Upgrading from Epson 705hd, don't know what to do.... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-29-2019, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Upgrading from Epson 705hd, don't know what to do....

My title pretty much says it all. I am looking to upgrade my projector, which is currently an Epson 705HD. I am not necessarily looking for 4k quality, but I would like to improve on my current setup. My screen is an N-8 painted, 122" 16:9 .

Any suggestions, input or good finds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SHMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHMO View Post
My title pretty much says it all. I am looking to upgrade my projector, which is currently an Epson 705HD. I am not necessarily looking for 4k quality, but I would like to improve on my current setup. My screen is an N-8 painted, 122" 16:9 .

Thanks,
SHMO
How much flexibility do you have in projector placement? If you want to stay with Epson you can get some refurb bargains, on the HC1040, HC2040 and HC2150. Any of these would be a nice upgrade. Staples Canada has the Viewsonic PX747-4k on sale right now (see the deals found subforum) and I'm very happy with my Optoma UHD50 which would be a considerable upgrade over your current setup.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

I do have some flexibility in placement. Currently, my projector is just in front of the center-line, of the front row. I could easily move it back, or even forward if needed. Being in the current location, of course noise is a concern, so that should play into my decision as well. I'll check out the units you suggested, and see how they stack up. Is any one of these, one you would suggest over the others? The Optoma UHD50 would be a tad bit over the budget, but isn't completely out of the question.

Thank you for your input,
SHMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do have some flexibility in placement. Currently, my projector is just in front of the center-line, of the front row. I could easily move it back, or even forward if needed. Being in the current location, of course noise is a concern, so that should play into my decision as well. I'll check out the units you suggested, and see how they stack up. Is any one of these, one you would suggest over the others? The Optoma UHD50 would be a tad bit over the budget, but isn't completely out of the question.

Thank you for your input,
SHMO
The HC2045 or 2150 would be a considerable upgrade. Here's a link to the Epson USA refurb website:
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...inment/c/cc301

I have an HC1040 and an HC2030 (both refurbs) and they work well. I consider my UHD50 to be far superior to either one.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

Thanks,
SHMO

The current PJ's throw range is 1.32:1 - 1.58:1.

How far away can the projector be placed, or would you want to use the same mount? What distance from the screen is is placed now?
What's the height of the mount? Is it variable in height?

Seating distance to screen?
Room environment, ambient light?
Any gaming. If yes, what type?
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
How far away can the projector be placed, or would you want to use the same mount? What distance from the screen is is placed now?
What's the height of the mount? Is it variable in height?

Seating distance to screen?
Room environment, ambient light?
Any gaming. If yes, what type?
My PJ is currently 12' 11" from the screen, and it hangs 6" below the top of the screen. It is variable in height, in one inch increments.

My front row viewing is approx 13' 6" and the back row is 18' 6". The seating can be adjusted as well, as I am planning to re-carpet, and the riser can be nudged back or forth. I have the ambient light controlled pretty well, but I do have a white ceiling and some (not dark) elements in the decor. Gaming is something we use the theater for, as well as casual party viewing such as sports and events, where dim lighting needs to be present.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater pic.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	596.3 KB
ID:	2649710  
post #7 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The refurbed Epson 2150 is a great deal right now, and is probably your best buy and it will be a very considerable upgrade.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
My PJ is currently 12' 11" from the screen, and it hangs 6" below the top of the screen. It is variable in height, in one inch increments.

My front row viewing is approx 13' 6" and the back row is 18' 6". The seating can be adjusted as well, as I am planning to re-carpet, and the riser can be nudged back or forth. I have the ambient light controlled pretty well, but I do have a white ceiling and some (not dark) elements in the decor. Gaming is something we use the theater for, as well as casual party viewing such as sports and events, where dim lighting needs to be present.
On an 122" screen a 4K image might not be that different from 1080p from that distance. There is no consensus on this issue, varies person to person.
It might be worth getting a 4K unit because it can accept different type of signals from whatever source is being used.

If you're watching a lot of sports a DLP projector will have better motion handling. But 3LCD on Epson's are also fine.
DLP models generally have a positive offset, which means the center of the lens sits above the top edge of the screen.
For an 122" screen for example an UHD50's center of lens would need to be 3" above the top of the screen.
If you decide to go DLP, check how much the mount can go up.

3LCD Epson's are generally more bright than the DLP's, but the DLP's are still bright.

For 1080p.
DLP: Benq HT2050A
3CLD: the models DunMunro mentioned, and maybe the HC3100 and HC3700.
The HC3700 is one of the brightest home cinema projectors.

4K:
DLP: Optoma UHD50/51/51A/51ALV/52ALV, Benq TK800M/the upcoming TK850, Viewsonic PX727/747 4K.
3LCD: Epson HC3200 and HC3800
The HC4010 is a unit with better looking picture, but is ~25lbs. and the mount would have to be changed, or placed on a shelf .

Depends what is on sale, and what you prefer.

Check the specifications to make sure it fits the setup. Projector Central Calculator is a great resource for dimension calculations.
The HC2150 mentioned above:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...ulator-pro.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page