I'm torn - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm torn

Tariffs are driving prices up right now. I just found out about the TK850, which appears to be exactly what I want, but I'm concerned about the cost.

The HD39HDR is a very intriguing alternative. It is bright, accepts 4K and downsamples it, does HDR, and has great input lag. I'm just wondering, and nobody is addressing this, if the downsampled 4K signal is a real downgrade from a pixel shifter or not. Nobody has addressed this at all. I've seen a guy on YouTube playing on that projector and it looks great. It has a great price as well. But how does it compare to a pixel shifter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Pastora View Post
Tariffs are driving prices up right now. I just found out about the TK850, which appears to be exactly what I want, but I'm concerned about the cost.

The HD39HDR is a very intriguing alternative. It is bright, accepts 4K and downsamples it, does HDR, and has great input lag. I'm just wondering, and nobody is addressing this, if the downsampled 4K signal is a real downgrade from a pixel shifter or not. Nobody has addressed this at all. I've seen a guy on YouTube playing on that projector and it looks great. It has a great price as well. But how does it compare to a pixel shifter?
It certainly is a downgrade in terms of resolution, but so is the Epson e-shift and many people seem content with that. Honestly HDR + 1080P DLP is still going to be very sharp and many of today's top '4K' BD releases were actually mastered in 2K so there isn't much increase in resolution between the 1080p HD BD and the UHD BD of the same film, but the UHD version will probably have superior colour and contrast which the HD39HDR can take advantage of.

Having said that, 4K BD mastered in 4K can be spectacular with a true 4K PJ.

Last edited by DunMunro; 11-08-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement