Upgrade from Epson 8700UB - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Upgrade from Epson 8700UB

Hello all. I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my projector but am still on the fence since the true 4k projectors still aren't at the price point I'm looking for. I have an Epson 8700UB that I've had for close to 10 years and its projected on to a Silver Ticket 120inch screen. It still does a great job and I've been very happy with it. The room is light controlled so ambient light isn't something I'm concerned about.

The Epson 5050 is on sale right now and I've been looking into it but am curious if its really worth upgrading to at this time? I have no doubt that its probably got better contrast than my current projector along with HDR capability but I'm also not the kind of person who upgrades every couple years. Does it make sense to wait a little longer to see if Epson, JVC, etc. finally get their act together and make 4k projectors under the $3k price point? I'm not necessarily stuck on Epson but black level is definitely important to me and I have no experience with the other brands out there.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What is it that you are wanting to accomplish?
HDR? Contrast? Clarity?

I'm in a similar boat as you. 10 yr old Sanyo PLV-Z3000 that I really like, but is getting a bit "long in the tooth".

New bulb and I've added a Darbee Darblet and WOW it's close to beyond 1080p... but never be a substitute for a major step up. But I too am waiting for TRUE 4k to be affordable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpennin30 View Post
Hello all. I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my projector but am still on the fence since the true 4k projectors still aren't at the price point I'm looking for. I have an Epson 8700UB that I've had for close to 10 years and its projected on to a Silver Ticket 120inch screen. It still does a great job and I've been very happy with it. The room is light controlled so ambient light isn't something I'm concerned about.

The Epson 5050 is on sale right now and I've been looking into it but am curious if its really worth upgrading to at this time? I have no doubt that its probably got better contrast than my current projector along with HDR capability but I'm also not the kind of person who upgrades every couple years. Does it make sense to wait a little longer to see if Epson, JVC, etc. finally get their act together and make 4k projectors under the $3k price point? I'm not necessarily stuck on Epson but black level is definitely important to me and I have no experience with the other brands out there.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

What color are the walls?
Seating distance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
What color are the walls?
Seating distance?

Walls are a dark gray and seating distance is 15ft from the screen.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny14o View Post
What is it that you are wanting to accomplish?
HDR? Contrast? Clarity?

I'm in a similar boat as you. 10 yr old Sanyo PLV-Z3000 that I really like, but is getting a bit "long in the tooth".

New bulb and I've added a Darbee Darblet and WOW it's close to beyond 1080p... but never be a substitute for a major step up. But I too am waiting for TRUE 4k to be affordable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback! Increased contrast would be great along with both hdr and clarity. My expectations might be too high but at $3k budget it will need to be a major difference from my current projector which I paid only $2k for.

I have an OLED for general TV viewing so it’s spoiled me on image quality. The only problem with it though is I don’t like the motion handling when watching 4K Dolby vision material. So hoping a new projector handles motion better without introducing the soap opera effect.

I’ve been waiting a couple years thinking they would finally get 4K at my price point but it still hasn’t happened yet.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpennin30 View Post
Walls are a dark gray and seating distance is 15ft from the screen.
Although there is room for personal preference, 15' on an 120" screen is a bit far. The 4K Epsons only have ~4m pixels vs the (8m to meet the 4k specification), so seating would need to be even closer to see the difference from 1080p (~2m pixels).

The newer 5050UB's have improved on black levels, and more importantly HDR. If HDR is important, then this is a good reason to upgrade.
If black level is more important, a used JVC would be a more appropriate upgrade.
A great black level JVC might require additional room treatment, some black velvet around the screen for example.

I don't think 4K PJ's are going to go down significantly in price anytime soon, these models were just released.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Although there is room for personal preference, 15' on an 120" screen is a bit far. The 4K Epsons only have ~4m pixels vs the (8m to meet the 4k specification), so seating would need to be even closer to see the difference from 1080p (~2m pixels).

The newer 5050UB's have improved on black levels, and more importantly HDR. If HDR is important, then this is a good reason to upgrade.
If black level is more important, a used JVC would be a more appropriate upgrade.
A great black level JVC might require additional room treatment, some black velvet around the screen for example.

I don't think 4K PJ's are going to go down significantly in price anytime soon, these models were just released.

Appreciate the feedback!
post #8 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 629
I have heard rumors that B stock JVC NX5, the entry level full 4K, is selling for about the same price as a new 5050. You need to call the authorized dealers for a quote as they are not allowed to advertise anything other then MSRP.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page