Is 4K overhead projector worth the price? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 11-26-2019, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is 4K overhead projector worth the price?

I am interested in Media Room. From what I understand, some overhead projectors are 1080p, some will upscale to 4K and few are true 4K.

However True 4K projectors start at $5,000 way more expensive than other ones.

Are they worth the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Of course the fact of diminishing returns is in effect as it comes down to how much money is worth to you. Is a $75,000 Mercedes worth 3 time the price of a $25,000 Honda ? I know not to me. An $800 BenQ 2050a throws an amazingly good picture and a $4000 JVC true 4K NX5/rs1000 will of course look better "in the right room" but definitely not 5 times as good. I would say it's not even twice as good, but it is what you have to pay for a signifent improvement. This is a hobby and the room environment, projector and screen all need to work together to get the most out of any projector.
sage11x, unretarded and srkmish like this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by palciparum View Post
I am interested in Media Room. From what I understand, some overhead projectors are 1080p, some will upscale to 4K and few are true 4K.

For video there is not that much of a difference between faux 4K and native 4K from normal seating distance.
For gaming the native 4K will deliver a better image than the faux 4K.

4K will have a sharper image than 1080p, if seated close enough.
Depending on the model, it will tone map 4K HDR content.

The unit depends on a few things:
Wall color.
Ambient light.
Budget.
Source. Disc, streaming, gaming (what kind)?
Seating distance.
Projector to screen distance, or placement possibility.
How many people will be watching the screen, at what angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

Upscaling is taking, for example, a 1080p (1920 x 1080) frame and interpolating the frame to insert additional pixels, not present in the 1080p frame, to increase the pixel count to consumer 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels or ~3.8K).

There are no projectors that upscale consumer 4K content to consumer 4K. There are some that will take a 4K data frame and downscale it to 1080P (~1.9K where 2048 x 1080 = 2K), and a subset of these will be able to also display the colour and intensity of the frame according to the HDR data in the frame. There are some, such as some 3LCD Epson and JVC 3LCoS projectors that claim to downscale the 4K data to 1/2 of 4K (about 2.7K) albeit with no definable pixel locations beyond 1080p. All the others, such as Sony and JVC that use 3 x LCOS 4096 x 2160 RGB arrays upscale consumer 4K ( BD or streaming content at 3840 x 2160) to a maximum of 4096 x 2160 (or display it with black bars at 3840 x 2160). TI has developed a a method of using DLP .47in 1920 x 1080 or .66in 2716 x 1528 DMDs and an optical actuator to display 3840 x 2160 addressable pixels on screen so that each pixel address in the data frame is mapped 1-1 on screen, and so can display a 4K frame at 1-1 (no upscale or downscale of the frame). TI calls their method "True 4K" because it meets the industry definition for 3840 x 2160 addressable pixels on screen. Given equal optics, there is no clear advantage of the Sony or JVC 4K LCOS arrays in terms of resolution over the TI "True 4K" DMDs, which often outperform the LCOS displays in terms of resolution in various ways.

If your media room is not optimized as a dedicated theatre space (Black walls, floor and ceiling) to take advantage of the better contrast of some 3LCD or LCOS projectors, then there is little to be gained by purchasing a 4K LCOS projector.
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by DunMunro; 11-27-2019 at 02:22 AM.
post #5 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. My media room is dedicated space and I can have it dark. I can let them know whatever you will suggest. In that case, what would you recommend?
post #6 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

I would like to build media room with good sound experience but the cost of these 4K overhead projectors was shocking.
post #7 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. My media room is dedicated space and I can have it dark. I can let them know whatever you will suggest. In that case, what would you recommend?

What will you be watching? If you're like me and watch 95% SDR, 4K/HDR may not be worth the cost. Your viewing habits really do matter.
sage11x likes this.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
post #8 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would suggest that you design your media room for the largest possible screen size, and that you paint the screen wall, rather than use a separate screen. I would have the ceiling above the screen wall flat black and dark grey for the rest of the room. The walls I would paint in a lighter colour (even white) but I would add curtain rods and flat black drapes that can be closed for serious movie viewing, and opened to brighten the room, when desired.

