Alternative to Benq HT2050a - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Alternative to Benq HT2050a

Just bought a Benq ht2050a which I am loving so far. The only problem is zoom is minimal so don't have lot of options on where to place projector. Ending up having to move couch forward (it's in middle of room) about 8 inches so could project on stand behind me (have fan that would block image if mounted on ceiling). This puts me a bit closer to the screen than I would have liked. One thing I noticed is that when I connect my Surface Pro that has resolution of 2736 x 1824 and set as duplicate displays, the projector which is 1080p "shrinks" image, as expected. This allows me to move the projector back about a foot for optimal placement. My first question is, is there any drawback to this "workaround"? Image doesn't look too different to me, but so far have only been able to test in light when image isn't super crisp anyway.

Regardless, I am seriously considering just swapping the Benq for another projector. Are there any other sub $1k projectors of a similar quality that allows for more flexible placement? Looked at Epson 2150 but consensus seems to ben that the ht2050a blows it out of water. Would rather not take too big a step back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt89 View Post
Just bought a Benq ht2050a which I am loving so far. The only problem is zoom is minimal so don't have lot of options on where to place projector. Ending up having to move couch forward (it's in middle of room) about 8 inches so could project on stand behind me (have fan that would block image if mounted on ceiling). This puts me a bit closer to the screen than I would have liked. One thing I noticed is that when I connect my Surface Pro that has resolution of 2736 x 1824 and set as duplicate displays, the projector which is 1080p "shrinks" image, as expected. This allows me to move the projector back about a foot for optimal placement. My first question is, is there any drawback to this "workaround"? Image doesn't look too different to me, but so far have only been able to test in light when image isn't super crisp anyway.

Regardless, I am seriously considering just swapping the Benq for another projector. Are there any other sub $1k projectors of a similar quality that allows for more flexible placement? Looked at Epson 2150 but consensus seems to ben that the ht2050a blows it out of water. Would rather not take too big a step back
Can't find way to edit post, but should add primarily looking to use the PJ for movies and television with some light gaming thrown in and can get room nice and dark as needed.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 2946 Post(s)
Liked: 3017
Alternative to Benq HT2050a

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt89 View Post
Can't find way to edit post, but should add primarily looking to use the PJ for movies and television with some light gaming thrown in and can get room nice and dark as needed.

The Ht2050A is my favorite 1080p projector below $1000. It’s sharp, bright, has excellent color, has about the best contrast for the price and thanks to it’s combination of class leading input lag and motion resolution it is an excellent gaming display.

The HT2050A, like most affordable DLPs, lacks a lot of lens shift/zoom. So if you’re looking for a projector with a longer throw and more lens shift you’d probably want to look at the (now discontinued) Epson 3100. It’s not as sharp as the BenQ and doesn’t have nearly the same motion handling but it does have comparable contrast (even better blacks due to the iris) and it’s feature packed with significant horizontal and vertical lens shift as well as zoom. It is the most flexible projector (in terms of placement) for the price.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 12-08-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-09-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I dont know why you think Epson 2150 would be a huge step backwards. But even though it has better zoom its throw ratio is smaller so putting out a smaller image than ht2050a, so it won’t work for your case.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 589
The Epson 3100/3700 or the newer 3200/3800 are defiantly the king of low cost projectors with very flexible placement ability. They do have a longer throw then the BenQ but other wise can be shelf mounted anywhere between 10% of screen height above or below the screen or anywhere in-between inverted or right side up. Horizontal shift is also available although it will limit vertical to some degree.

EDIT: as far a PQ between them they are very similar and both in the same class. LCD of course will look different then DLP but both have their plusses and minuses. Epson has inexpensive lamps, is brighter for less then ideal rooms and guarantied no RBE. DLP is great for 3D, much better pixel fill and very fast video imaging for motion handling.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS

Last edited by rekbones; 12-09-2019 at 08:59 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
The Epson 3100/3700 or the newer 3200/3800 are defiantly the king of low cost projectors with very flexible placement ability. They do have a longer throw then the BenQ but other wise can be shelf mounted anywhere between 10% of screen height above or below the screen or anywhere in-between inverted or right side up. Horizontal shift is also available although it will limit vertical to some degree.

EDIT: as far a PQ between them they are very similar and both in the same class. LCD of course will look different then DLP but both have their plusses and minuses. Epson has inexpensive lamps, is brighter for less then ideal rooms and guarantied no RBE. DLP is great for 3D, much better pixel fill and very fast video imaging for motion handling.
I read in a recent post it's not recommended to use the horizontal lens shift, apparently taken from some review.
Can't find the post right now. I think @Dave in Green made the post.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
I agree completely that if you need placement flexibility on a budget, then you are in the Epson 3200/3800 range, or hit up their Clearance Store and get a 3100 or 3700 and call it done.

If these don't work for you, then you may need to adjust your room and expectations.

The BenQ HT2050a, like all projectors, has a well published throw distance. The offset is also well discussed and clearly defined. It is also very consistent with other top rated models in this price class with a 1.3x zoom lens. Other than the Epson 2150, there aren't any projectors under $700 that really have even as much zoom as what the 2050a offers. But, if you need more, you will need a projector with a much different lens.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

You should not be using a 'smaller area' of the projected image, ever. This reduces the on-screen resolution and isn't a good thing.

I'm not sure how you are only getting part of the usable on-screen area when hooked up to your laptop, that's just not a good thing. Your laptop should be putting out 1920x1080 resolution to the projector and it should fill the screen completely. Anything short of that then you need to play with the laptop settings and perhaps the projector aspect ratio until things fill the full 1920x1080 matrix that the HT2050a offers.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
I read in a recent post it's not recommended to use the horizontal lens shift, apparently taken from some review.
Can't find the post right now. I think @Dave in Green made the post.
What I said was it's generally not recommended to use excessive horizontal lens shift. Using a small amount of horizontal lens shift to fine tune image centering is fine.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanks all for your responses. Seems like refurbished 3100 may be way to go here for that increased throw distance. Sad to part with this great ht2050a, but the room is what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page