Slightly Older Projectors vs Relatively Newer Projectors... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-14-2019, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Slightly Older Projectors vs Relatively Newer Projectors...

I recently purchased an Epson 6020ub Pro. This is strictly a 1080P projector. It is located in a completely light controlled room with dark grey ceilings and front wall, floors are also dark. Rest of walls are a light grey and there is a bank of white cabinets in the room, so it is a decent room for black levels, but by no means perfect. Seating distance is around 13-14 feet and image is projected on a White 110" SilverTicket screen. I only paid $450 for the projector and it came with a new OEM lamp (which has been installed). I had to open the projector up and clean off the LCD panels to remove a bunch of dust globs, I also tapped out and brushed out the air filter and overall gave the projector a good cleaning. It works almost perfect at this point other than what I feel is some minor convergence problems.

I really wanted something that could handle 4K since my system is setup for it, but couldn't afford it at the time nor did I want to settle for something that didn't utilize the entire 18 Gbs bandwidth. But now there are some deals popping up for JVC 570 and 590 (Pre-owned of course), and I have to wonder if I made the jump to one of those over my current setup would I be blown away or would it fall short.

Basically I am happy with what I have and without anything else to compare it to I am not sure if I would be any happier. My thought is that as the price of the True 4K JVC, etc fall, that I will be able to get one of these mentioned JVC's in a year or two for even way less? or even maybe be able to go to true 4K?

Denon x4400h, Sony x700, Klipsch Pro in-wall/ceiling, JBL 12" Subwoofer, Epson 6020ub, Roku Ultra, Logitech Harmony Hub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-14-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Older JVC's tend to hold a large price tag although I think most used sellers are way over priced. And honestly you aren't going to really see a night and day difference on 1080p content. 4k can be a better upgrade but if you process it with something like MadVR , tone map the HDR and down convert it to 1080p the only thing your missing on your 1080p projector is a little bit of resolution. It does come down to how close you sit and how good your eye sight is to really notice a difference the better resolution makes. Contrast on the other hand makes a bigger impact regardless of seating distance in a good room.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 4 Old 11-14-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5474 Post(s)
Liked: 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD13 View Post
I recently purchased an Epson 6020ub Pro. This is strictly a 1080P projector. It is located in a completely light controlled room with dark grey ceilings and front wall, floors are also dark. Rest of walls are a light grey and there is a bank of white cabinets in the room, so it is a decent room for black levels, but by no means perfect. Seating distance is around 13-14 feet and image is projected on a White 110" SilverTicket screen. I only paid $450 for the projector and it came with a new OEM lamp (which has been installed). I had to open the projector up and clean off the LCD panels to remove a bunch of dust globs, I also tapped out and brushed out the air filter and overall gave the projector a good cleaning. It works almost perfect at this point other than what I feel is some minor convergence problems.

I really wanted something that could handle 4K since my system is setup for it, but couldn't afford it at the time nor did I want to settle for something that didn't utilize the entire 18 Gbs bandwidth. But now there are some deals popping up for JVC 570 and 590 (Pre-owned of course), and I have to wonder if I made the jump to one of those over my current setup would I be blown away or would it fall short.

Basically I am happy with what I have and without anything else to compare it to I am not sure if I would be any happier. My thought is that as the price of the True 4K JVC, etc fall, that I will be able to get one of these mentioned JVC's in a year or two for even way less? or even maybe be able to go to true 4K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Contrast on the other hand makes a bigger impact regardless of seating distance in a good room.
And the contrast advantage on those JVCs over your Epson is really really big.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-17-2019, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 16
is a JVC X30 still worth it?

Or a HW40ES?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP