Is a non working RS40u worth anything? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is a non working RS40u worth anything?

I found a DLA-RS40u, non working, for sale. Is it worth trying to get working? It may just be a bulb or more serious. I figure if it's a ballast I can try to replace the mosfets and if it still doesn't work I will be SOL. They are asking $100. They say that when they got it it was supposed to be working but when they tried to turn it on the lamp would not come on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Hi,

Try to get more info about this projector before you buy it. Such as the LED error pattern. A dead ballast is usually middle light blinking regularly orange and two other lights static red. It could be other things, however, but the ballast issue is the most common problem of this model. If you pay 100$ for it, it’s worth spending another 100$ or so to get the ballast fixed. That’s how I got my RS50, and it was totally worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #3 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Hi,

Try to get more info about this projector before you buy it. Such as the LED error pattern.

The lights are left and right sold red and middle blinking yellow 3 times then pause then 3 times etc...

Where did you get the ballast fixed for $100?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBonge View Post
The lights are left and right sold red and middle blinking yellow 3 times then pause then 3 times etc...

Where did you get the ballast fixed for $100?
Hi,

I'm_sure_the_ballast_issue_is_identified_by_middle _light_blinking_orange_and_other_two_static_red,_a lthough_I_can't_recall_if_it's_a_continuous_blink_ or_a_sequence_of_3_blinks_with_an_interval.On_the_ other_hand,_the_same_code_can_apply_to_several_dif ferent_issues,_as_the_manual_indicates_on_page_17_ that_your_light_pattern_indicates_an_opened_lamp_c over_(which_obviously_isn't_the_case).

Anyway,_if_nother_lamp_has_already_been_tried,_it' s_very_likely_that_the_issue_is_indeed_the_ballast ,_as_it's_a_very_common_issue_on_models_of_that_ge neration_and_the_next.

I_suggest_you_send_a_message_to @Slonopot

He_lives_in_Russia_and_will_fix_your_ballast_for_a _fair_price._He's_very_professional_and_usually_do es_the_repair_quickly._The_price_I_paid_was_in_eur os,_and_I_don't_know_if_the_price_is_the_same_nowa days.

Meanwhile,_here's_a_guide_I_made_on_how_to_remove_ the_ballast_on_a_JVC_X70_(RS55)._It's_not_the_same ,_but_it_will_help_you_for_general_guidance:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IPO...ew?usp=sharing

Sorry_for_this_way_of_writting,_I_have_some_proble ms_with_my_sapce_bar.
I_tried_to_reply_to_your_message,_but_maybe_becaus e_of_this_way_of_writting,_it_failed_to_send.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #5 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi,

I'm_sure_the_ballast_issue_is_identified_by_middle _light_blinking_orange_and_other_two_static_red,_a lthough_I_can't_recall_if_it's_a_continuous_blink_ or_a_sequence_of_3_blinks_with_an_interval.On_the_ other_hand,_the_same_code_can_apply_to_several_dif ferent_issues,_as_the_manual_indicates_on_page_17_ that_your_light_pattern_indicates_an_opened_lamp_c over_(which_obviously_isn't_the_case).

Thanks for the info. I looked at page 17 and saw the error codes. It looks like it is indicating "Abnormal Electrical Circuit" so I think this is a paper weight at this point and will stay away from it.

I am going to save up for the Epson HC 3800 to replace my aging Sanyo PLV-Z3000 instead of looking for a used projector.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm... I think you mean the code of 2 lamps blinking, not one. I would bet the JVC you’re looking at has a faulty ballast. Anyway, the Epson 3800 is meant for a completely different situation than the JVC X3. The JVC is meant to be used to watch movies in a black room, the Epson is more of a living room, multi purpose projector. So maybe this means you need to think about what you need the projector for. Good luck.

post #7 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm... I think you mean the code of 2 lamps blinking, not one. I would bet the JVC you’re looking at has a faulty ballast. Anyway, the Epson 3800 is meant for a completely different situation than the JVC X3. The JVC is meant to be used to watch movies in a black room, the Epson is more of a living room, multi purpose projector. So maybe this means you need to think about what you need the projector for. Good luck.

The light are left and right solid red, middle blinking 3 times. I already told him I don't want it though.

Currently I have a Sanyo PLV-Z3000, got it in 2009. The room is light controlled, dark walls, no windows. We use it 25% video games or youtube with dim lights. 50% (or more) kids watching animated movies with the lights on or off. And the rest for family movie night once or twice a week with all the lights off. The Sanyo is too dim in some situations but its very old. I am looking at the Epson 3800 for 4K gaming, but that is not the top priority. What would you suggest in the under $2000 range?
post #8 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Epson refurbished 5040 is by far the best deal in your price range. The 3800 looks like it is also a good choice. I would even consider the BenQ 3550.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page