Looking for a New Projector After 10 Years - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-20-2019, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a New Projector After 10 Years

When I moved into our current home 8 years ago, I took my Epson Home Cinema 720 with me and proceeded to build a "theatre room" in the basement. Our basement only has two small windows and our screen is tucked into a back corner, so the room is about as light controlled as you can get. My old 720 projector has served me well, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Prior to that I had an Infocus X1, so I've been a budget player in the game for a while. My main complaints with my 720 are that it's dim (even on the second bulb which I popped in a year or so ago, it's not great for sports (the green field in baseball is off despite my use of a calibration disk and ice hockey looks bland). Also, when comparing it to a new 4k TV it becomes clear the resolution is not there.

I realize a projector can't really compete with a 4k TV, especially in my price range of $1k-$1.5k (CAD) where there aren't really 4k projectors, but as I look at upgrading this thing I'm not sure where best to start. The posted thread on here with buying advice is really helpful, but I was wondering what experiences you folks have had in the ~$1,000 range. My father-in-law bought a Ben-Q HT2050 about a year ago. It looks good, definitely brighter, but I wouldn't say it blows the doors off of mine. The Epson's seem to get good reviews on here and I'd buy another.

Just wondering what your thoughts and more importantly experiences are with projectors in this range.

Last edited by Barber_91; 11-20-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-20-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 574
The closeout on the Epson 3100/3700 is a great deal for well under $1k us. These are the brightest Home Theater class projectors you can buy in this price range. Replacement lamps are around $100 and loads of lens shift for easy setup/placement. If the room is not blacked out with dark ceiling/walls it is not light controlled.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 4 Old 11-20-2019, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
The closeout on the Epson 3100/3700 is a great deal for well under $1k us. These are the brightest Home Theater class projectors you can buy in this price range. Replacement lamps are around $100 and loads of lens shift for easy setup/placement. If the room is not blacked out with dark ceiling/walls it is not light controlled.

The US appears to have FAR better prices AND deals -- even with the exchange rate -- than we do here in Canada. I'm close to the border so I may have to order/shop US to get the best deal. The 3700 is out of reach via Amazon and Best Buy Canada, but Best Buy US has it on around the $1k mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-21-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
The 5040 refurbs are the best deal going for those who are on the cheap. If you can get someone in the US to get it for you, the price can't be beat and the quality is about as good as you can hope for.

I think the big things you will find if you do go the DLP route is that DLP is a much faster technology than LCD and if you are being critical of your pixels, then the Epson 720 has very significant inter-pixel gap creating visible screen door effect. This isn't a good thing and part of why the resolution looks weak on your existing projector. The newer Epson models use some technology to overlap pixels a bit which gets rid of most screen door effect issues.

I'm not sure what $1,500CAD buys in a projector as that will get you a BenQ 3550 in the USA which is a solid entry level 4K model that does very well.

Also, if your room doesn't have dark paint on the walls, it's a long way from 'light controlled'. One of the biggest improvements anyone can make in a theater comes from a $20 can of dark paint.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page