Issue with Benq W1070 - Lamp Indicator Red - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-25-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Issue with Benq W1070 - Lamp Indicator Red

Hi all,
I recently relocated from the US to Portugal. All my stuff was sent by ship in August, and arrived this weekend. First thing I hooked up was my Benq W1070 projector.

Starts up and everything looks fine, but after about 7-10 minutes, image and colours start flickering, and the background purple goes to yellowish and then greyish. After that, the projector stops responding to the remote for about a minute, and finally turns off. Once off, the "lamp" indicator becomes red, and no other indicators are on.

The manual says that this means that the lamp is damaged, so I thought that maybe the lamp was dislodged from its slot. I tried to remove it and put if back, but same thing happened again.

The projector was perfectly fine before shipping, was sent in its original packaging, and is on its second lamp (total hours about 8000, this lamp is on for 2500 hours).

I wrote the Benq support in Portugal, but the projector is past its warranty (purchased January 2015 in the Netherlands) so I don't have high hopes this will be cheap.

Do you think it's worth it to get a new lamp to try it out and see if the problem is really the lamp? 2500 hours is on the lower side of lamp duration, but it's not too horrible so I can stomach the cost.

I've seen somewhere that the issue might be the color wheel, how difficult would it be to change it myself / how costly could it be to have Benq change it? Is it worth it on an (almost) 5 year old projector, with 7y old technology?

Could it be something else? What?

Thank you all for the responses in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-30-2019, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 61
US is 110V and Portugal in not 220V?

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-160M,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800CII/2xCDT3650CII,Klipsch R115SW/R110SW
post #3 of 3 Old 11-30-2019, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 579
If the colors go wacky every time it is the color wheel so I doubt a lamp will help. Some tips are to remove the color wheel and clean the transducer as maybe some dust dislodged during shipping. Replacing a color wheel is fairly inexpensive if you do it your self but paying a professional it most likely is not worth it. !!DON'T EVER BLOW COMPRESSED AIR INTO AN ASSEMBLED PROJECTOR!!.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page