes are not what they used to be so while I want good picture quality, the standard is not quite as high as it used to be.

I have been checking and as far as bang for the buck, this range of projectors offers the positioning flexibility I want and a good image.

I have a mostly darkened theater. (had a dedicated in the last place we lived) The Vango has been just fine in there but now I have one last effort to fix it but am not hopeful.

I am looking at the Optoma UDH50 and Benq HT3550. My projector sits at about 12 feet on a PJ stand center of screen. If we move, I would want to mount this on the ceiling.

I have been a DLP guy since day one but would consider other things based on the benefits.

Kevin
What does darkened theater mean?
Wall/ceiling color?

How large is the screen, what format?
Fabric?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
Both the UHD50 and HT3550 are ‘shorter’ throw projectors. From 12 feet they are going to produce a pretty large image. How big is your screen?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The screen is 110" Stewart Studiotek 130 16:9 The walls are dark wood and ceiling is white. I get some light leak on sunny days as the shades in this rental are not the black out shades I put in our previous house where I built a dedicated theater. Not a cave but pretty dark. I do miss my theater that I had to leave in Anchorage.

In my current set up the now dying Vango is only about 800 lumens and works just fine for my needs. I know that both these projectors claim more than double the output. Both the online calculators get close to 12 feet at 110". (give or take.) I can move my screen or the PJ stand to accommodate I am more concerned about the picture quality.

MJ Doom what is the proposed price of the Viewsonic?
post #6 of 13 Old 11-04-2019, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The screen is 110" Stewart Studiotek 130 16:9 The walls are dark wood and ceiling is white. I get some light leak on sunny days as the shades in this rental are not the black out shades I put in our previous house where I built a dedicated theater. Not a cave but pretty dark. I do miss my theater that I had to leave in Anchorage.

In my current set up the now dying Vango is only about 800 lumens and works just fine for my needs. I know that both these projectors claim more than double the output. Both the online calculators get close to 12 feet at 110". (give or take.) I can move my screen or the PJ stand to accommodate I am more concerned about the picture quality.

MJ Doom what is the proposed price of the Viewsonic?
That Viewsonic is between 2200-2500$.

Besides the HT3550 and the UHD50 and variants (UHD51/51A) there are some Epson models that could work:
The newly released HC3200 and HC3800, and the HC4010.
All have lens shift (the 4010 has motorized lens shift), are bright which could help with the ambient light.
The 4010 has a 10GB HDMI chip, so no 4K + 60Hz + HDR, which is mostly a gaming requirement. It also has DCI P3 support. It's heavy at ~25lbs.
The 3200/3800 do not have DCI P3 support, are limited to Rec.709.
DLP's have better motion handling.
Both the HT3550 and UHD50 have DCI-P3 support.
DCI-P3 support is enabled via a filter which reduces the light output, by 30-40%. The extended color gamut is worth it if HDR material is used, either via streaming or UHD discs.

A more refined version of the HT3550 is the HT5550. It has lens shift.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Benq-HT5550-review.htm

Last edited by noob00224; 11-04-2019 at 05:25 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-04-2019, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
That Viewsonic is between 2200-2500$.

Besides the HT3550 and the UHD50 and variants (UHD51/51A) there are some Epson models that could work:
The newly released HC3200 and HC3800, and the HC4010.
All have lens shift (the 4010 has motorized lens shift), are bright which could help with the ambient light.
The 4010 has a 10GB HDMI chip, so no 4K + 60Hz + HDR, which is mostly a gaming requirement. It also has DCI P3 support. It's heavy at ~25lbs.
The 3200/3800 do not have DCI P3 support, are limited to Rec.709.
DLP's have better motion handling.
Both the HT3550 and UHD50 have DCI-P3 support.
DCI-P3 support is enabled via a filter which reduces the light output, by 30-40%. The extended color gamut is worth it if HDR material is used, either via streaming or UHD discs.

A more refined version of the HT3550 is the HT5550. It has lens shift.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Benq-HT5550-review.htm
Thank you. Have you seen these projectors in action? How does the picture quality compare?
post #8 of 13 Old 11-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you. Have you seen these projectors in action? How does the picture quality compare?
I have seen neither of these personally.
They're all good quality.
The Epsons are brighter, but don't have the motion handling of the DLP's. The HC4010 since it's brighter can do HDR better.
The HT5550 is an superior version of the HT3550.
Comparison between the HT3550 and HC3800:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58718424
post #9 of 13 Old 11-04-2019, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
I have seen neither of these personally.
They're all good quality.
The Epsons are brighter, but don't have the motion handling of the DLP's. The HC4010 since it's brighter can do HDR better.
The HT5550 is an superior version of the HT3550.
Comparison between the HT3550 and HC3800:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58718424
Thanks for the input and the link. I still have one more try at fixing my current PJ but since we use it every day, I don't want to be without for too long. I have always had DLP projectors. I have picked them every time in demos. I don't do gaming so that is not a player. We do watch some sports so the motion can be an issue. Going back to lamps from LED will give a a little pause every time I leave the PJ on for a bit but the savings in lamps over the years with the Vango has not panned out. For what it cost, I had expected the Vango to be more reliable. It has been in to service a couple of times and I have replaced part a couple of times. I can turn the technology more often if I move to lower-cost projectors.

Kevin
post #10 of 13 Old 11-04-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

Kevin
I have posted my experiences with the UHD50 here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58215452

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58387974

but there's some additional posts over several pages.

This video review may be of interest:

I haven't seen the HT3550 but based upon reviews, I would suggest that it might be preferable for it's P3 colour if your screen size is under ~100in and for larger screens the UHD50 might be preferable because it is somewhat brighter.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-04-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 680
You may want to look at the Epson 5050ub and the BenQ Ht5550.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-04-2019, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 81
@PhotoKevin IMO going from a .95 DLP LED projector to a .47 DLP lamp projector is a step backwards. If you don't care about HDR, I would look into a BENQ 9050, .66 DLP 4K HLD LED projector with a world class lens, excellent color and build quality. Will fit your placement requirements.

https://www.benqdirect.com/ht9050.html?fee=29&fep=1471

BENQ has a 30 day return policy if bought directly from them.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
@PhotoKevin IMO going from a .95 DLP LED projector to a .47 DLP lamp projector is a step backwards. If you don't care about HDR, I would look into a BENQ 9050, .66 DLP 4K HLD LED projector with a world class lens, excellent color and build quality. Will fit your placement requirements.

https://www.benqdirect.com/ht9050.html?fee=29&fep=1471

BENQ has a 30 day return policy if bought directly from them.
I too have that concern but hoped that the increase in pixels would cover part of that issue. In a cash-flow situation for the next little bit but, having trouble living without a projector. I have one more shot this weekend to get the Vango up and running.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page