Is 4K overhead projector worth the price? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 12-01-2019, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by palciparum View Post
The reason I am looking for whole package is that I don’t know how to mix n match and this comes with everything together.

If someone can make a package for me from speakers, side speakers etc then I will buy that. Thanks.
As long as you stick to the same manufacture/model line for the 7 bed channels you will be fine. Subs don't need to be timber matched so mixing those up is not an issue. As for the 4 ceiling speakers many manufactures have them but they are not nearly as critical but of course the closer to the 7 bed channels the better.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-01-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
The reason I am looking for whole package is that I don’t know how to mix n match and this comes with everything together.

If someone can make a package for me from speakers, side speakers etc then I will buy that. Thanks.
It’s hard to give you advise as I am in the UK and you are USA so dealer and deal on offer will be different but unless you intend to listen to music you really don’t need floorstand speakers for the front as the lowest frequencies will be dealt with by your sub/s. Also if you prefer to keep your speakers concealed then I can only comment on Monitor Audio as they are the ones I have actually heard and I might add are seriously impressive though not cheap.

If I were building a 7.1.4 system from scratch and want it concealed for everything excluding the sub then this would be the system I would put together.

Monitor Audio
Left/Centre/Right = CP-WT380
Side & Rear Surrounds = CP-WT380
Atmos = CP-CT260

The reason I would pick these particular ones is their sealed enclosures, this controls the over the drivers and frequency response.

Sub/s = BK Monolith Plus, huge fan of the brand.

AVR = Denon AVR-X4300 + PMA-720 2ch

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #33 of 37 Old 12-01-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2554 Post(s)
Liked: 1381
First off, packages are often bad (not always), as sometimes they have too much markup unless you just don't care.

It is generally completely insane to buy a STEWART screen with a sub-$5k projector, that's really a total waste of money.

I'll give you my recommendation below....

There is no MIX and MATCH, a default setup is very simple and is just a 1.0 gain screen with any projector you choose.
This screen will work fine for any setup other than ultra short throw projectors or rooms with ambient light.
You also have to consider treating your walls, black velvet is recommended (see thread Blacker is better in the 3k+ section)

Stewart screens are really expensive and I would only recommend them if you are spending more than $10,000 on the projector itself.
The reason is, the increase in image from the screen is the LEAST important as long as you have a decent screen.
Any Elite or Silver Ticket screen will perform the same, unless you are looking for a specific attribute.

Furthermore, Elunevision makes screens just as good as the Stewart and a bit cheaper, and so do some other makers.
The main difference will be the quality of the frame, but this isn't very noticeable unless you are staring within 1" away.
You can also just use blackout cloth, spandex, or Carl's material and make your own screen temporarily until you decide what to buy.
You can even tack blackout cloth temporarily to the wall for $25 and it makes an excellent screen that can be used until you later understand what you are doing.
There is ZERO visible difference between my Tacked Blackout Cloth screen and my Draper Electric despite what some may claim about Blackout Cloth, and I own 6 different screens.
The problem with BO cloth is only if you sit super super super close (like 6' from 100"), then you might see the slight texture maybe in some cases, but probably not.
The main issue is just the labor it takes to tack the BO cloth to the wall (a lot of work, but worth it since you can buy a screen for under $30 by ordering BO cloth online or at Walmart)

Audio
Denon AVR-X4400h/4500h or 6400h/6500h
(google the differences to see which one)
Speakers = Infinity or Sony Core are very good budget speakers for HT that will perform above their price point if you use good SUBs
---Here is the problem, you can spend tens of thousands and it may still sound worse than Infinity or Sony Cores IME
---So unless you can demo speakers in a similar room, or you REALLY know what you are doing, start cheap and work your way up to audio later
---Otherwise, the audio side takes a lot more research than the video side
---This is especially true if you will not be installing audio paneling or if you have hardwood or concrete floors, audio can get complex in this situation, the reverberations can be bad
---Denon has the most neutral sound usually and least reverb bounce IME, Onkyo has the worst (but I've only tried low-mid Onkyo's not high-end).

