Need advice - first time projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need advice - first time projector

I have a room that’s 10x12 that I’m using as a home office. I am thinking to install an in-ceiling motorized screen and getting my first projector.

The screen would be 10’ away from where I can mount the projector. The projector could be mounted in a wall unit dead center directly across from the viewing area of the screen.

My questions are:

1) at 10’, do I need a short throw? What would be a good unit to buy in the $1000-2000 range that would allow me to project from my iPhone? I don’t need the unit to have a robust speaker as I can set up external speakers. Would like Bluetooth connectivity and 4K.

2) do I need a tab tension screen at 10’ distance? Any recommendations for an in-ceiling motorized screen?

My ceiling is white but walls are dark gray. There’s one window but it has a 100% blackout shade in front of it. Good light control in the room at all times.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Something like a BenQ 3550 could shoot about 100" diag screen with 10' of clearance. I am assuming your shooting across the 10' width of the room and subtracting about 18" for the depth of the projector will give you about 8.5' lens to screen. All these DLP's are designed to be inverted/ceiling mounted at or slightly above the top of the screen so mounting in a wall unit may be a problem. As for a screen if you want it flat tab tensioned is the best option for a drop screen. Whats your viewing distance and what is the type of content do you primarily watch and/or gaming? Bluetooth is the worst possible solution for audio as lag causes lip sync issues with video.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Something like a BenQ 3550 could shoot about 100" diag screen with 10' of clearance. I am assuming your shooting across the 10' width of the room and subtracting about 18" for the depth of the projector will give you about 8.5' lens to screen. All these DLP's are designed to be inverted/ceiling mounted at or slightly above the top of the screen so mounting in a wall unit may be a problem. As for a screen if you want it flat tab tensioned is the best option for a drop screen. Whats your viewing distance and what is the type of content do you primarily watch and/or gaming? Bluetooth is the worst possible solution for audio as lag causes lip sync issues with video.
I actually have a solid 10’ from where the projector lens would be to the screen surface. I didn’t realize that a straight-on projection might not be possible. Viewing distance would be approx 7-8’ from the screen. I would primarily be watching sports and regular TV. Not gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 3031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob369 View Post
... I didn’t realize that a straight-on projection might not be possible. ...
If by "straight-on projection" that the projector's lens is even with a point that's centered on the screen both vertically and horizontally, it's certainly possible. However, you must get a projector that's specifically designed to do that. Generally speaking, projectors that don't have significant vertical lens shift are designed to be mounted upright near even with the bottom of the screen or inverted near even with the top of the screen.

Projectors with significant vertical lens shift are designed so that when the vertical lens shift is in the centered or neutral position the lens needs to be even with a point near the vertical center of the screen, or "straight-on projection." Of course the main issue with projecting all the way across a room with the projector near even with the vertical center of the screen is that the image path is easily blocked by anyone moving around the room. That's why most prefer their projectors mounted as high as possible when projecting across the whole room. That way you can walk around the back of the room without blocking the image path from the projector to the screen.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob369 View Post
I have a room that’s 10x12 that I’m using as a home office. I am thinking to install an in-ceiling motorized screen and getting my first projector.

The screen would be 10’ away from where I can mount the projector. The projector could be mounted in a wall unit dead center directly across from the viewing area of the screen.

My questions are:

1) at 10’, do I need a short throw? What would be a good unit to buy in the $1000-2000 range that would allow me to project from my iPhone? I don’t need the unit to have a robust speaker as I can set up external speakers. Would like Bluetooth connectivity and 4K.

2) do I need a tab tension screen at 10’ distance? Any recommendations for an in-ceiling motorized screen?

My ceiling is white but walls are dark gray. There’s one window but it has a 100% blackout shade in front of it. Good light control in the room at all times.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!
There are some smart projectors coming on the market that might connect to your iphone such as:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

although in general, I would suggest that a PC connected via HDMI, with a remote KB for control would be a better solution as it provides for a lot more projectors to choose from.

I would also suggest using a painted screen, if your proposed projection wall is clear as it provides more freedom for setup and screen size at less cost. Most projectors will need to be inverted if mounted near the ceiling, but you can hang a ceiling mount under a shelf, for example.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 556
With 10' lens to screen the BenQ 3550 can shoot up to a little over 120". If you want something that can be mounted up right on a shelf/wall unit the BenQ 5550 can but screen size would be limited to about 100" and it's above your budget. The new Epson 3200/3800 might be a little better as it can be shelf mounted with up to a 105" screen and is within your budget.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Mainly you need a projector, screen, and AVR along with whatever speakers you may have now that could be hooked up. In a small room about that size I have 5.1 audio and I think that is an excellent starting point. As to input devices I would suggest a BD player or 4k BD player (players are a streaming source also and a source for TV with HDMI out. I use a $40 OTA receiver and the image is amazing.

I have been at this for many years and I find 1080p 100% satisfying still with no big desire to jump on to 4k. It sounds like most of your source material may be 1080p or lower still. The reason I mention it is the most recommended 1080p DLP projector is about 1/3 the price of the well liked 4k version.

You could get projector, tab tension screen, input equipment and a good quality HT in a box 5.1 and stay in your budget.

The only other recommendation would be to make your ceiling darker.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page