IMHO, screen size and projector selection is more important than sound equipment selection, so your budget should be drawn up with that it mind.

Some suggestions:

If you watch a mix of cable TV, sports, with some ambient light, and 4K BD content, then something like a PX747-47, TK800M or a UHD51ALV/UHD52ALV might a good starting point for researching suitable projectors.

If you will be mainly watching 4K BD content in a fully darkened theatre, then look at the UHD50, UHD51A, HT3550, HT5550, as a starting point for research, if you want to keep your costs down.
sage11x likes this.
post #9 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 799
I went from a 500 dollar 1080p projector to a Faux 4k projector for 1,300, then a true 4k projector for 4,300. I was happy with each and more happy with the next. It is a process, so whatever you go with you probably won't stay with for long, at least not until you have been doing it long enough to know when you have found what works best for you and your room at a price you can live with. Also, I did not pay retail price for any of them and bought them either refurbished or used in all cases.
sage11x likes this.
post #10 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would like to build media room with good sound experience but the cost of these 4K overhead projectors was shocking.

More info is required:

Wall color.
Ambient light.
Budget.
Seating distance.
post #11 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
More info is required:

Wall color.
Ambient light.
Budget.
Seating distance.
Media room 15' x 19'. Ceiling 10'
Being built - so I can follow recommendations from the forum for everything suggested. Help me plan it.
2 rows of seating.
Budget $10-$12, 000 for screen, speakers, overhead projector and wiring.
Not into gaming. For watching movies.
Would stream (I guess will need 4K compatible Roku, Fire TV and Apple TV) and use blu ray player.
Can go up to 4K sony projector if it really makes a difference (as it is very expensive)

Since I am a newbie, I have been looking at various packages being offered by different vendors. Any recommendations regarding those below or what package should I create.

AWESOME VALUE THEATER
Enjoy the theater experience at home with a huge 110” projection screen. This theater features Klipsch Reference audio and an Epson Pro series 4K E-shift projector (free bulb and mount) and controlled with a universal remote. This includes a professional install for a pre-wired room. There is a lot of quality here for the money.
$5499

A STEP UP
This theater is the same great Klipsch Reference audio from package one but with added video quality with the upgrade to a custom hand built 120“ Slate screen from Screen Innovations giving you better contrast and color. Audio is upgraded to Dolby ATMOS 5.1.2. These are worthy upgrades to any theater package.
$7999

NO COMPROMISE THEATER BEST SELLER
This is our favorite one to sell simply because it hits a budget level that most people love but doesn’t fall short in performance. Here we add HUGE floor standing Reference speakers from Klipsch in Dolby ATMOS 5.1.2 and an Epson Pro 4K E-shift projector. This theater was designed to meet a budget but truly not compromise anywhere. It’s perfectly balanced in performance and budget.
$9997

THE GOOD STUFF
Now for the good stuff where we start getting into some real audio gear . This theater adds Audiophile grade speakers from Focal. Rock your room with clean tight musical sound from the Focal speakers and deep, perfect bass from JL audio …simply the best in subwoofers. The HUGE 133” Slate screen from Screen Innovations and 4K E-shift from Epson. This is a special system that has both Audio and Video upgrades that you won’t want to change for decades. You can even add an audiophile amp to the system to power the fronts if you want more power for your movies or music listening sessions. We thought of everything here to get you the best bang for the buck with luxury names.
$13999
------------------------------------------------------------------

