Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-08-2019, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Optoma EX550, Dim Picture

Hello There,

I have an Optoma EX550 Projector that I got used for $50Aud. The projector works perfectly except for one thing, the picture is really dark. I have a BenQ W1070+ That had it's lamp replaced a few weeks ago And it's rated at 2200 lumens, but my Optoma EX550 is rated at 2700 Lumens, and it's half the brightness of my BenQ. Unfortunately the previous owner had reset the lamp timer so I have no clue how old the lamp is.

Will replacing the lamp fix my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-08-2019, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 561
It's a good chance a replacement lamp will help. The previous owner may have installed a new cheap knockoff lamp also. Don't expect a night and day difference between the projectors even with a fresh OEM lamp because the Data grade Optoma most likely has a 2x RGBW color wheel where the Home theater grade BenQ has a 4x RGBRGB wheel so in any color accurate mode the BenQ is most likely brighter then the Optoma even with both having a fresh lamp.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 3 Old 11-11-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
To give you some real understanding of how color light output with a RGBW color wheel impacts things head over here:
https://www.colorlightoutput.com/search/

Search for the Optoma EX551

It is rated at 2800 lumens, but with full color sources hits only 661 lumens.

That's less than half of what the W1070 will put out while using a RGB/RGB color wheel, and this is also why DLP commercial projectors are something of a sham with their brightness claims.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page