CHiQ B5U 4k UST - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #241 of 313 Old 05-11-2020, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Can @CHiQLASER or anyone who owns a B5U, can you confirm if the USB port(s) are powered while the unit is off?

I wanted to use the USB port to power the additional fans I plan to use to cool the device.

If they are dormant and power up with the projector then I'm all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 313 Old 05-11-2020, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno-B5U View Post
Thanks for the message, the new firmware is scheduled to be released on 11/05/2020.
Is this May 11th or November 11th?
fatherdamo2 likes this.

Chiq B5U | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | 7.2.4 Surround | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Atmos Surrounds | Bic V1020 x2
post #243 of 313 Old 05-11-2020, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yido View Post
Can @CHiQLASER or anyone who owns a B5U, can you confirm if the USB port(s) are powered while the unit is off?

I wanted to use the USB port to power the additional fans I plan to use to cool the device.

If they are dormant and power up with the projector then I'm all good.
Luckily I have a USB fan to hand.

Can confirm the one USB port powers down when I turn off the B5U with the remote. Fan stopped spinning! Sorry didn't test the other but can't see it being any different.

I had to interrupt the other half's TV program to test before I thought about the other one, best I not interrupt twice in a night!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 313 Old 05-11-2020, 12:34 PM

On another note, I've posted this Youtube video
on how the combination of the CHiq B5U 4K UST with the CHiq S-FX series ALR 100" screen works during the daytime for me, just in case anyone else is thinking of replacing their living room TV with a similar system.

Sorry about the bad focusing at the start and only afterwards did I spot in the footage that the picture is a little low on left upper. Someone probably knocked the cabinet… has taken 30 seconds to re-adjusted, perfect again!
post #245 of 313 Old 05-11-2020, 03:17 PM

Thanks @fatherdamo2 , that is another tick in the box for the B5U for me.
fatherdamo2 likes this.
post #246 of 313 Old 05-12-2020, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 532
The complete B5U test is online in French and English. Enjoy reading it.

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/
post #247 of 313 Old 05-13-2020, 07:36 AM

Yeeaaayyy
post #248 of 313 Old 05-13-2020, 08:05 AM

75ms lag......

Well that means I am back to the drawing board....

Love the fact that the image is good enough to achieve a gold award, but that promised lag time of 40'ish ms was the key to this thing working for me and my family as a genuine TV replacement.

Gaming happens just as much as TV in our house... maybe 2 or 3 hours of each per day. All online shooter stuff so 75 ms simply wont do.

Such a shame.....

Thanks for the indepth review, this massively helps people like me with little knowledge make informed decisions.
post #249 of 313 Old 05-13-2020, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Dear Benny,

Thanks for the message, the new firmware is scheduled to be released on 11/05/2020.

Please be free to contact.
Anyone has a link to the new firmware?
post #250 of 313 Old 05-13-2020, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dear Benny,

Thanks for the message, the new firmware is almost ready, please allow a
couple of days more. The update will be a OTA update which will be
carried out on the projector when it is connected online.

I will email you again when the firmware update is ready.

This comes from the CHIQ Team Not from me
post #251 of 313 Old 05-13-2020, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 315
@kraine , excellent review as usual. A minor correction on "4K HDR INDIAN MARKET CHiQ B5U". That's from Nepal (not Indian, rather Nepali market)--I should know, I'm originally from there .

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #252 of 313 Old 05-13-2020, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
75ms lag......

Well that means I am back to the drawing board....

Love the fact that the image is good enough to achieve a gold award, but that promised lag time of 40'ish ms was the key to this thing working for me and my family as a genuine TV replacement.

Gaming happens just as much as TV in our house... maybe 2 or 3 hours of each per day. All online shooter stuff so 75 ms simply wont do.
FWIW I measured 54ms on my unit on a 4k signal. My measurements were done with a HDFury Diva with the B5U connected to a Pioneer recevier. Others have measured 45ms. It’s possible the newer firmware has added some lag.

Chiq B5U | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | 7.2.4 Surround | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Atmos Surrounds | Bic V1020 x2
post #253 of 313 Old 05-13-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Dear Benny,

Thanks for the message, the new firmware is almost ready, please allow a
couple of days more. The update will be a OTA update which will be
carried out on the projector when it is connected online.

I will email you again when the firmware update is ready.