$11K:
JVC PROFESSIONAL DLA-RS1000 REFERENCE SERIES 4K D-ILA PROJECTOR
(1) SCREEN INNOVATIONS 5TX120SL12 120" SLATE 1.2 WITH LED
(1) DENON AVR-X2500H HOME THEATER RECEIVER
(2) KLIPSCH PRO-16RW PRO SERIES 6.5" IN-WALL SPEAKERS
(1) KLIPSCH PRO-25RW LCR PRO SERIES DUAL 5.25" IN-WALL SPEAKER
(2) KLIPSCH DS-160W 6.5" 2-WAY IN-WALL LOUDSPEAKERS
(2) KLIPSCH DS-160CDT DESIGNER SERIES 6.5" IN-CEILING SPEAKERS
(1) KLIPSCH R-120SW REFERENCE 12" SUBWOOFER
(1) UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL MX-450 IR/RF HARD BUTTON REMOTE CONTROL WITH COLOR LC
ALL REQUIRED MOUNTING HARDWARE AND A/V CONNECTION CABLES

$11K
Screen - Screen innovations 135" series 5 ALR
Projector - Epson 4k PC 6050 (possibly 4050 depends on overall designs and costs)
Speakers - Klipsch CDT in-wall/ceiling or Revel (overall costs). Yours would be 9ch possibly 11 (again depending on design costs)
Subwoofer - SVS 10" Active
Receiver - Marantz
Universal Remote programmed for control
Lighting - Luton Z wave installation for control via phone or remote.
All wiring during construction and installation after move in is included. This includes 2 hour 46 point calibration of audio and video.
This is turnkey deal with only one price ever charged, I don't nickel and dime. Whatever is needed we get and I do.
Lifetime warranty on workmanship and of course honoring all manufacturers warranties.
Surge protection for projector and all electronic equipment in cabinet (clean power protection is included)
No charge for consulting.Nno design fees.
Pull extra wires during the wiring phase to plan for future additions. Those are coiled up in the attic/wall for future use and are out of sight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ther package for $ 8K
Projector
Sony VPLHW45ES 1080P Hi-Definition SXRD Projector

Screen
Stewart Filmscreen Cima Line 100″ Diagonal Screen. 16:9 Format

Speaker System
Paradigm Custom Series CI65IW In Wall speaker
Paradigm Custom Series CIC65R In Ceiling Speaker
Paradigm Cinema Series 200 Center Channel Speaker

AV Receiver
Onkyo TX-RZ620.2 5.2.1 Dolby Atmos Capable Receiver

Bluray Player
Sony 3D Wireless Bluray player, BDPS6700 with 4k Upconversion

Subwoofer
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer

Programmable Remote
Home Theater Master MX780, Programmable learning remote with Color LCD display

RF Receiver
Universal Remote MRF260 RF Receiver

Projector Mount
Chief RPMAU Universal Projector Mounting Bracket

Cables
WireWorld Island 7 HDMI 2 Meter, WireWorld Island 7 HDMI 9 Meter

Power Management
WattBox 10 outlet surge protector

Other package for $16.5K
Projector
JVC DLAX770R, Hi Definition 1080P Projector with E-Shift4 to support 4k

Screen
EF110H-PST Elite Prime Vision Polar Star Edgeless Screen with LED light kit, 110″

Speaker System
Paradigm Custom Home Series CI H65IW 6 1/4″ In Wall Speaker
Paradigm Custom Series CI C65R 6 1/4″ In Ceiling Speaker
Paradigm Millennia LP2 LCR On Wall Center Channel Speaker

AV Receiver
NAD T758V3 7.1 Surround Receiver with 5.1.2 Atmos Capable. 110 watts per channel. With Bluesound.

Bluray Player
Sony 3D Wireless Bluray player, BDPS6700 with 4k Upconversion

Subwoofer
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer

Subwoofer
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer

Smart Home Control Hub
Clare Cliq Mini CLIQ-MOSM-10

Bridge
Clare Controls Ethernet to IR IP2IR-P

Projector Mount
Chief RPMAU Universal Projector Mounting Bracket

Cables
WireWorld Island 7 HDMI 2 Meter, WireWorld Island 7 HDMI 9 Meter

Power Management
SurgeX SX1115RT Power conditioner. Rack mountable, remote on, 15 amps.
post #12 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@palciparum Strange projection and screen choices.
For instance, the JVC NX5/RS1000 with an ALR screen?
And the Sony HW45, an 1080p model, for 8K in 2019?

