What to do? LED, OLED or Projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
What to do? LED, OLED or Projector?

I am torn. I currently have a 75" Sony 900E. I love the picture and quality but i'm bored and a nerd. My movie room has no windows so light is not an issue. I'm contemplating buying an 85" Sony 900F or higher, a 77" OLED, or buying my first projector. I do not play 4k content other than what's available on streaming services. I have prime, netflix, hulu, disney, and my own plex server. My media device is xbox one X.

The thought of a projector and a huge screen has always intrigued me but I've never had the room for one. I just purchased my house a year ago and I have a perfect area for it now if I decided to go that route.

I know the OLED will give me best picture by far. The 85" LED will be great quality as well. I have a budget of $5,000 for a tv or projector. Any advice is appreciated. I read that 4k projectors don't upscale. Will I be disappointed in quality w/out up scaling? Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskeef View Post
I am torn. I currently have a 75" Sony 900E. I love the picture and quality but i'm bored and a nerd. My movie room has no windows so light is not an issue. I'm contemplating buying an 85" Sony 900F or higher, a 77" OLED, or buying my first projector. I do not play 4k content other than what's available on streaming services. I have prime, netflix, hulu, disney, and my own plex server. My media device is xbox one X.

The thought of a projector and a huge screen has always intrigued me but I've never had the room for one. I just purchased my house a year ago and I have a perfect area for it now if I decided to go that route.

I know the OLED will give me best picture by far. The 85" LED will be great quality as well. I have a budget of $5,000 for a tv or projector. Any advice is appreciated. I read that 4k projectors don't upscale. Will I be disappointed in quality w/out up scaling? Any advice is appreciated.
I love my projector and wouldn't trade it for any TV (Unless I could get a 130 inch one. lol)
If you get a projector you are gonna need a screen as well.
I have the Xiaomi 4k 2019 UST projector that sits about 5 inched from my screen and uses lasers to project up to 150 inches. I paid about $2,000 for it. The screen I have is not a ALR screen but that is because I have a windowless theater room with no light getting through. If you have any light at all I recommend an ALR screen.
I also highly recommend you buy the new Nvidia Shield, it does an amazing job at AI upscaling of 1080p content.
Just curious why don't you play any 4K content? Man a good 4k UHD player and some discs look amazing.
What kind of surround system do you have?

Thanks,
Ben
post #3 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 57
4K projectors do upscale and make 1080 content better

Disney+ has tons of 4K content and so does Netflix and many iTunes movies automatically give you 4K.

4K streaming looks great on a projector.

I have a 150” screen using a benq 3550 which is only $1400 so well under your budget and it’s an amazing way to watch movies. With your budget you may find an even nicer projector (will have to spend over 3k for better).

There is no substitute for the large screen experience imo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
I love my projector and wouldn't trade it for any TV (Unless I could get a 130 inch one. lol)
If you get a projector you are gonna need a screen as well.
I have the Xiaomi 4k 2019 UST projector that sits about 5 inched from my screen and uses lasers to project up to 150 inches. I paid about $2,000 for it. The screen I have is not a ALR screen but that is because I have a windowless theater room with no light getting through. If you have any light at all I recommend an ALR screen.
I also highly recommend you buy the new Nvidia Shield, it does an amazing job at AI upscaling of 1080p content.
Just curious why don't you play any 4K content? Man a good 4k UHD player and some discs look amazing.
What kind of surround system do you have?

Thanks,
Ben
As far as the 4k content goes, I'm not sure why I havn't lol. I might have to start.

As far as sound, currently I just have sonos 5.1 from my apartment I moved from. I also have a budget set aside for a theatre system.

edit to add just ordered Nvidea shield...

Last edited by notoriouskeef; 12-05-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:

4k projectors do upscale. Light coming into the room isn't the only issue to consider when purchasing a screen and a projector. Light reflecting off the ceiling, side walls, and floor can reduce picture quality by reflecting light back onto the screen and washing out the image. Throw distance is also a consideration as you have to have the projector so many feet back into the room to project a large image, unless you choose an ultra short throw projector. If you have been in your house a year and are just now contemplating a projector makes me think you have some reservations about projectors in general. You will not get the image quality you can from a high quality LCD, LED or OLED television. The tradeoff is the immersion and experience you get from a large screen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
4k projectors do upscale. Light coming into the room isn't the only issue to consider when purchasing a screen and a projector. Light reflecting off the ceiling, side walls, and floor can reduce picture quality by reflecting light back onto the screen and washing out the image. Throw distance is also a consideration as you have to have the projector so many feet back into the room to project a large image, unless you choose an ultra short throw projector. If you have been in your house a year and are just now contemplating a projector makes me think you have some reservations about projectors in general. You will not get the image quality you can from a high quality LCD, LED or OLED television. The tradeoff is the immersion and experience you get from a large screen.