This comes from the CHIQ Team [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] Not from me [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Great! OTA update is definitely more convenient
post #254 of 313 Old 05-13-2020, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
@kraine , excellent review as usual. A minor correction on "4K HDR INDIAN MARKET CHiQ B5U". That's from Nepal (not Indian, rather Nepali market)--I should know, I'm originally from there .

It's rectified.
Brajesh likes this.
post #255 of 313 Old 05-13-2020, 11:23 PM

Thanks aerodynamics...

Be nice to hear from ChiQ about it.

Although in the review it was a similar lag time for both firmware versions tested...?

Any other early adopters able to comment on their devices real world results?

One other thing I was interested in was if I would be able to use this in a case with a glass top? Reason being that if the safety sensor detects the glass and there is no image projected, the lag time becomes irrelevant...!
post #256 of 313 Old 05-14-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks aerodynamics...

Be nice to hear from ChiQ about it.

Although in the review it was a similar lag time for both firmware versions tested...?

Any other early adopters able to comment on their devices real world results?

One other thing I was interested in was if I would be able to use this in a case with a glass top? Reason being that if the safety sensor detects the glass and there is no image projected, the lag time becomes irrelevant...!
Safety sensor can easily be turned on and off within the settings.
post #257 of 313 Old 05-14-2020, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Was looking to take the plunge and order one of these this weekend, however it seems like the prices have gone up at all UK retailers.

Can anyone comment on the chiq S-CK100 ALR Screen vs the S-FX100 Fresnel ALR Screen? Differences, which one is worth it etc.

Thanks.
post #258 of 313 Old 05-14-2020, 05:16 AM

Yep, prices went up for me too... was on the edge of ordering, left it one more day and it cost me an extra 5%. This was a month ago. My own fault for not ordering sooner and this was explained due to the next batch of stock cost a fortune for them to import due to the increase in shipping costs and no containers available plus the dollar exchange meant pricing had to go up immediately.

What swayed me towards the S-FX100 was that it was a fixed solid screen delivered and ready to hang. As long as I handled it with my white gloves there would be no issues and there hasn't been. It is a lovely screen and I feel it is worth every penny.

As I wanted to use a screen in normal day light the gain was also considered, so rightly or wrongly by me I went for the most gain. After speaking to personal projectors they confirmed it was the best combination they did for my envisaged usage.

I can't compare with the other screen but give one of the retailers a call or drop them an email, they are super helpful and will explain difference and give advice on what would be best for your setup.
post #259 of 313 Old 05-14-2020, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiQLASER View Post
Hi, distribution in north american market for our laser projectors is scheduled later this year. For now, we do not have distributors for laser display product in the states.
It has been three months since this statement, any updates on US distribution? Maybe even a target date?
post #260 of 313 Old 05-17-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Hi, the current stable firmware version is 7.50013 as of today. New firmware is expected to be released by the end of April.
Hey ChiqLaser Team,

Can you confirm if Chiq B5U support HDR 10 and DOLBY VISION? There is nothing shown in the specs in your website. Can you explain that please? I saw few youtube videos and they say world's first DOLBY VISION UST projector. Can you clarify that please?

Thanks,
Antony
post #261 of 313 Old 05-17-2020, 12:03 PM

How does it work if I brought a ChiQ B5U because of the Dolby Vission.... and now it's been removed form the device through and OTA firmware update?
post #262 of 313 Old 05-17-2020, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Has your unit already received the update? If not, maybe disconnect it from the internet so it doesn’t update or download the beta version that’s linked somewhere in this thread.

post #263 of 313 Old 05-18-2020, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do you update the device ? It seems that here is an update avaible somewhere, but my projector says that the last update avaible is from Octobre 2019
post #264 of 313 Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 AM

We are all awaiting the update. October 19 is the latest one released to end users.

CHiQ has made some beta versions of the firmware available for a limited time to some via a URL (no longer working) or direct. Believe this was used in the Passion for Home Cinema review. There was promise of an update last week, but it appears to have been delayed.

This may be down to the decision to remove the Dolby Vision and subsequent going through the approval process of the firmware release?

Reference if you want to keep Dolby Vision, if this was your reason for purchase. It appears the update has to be manually instigated, therefore if you don't upgrade your firmware, I would imagine you can keep your Dolby Vision option. Just a guess and can see why some would be disappointed.