The first issue is the black levels. Some of the models mentioned here, the RS1000 and even the Sony HW45 have good black levels.
In order to take advantage of those, the room must be treated for reflections. Wall reflections will wash out the black level of a good projector.
Demonstration:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

If you want to read more on this issue:
https://projectiondream.com/en/contr...r-environment/

This can be remedied with dark paints or dark fabrics. A dark paint will still reflect light. A projector with good great black levels will require dark fabrics, at least around the area around the screen (~5ft or more) not to loose the excellent blacks some of these models are capable of.

There is a thread for this:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...image-230.html

ALR screens are for ambient light use, or rooms with colored walls. In a treated room a white screen would be best.

So the selection of what projector is required depends if the room will be treated.

You still haven't mentioned the seating distance from the screen.
post #13 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Media room is being built. Not done yet. Other than size 15’ wide x 19’ long and 10’ ceiling. Nothing else has been decided.
I am thinking of 2 rows of seating.
Screen size, I am not sure. Anything between 120” - 150”.

So you can recommend seating distance, screen size, help me modify a package or build a package. I have zero knowledge. Thanks.
post #14 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 799
I would be looking at a JVC NX7 and a Stewart Cima screen for video. There are a ton of options on the audio side. You might like Klipsch, you might not. Make sure to demo them.
post #15 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Media room is being built. Not done yet. Other than size 15’ wide x 19’ long and 10’ ceiling. Nothing else has been decided.

So you can recommend seating distance, screen size, help me modify a package or build a package. I have zero knowledge. Thanks.
What's recommended is that the projector is used for a few weeks on a wall to see what is appropriate. Personal preference comes into play.
A very general recommendation is 10-12 inches in diagonal for each foot in distance.

If the room is 19' long, take out 10' (?) for both rows of seats?
That would put the viewing distance at around 13' for the first row and 18' for the second?
So a 130-150" screen, maybe larger?

If the room will not be treated it's not worth getting a projector with good black levels.
An Epson HC4010 would do fine, however it has a limitation and may not work with some streaming services/players fixed at 60Hz. The Epson 5050UB will do.

Where would the projector be placed? Can it be placed closer to the screen?

If the room will be treated there are many options.
The 5050UB mentioned above is the cheapest unit with good blacks, new at least.
Higher end models would be the Epson 6050UB, JVC RS1000/NX5, RS2000/NX7. It's been rumored that B stock NX5 are available at the price similar to the Epson's mentioned here.
JVC's are known for their excellent contrast, Epson's are good as well, but only in a treated room.

For the screen, a plain white screen like a Silver Ticket, or as m0j0 suggested a Stewart Cima.
post #16 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Quote:
Media room is being built. Not done yet. Other than size 15’️ wide x 19’️ long and 10’️ ceiling. Nothing else has been decided.

What's recommended is that the projector is used for a few weeks on a wall to see what is appropriate. Personal preference comes into play.
A very general recommendation is 10-12 inches in diagonal for each foot in distance.

If the room is 19' long, take out 10' (?) for both rows of seats?
That would put the viewing distance at around 13' for the first row and 18' for the second?
So a 130-150" screen, maybe larger?

If the room will not be treated it's not worth getting a projector with good black levels.
An Epson HC4010 would do fine, however it has a limitation and may not work with some streaming services/players fixed at 60Hz. The Epson 5050UB will do.

Where would the projector be placed? Can it be placed closer to the screen?

If the room will be treated there are many options.
The 5050UB mentioned above is the cheapest unit with good blacks, new at least.
Higher end models would be the Epson 6050UB, JVC RS1000/NX5, RS2000/NX7. It's been rumored that B stock NX5 are available at the price similar to the Epson's mentioned here.
JVC's are known for their excellent contrast, Epson's are good as well, but only in a treated room.

