Short throw options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-07-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Short throw options

Time for an upgrade! I’m coming from a wonderful Sony Vpl 40es and looking to stay under 4k. Projector is used for 90% movies in a light controlled home theater. We watch 3d movies a once or twice a month and also sports a few times a month.

The sony has been very good to me but its getting old and im looking to increase my screen from 92” to 110” if possible. I have roughly 9.5 feet for throw distance depending on the projector. The only short throw projectors I could find are the Benq HT 3550 and the Viewsonic 700LS-4k. I actually purchased the viewsonic but its been delayed for most of the year and I'm not hopeful it's coming anytime soon lol.

Requirements:
  • Above average 3d
  • Above average contrast ( think the ht3350 lacks in this department)

Two questions:

• Are there any other short throw projectors that would meet my requirements?
  • Can i just purchase an aftermarket short throw lens for another projector like the benq ht5550 or epson 5040ub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-07-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezz621 View Post
Time for an upgrade! I’m coming from a wonderful Sony Vpl 40es and looking to stay under 4k. Projector is used for 90% movies in a light controlled home theater. We watch 3d movies a once or twice a month and also sports a few times a month.

The sony has been very good to me but its getting old and im looking to increase my screen from 92” to 110” if possible. I have roughly 9.5 feet for throw distance depending on the projector. The only short throw projectors I could find are the Benq HT 3550 and the Viewsonic 700LS-4k. I actually purchased the viewsonic but its been delayed for most of the year and I'm not hopeful it's coming anytime soon lol.

Requirements:
  • Above average 3d

Two questions:

• Can i just purchase an aftermarket short throw lens for another projector like the benq ht5550 or epson 5040ub?
The Optoma UHD50/51a/51ALV/52ALV will give a ~108in 16x9 image from 9.5ft:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ulator-pro.htm

I'm happy with my UHD50 but the 51A might be a better choice for your setup. You might also look at some of the 4K UST projectors such as the Optoma P1
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:

Requirements:
  • Above average 3d

Two questions:

What color are the walls?

Can't speak for the lens, but there are no ST/UST projectors that will even match the HW40 in black level. And I don't believe any are coming soon.

3LCD on Epson's are susceptible to ghosting in 3D.
DLP are best for 3D, but none have good black level, not in this price range at least.

A compromise will have to be made. Black level and a smaller size screen or 3D, a larger screen and poorer black levels?

Why not keep this one for the black levels, and get a shorter throw 1080p for 3D?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
What color are the walls?

Can't speak for the lens, but there are no ST/UST projectors that will even match the HW40 in black level. And I don't believe any are coming soon.

3LCD on Epson's are susceptible to ghosting in 3D.
DLP are best for 3D, but none have good black level, not in this price range at least.

A compromise will have to be made. Black level and a smaller size screen or 3D, a larger screen and poorer black levels?

Why not keep this one for the black levels, and get a shorter throw 1080p for 3D?

Keeping the second projector was a consideration as well. It just seems a lot simpler to have one projector but i'd definitely consider it.

How does the Benq 5550 compare with the Sony 40es black level? The HT 5550 has smaller dimensions and therefore can probably throw a 100 inch screen. If the ht 5550 is comparable to the Sony 40es then that might be a compromise.

I'm not even sure with my wall colors that the black level is a high priority. As you can see from the pictures there's some white trim but most of the walls/ceiling are a dark brown and the screen is surrounded by black fabric.

Also i could place the projector further back, but as you can see from the photos it would be an unsightly location.

Thanks for the feedback
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_162555.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	976.1 KB
ID:	2651012   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_162809.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1,004.6 KB
ID:	2651014  
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
The Optoma UHD50/51a/51ALV/52ALV will give a ~108in 16x9 image from 9.5ft:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ulator-pro.htm

I'm happy with my UHD50 but the 51A might be a better choice for your setup. You might also look at some of the 4K UST projectors such as the Optoma P1

Sweet! I'll look into the optoma as well.

I love the idea of the UST projectors but i'm reading they dont have the same black level and overall picture quality of traditional projectors.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sweet! I'll look into the optoma as well.

I love the idea of the UST projectors but i'm reading they dont have the same black level and overall picture quality of traditional projectors.