no reservations I've just been too busy to think about it really. Now that it's cold outside and I'm bored I have some (a lot) of free time. I would probably go no bigger than 120 inches.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
no reservations I've just been too busy to think about it really. Now that it's cold outside and I'm bored I have some (a lot) of free time. I would probably go no bigger than 120 inches.
With that screen size you have a ton of options for projectors. Have fun researching. Happy hunting. Don't skimp on the projection screen. You can have that for decades. Projectors you will change every 3 to 5 years , if not more frequently.

post #8 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 93
for your Cinematic Experience go for a projector @ 120" or more + 5.1up sound system

this Guy experienced it
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...tvs-again.html

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #9 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 599
With that kind of budget and a dedicated room you want a JVC. If you can find one a RS540 old stock would do very well but a new full 4K NX7 is around your budget. Treat the room with dark colors especially the ceiling and with an inexpensive screen like a silver ticket it will come as close as you can get to a OLED in front projection. Always buy the projector first and use the wall or temporary screen for a few weeks to find out what screen size/AR/seating distance works for you and the room before even considering a screen. Projectors in dedicated rooms blow any kind of TV out of the water. In less then ideal rooms is where it gets very complicated trying to use Front projection.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #10 of 18 Old 12-06-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Not sure how far you are sitting from your screen. But, that's an early question. Along with light control, room color, room size, etc. But, generally, you want at least 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. So, from 12' away, a 120" to 150" diagonal image is quite common among forum members here at AVS.

I'm 100% with @rekbones on this in that with a bigger budget, you should be looking at JVC and you can read reviews of the RS2000/NX7 here: https://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC...tor-Review.htm

The reality is that black levels from JVC may realistically only be bested by OLED. Otherwise, it's the top game in town, with Sony throwing in some good punches.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-30-2019, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'd seriously step into a place that has projectors set up and test them out for yourself. I recently purchased a Fengmi "4k" projector from Alibaba. I've owned BenQ (1080p) projectors in the past and must say I was thoroughly underwhelmed (attempted to return via Alibaba, but they wanted me to pay 500 to prove that my projector wasn't as advertised...so I'd be out the price of a 1080p projector just to prove a 4k one didn't work - I digress).

After a little more research, being an 4k OLED tv and monitor user (I'm a software engineer by trade), there seems to be a lot more variability in quality with regard to 4k projectors. I was surprised to find that the quality I'd become accustomed to was sorely lacking with a similarly priced projector.

I'm not saying that projection is bad at all -- just don't pay for something (4k) you're not getting in this price point as of December 2019. Right now we're in Faux-K (or EDTV if you recall when that was being marketed) land. It's meant to help you in superficial conversation about your setup without actually delivering.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-30-2019, 09:49 AM

What price was that alibaba projector?

You need to spend about 1400 for a good 4k projector but then those aren’t fauxK. They render each and every pixel individually on your screen.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-30-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

Wanting the best picture while streaming doesn't really make sense FYI.

Like buying Premium Fuel for your Kia Sportage.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-30-2019, 02:29 PM

At this point streaming 4K (especially using wired instead of wireless) isn’t that far off from the uhd discs. It’s probably 95% of the way there, so more like comparing a BMW 3-Series to an M3.

It’s close enough that you can just stream for 1/4 the cost of uhd discs and more convenience and be fine. And of course a ton of content is streaming only not on uhd discs (eg 4k tv shows).

And in doing so, you want the best picture possible. No need to put down streaming.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-30-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrabbit19 View Post
At this point streaming 4K (especially using wired instead of wireless) isn’t that far off from the uhd discs. It’s probably 95% of the way there, so more like comparing a BMW 3-Series to an M3.

It’s close enough that you can just stream for 1/4 the cost of uhd discs and more convenience and be fine. And of course a ton of content is streaming only not on uhd discs (eg 4k tv shows).

And in doing so, you want the best picture possible. No need to put down streaming.
Not really that close, but looks acceptable to many people.
Audio is a different issue.

Last edited by noob00224; 12-30-2019 at 08:57 PM.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-30-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
Witcher looked good on Netflix in 4k non-HDR mode on a JVC.

A lot of it depends on the content / disk too, I noticed Aquaman on the Panny 420 had some noise in certain scenes (though color looked really good), at first I thought it was my new projector until I watched some streaming stuff that was cleaner than the disk.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #17 of 18 Old 12-30-2019, 09:51 PM

Both are hella compressed

A 2 hour movie is 10TB uncompressed 4K and a disc is 66 or 100GB.

Now streaming isn’t sending 33GB/hour to you so the bitrate is lower but they use different codecs do some scenes will look better streaming than on disc just due to how it’s compressed.

A disc is still compressed 100:1 or more.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-02-2020, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrabbit19 View Post
Both are hella compressed

A 2 hour movie is 10TB uncompressed 4K and a disc is 66 or 100GB.

Now streaming isn’t sending 33GB/hour to you so the bitrate is lower but they use different codecs do some scenes will look better streaming than on disc just due to how it’s compressed.

A disc is still compressed 100:1 or more.
2hour streaming will be like 18gb, compared to 70-90. Pretty noisy when a lot is on the screen.

1080p stuff on Netflix looks like garbage. Especially dark scenes... why spring for an OLED to see all that dark scene noise and macro blocking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page