For the screen, a plain white screen like a Silver Ticket, or as m0j0 suggested a Stewart Cima.
Thanks for the reply. What about speakers package?
post #17 of 37 Old 11-27-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For an untreated room the Epson HC3200/3800 can be had if budget is an issue. They only cover 105-115% of Rec.709 or 81-85% DCI-P3(WCG) coverage for HDR material. The other projectors cover 100% of DCI-P3 or more (90% for the NX5). This is achieved via a filter which cuts 50% of brightness for the 5050UB/6050UB and 25% of the NX7. NX5 does not have a filter.

Not sure about the speakers. There is an audio subforum:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/88-audio/
post #18 of 37 Old 11-28-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 415
@palciparum some tasty kit you are considering and with that some sizable costs you are willing to go to achieve your desired results.

It's looks like this will be a dedicated room with the appropriate decor that will lend itself to a projector that can produce a decent level of blacks so with that in mind you should be considering something beyond a DLP projector, they throw a wonderfully crisp image but we are all in agreement that blacks aren't their strong suit.

Maybe I missed it but I am unsure whether you intend to mount the front speakers behind the screen or not, if you do then you should check out the DIY screen section and read up about doing a spandex screen, by all accounts they are as good as dedicated acoustic screens and for a fraction of the price which would allow you to put the difference to maybe a better projector?

Also if I were you i would look at last year's AVR units, there's surprisingly little difference between last years and new yet the price difference can be vast. As for speakers this is a very personal thing I myself don't like the sound from Klipsch where as you might think they are great so I say listen to as many difference brands as you can and pick the one that doesn't stand out because from my experience a speaker that stands out by promoting either it's bass or treble becomes tiresome over a long period.

The brands that in my opinion meet the criteria above would be Monitor Audio, Kef and Q Acoustics, all are very highly regarded and offer in wall designs, personally I would pick the Monitor Audio CP-WT380 for all main and surround speakers with CS180 for Atmos duties.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Last edited by Luminated67; 11-29-2019 at 04:44 AM.
post #19 of 37 Old 11-28-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't even consider a 5.1.2 setup you need 7.1.4 minimum. Klipsch speakers are controversial as some love them and some hate them. Most of the 9 channel AVR's that can process 11 channels are great, reasonably priced especially if you get last years models and unless you have very inefficient speakers or listen above reference levels are powerful enough on their own for most setups. You can save a considerable amount of money the more DIY you put into it. Go to the Home theater design section of these forums to get some great ideas on what others have done.
Luminated67 likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #20 of 37 Old 11-28-2019, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With that kind of budget you can really have a crazy setup.! Seriously
post #21 of 37 Old 11-29-2019, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
@palciparum some tasty kit you are considering and with that some sizable costs you are willing to go to achieve your desired results.

It's looks like this will be a dedicated room with the appropriate decor that will lend itself to a projector that can produce a decent level of blacks so with that in mind you should be considering something beyond a DLP projector, they throw a wonderfully crisp image but we are all in agreement that blacks aren't their strong suit.

Maybe I missed it but I am unsure whether you intend to mount the front speakers behind the screen or not, if you do then you should check out the DIY screen section and read up about doing a spandex screen, by all accounts they are as good as dedicated acoustic screens and for a fraction of the price which would allow you to put the difference to maybe a better projector?

Also if I were you i would look at last year's AVR units, there's surprisingly little difference between last years and new yet the price difference can be vast. As for speakers this is a very personal thing I myself don't like the sound from Klipsch where as you might think they are great so I say listen to as many difference brands as you can and pick the one that doesn't stand out because from my experience a speaker that stands out by promoting either it's bass or treble becomes tiresome over a long period.

The brands that in my opinion meet the criteria above would be Monitor Audio, Kef and Q Acoustics, all are very highly regarded and offer in wall designs, personally I would pick the Monitor Audio CP-WT380 for all main and surround speakers with CS180 for Atmos duties.
Which models would be last years and cheaper still good?
post #22 of 37 Old 11-29-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I would suggest that you design your media room for the largest possible screen size, and that you paint the screen wall, rather than use a separate screen. I would have the ceiling above the screen wall flat black and dark grey for the rest of the room. The walls I would paint in a lighter colour (even white) but I would add curtain rods and flat black drapes that can be closed for serious movie viewing, and opened to brighten the room, when desired.