Personally, I can't wait to get rid of it, hence "patiently" waiting for this firmware!
post #265 of 313 Old 05-18-2020, 09:47 AM

Oh no, i havent even brought a PJ yet but I was musing about those who had and had done so on the back of advertisements stating DV capable....

It's a very bad PR move from where I am sitting undermines the rest of what they may have promised....

I have been waiting to buy my device until the very last minute as we are renovating....

This was way ahead of the other popular UST's until the 75ms lag figures and this DV issue....

Maybe I wait a little longer for the next iteration of the mud budget UST's.
cstan and fatherdamo2 like this.
post #266 of 313 Old 05-19-2020, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply to comments on the forum recently as we are finalising our firmware update.

Here are our comments to recently asked questions:

Regarding DolbyVision:

The initial batch of CHiQ B5U/A5U projectors employed the image processing solution which was inherited from our TV products which supported DolbyVision decoding. It has been found that the performance of DV on projectors could not meet the current standard of DolbyVision, in order to avoid disappointment and remain compliant with DolbyVision standard; the DolbyVision decoding will be stopped in the next firmware update.

Regarding firmware update:

The next firmware update will be released by the end of this week. The new firmware update will be an OTA (over the air) update. When the projector is connected online, the firmware update can be done from the projector’s user interface, users' permission is required in order to carry out the update. An announcement will be put on the forum when the update is ready.

The firmware update will bring the following improvements:

A. A new designed user’s interface.
B. HDR performance improved.
C. Re-configured picture quality.

For customer who has installed the beta version (V7.60012) firmware, the OTA update won’t be available. If your projector is running on the beta firmware, please contact us for a dedicated update instruction.

Again, sorry for the delayed replied.
monakh and fatherdamo2 like this.
post #267 of 313 Old 05-20-2020, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello,

i have the (V7.60012) on my B5U

Can You Send me the Instruction und Download link ?

Thank You

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply to comments on the forum recently as we are finalising our firmware update.

Here are our comments to recently asked questions:

Regarding DolbyVision:

The initial batch of CHiQ B5U/A5U projectors employed the image processing solution which was inherited from our TV products which supported DolbyVision decoding. It has been found that the performance of DV on projectors could not meet the current standard of DolbyVision, in order to avoid disappointment and remain compliant with DolbyVision standard; the DolbyVision decoding will be stopped in the next firmware update.

Regarding firmware update:

The next firmware update will be released by the end of this week. The new firmware update will be an OTA (over the air) update. When the projector is connected online, the firmware update can be done from the projector’s user interface, users' permission is required in order to carry out the update. An announcement will be put on the forum when the update is ready.

The firmware update will bring the following improvements:

A. A new designed user’s interface.
B. HDR performance improved.
C. Re-configured picture quality.

For customer who has installed the beta version (V7.60012) firmware, the OTA update won’t be available. If your projector is running on the beta firmware, please contact us for a dedicated update instruction.

Again, sorry for the delayed replied.
post #268 of 313 Old 05-22-2020, 12:42 AM

I'm thinking to buy it too. Anyone can confirm that PS4 or Geforce Now games have minimal input lag? I'm planning to play single player.
post #269 of 313 Old 05-22-2020, 07:04 AM

I'm also on the beta 7.60012 firmware. Does someone have instructions on how I can update to the latest official version?
post #270 of 313 Old 05-23-2020, 08:49 AM

The more and more I sit here and think about this, the more I think I am making compromises to try and justify a projector, especially this B5U.

My finger has hovered over the purchase button dozens of times and for one reason or another I have held back. I am now thinking this was the right move..... for now.

I have been looking at the £2.5k bracket and what I can get from a more traditional set up that will perfectly suit my needs and have no other compromise than the huge 100"+ viewing experience.

85" flat screens are available in this range and will still be a huge step up in tech, size, quality etc from my current 55 inch display.

No expensive ALR screen to reap the true benefits from the UST technology, no lag issues, perfect upscaling, no need to condition my room for ambient light.... the list goes on.

I've already invested a few quid in the crdenza, a cooling system, a smoothed and finished PJ wall but I still cant get past the fact I am still making compromises.....

So, while it's been a ride I think, for the time being, until this UST tech can do what i need without as many compromises can someone point me in the direction of the £2.5k 85" panel forum please....
fatherdamo2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page