Screen
1.0 Gain pretty much any well rated screen on Amazon will work (Silver Ticket, Elite, etc...)
---Don't choose gain screens, even 1.3 gain has sparklies or negative effect, there is usually no reason for gain with today's projectors unless you want a larger screen
---You have to decide do you want 2.35 (so no black bars) to utilize better movie content, or are you more interested in 16:9 content. You can also mask 16:9 screens to make them 2.35

Projector Options
1) JVC RS-540 or NX-5
2) Epson 5040 or 5050
3) Benq ht3550 or ht5550
4) Optoma hd51

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 12-02-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 12-01-2019, 10:00 PM

Here are some low cost Audio packages that work well...

1) Sony Core = You can use these for all speakers except subs and center channel, though the Sony Core subwoofers are also decent.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...bookshelf.html

Then any Sony Core center (not regular Sony) for the rest. You can also use the Sony Towers if you prefer larger speakers in the front (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...xoCGCgQAvD_BwE)

2) Infinity
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R253BK.h...E#spcs_support

Then any Infinity Bookshelf for the rest of the speakers, and Infinity center.

3) Polk
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-au...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then any Polk Bookshelfs for the rest, and Polk Center.

Note:
I haven't met anyone that dislikes Infinity or Sony Core speakers yet for Home Theater, they are both fairly neutral sounding speakers and have clear audio for home theater.
Spend the money on the subs and projector, use Infinity or Sony Core for the regular speakers is my suggestion. Note that I own Infinity, Sony Cores, and Polks (among others), so I have listened to them for over a thousand hours. Per Sony Core vs. Infinity, man it's a tossup, depends on the room which one will be best, they are close. For the price you can sometimes get the Sonys for, they are unbeatable IMO, nothing comes close. I also own Dayton Audios, Monoprice speakers, Bose, and a bunch of others. Sony Core are way better for HT than their price suggests.

There are some very very high-end speakers that sound way better for music and worse for home theater, DIALOG CLARITY is most important for HT speakers, whereas for music it's AMBIENCE and depth.
So it's two different uses, the best HT speakers won't often be the best for music.

For HT the most important is the center channel, the 2 fronts, and the subs. The rest is just a filler most of the time, don't really need matched (though some may disagree),
but Sony Core is so cheap you can just use all Sony for everything. Not sure about the Sony's center channel as that is ONE I do not own (have the Infinity center).

Last edited by coderguy; 12-01-2019 at 10:51 PM.
post #35 of 37 Old 12-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Smile

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. My media room is dedicated space and I can have it dark. I can let them know whatever you will suggest. In that case, what would you recommend?
15 19 10?Better sound with 17 w 10 h 23 l

Better sound if you increase ht from 10 to 11 or 12 length from 23 increase to 30

My future proposed media room is going to be height 14 width 19 length 30

Still trying to decide what best fits the bonello graph vs needing required subwoofers for my listening needs.

Or maybe width 21 , length 30 , height 16 ?
Argh i keep changing my mind on ideal media room dimensions to begin my build.
Sorry i know nothing about this except room modes are bad and add black velvet to make it a batcave.

Denon 4k avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount at diy 135 inch screen triple 15 boss build .
Pending buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains new 4k lg hu70la projector 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #36 of 37 Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
First off, packages are often bad (not always), as sometimes they have too much markup unless you just don't care.

Projector Options
1) JVC RS-540 or NX-5
2) Epson 5040 or 5050
3) Mitsubishi ht3550 or ht5550
4) Optoma hd51

Shouldn't No. 3 be Benq?
post #37 of 37 Old 12-02-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
Shouldn't No. 3 be Benq?
LOL, yah oops, Mits is no more in the projector market, not sure why I typed Mits instead of Benq...

Last edited by coderguy; 12-02-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page