IMHO, screen size and projector selection is more important than sound equipment selection, so your budget should be drawn up with that it mind.

Some suggestions:

If you watch a mix of cable TV, sports, with some ambient light, and 4K BD content, then something like a PX747-47, TK800M or a UHD51ALV/UHD52ALV might a good starting point for researching suitable projectors.

If you will be mainly watching 4K BD content in a fully darkened theatre, then look at the UHD50, UHD51A, HT3550, HT5550, as a starting point for research, if you want to keep your costs down.
Curtains? There will be no windows in media room.
post #23 of 37 Old 11-29-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Curtains? There will be no windows in media room.

The drapes are not meant to block light from windows, but to block reflection from light coloured walls. That way you can have white walls, for example, and a bright room, for watching sports with the gang with the drapes opened and tied off in the corners, and then by closing the drapes the room will be completely blacked out for movie viewing. You can get flat black drapes that are very inexpensive and the room becomes fully dual purpose.
post #24 of 37 Old 11-29-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which models would be last years and cheaper still good?
If you can get your hands on a Denon AVR-x4300 or 4400 you should be able to get a good deal possibly or a demo or display model, these will allow you to run either 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 but you can add an additional stereo amp to drive a pair of Atmos speakers thus allowing you a 7.2.4 setup.

Or of course you could go with the Marantz equivalent as they are one and the same company.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Last edited by Luminated67; 11-29-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #25 of 37 Old 11-29-2019, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

I see Klipsch having sale on their website for home theater systems including 7.1
Are these for media room? Will need receiver and in ceiling to make 7.1.4 Dolby atmos
https://www.klipsch.com/home-theater-systems
Any comments?
I also found ready made 7.1 speaker packages with suggestions for receivers
https://www.themasterswitch.com/best...heater-systems
Any comments? Thanks.
post #26 of 37 Old 11-30-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see Klipsch having sale on their website for home theater systems including 7.1
Are these for media room? Will need receiver and in ceiling to make 7.1.4 Dolby atmos
Any comments?
Any comments? Thanks.
Have you heard the Klipsch yet?

post #27 of 37 Old 11-30-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a Panasonic PTAE3000U which has lasted 9 years on the same bulb. The bulb and fan need to be replaced. Is it worth the cost?

I have a large (24x19) dedicated theater. Onkyo 5.1 (also 10 years old) 11' screen. AV123 Rocket speaker system (don't ask). Twin Outlaw Ultra-X12 subs (newer).

Should I just repair the projector or replace it and the Onkyo? We watch cable and movies. No gaming. Maybe 10 hours/month.

Thanks in advance.
post #28 of 37 Old 11-30-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopDisplay View Post
I have a Panasonic PTAE3000U which has lasted 9 years on the same bulb. The bulb and fan need to be replaced. Is it worth the cost?

I have a large (24x19) dedicated theater. Onkyo 5.1 (also 10 years old) 11' screen. AV123 Rocket speaker system (don't ask). Twin Outlaw Ultra-X12 subs (newer).

Should I just repair the projector or replace it and the Onkyo? We watch cable and movies. No gaming. Maybe 10 hours/month.

Thanks in advance.
You should have started a new thread. If you can afford it they both should be replaced. But on the other hand if your happy with what you have and can replace the fan your self or at a reasonable cost go for it. The projector has little value and neither does the receiver so you won't recoup any money you invest in it.

post #29 of 37 Old 11-30-2019, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Quote:
Any comments?
Any comments? Thanks.
Have you heard the Klipsch yet?
Not this one and definitely not as 7.1.4
post #30 of 37 Old 11-30-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

The reason I am looking for whole package is that I don’t know how to mix n match and this comes with everything together.

If someone can make a package for me from speakers, side speakers etc then I will buy that. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page