UST projectors actually do quite well and would be well suited to your room. This is a comparative article on USTs:

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...e-focale-2019/ (in french but you can use google translate for english)

and a review of the UHZ65UST (in North America = P1):

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/

The above puts out over 2000 calibrated lumens and would be an excellent choice and the 3D would be fantastic.

Here's a review of the LG HU85LA:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

Regarding the UHD50/51A/51ALV/52ALV, these have about a 6in shorter case than the Sony and should give 10ft distance to screen and up to 114in screen size. The last two (UHD51ALV/52ALV) are limited to REC709 but are considerably brighter and this really helps with 3D. The case and fan design produces an exceptionally quiet projector as well.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Keeping the second projector was a consideration as well. It just seems a lot simpler to have one projector but i'd definitely consider it.

How does the Benq 5550 compare with the Sony 40es black level? The HT 5550 has smaller dimensions and therefore can probably throw a 100 inch screen. If the ht 5550 is comparable to the Sony 40es then that might be a compromise.

I'm not even sure with my wall colors that the black level is a high priority. As you can see from the pictures there's some white trim but most of the walls/ceiling are a dark brown and the screen is surrounded by black fabric.

Also i could place the projector further back, but as you can see from the photos it would be an unsightly location.

Thanks for the feedback
The HT5550 is around 4 inches shorter, so an 100" screen is feasible.

Black levels on the HW40 will be slightly better than the HT5550, but the Benq achieves this with an active iris. The HW40 has around 5000:1 native contrast, no iris. Native is better.

Although the walls are not treated, that setup will be suitable for a projector with ok black level.

Those Optoma 50/51 mentioned don't have good black level, compared to what the Sony can do.
If you want to go with a projector with mediocre blacks, go with the HT3550. It at least has an iris.

The two UST's are ok black level wise.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The HT5550 is around 4 inches shorter, so an 100" screen is feasible.

Black levels on the HW40 will be slightly better than the HT5550, but the Benq achieves this with an active iris. The HW40 has around 5000:1 native contrast, no iris. Native is better.

Although the walls are not treated, that setup will be suitable for a projector with ok black level.

Those Optoma 50/51 mentioned don't have good black level, compared to what the Sony can do.
If you want to go with a projector with mediocre blacks, go with the HT3550. It at least has an iris.

The two UST's are ok black level wise.
The Optoma UD50/51A are considerably brighter than the HT3550, which helps with the perceived black levels and, of course, with 3D. Dynamic Black works as an Iris and also considerably extends bulb life. My opinion is to consider the HT3550 as a top choice for higher gain screen sizes of ~100in or less.

From Erbele's ( reviews: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...ay/projectors/ )

UHD51A:
In HDR mode with the lamp on Bright mode and Dynamic Black on, I measured 224 nits peak, .1308 nits black, and 1711.7:1 contrast.

224 nits on a 92in screen = ~1630 lumens which is why I can use my UHD50 on a 145in low gain grey screen.

HT3550:
In HDR mode, with the lamp on Normal and the Dynamic Iris on High, peak white was 90.6794 nits, black was .0434 nits, and contrast was 2090.4:1.

in a less than optimal room, a brighter projector will give a better perception of black because the eye judges blacks relative to the the brighter portions of the image. Actual, on screen, contrast is always just a fraction of contrast measured directly from the projector. High output is especially important for HDR content.

Last edited by DunMunro; 12-08-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-09-2019, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
UST projectors actually do quite well and would be well suited to your room. This is a comparative article on USTs:

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...e-focale-2019/ (in french but you can use google translate for english)

and a review of the UHZ65UST (in North America = P1):

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/

The above puts out over 2000 calibrated lumens and would be an excellent choice and the 3D would be fantastic.

Here's a review of the LG HU85LA:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

Regarding the UHD50/51A/51ALV/52ALV, these have about a 6in shorter case than the Sony and should give 10ft distance to screen and up to 114in screen size. The last two (UHD51ALV/52ALV) are limited to REC709 but are considerably brighter and this really helps with 3D. The case and fan design produces an exceptionally quiet projector as well.

The Optoma P1 looks amazing! I'm seriously considering getting one. Only issue is, It seems hard to find comparisons between UST and regular projectors. I might just have to purchase one and see for myself.

The LG HU85 looks amazing too, but i wouldn't buy one due to price and no blu ray 3d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page